Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby Hinsa » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:09 pm

We've been down this path before. I'll say it again: there would be an investigation and the truth would come out and there would be no suspension.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 pm

"say im in the weight room lifting and some kids walk over and start talking to me and they are drinking. i guess i have to stop lifting and leave becuase if i dont i support their drinking"

I believe the wording in the guilt by association policies, at least those I'm familiar with, state that if you are at a "party" where there is drinking. I don't think the weight room qualifies as a party.

And I'll give you credit for one thing - you have the most vivid imagination I've read about in quite some time. Kids walking in the weight room and drinking.....yup, that happens every day.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:56 pm

i didnt say they walked in started working out and were drinking....they were drinking, saw you working out in there, came over and talked to you. not really all the unrealistic. why does it have to be to qualify as a party? one kid walking down the street with a beer in his hand would get the same punishment as if he was at a party with 100 kids.

are you telling me if u were at a friends place a person came with beer you got up and just started running out of the room screaming i have sports to play, or did you stay and hang out with the other kids who werent drinking?

o i guess say a game of poker is goin on and some kid lights up a cigarette...o no, game over everyone go home before you get 6 weeks. how come just because a kid goes to a party hes guilty. poker night = party, pool night = party, movie night = party.

how happy are your kids if you never let them go out anywhere, cuz the way your talking it seems that way. every kid as seen underage drinking, its a way of life. just because their eyes see it doesnt mean their body is doing it so why punish them for doing the right thing and not drinking
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby dtvman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:42 am

baseball wrote:i didnt say they walked in started working out and were drinking....they were drinking, saw you working out in there, came over and talked to you. not really all the unrealistic. why does it have to be to qualify as a party? one kid walking down the street with a beer in his hand would get the same punishment as if he was at a party with 100 kids.

are you telling me if u were at a friends place a person came with beer you got up and just started running out of the room screaming i have sports to play, or did you stay and hang out with the other kids who werent drinking?
o i guess say a game of poker is goin on and some kid lights up a cigarette...o no, game over everyone go home before you get 6 weeks. how come just because a kid goes to a party hes guilty. poker night = party, pool night = party, movie night = party.

how happy are your kids if you never let them go out anywhere, cuz the way your talking it seems that way. every kid as seen underage drinking, its a way of life. just because their eyes see it doesnt mean their body is doing it so why punish them for doing the right thing and not drinking

Way to over dramatize it baseball, running and screaming? The point is that if 1 person shows up to a party drinking and no one else is, why would you not get that person to leave? If you don't drink why would you want to hang around with someone who does drink. Not showing any sort of disapproval of their behavior is basically condoning it. As far as the right thing, if I were a parent I would have a big problem with my kid hanging around kids drinking, even if he wasn't. The right thing is to take a stand against it. If that means asking someone who is drinking to leave or my kid leaving then I know the point has come across.
dtvman

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:41 am

dtvman wrote:
baseball wrote:i didnt say they walked in started working out and were drinking....they were drinking, saw you working out in there, came over and talked to you. not really all the unrealistic. why does it have to be to qualify as a party? one kid walking down the street with a beer in his hand would get the same punishment as if he was at a party with 100 kids.

Way to over dramatize it baseball, running and screaming? The point is that if 1 person shows up to a party drinking and no one else is, why would you not get that person to leave? If you don't drink why would you want to hang around with someone who does drink. Not showing any sort of disapproval of their behavior is basically condoning it. As far as the right thing, if I were a parent I would have a big problem with my kid hanging around kids drinking, even if he wasn't. The right thing is to take a stand against it. If that means asking someone who is drinking to leave or my kid leaving then I know the point has come across.

so if a person drinks that makes them a bad person? i dont drink and some of my best friends have before, and believe it or not im glad to call them my friends. im not gonna let what they do on occasion stop me from having a friendship with them.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Hinsa wrote:"say im in the weight room lifting and some kids walk over and start talking to me and they are drinking. i guess i have to stop lifting and leave becuase if i dont i support their drinking"

I believe the wording in the guilt by association policies, at least those I'm familiar with, state that if you are at a "party" where there is drinking. I don't think the weight room qualifies as a party.

And I'll give you credit for one thing - you have the most vivid imagination I've read about in quite some time. Kids walking in the weight room and drinking.....yup, that happens every day.

Believe me, it has happened before.

Also, about the investigation thing, how can their be an investigation. Say the picture was taken during the middle of the summer and it surfaces during basketball season. What investigation can be done with a picture taken X months ago?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:23 pm

It's not a court of law, therefore "guilty by association".
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:26 pm

im still waiting for someone to exlain this guilty by association then....whats the difference if 2 people walk over to you who have been drinking and talk to u and are still drink, or 4 people driving home from a basketball game and one is smoking in the car...just because its not at a "party"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby dtvman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 am

baseball wrote:
dtvman wrote:

so if a person drinks that makes them a bad person? i dont drink and some of my best friends have before, and believe it or not im glad to call them my friends. im not gonna let what they do on occasion stop me from having a friendship with them.

I never said that made them a bad person. They are breaking the law. I would not want my kid around when someone is breaking the law. I am not saying I would never want them around those kids, but when they are doing something illegal, I don't want my kid involved. I drink now and I have since before it was legal for me to. I drank illegally fully knowing the consequences I would suffer from the school or by the authorities if I was caught. I on different occasions I suffered those consequences both from the school and from the authorities.
dtvman

Postby dtvman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:07 am

Guilty by association has nothing to do with a "party". It has to do with getting yourself out of a situation where there is illegal activity taking place. If that illegal activity is 2 teens standing on the street and someone lighting up or you having friends over to your home and one of them brings beer it doesn't make any difference. The point of it is that you need to do something about it. You walk away, you kick that person out, you do whatever to distance yourself from illegal activity. If you do nothing, you are saying you don't want to follow the rules.
dtvman

Postby klg_11 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:53 am

dtvman wrote:Guilty by association has nothing to do with a "party". It has to do with getting yourself out of a situation where there is illegal activity taking place. If that illegal activity is 2 teens standing on the street and someone lighting up or you having friends over to your home and one of them brings beer it doesn't make any difference. The point of it is that you need to do something about it. You walk away, you kick that person out, you do whatever to distance yourself from illegal activity. If you do nothing, you are saying you don't want to follow the rules.

there are not very many kids that will do this. i graduated high school several years ago now and just from personal experience almost no one will walk away. Peer pressure is a killer. And im sure many would be amazed at the kids that would stick around during these illegal activites. Im not saying its right, actually it just the opposite. but i dont think the school should be playing cops. i think that, that is the cop;s job and it ends there. I will get bashed for saying that but i think kids have resposibilities and they should be left to those responsibilites, school shouldnt be policing their every move.

(EDIT)- one word , PARENTS!
klg_11

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:31 am

klg_11 wrote:
dtvman wrote:Guilty by association has nothing to do with a "party". It has to do with getting yourself out of a situation where there is illegal activity taking place. If that illegal activity is 2 teens standing on the street and someone lighting up or you having friends over to your home and one of them brings beer it doesn't make any difference. The point of it is that you need to do something about it. You walk away, you kick that person out, you do whatever to distance yourself from illegal activity. If you do nothing, you are saying you don't want to follow the rules.

there are not very many kids that will do this. i graduated high school several years ago now and just from personal experience almost no one will walk away. Peer pressure is a killer. And im sure many would be amazed at the kids that would stick around during these illegal activites. Im not saying its right, actually it just the opposite. but i dont think the school should be playing cops. i think that, that is the cop;s job and it ends there. I will get bashed for saying that but i think kids have resposibilities and they should be left to those responsibilites, school shouldnt be policing their every move.

(EDIT)- one word , PARENTS!

thank you...what ive been saying all along and ive been getting pounded for it, glad to see im not alone
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:06 am

Baller wrote:
vballfan06 wrote:well it's pretty much common sense: don't put pictures of yourself at a party on the internet. that's pretty much a no-brainer.

I realize that...but what if someone else puts a picture of you on their site??? They should just ban all cameras from parties. (or not party)

Well if someone else puts a picture of you drinking on a website like facebook/myspace and you get in trouble how do you complain. You were still drinking , so just because you didn't get caught doesn't that night doesn't always mean you're off the hook, especially nowadays.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dtvman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:10 am

I will continue to pound you on this. From the school's perspective it is not just about breaking the law. It is about abiding by a set of rules they have put forth that they expect you to abide by. If you can't abide by those rules then you give up the privilage of being in extra curriculars. And remember it is a privilage not a right. Schools have a responsibility to educate students concerning English, Math, History, Etc. They do not have to teach kids how to play Basketball, or Football or be an actor.

I said it previously and I will repeat it; I was well aware of the rules when I was in sports. I didn't always follow the rules. If I got caught breaking those rules I was prepared to face the consequences. There were rules that had nothing to do with breaking the law. We had a curfew we had to abide by set up by the coach. It had nothing to do with any law, but I knew if I was caught breaking curfew I would pay for that.
dtvman

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:54 am

Photos on Facebook get some Eden Prairie, Minn., students in trouble
Associated Press

Published Wednesday, January 09, 2008

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Some Eden Prairie students have been suspended from sports and extracurricular activities after school officials saw Facebook photos of students who appeared to be partying, several students said.

Danny O'Leary, a senior lacrosse player, said Tuesday that his dean obtained four Facebook photos of O'Leary holding drinks and said he was in ``a bit of trouble.' One photo shows him holding a can of beer, another a shot of rum, and another showed him holding his friend's 40-ounce container of beer.

``I wasn't drinking that night,' O'Leary said. ``I was told each picture was equal to a two-game suspension.'

The Associated Press left phone messages at the offices of the high school principal and the school district's communications staff early Wednesday. The officials were asked to contact the AP with comment once they arrive to their offices Wednesday morning.

Varsity boys hockey coach Lee Smith told the Star Tribune that no players on his team are involved.
O'Leary said he planned to meet with the director of student activities about the suspensions.
He said two of the photos depicting him were taken two years ago, before he joined the lacrosse team and signed a pledge not to drink.

``I'm personally pretty upset and wondering why someone would collect these photos and turn them in,' O'Leary said. ``A lot of kids' lives are going to be ruined as far as scholarships and sports are concerned.'

O'Leary said the suspensions will likely curb underage drinking, but mostly, kids will just be smarter about not putting drinking photos online.

``It's dumb to have these pictures up on the Internet,' he said, noting that he has since deleted his Facebook page.

Senior Natalie Friedman agreed that the school's actions won't change much. But, she said, she sees the school's perspective.

``They can't look at these pictures and not do anything about it,' she said. ``But it's not going to stop kids from drinking. We're just going to re-evaluate what we put out in public. We're going to be more cautious.'

Friedman said she was scolded about Facebook photos of her behind a bar at a friend's house with drinks visible. She declined to say whether she was drinking, saying no one could prove the beverages contained alcohol.

``I didn't get into any trouble,' she said. ``But I'm only in intramural sports and some clubs.' She said a friend who is captain of a girls' team was stripped of her leadership role because of the photos.

Eden Prairie senior Rachael Kalaidis, who hasn't been called to the dean's office but said she might because she is probably in some of her friends' photos, said several students have already been reprimanded.

However, she said, the administration has not made any public announcements about it or sent out any information.

``Everyone thinks it's pretty weird,' she said. ``I think it's a huge invasion of privacy.'

The Minnesota State High School League requires student athletes to sign a pledge that they will not drink alcoholic beverages.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm

ClassBEast wrote:Photos on Facebook get some Eden Prairie, Minn., students in trouble
Associated Press

Published Wednesday, January 09, 2008

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Some Eden Prairie students have been suspended from sports and extracurricular activities after school officials saw Facebook photos of students who appeared to be partying, several students said.

Danny O'Leary, a senior lacrosse player, said Tuesday that his dean obtained four Facebook photos of O'Leary holding drinks and said he was in ``a bit of trouble.' One photo shows him holding a can of beer, another a shot of rum, and another showed him holding his friend's 40-ounce container of beer.

``I wasn't drinking that night,' O'Leary said. ``I was told each picture was equal to a two-game suspension.'

The Associated Press left phone messages at the offices of the high school principal and the school district's communications staff early Wednesday. The officials were asked to contact the AP with comment once they arrive to their offices Wednesday morning.

Varsity boys hockey coach Lee Smith told the Star Tribune that no players on his team are involved.
O'Leary said he planned to meet with the director of student activities about the suspensions.
He said two of the photos depicting him were taken two years ago, before he joined the lacrosse team and signed a pledge not to drink.

``I'm personally pretty upset and wondering why someone would collect these photos and turn them in,' O'Leary said. ``A lot of kids' lives are going to be ruined as far as scholarships and sports are concerned.'

O'Leary said the suspensions will likely curb underage drinking, but mostly, kids will just be smarter about not putting drinking photos online.

``It's dumb to have these pictures up on the Internet,' he said, noting that he has since deleted his Facebook page.

Senior Natalie Friedman agreed that the school's actions won't change much. But, she said, she sees the school's perspective.

``They can't look at these pictures and not do anything about it,' she said. ``But it's not going to stop kids from drinking. We're just going to re-evaluate what we put out in public. We're going to be more cautious.'

Friedman said she was scolded about Facebook photos of her behind a bar at a friend's house with drinks visible. She declined to say whether she was drinking, saying no one could prove the beverages contained alcohol.

``I didn't get into any trouble,' she said. ``But I'm only in intramural sports and some clubs.' She said a friend who is captain of a girls' team was stripped of her leadership role because of the photos.

Eden Prairie senior Rachael Kalaidis, who hasn't been called to the dean's office but said she might because she is probably in some of her friends' photos, said several students have already been reprimanded.

However, she said, the administration has not made any public announcements about it or sent out any information.

``Everyone thinks it's pretty weird,' she said. ``I think it's a huge invasion of privacy.'

The Minnesota State High School League requires student athletes to sign a pledge that they will not drink alcoholic beverages.

folks, it's not an invasion of privacy.....you are putting pictures up in a public forum......
no one went into your house, personal possessions or anything, the web is a public forum....not private
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41 am

Yeah....this shows you the immaturity of a senior athlete right there. And he states the picture was taken 2 year ago so that means he was 14-15 at a drinking party. WHERE ARE THE PARENTS!!!!

She declined to say whether she was drinking, but yet up above she says "We're just going to re-evaluate what we put out in public. We're going to be more cautious." WE are going to be more cautious???

Nice way of self incriminating one's self. I am glad she isn't my daughter.

It is sad to see what has transpired these past 20 or so years. When a kid got caught drinking or was at a party, they took their pill and swallowed it. Now the parents come to their aid, they get lawyers, they have all of these scapegoats they try and use (it didn't contain alcohol, it happened 2 years ago, no way to prove there was alcohol in there, etc...) Where is the smilie that pukes??

When a girl got pregnant in high school, she sure as -ell wasn't rewarded. Now they hold showers at the school and I believe one from Langdon was even crowned homecoming queen just a couple of years ago. Wow, how wrong.

High Schoolers need to realize that if they are in sports, they need to follow the rules and not look for loopholes so they can quietly or loudly drink. Parents need to open their dam- eyes and start being parents instead of trying to be their best friend. Time to buck up!

Sorry, there is my rant for the day.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:18 am

why should a girl get punished for being pregnant?? im not saying give her special treatment but to say is wrong for her to be voted homecoming queen i disagree. homecoming queen is usually given to the most popular girl in school, not because someone is pregnant. i can see how it would be wrong to hold the shower during school, but to take away homecoming queen because of it would be like not letting her be on the yearbook club or whatever....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:06 pm

I definately agree she should not be punished for being pregnant... breaking the law is a different story
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby smart source » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:30 pm

ok is this an invasion of privacy then....i go to minot high school and we had a kid that got kicked off of a sport last year for a picture of him holding a beer on myspace....but the myspace was set to private so you had to be on the friends list for you to open the website....the school apparently has someone hack into these private myspaces and gets the pictures and gets the students in trouble...so you tell me how does that not constitute as an illegal search because to me thats no different than a cop pulling up to someones house and say hey im gonna search your house just for the heck of it to try and find something illegal
smart source

Postby magichoops » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I heard one of the "friends" printed the photos out and brought them to school.
magichoops

Postby klg_11 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:52 pm

highheat wrote:
smart source wrote:ok is this an invasion of privacy then....i go to minot high school and we had a kid that got kicked off of a sport last year for a picture of him holding a beer on myspace....but the myspace was set to private so you had to be on the friends list for you to open the website....the school apparently has someone hack into these private myspaces and gets the pictures and gets the students in trouble...so you tell me how does that not constitute as an illegal search because to me thats no different than a cop pulling up to someones house and say hey im gonna search your house just for the heck of it to try and find something illegal

the same thing happened at south last year. and since facebook is such an open environment, now there are fargo public school administrators that are part of facebook.

I think that is going to far, when the administration is presented with the pictures it is one thing, but when they are out there seaching the web for incriminating pictures. thats just ludacris :|
klg_11

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Give me a break!

I'm sure school administrators have nothing else to do but look for pictures on the internet. Do you know how much time these people put in at their jobs?

If a school administrator fesses up and admits to searching, I'll eat crow, but until then I can't believe administrators have the desire nor the time to surf the web looking for trouble.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:30 pm

Hinsa wrote:Give me a break!

I'm sure school administrators have nothing else to do but look for pictures on the internet. Do you know how much time these people put in at their jobs?

If a school administrator fesses up and admits to searching, I'll eat crow, but until then I can't believe administrators have the desire nor the time to surf the web looking for trouble.

I know that Admin. does not sit and search for no reason...BUT, if they were to get info regarding illegal activity then I know of resource officers searching to find information regarding the incident
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree with you there, Baller. If they get info, then they pretty much have to follow up on it.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics