Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby sportsmart » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 pm

DON"T PUT PICTURES ON THOSE SITES THAT YOU DON'T WANT ALL TO SEE, FIGURE IT OUT!!! INSTEAD OF ALL THIS CRAP ABOUT IT IS AGAINST THE LAW AND INVADES YOUR PRIVACY BE SMART AND DON'T DO IT. IF YOU DO AND A PICTURE IS TURNED OVER SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES. STOP CRYING ABOUT IT. IF YOU DO ILLEGAL STUFF AND GET CAUGHT WITH PICTURES ON THE INTERNET IT IS YOUR FAULT FOR BEING THERE OR BETTER YET FOR ALLOWING PEOPLE TO TAKE THE PICTURE AND PUT IT ON THE INTERNET FOR ALL TO SEE!! WHAT THE HECK IS THE PURPOSE OF PUTTING SUCH A PICTURE ON THERE. IN MY EYES YOU ARE BEGGING TO GET CAUGHT OR JUST TO STUPID NOT TO DO IT .
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Were photos used as evidence against kids that were busted at that party talked about in the Fargo Forum? See the 4-9-08 Fargo Forum article.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:Were photos used as evidence against kids that were busted at that party talked about in the Fargo Forum? See the 4-9-08 Fargo Forum article.

No photos...the party got busted by the cops. The cops took down names and forwarded them to the school administration who then had to interview all the kids.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Baller wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:Were photos used as evidence against kids that were busted at that party talked about in the Fargo Forum? See the 4-9-08 Fargo Forum article.

No photos...the party got busted by the cops. The cops took down names and forwarded them to the school administration who then had to interview all the kids.

So, it was the old "low tech" approach. Either way, "If you gotta play, be ready to pay!"
dgfsuperfan1

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 pm

i konw its college and not the NDHSAA rules but a friend of mine told me that some adminstrators at UMary got on facebook to look at kids' profiles and if they find something illegal they email them and write them up. either way....administrators should not go out of their way to find dirt on kids whether its high school or college. if it happens and they get caught, sure they deserve the punishment but not if someone has to look on the internet to see if they did anything
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:18 am

What is the difference if they look on the internet or run into in the bar (when you are under 21)?

IHow many "administrators" does Mary have? Isn't it a bunch of nuns?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:50 am

Wild Wolves wrote:What is the difference if they look on the internet or run into in the bar (when you are under 21)?

well they have RAs, Residence directors, Diciplinary councilors, etc... nuns founded the school but other people run it, just using the benedictine values. and the difference is being caught in the act. the internet they are on there looking for something specific. seeing them in the bar is like having the party busted
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 2008tournement » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:55 am

baseball wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:What is the difference if they look on the internet or run into in the bar (when you are under 21)?

well they have RAs, Residence directors, Diciplinary councilors, etc... nuns founded the school but other people run it, just using the benedictine values. and the difference is being caught in the act. the internet they are on there looking for something specific. seeing them in the bar is like having the party busted

I think what you want to avoid is a "witchhunt" that takes time and resources away from counciling programs that could actually reduce underage drinking before it happens. Resources should be used to prevent problems ahead of time and not just "hunting down" offenders. I do believe in tought rules and fair enforcement but I equally believe in stong prevention programs.
2008tournement

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:59 am

This was the first year that FSH required a breatalyzer to go through their Proms grand march. Only half as many couples showed up this year than in previous. Does this mean in the past half the kids were drinking before the showed up to Prom? It would be very sad if this was true!
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Baller » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:24 pm

I think that some of it had to do with that some students felt that their rights were being violated by having to take a breathalizer and opted to go for the principle of the matter. They felt that they were standing up for their rights. Also south has been using breathalizers to get into ANY dance this year, not just prom. Some students also opted that Bon Jovi would be more fun than Prom.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 am

Rights violated...Grand March is a privelage and it should not have been a big deal if they were not drinking!! It is people defending these underage drinkers that contributes to the problem! As far as them breathalizing every dance this year...GOOD FOR THEM! I'm confused as to why they didn't breathalize before the prom dance itself.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:12 am

Ok so I have a question on this subject, I will give my opinion at the end.
Hypothetically: You go on a family vacation to either Canada (when your 18) or Mexico (scince all you have to do is say beer and they serve you) and you are taking pictures with family in a different country where it is completely legal to drink and these pictures appear on whatever social networking site you use what are your thoughts on this?

My opinion is if you are in absolutly no way violating a countries laws by being legal there that no matter how incriminating these pictures are the school/NDHSAA has no jurisdiction on these pictures due to the fact that it was legal by not being within the states.

Thoughts/comments/actual rule???
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 am

I'd say you aren't violating the NDHSAA rules either, but how do you prove the pictures are taken in Canada or Mexico?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I'd say you aren't violating the NDHSAA rules either, but how do you prove the pictures are taken in Canada or Mexico?

True, but by looking at other pics you can usually tell mexico..not so easy canada plus I feel a persons parents...or at least mine would never let me drink in front of them unless it was legal where we are.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:48 pm

The NDHSAA rules are not based on what is legal in the state of ND. If so, 18 year olds could smoke and not be in any trouble. NDHSAA has a blanket ban on controlled substances.....alcohol, tobacco, etc. If you are actively participating in NDHSAA activities just don't do it, and you have no problems.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Here is my question then. The rules state that a person can't use tobacco during the season, and there is no in-between period.

When does this rule take effect? When the person signs the papers?

The rules that I signed basically make the case that an 18 year old can smoke as much as they want, up to the period that they sign that paper. Is this true?

The problem with the way this rule is set up is that the police really have no reason to turn in an 18 year old for tobacco use. Therefore, it is already extremely hard to enforce, and between seasons, I don't think the rule even exists.

Any other opinions on this?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:08 pm

balla45 wrote:Here is my question then. The rules state that a person can't use tobacco during the season, and there is no in-between period.

The rules that I signed basically make the case that an 18 year old can smoke as much as they want, up to the period that they sign that paper. Is this true?

The problem with the way this rule is set up is that the police really have no reason to turn in an 18 year old for tobacco use. Therefore, it is already extremely hard to enforce, and between seasons, I don't think the rule even exists.

I dont think police have any right to turn in a "adult" for smoking it is a dumb rule let 18 year olds make their own decisions!

But what papers did you sign on this? were these implemented this year or last? I dont think I ever had to sign papers
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
balla45 wrote:Here is my question then. The rules state that a person can't use tobacco during the season, and there is no in-between period.

I dont think police have any right to turn in a "adult" for smoking it is a dumb rule let 18 year olds make their own decisions!

But what papers did you sign on this? were these implemented this year or last? I dont think I ever had to sign papers

Maybe it is just Mandan. I know the Bismarck School District has different rules than we do. I had to sign one that is like, "the player will refrain from use of alcohol, tobacco, or any controlled substances. If the player receives a violation, said player will sit out 6 weeks for 1st offense, and 18 weeks for 2nd offense. Sign Here ________________"
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:21 pm

balla45 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

Maybe it is just Mandan. I know the Bismarck School District has different rules than we do. I had to sign one that is like, "the player will refrain from use of alcohol, tobacco, or any controlled substances. If the player receives a violation, said player will sit out 6 weeks for 1st offense, and 18 weeks for 2nd offense. Sign Here ________________"

Do they not let you play if you don't sign it? I wonder if they took that from the movie Dazed and Confused?
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:

Do they not let you play if you don't sign it? I wonder if they took that from the movie Dazed and Confused?

Yea. We have to sign 3 papers before we are allowed to practice.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Fargo Public has the same thing that the athlete and parents have to sign it before you can play. I do know of a girl in at BHS is the late 90's that was seen smoking in her car at the grocery store by a teacher. She was 18 and had to di her 6 weeks. I know that was in season though.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm

PS...Even it is legal in that country (drinking) it is still against NDHSAA rules and therefore you can be suspended. You actually run into this in the northern part of the state (Bottineau, Williston, Grafton) where there is way more opportunity to go up there. I have known kids from Bottineau get suspended for "camping" trips to Canada.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby slapshot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 pm

If there some people that don't believe that school officials don't go out of there way to bust a kid your in a fantasy world. I personally watched an asst. principal dig a pop bottle out of the garbage (after following 2 students in) outdide the up center in Fargo, open it and smell it!! I'm assuming he was sniffing for "chew spit" When I got out of my vehicle I asked him if he Lost Something he seemed embarrased and walked away. Also, don't give me "its a privilage" to play sports crap! These kids practice 1-2 hours daily, Travel on weekends, sell raffle tickets, donate their time to help work youth games, lift weights, get A's and B's in school, and keep a part time jobs! If you don't play sports you get absolutly NO punishment from school. Mabye we should kick the students that don't play sports out of school for 6 weeks.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 pm

slapshot wrote:If there some people that don't believe that school officials don't go out of there way to bust a kid your in a fantasy world. I personally watched an asst. principal dig a pop bottle out of the garbage (after following 2 students in) outdide the up center in Fargo, open it and smell it!! I'm assuming he was sniffing for "chew spit" When I got out of my vehicle I asked him if he Lost Something he seemed embarrased and walked away. Also, don't give me "its a privilage" to play sports crap! These kids practice 1-2 hours daily, Travel on weekends, sell raffle tickets, donate their time to help work youth games, lift weights, get A's and B's in school, and keep a part time jobs! If you don't play sports you get absolutly NO punishment from school. Mabye we should kick the students that don't play sports out of school for 6 weeks.

So if you are saying its not a priviledge it must be a right? If you want to play sports, you have to follow the rules of the NDHSAA and the school. It is a priviledge, yeah kids work hard to participate in them but if the school didnt have a sports program you would hear all this complaining from students that it is a priviledge for them to have it because they have worked hard and stayed out of trouble. Its simple if you dont want to work hard at something and still participate you probably arent going to be very successful at it, yeah some kids get by on talent alone without putting work in, but its life you cant have everything handed to you and expect to excell in it without putting in the necessary time.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby slapshot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:15 pm

A student that plays sports and a student that doesn't both still get a high school diploma. So why should a student who works hard (practice, raffles, ect.) be punished differently than one who just goes to school? Mabye a student who gets caught drinking or smoking should be kicked out of school for a week. This is a much more fair and equal punishment for all students.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics