Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby just_wondering08 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:51 pm

My neighbor's daughter was given six weeks because photos from the internet were given to the supt. depicting her at a party drinking. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding internet party photos and eligibility rules? The girl in the photo was not actually holding a liquor container or drinking, but all the other students around her were and there were beer and whiskey bottles on the table.
just_wondering08

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:20 pm

many schools have a "guilt by association" rule.......if you're there. drinking or not, its 6 weeks 1st offense, and so on. The NDHSAA doesn't have that rule....individual schools may have stricter codes than the HSAA and many do. example, summer drinking rules, some schools if caught drinking during summer no punishment; some schools punishment just as tho school were in session. obviously her school has a guilt by association rule in force.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:46 pm

just_wondering08 wrote:My neighbor's daughter was given six weeks because photos from the internet were given to the supt. depicting her at a party drinking. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding internet party photos and eligibility rules? The girl in the photo was not actually holding a liquor container or drinking, but all the other students around her were and there were beer and whiskey bottles on the table.

must be alot of jealousy in that school if one student is bringing in pictures to a supt. to have a girl suspended. my guess would be the girl wanst getting the playing time she wanted so she printed pics off facebook or myspace and got the girl ahead of her suspended
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:55 pm

Last year there was an athlete suspended because a girl put a photo of him on her myspace page and there was drinking in the backround. The AD was emailed the myspace link.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vballfan06 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:49 am

well it's pretty much common sense: don't put pictures of yourself at a party on the internet. that's pretty much a no-brainer.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:16 am

vballfan06 wrote:well it's pretty much common sense: don't put pictures of yourself at a party on the internet. that's pretty much a no-brainer.

yep, duh,
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:13 am

vballfan06 wrote:well it's pretty much common sense: don't put pictures of yourself at a party on the internet. that's pretty much a no-brainer.

I realize that...but what if someone else puts a picture of you on their site??? They should just ban all cameras from parties. (or not party)
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 am

Baller wrote:

I realize that...but what if someone else puts a picture of you on their site??? They should just ban all cameras from parties. (or not party)

Let's see if I get this right......you want to ban cameras, not parties?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:42 am

highheat wrote:i think the guilty by association rule needs to be changed a little. if there are pictures of a person at a party and there are other people drinking but that one person is not drinking, that does not imply that that person has been drinking.

i also disagree with school systems rules not matching up with the law. if a student is at a party and the cops show up, that person can request a breathalyzer to show that they were not taking part in any illegal activities. but that persons name gets put onto the same list of people who were drinking which gets sent to the school. that student receives the same punishment as a student who was drinking.

But this goes back to the tobacco thing too...If a player is 18 it is still against the rules to smoke....In some schools...even if they are not drinking, it is still against the rules to be at a party
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:17 am

There is one really easy answer to this - if you want to participate in extra-curricular activities, stay away from parties where illegal stuff is occurring.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportshound » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:32 am

Get real-- if you are not of age-- Don't Be at a party where there is drinking. And the age is 21-- so you shouldn't be in HS sports or activities anymore right???

simple thing is to remove yourself from any of those situations and then you will not be in a pic.
you will not be associated to the party in any way IF you are not THERE!

Boy it is tough for kids to understand that just because you think that nobody knows or has seen, that you are immune to it all.

don't be in a situation and you ahve nothing to worry about.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:20 pm

highheat wrote:it might just be me but it seems like school systems are trying to do far too much beyond educating the students. too much time is spent punishing students for their wrong doings outside of school and educating them on what is right/wrong to do. more time should be spent praising and encouraging students for their accomplishments in school. i cant recall one time in high school hearing about something positive happening when a student was called into the principals office but i can recall dozens of times other students were called into the office for their out of school activities.

i know most kids who arent drinking at the parties are there just to be with their friends. i dont see why they cant be there if theyre doing nothing wrong.

a picture cannot prove that a person consumed alcohol at a party where alcohol was present.

We are talking about schools that have guilt by association rles though....Even though they were not drinking, they were still there and in many schools that is 6 weeks
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm

ive seen pictures where there isnt a party but just two people at a house and in the background there is a liquor bottle or case of beer....the sad thing is that could be implied as they were drinking it just as easily if u see party photos
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:47 pm

baseball wrote:ive seen pictures where there isnt a party but just two people at a house and in the background there is a liquor bottle or case of beer....the sad thing is that could be implied as they were drinking it just as easily if u see party photos

I hear what you are saying, Baseball, in that photos could be imply guilt when there is none. But please, let's give our school administrators a little credit. I think the first question asked by the administrator would be to determine if this was a party where alcohol was being CONSUMED, not just sitting around in the background.

And I would like to say this, not directly to you, Baseball, but just as a general point: the point of these rules is to hold those that participate in extra-curriculars to a higher standard. It is a privilege, not a right. Athletes ARE role models to younger people and if schools wish to stipulate that their athletes not be associated with alcohol parties, more power to them.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:49 pm

That is absolutely correct.

It's been my personal experience that about 8 out of 10 people I've talked to wish they had been more serious students/athletes while they were in high school. There is a whole lifetime to party after you are done with high school. It really is ok to go against peer pressure and stay away from people who are drinking.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 7-11 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:34 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:That is absolutely correct.

It's been my personal experience that about 8 out of 10 people I've talked to wish they had been more serious students/athletes while they were in high school. There is a whole lifetime to party after you are done with high school. It really is ok to go against peer pressure and stay away from people who are drinking.

I agree. Athletes are and should be held to a higher standard; too bad our professional role models don't remember their influence. Even in high school, the elementary kids are in awe of the high school players. But I do believe that guilty by being in the area of drinking is too subjective, with too many variables, to have a hard rule. If an athlete goes to a gathering, sees drinking and leaves, he or she technically was still there. So is it then a question of how long before leaving? Recognition of the drinking? I would be willing to bet that every gathering has the potential of having alcohol and the students know it. All you can do is educate them not to give in to the peer pressure. What if the gathering didn't have any alcohol, and someone shows up with it in a pocket? The criminal system no longer can successfully prosecute constructive possession, such as a party or a vehicle without actual consumption or possession. That's why the statute is minor in possession or minor in consumption. The alcohol issue is always there, wherever the students go or get together. To allow any school or administrator to create their own law and administer it based on mere presence, without a check on their own subjectivity, or axes to grind with certain athletes, without any appeal right known to me, is wrong because you really cannot draw the line clearly as to timing, place, knowledge or other relevant factors. It's a strict liability rule, without a defense. Either they drank or had possession, but give those who don't at least the respect of making the right decision by not doing so. Should they leave, of course. But then, they're already guilty under the rule.
7-11

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:38 pm

why does everyone feel that athletes should be held on a higher standard jsut because they have a god given ability to shoot a jump shot or through a fastball 90+? just becuase kids look up to them doesnt mean that they have to have their life scripted out for them. dont get me wrong...im not saying drinking and smoking is right...but they deserve the chance to learn from their mistakes just as much as the kid who isnt in any activities. everyone is on the same level whether they can play ball or not....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:41 pm

7-11 wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:That is absolutely correct.

I agree. Athletes are and should be held to a higher standard; too bad our professional role models don't remember their influence. Even in high school, the elementary kids are in awe of the high school players. But I do believe that guilty by being in the area of drinking is too subjective, with too many variables, to have a hard rule. If an athlete goes to a gathering, sees drinking and leaves, he or she technically was still there. So is it then a question of how long before leaving? Recognition of the drinking? I would be willing to bet that every gathering has the potential of having alcohol and the students know it. All you can do is educate them not to give in to the peer pressure. What if the gathering didn't have any alcohol, and someone shows up with it in a pocket? The criminal system no longer can successfully prosecute constructive possession, such as a party or a vehicle without actual consumption or possession. That's why the statute is minor in possession or minor in consumption. The alcohol issue is always there, wherever the students go or get together. To allow any school or administrator to create their own law and administer it based on mere presence, without a check on their own subjectivity, or axes to grind with certain athletes, without any appeal right known to me, is wrong because you really cannot draw the line clearly as to timing, place, knowledge or other relevant factors. It's a strict liability rule, without a defense. Either they drank or had possession, but give those who don't at least the respect of making the right decision by not doing so. Should they leave, of course. But then, they're already guilty under the rule.

why should they leave? i know that if i had to choose t hang out with my friends at a party or do nothing i would pick hang out with them....doenst mean i have to drink, so just because i dont want to drink its my duty to leave?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:27 pm

This has happened at MPCG quite a few times. I believe they are banning photos that show evidence of doing illegal activity. I think that other schools should do the same.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby opinionated » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Point 1 there is not legal standard.

Point 2 your student is smart enough to play varsity athletics but not smart enough not to leave the parties alone until graduation.

point 3 if you are at a party and you get caught it is your own fault, why come here and complain to a bunch of teenagers

point 4 I hope you punished her for going to a party and not putting her teammates first

point 5 when will people ever learn that we live in a glass cage and everyone sees what you are doing and when they get the chance to turn on you, they will

Point 6 you need to be a parent not an excuse maker for your student

Point 7 enough said
I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!
opinionated
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:44 pm

cubsfan wrote:This has happened at MPCG quite a few times. I believe they are banning photos that show evidence of doing illegal activity. I think that other schools should do the same.

let's copy the community of mayville which has what...six or seven bars for 2500 people...yeah.

and that is coming from an mpcg grad for christ's sake.
rep

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Yes, MayPort has a higher number of bars compared to other towns its size, but that is because they have a college in their town. Add a few hundred 21 yr old college students to the population and it can support a greater number of bars.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:55 pm

highheat wrote:it might just be me but it seems like school systems are trying to do far too much beyond educating the students. too much time is spent punishing students for their wrong doings outside of school and educating them on what is right/wrong to do. more time should be spent praising and encouraging students for their accomplishments in school. i cant recall one time in high school hearing about something positive happening when a student was called into the principals office but i can recall dozens of times other students were called into the office for their out of school activities.

i know most kids who arent drinking at the parties are there just to be with their friends. i dont see why they cant be there if theyre doing nothing wrong.

a picture cannot prove that a person consumed alcohol at a party where alcohol was present.

There was an editorial in the Bismarck Tribune about blaming the education system for everything. You have stated that it is not the schools responsibility to build character. However, more and more schools are placed in a situation tha requires them to teach these things. Absentee parenting has become the norm rather than the exception.
And concerning being called into the principal's office, I will throw out brown noser and goddy goody as the terms students use on those occassions so usually the students called in on a positive note won't admit it anyway.

There is no way that character can be seperated from a person. And teaching appears to be a very personal activity.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 am

Wild Wolves wrote:

There was an editorial in the Bismarck Tribune about blaming the education system for everything. You have stated that it is not the schools responsibility to build character. However, more and more schools are placed in a situation tha requires them to teach these things. Absentee parenting has become the norm rather than the exception.
And concerning being called into the principal's office, I will throw out brown noser and goddy goody as the terms students use on those occassions so usually the students called in on a positive note won't admit it anyway.

There is no way that character can be seperated from a person. And teaching appears to be a very personal activity.

here, here
most teachers do praise and educate, the principal's job in large part is discipline; and even that is tough with parents coming in....my johnnie can't be punished, it's not his fault, someone made him do it; my linda would never cheat, the teacher is out to get her..........try being the school admin/teachers once; you'll get a whole new perspective on some kids and parents

Parties with alcohol, drinking; it's against school & NDHSAA policy for all students, don't go, avoid the situation, make a positive & responsible choice
you know the penalty, you know the rules; why argue when you're caught?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dtvman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:

here, here
most teachers do praise and educate, the principal's job in large part is discipline; and even that is tough with parents coming in....my johnnie can't be punished, it's not his fault, someone made him do it; my linda would never cheat, the teacher is out to get her..........try being the school admin/teachers once; you'll get a whole new perspective on some kids and parents

Parties with alcohol, drinking; it's against school & NDHSAA policy for all students, don't go, avoid the situation, make a positive & responsible choice
you know the penalty, you know the rules; why argue when you're caught?

It always amazes me. The rules are no different now than when I was in high school. I was well aware of the rules and knew the consequences of breaking those rules, as did all of my classmates. When we messed up and got caught we took our punishment. Why do kids now think that the rules that they are all well aware of shouldn't apply to them? Most of the time the fear of having to tell our parents was a bigger issue than the actual suspension.
I will say that a picture may not be the most solid evidence in this day and age of photoshop. Hopefully the suspensions are coming from more evidence than just the pictures. But if admin sees the picture, calls you in, and you admit you were there, you are getting exactly what you deserve.
You should consider yourself lucky if it is just the school you end up dealing with. If the party is busted by the cops and you get a minor in possesion you have a whole new set of problems. The reality is that you need to make a choice between extra curricular activities and drinking and partying.
dtvman

Next

Return to Hot Topics