Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:23 pm

slapshot wrote:A student that plays sports and a student that doesn't both still get a high school diploma. So why should a student who works hard (practice, raffles, ect.) be punished differently than one who just goes to school? Mabye a student who gets caught drinking or smoking should be kicked out of school for a week. This is a much more fair and equal punishment for all students.

Because it is not against the rules of the school if you go out and drink on the weekends....it is against the rules of sports if you do that. Therefore, no punishment for school(didnt break school rules) whereas there is punishment for sports (against the rules)

If you do not want to abide by the rules, then you do not have to play.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby slapshot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 pm

That's exactly correct. No Rules apply for students not in sports. Isn't there something wrong here? All students shouldn't be drinking! Why doesn't the school make the students sign contracts. They already do for tardies, the students get detention after a tardy contract is signed. I guess the schools only care about the student athlete. Thanks so much for careing so deeply as to give students a 6 week suspension for a deterant. All other students---bottoms up.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:36 pm

slapshot wrote:That's exactly correct. No Rules apply for students not in sports. Isn't there something wrong here? All students shouldn't be drinking! Why doesn't the school make the students sign contracts. They already do for tardies, the students get detention after a tardy contract is signed. I guess the schools only care about the student athlete. Thanks so much for careing so deeply as to give students a 6 week suspension for a deterant. All other students---bottoms up.

Because tardies are an in school behavior...they can't punish you for out of school behavior. If you get in a fight off school grounds, that is up to law enforcement to deal with, just like if you are drinking on the weekend. If you drink in school, then there are consequenses and suspensions involved.

It also involves the righ to free public education...Schools are required to provide education. They are not required to provide extracurriculars.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:10 am

slapshot wrote:That's exactly correct. No Rules apply for students not in sports. Isn't there something wrong here? All students shouldn't be drinking! Why doesn't the school make the students sign contracts. They already do for tardies, the students get detention after a tardy contract is signed. I guess the schools only care about the student athlete. Thanks so much for careing so deeply as to give students a 6 week suspension for a deterant. All other students---bottoms up.

So what exactly are you trying to get at here? Are you saying that law enforcement shouldnt be involved with kids that are still in school just because it isn't fair that one kid who DECIDES NOT TO play sports and DECIDES TO go out and drink? On the other hand you have a student who DECIDES TO play sports and DECIDES TO go out and drink? Give me a break, nothing about life is fair. It is the students choice that he/she goes out for extracurricular activities, because it doesnt just happen in sports, as well as it is his/her choice to go out and drink.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby slapshot » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:35 pm

The topic was internet pics- and student-athletes getting punished for beer cans in the Background. So according to your logic If a student decides not to drink alcohol, then they are not breaking any rules. Then why are they getting punished for "mere presence"? These students chose not to break the rules, but still got punished! You also didn't say why they consider it a "privilage" to play sports. EXPLAIN - PRIVILAGE:?
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:59 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
slapshot wrote:If there some people that don't believe that school officials don't go out of there way to bust a kid your in a fantasy world. I personally watched an asst. principal dig a pop bottle out of the garbage (after following 2 students in) outdide the up center in Fargo, open it and smell it!! I'm assuming he was sniffing for "chew spit" When I got out of my vehicle I asked him if he Lost Something he seemed embarrased and walked away. Also, don't give me "its a privilage" to play sports crap! These kids practice 1-2 hours daily, Travel on weekends, sell raffle tickets, donate their time to help work youth games, lift weights, get A's and B's in school, and keep a part time jobs! If you don't play sports you get absolutly NO punishment from school. Mabye we should kick the students that don't play sports out of school for 6 weeks.

So if you are saying its not a priviledge it must be a right? If you want to play sports, you have to follow the rules of the NDHSAA and the school. It is a priviledge, yeah kids work hard to participate in them but if the school didnt have a sports program you would hear all this complaining from students that it is a priviledge for them to have it because they have worked hard and stayed out of trouble. Its simple if you dont want to work hard at something and still participate you probably arent going to be very successful at it, yeah some kids get by on talent alone without putting work in, but its life you cant have everything handed to you and expect to excell in it without putting in the necessary time.

Correct, it is a right. if a kid gets caught drinking or smoking..they get the RIGHT to play sports taken away fro 6 weeks, just like a convicted felon gets their RIGHT to vote taken away.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:05 am

I guess that i see it as a privaledge to play sports, if it was a right then every school everywhere would have every extracirricular activity possible within their own school. And comparing it to someone voting, that is an amedment to the constitution, i dont see anywhere in the constitution that says every student has the right to play high school sports. Some schools dont have the funding to get a team or group together to participate and have to send there students elsewhere to participate and in some cases these schools are an hour or two away and in most cases it is up for the students to drive themselves to these deals. And talking about students that are going to be at parties and not drink, then fine they have a choice there to. Its not like the school bus takes them to a party, drops them off and locks them inside. If you want to go to the party fine, im not saying its wrong, if someone wants to do fine. Its there life and if thats how they choose to live it then good for them. Its just that people have to understand that it was there choice to go to the party and they knew the rules, they got caught simple as that and now they have to pay the price.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 am

slapshot wrote:If there some people that don't believe that school officials don't go out of there way to bust a kid your in a fantasy world. I personally watched an asst. principal dig a pop bottle out of the garbage (after following 2 students in) outdide the up center in Fargo, open it and smell it!! I'm assuming he was sniffing for "chew spit" When I got out of my vehicle I asked him if he Lost Something he seemed embarrased and walked away. Also, don't give me "its a privilage" to play sports crap! These kids practice 1-2 hours daily, Travel on weekends, sell raffle tickets, donate their time to help work youth games, lift weights, get A's and B's in school, and keep a part time jobs! If you don't play sports you get absolutly NO punishment from school. Mabye we should kick the students that don't play sports out of school for 6 weeks.

Playing sports IS a privilege. It is not a God-given right. You don't follow the rules, you don't play. PERIOD!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:40 am

bballfan7 wrote:I guess that i see it as a privaledge to play sports, if it was a right then every school everywhere would have every extracirricular activity possible within their own school. And comparing it to someone voting, that is an amedment to the constitution, i dont see anywhere in the constitution that says every student has the right to play high school sports. Some schools dont have the funding to get a team or group together to participate and have to send there students elsewhere to participate and in some cases these schools are an hour or two away and in most cases it is up for the students to drive themselves to these deals. And talking about students that are going to be at parties and not drink, then fine they have a choice there to. Its not like the school bus takes them to a party, drops them off and locks them inside. If you want to go to the party fine, im not saying its wrong, if someone wants to do fine. Its there life and if thats how they choose to live it then good for them. Its just that people have to understand that it was there choice to go to the party and they knew the rules, they got caught simple as that and now they have to pay the price.

Every kid has the right to play though...even if they do have to drive to a different town. the opportunity is there. the NDHSAA cant deny a kid the chance to play just because he lives in a town where the school cant fund it. i would love to see them say no and watch the lawsuits pile up. and i wasnt saying its written in the constitution every kid plays. it was an example....a person breaks the law and is convicted, he gets rights taken away. if a kid drinks (breaks the NDHSAA figurative law) and gets caught, they get the right to participate in extra curiculars taken away. i wasnt saying a kid who takes a puff of a cigarette cant vote for the rest of his life.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am

baseball wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:I guess that i see it as a privaledge to play sports, if it was a right then every school everywhere would have every extracirricular activity possible within their own school. And comparing it to someone voting, that is an amedment to the constitution, i dont see anywhere in the constitution that says every student has the right to play high school sports. Some schools dont have the funding to get a team or group together to participate and have to send there students elsewhere to participate and in some cases these schools are an hour or two away and in most cases it is up for the students to drive themselves to these deals. And talking about students that are going to be at parties and not drink, then fine they have a choice there to. Its not like the school bus takes them to a party, drops them off and locks them inside. If you want to go to the party fine, im not saying its wrong, if someone wants to do fine. Its there life and if thats how they choose to live it then good for them. Its just that people have to understand that it was there choice to go to the party and they knew the rules, they got caught simple as that and now they have to pay the price.

Every kid has the right to play though...even if they do have to drive to a different town. the opportunity is there. the NDHSAA cant deny a kid the chance to play just because he lives in a town where the school cant fund it. i would love to see them say no and watch the lawsuits pile up. and i wasnt saying its written in the constitution every kid plays. it was an example....a person breaks the law and is convicted, he gets rights taken away. if a kid drinks (breaks the NDHSAA figurative law) and gets caught, they get the right to participate in extra curiculars taken away. i wasnt saying a kid who takes a puff of a cigarette cant vote for the rest of his life.

I see where you are coming from here i guess i just have a different opinion.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

I do believe the LEGAL drinking age is 21. So why is everyone getting upset... If I drive over the speed limit and get a ticket, should I get mad at the cop who gave me the ticket. If your going to do the crime, be willing to do the time.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 pm

I think what makes people mad about this whole getting in trouble for a picture thing is this...

A person may play basketball, which is obviously in the winter. Well that last summer, that person was at a socializing event with his friends. This person is at this gathering 5+ months before his/her season. THERE ARE NO TRAINING RULES DURING THE SUMMER! Yes, this person maybe breaking the law, but by NDHSAA rules, there doesn't have to be a suspension once school resumes in the fall. Most schools, if not all, have a policy where, if a student/athlete gets in trouble during the summer, they sit out some type of school funtion, e.g. football game, volleyball game, homecoming... etc. but by NDSHAA rules, that student/athlete does not have to be suspeneded.

Now by NDHSAA rule that student/athlete did not break training rules during that summer gathering. However, that picture surfaces during basketball season and he/she gets 6 weeks. I'm not saying its ok to drink in highschool, I'm just saying...

It's one thing to get caught redhanded... It's another to get caught by a facebooker creeper.

Just my opinion
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan7 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 pm

baller01 wrote:I think what makes people mad about this whole getting in trouble for a picture thing is this...

A person may play basketball, which is obviously in the winter. Well that last summer, that person was at a socializing event with his friends. This person is at this gathering 5+ months before his/her season. THERE ARE NO TRAINING RULES DURING THE SUMMER! Yes, this person maybe breaking the law, but by NDHSAA rules, there doesn't have to be a suspension once school resumes in the fall. Most schools, if not all, have a policy where, if a student/athlete gets in trouble during the summer, they sit out some type of school funtion, e.g. football game, volleyball game, homecoming... etc. but by NDSHAA rules, that student/athlete does not have to be suspeneded.

Now by NDHSAA rule that student/athlete did not break training rules during that summer gathering. However, that picture surfaces during basketball season and he/she gets 6 weeks. I'm not saying its ok to drink in highschool, I'm just saying...

It's one thing to get caught redhanded... It's another to get caught by a facebooker creeper.

Just my opinion

Yea i understand what you are saying but i dont see how people can be upset about it, it all goes back to if you want to be the best at what you do and not just play, you probably should be training and staying out of trouble rather than partying.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:30 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
baller01 wrote:I think what makes people mad about this whole getting in trouble for a picture thing is this...

Just my opinion

Yea i understand what you are saying but i dont see how people can be upset about it, it all goes back to if you want to be the best at what you do and not just play, you probably should be training and staying out of trouble rather than partying.

I agree with you 100%, but you have to realize, not everyone wants to be the best. Some people don't ever do anything more in a year except show up to practice and play the games. The majority of the people on this site are die hard sports fans that do or used to practice their respectable sports quite often. But in reality... some high school students drink more than they practice sports.

The thing that really chaps my butt, is even if that person is just at that party/bonfire/call it what you want, AND NOT DRINKING, BUT, he/she stands a takes a picture with one of their friends while that person is holding a beer, and that beer shows up in the picture... BUSTED!
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:45 am

So stay away from the party. Easy solution. And don't tell me it's impossible to stay away from parties. There are kids all over this state that are making the decision to stay away from parties or any situation that could get them in trouble.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 am

Hinsa do you realize that ND leads the nation in underage drinking? You are telling me it is an easy solution to stay away from high school parties when a great percentage of high schoolers in ND party? Any athlete who is sociable and likes to be with friends knows it is NOT easy to socialize with friends and stay away from that party...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm telling you it is a choice. There are groups of kids in my area of the state that get together at their friends' houses with parents home and have a great time. They make their own fun away from alcohol parties. They are extremely social and kids from competing towns get together at these homes that are supervised with parents at home for fun and socializing. They have beaten the peer pressure by making their own fun.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Hinsa wrote:I'm telling you it is a choice. There are groups of kids in my area of the state that get together at their friends' houses with parents home and have a great time. They make their own fun away from alcohol parties. They are extremely social and kids from competing towns get together at these homes that are supervised with parents at home for fun and socializing. They have beaten the peer pressure by making their own fun.

Hey... I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to socialize away from alochol... I just said it's not EASY when probably a large number of your peers drink.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby steve34 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Playing sports may be a right, but it's also a choice of dedication. When you choose to play, you choose to take on responsibilites that go beyond that of "just a student". I don't have a problem with penalties for athletes that are above those of just a student.

However, I think there's something to be said for an earlier suggestion about school suspension for alcohol. Maybe a kid should get a week for an alcohol violation. The kids that don't participate may not have enough incentive to not use alcohol. Maybe this would be a step in the right direction.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:37 pm

baller01 wrote:Hinsa do you realize that ND leads the nation in underage drinking? You are telling me it is an easy solution to stay away from high school parties when a great percentage of high schoolers in ND party? Any athlete who is sociable and likes to be with friends knows it is NOT easy to socialize with friends and stay away from that party...

baller, I have to disagree with you. I am one of those student athletes that doesn't drink and party all the time. I will admit that a great percentage of students, as well as the athletes, do engage in this type of behavior, however not all of them. Any dependable, dedicated athlete will find it in them to stay away from what could ruin their career and completely ruin all their training. And as for those of you who are the "life of the party", get a job, do your homework, spend some time with your friends when you're not completely trashed and I would almost guarantee that you will have a better time.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:46 pm

riders wrote:
baller01 wrote:Hinsa do you realize that ND leads the nation in underage drinking? You are telling me it is an easy solution to stay away from high school parties when a great percentage of high schoolers in ND party? Any athlete who is sociable and likes to be with friends knows it is NOT easy to socialize with friends and stay away from that party...

baller, I have to disagree with you. I am one of those student athletes that doesn't drink and party all the time. I will admit that a great percentage of students, as well as the athletes, do engage in this type of behavior, however not all of them. Any dependable, dedicated athlete will find it in them to stay away from what could ruin their career and completely ruin all their training. And as for those of you who are the "life of the party", get a job, do your homework, spend some time with your friends when you're not completely trashed and I would almost guarantee that you will have a better time.

We have something in common, I am one of those student/athletes too. But like you said, a great percentage do engage in underage drinking. So if you are like me, and like to be with friends, but like to stay away from the negative stuff, it makes life hard. All I'm saying is it isn't easy to do...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 pm

steve34 wrote:Playing sports may be a right, but it's also a choice of dedication. When you choose to play, you choose to take on responsibilites that go beyond that of "just a student". I don't have a problem with penalties for athletes that are above those of just a student.

However, I think there's something to be said for an earlier suggestion about school suspension for alcohol. Maybe a kid should get a week for an alcohol violation. The kids that don't participate may not have enough incentive to not use alcohol. Maybe this would be a step in the right direction.

I don't think that non-athletes should be punished by the school. Most importantly because they haven't signed a contract stating that they won't drink or use controlled substances.

I still have a problem with the police contacting the schools and telling faculty the names of people who have received minors. I see something wrong with this.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 am

I never signed any contracts to play. the only thing i was responsible for was getting a physical every 2 years....how many schools have these contracts?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:03 pm

baller01 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I'm telling you it is a choice. There are groups of kids in my area of the state that get together at their friends' houses with parents home and have a great time. They make their own fun away from alcohol parties. They are extremely social and kids from competing towns get together at these homes that are supervised with parents at home for fun and socializing. They have beaten the peer pressure by making their own fun.

Hey... I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to socialize away from alochol... I just said it's not EASY when probably a large number of your peers drink.

Baller I see you don't party, good for you, I'm proud of you and all the others who are taking this stand. My thought is, you may need new peers, if this is their lifestyle and not yours... just a thought :D
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:26 pm

if the student is dumb enough to be putting images of themselves or their peers on the internet, they have it coming. once the images are on the internet, they become part of a public domain for anyone and their big brother (AKA the AD) to see. all schools that i have heard of have a "code of conduct", a contract for the athletes to say they will not engage in illegal activity as established by the NDHSAA.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics