Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:32 am

Mighty-Mouse wrote:
baller01 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I'm telling you it is a choice. There are groups of kids in my area of the state that get together at their friends' houses with parents home and have a great time. They make their own fun away from alcohol parties. They are extremely social and kids from competing towns get together at these homes that are supervised with parents at home for fun and socializing. They have beaten the peer pressure by making their own fun.

Hey... I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to socialize away from alochol... I just said it's not EASY when probably a large number of your peers drink.

Baller I see you don't party, good for you, I'm proud of you and all the others who are taking this stand. My thought is, you may need new peers, if this is their lifestyle and not yours... just a thought :D

That is the tough part about high school... you really don't get to pick your classmates. Your class is your class and those are your friends probably from K-12.

And to comment to Riders thing:
Drinking during the summer is not breaking NDHSAA rules. It is against the law, but it is not against NDHSAA rules. If a student or a student/athlete gets caught drinking during the summer, at some schools, that alcohol violation will have no effect on their season.They might serve their punishment in other ways. Every school is different when it comes to summer alcohol violations. So like I said, a kid that is drinking during the summer is breaking the law, not NDHSAA rules. IMO if you are not breaking NDHSAA rules you shouldn't be punished by the NDHSAA, and drinking in the summer is not breaking NDHSAA rules.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby riders » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:54 am

i realize that drinking in the summer isnt against NDHSAA rules, however, if that individual is in a summer sport, say legion baseball, they must sign a code of conduct stating that they will basically follow the same rules as the NDHSAA. yes, during the summer is breaking the law, not ndhsaa and i completely agree that the ndhsaa should not get involved in ordeals that are not sanctioned by ndhsaa
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:33 pm

riders wrote:i realize that drinking in the summer isnt against NDHSAA rules, however, if that individual is in a summer sport, say legion baseball, they must sign a code of conduct stating that they will basically follow the same rules as the NDHSAA. yes, during the summer is breaking the law, not ndhsaa and i completely agree that the ndhsaa should not get involved in ordeals that are not sanctioned by ndhsaa

I don't know if just you had to sign that contract or what but I've played legion baseball for a number of years and never once signed a contract saying anything about following NDHSAA rule.

Well since we both agree that drinking during the summer is not against NDHSAA rule, then do you agree with me that a picture that is taken during the summer of someone drinking should not be allowed to get that student/athlete suspended during the season?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby larrybird33 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:08 pm

It's up to your local legion baseball club if they want to adopt a 6 week policy on alcohol. Some legion programs do that, some do not.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:33 pm

It's no different as an adult and working for some companies, there are rules of conduct you must follow or you aren't allowed to be a part of the organization. Drug testing is becoming the norm to work almost anywhere, and other things like behavioral issues are taken into consideration also. A friend of mine works at a bank and they have whole list of things that they are warned they can be fired for, such as writing a bad check, getting arrested for shoplifting, or getting into a bar fight. If people want to be a part of an organization they are going to have to ask themselves is they are willing to make those sacrifices. It starts when you are young and ends when you die, high school is no different. If you want to be a participant in activities administrated by the NDHSAA then you have to jump through their hoops.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:46 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:It's no different as an adult and working for some companies, there are rules of conduct you must follow or you aren't allowed to be a part of the organization. Drug testing is becoming the norm to work almost anywhere, and other things like behavioral issues are taken into consideration also. A friend of mine works at a bank and they have whole list of things that they are warned they can be fired for, such as writing a bad check, getting arrested for shoplifting, or getting into a bar fight. If people want to be a part of an organization they are going to have to ask themselves is they are willing to make those sacrifices. It starts when you are young and ends when you die, high school is no different. If you want to be a participant in activities administrated by the NDHSAA then you have to jump through their hoops.

I tihnk this was mostly baller01's point...is it right to fire the employee for writting the bad check or getting in the bar fight before they were hired??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:27 pm

riders wrote:if the student is dumb enough to be putting images of themselves or their peers on the internet, they have it coming. once the images are on the internet, they become part of a public domain for anyone and their big brother (AKA the AD) to see. all schools that i have heard of have a "code of conduct", a contract for the athletes to say they will not engage in illegal activity as established by the NDHSAA.

good point
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:53 pm

senditin wrote:
riders wrote:if the student is dumb enough to be putting images of themselves or their peers on the internet, they have it coming. once the images are on the internet, they become part of a public domain for anyone and their big brother (AKA the AD) to see. all schools that i have heard of have a "code of conduct", a contract for the athletes to say they will not engage in illegal activity as established by the NDHSAA.

good point

so why punish a kid because his/her "peer" was an idiot and posted the picture?? they were their hanging out with friends, werent drinking but a couple were. a picture was taken between 3-4 friends with beer cans on the table. how does that warrent punishment tho? yeah you can assume their drinking, but if its not in their hand how do u know. if it is in their hand you still dont know if they are drinking, but its stilla MIP so that wouldnt matter. its the kids who get in trouble for not "possessing" anything is who gets cheated.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 pm

once your picture is taken and posted on the internet, it is no longer your property. there is nothing that says your friends have to remove pictures of an individual just because it make the one person look bad. yes, baseball, i do see your point as well. if they are wrongfully accused of drinking, you would think that those friends that they were with would be decent enough to vouch for that individual.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:57 pm

one of the worst things ive witnessed was that a friend of mine was given a minor for driving his moms car. he went to the store to buy a sandwich....as he was leaving got pulled over cuz he didnt turn his lights on. cop searched the car and beer was in the trunk and he didnt even know it. ended up missing 2 weeks of football and was able to play once they got the charge dropped with all the facts. i make the same mistake a lot of times about not turning on the lights....my car, like his, the lights turn on when you start it...apparently it didnt work that way in his moms car.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:57 am

baseball wrote:
senditin wrote:

good point

so why punish a kid because his/her "peer" was an idiot and posted the picture?? they were their hanging out with friends, werent drinking but a couple were. a picture was taken between 3-4 friends with beer cans on the table. how does that warrent punishment tho? yeah you can assume their drinking, but if its not in their hand how do u know. if it is in their hand you still dont know if they are drinking, but its stilla MIP so that wouldnt matter. its the kids who get in trouble for not "possessing" anything is who gets cheated.

Actually, you can not be given a minor from a picture unless the law can prove that it happened in their jurisdiction. Either by say standing in front of a sign that says the towns name or if a person tells on you and says that it happened in the prosecutors jurisdiction. Yes you can still get punished by the NDHSAA because it doesnt matter where it happens once you are in an extracirricular activity you must follow their rules.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justplayalready » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51 am

not sure if this was brought up already...

But if the argument is challenging the "guilt by association" policy, doesn't the policy allow for the student to leave once they notice that laws/training being broken...I doubt sticking around & getting a picture taken flys as a defense...

It all comes back to the kids commitment to his team & what is important to him at that time...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:44 am

justplayalready wrote:not sure if this was brought up already...

But if the argument is challenging the "guilt by association" policy, doesn't the policy allow for the student to leave once they notice that laws/training being broken...I doubt sticking around & getting a picture taken flys as a defense...

It all comes back to the kids commitment to his team & what is important to him at that time...

Maybe the kids stick around to make sure their friends...and teammates...get home safely by drving them. you know...a commitment to your friends, which in most cases is more important then your basketball teams success. if you care more about your sports then your friends your going to have a pretty miserable life once your playing days are over...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Well hopefully you grow up and realize that there are more important things than your friends before they drag you down a road you dont want to go. Your friends can make decisions for themselves and yes there are more important things than your freinds. Your family should be and yes hopefully your friends on your team and team are more important than being with a friend that is drinking. When you join a team you make a committment to them and if that isnt important you should think about if it is that important to even go out. When you are older and have a family commitment, hopefully they will be more important than your FRIENDS!

baseball wrote:

Maybe the kids stick around to make sure their friends...and teammates...get home safely by drving them. you know...a commitment to your friends, which in most cases is more important then your basketball teams success. if you care more about your sports then your friends your going to have a pretty miserable life once your playing days are over...
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:37 pm

rock83 wrote:Well hopefully you grow up and realize that there are more important things than your friends before they drag you down a road you dont want to go. Your friends can make decisions for themselves and yes there are more important things than your freinds. Your family should be and yes hopefully your friends on your team and team are more important than being with a friend that is drinking. When you join a team you make a committment to them and if that isnt important you should think about if it is that important to even go out. When you are older and have a family commitment, hopefully they will be more important than your FRIENDS!

baseball wrote:

yes...when you grow up is right. keep in mind your talking about high school athletes, and whats the most important thing to 95% of kids 14-17?? when you make a commitment to your team.....doesnt mean your whole life has to be that sport. kids have plenty of time to make the right decisions later. if fact, making the wrong decisions will probably help them grow up faster. Some of my best friends drank in high school....they were never dragging me down when i hung out with them.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:32 am

I dont think asking a player to not drink during sports and is making that sport their whole life. If you go out with your friends and they drink, be ready not to play the sport you are in if your school has guilt by association. And when you get kicked off tell me nothing is dragging you down. Also even if you dont get caught and you are drinking your robbing your team, family and community of your best. Kids that are drinking arent going to be as good as that same kid that isnt drinking

baseball wrote:
rock83 wrote:Well hopefully you grow up and realize that there are more important things than your friends before they drag you down a road you dont want to go. Your friends can make decisions for themselves and yes there are more important things than your freinds. Your family should be and yes hopefully your friends on your team and team are more important than being with a friend that is drinking. When you join a team you make a committment to them and if that isnt important you should think about if it is that important to even go out. When you are older and have a family commitment, hopefully they will be more important than your FRIENDS!

baseball wrote:

yes...when you grow up is right. keep in mind your talking about high school athletes, and whats the most important thing to 95% of kids 14-17?? when you make a commitment to your team.....doesnt mean your whole life has to be that sport. kids have plenty of time to make the right decisions later. if fact, making the wrong decisions will probably help them grow up faster. Some of my best friends drank in high school....they were never dragging me down when i hung out with them.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:12 pm

you said the team should be more important then your friends. also implied friends arent important to a kid. I never said anything about going out and drinking, I said going out with your friends. If your not drinking u arent doing anything wrong. if my friends start drinking who am i to stop them? you said they can make decisions for themselves.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm

rock83, i couldnt agree with you more...
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 pm

riders wrote:rock83, i couldnt agree with you more...

friends don't let friends drive drunk........or maybe drink underage.......or at least try and stop them......why shouldn't you provide the role model?
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:58 pm

In class B this is a much bigger issue. Most of the people you play sports with in high school are the same group of friends you've hung out with since first grade. When any class grows up there are always people that drink, people that drink and play sports, and people that just play sports. Just cause you don't drink but play sports shouldn't mean you should have to avoid your friends from the past 10 or so years cause they want to drink. If anything you should go out with them to make sure they're safe. It's not condoning high school drinking but I'd rather have a kid that doesn't drink go out with them so they have a sober driver for the ride home. If a school wants to penalize a kid for making sure his friends don't go out to a party, drive home drunk, and end up harming themselves or someone else on the road, that's pretty weak in my opinion. As a friend you should try to talk someone out of going to whatever party is going on but if you can't, you shouldn't bail on a friend cause they are going out.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rock83 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:19 pm

And that is fine but then if your school has guilt by association dont complain about being kicked off of a team. When you grow up you will realize that your friends arent as important as you think. Havent you had health classes that teach you how to not get yourself in sticky situations. Ask questions before you go out so your friends dont put you in those spots. A true friend wouldnt put you in a spot that could get you kicked off.

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:In class B this is a much bigger issue. Most of the people you play sports with in high school are the same group of friends you've hung out with since first grade. When any class grows up there are always people that drink, people that drink and play sports, and people that just play sports. Just cause you don't drink but play sports shouldn't mean you should have to avoid your friends from the past 10 or so years cause they want to drink. If anything you should go out with them to make sure they're safe. It's not condoning high school drinking but I'd rather have a kid that doesn't drink go out with them so they have a sober driver for the ride home. If a school wants to penalize a kid for making sure his friends don't go out to a party, drive home drunk, and end up harming themselves or someone else on the road, that's pretty weak in my opinion. As a friend you should try to talk someone out of going to whatever party is going on but if you can't, you shouldn't bail on a friend cause they are going out.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:29 pm

so you would rather a kid say no i wont go...i hope you dont die on your way home. or would u rather your kid say sure ill come with you to make sure u get home safe. you've said when you grow up in all your posts. your not giving them a chance at a childhood if your making them grow up right away.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NorthDakota11 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Rock, Couldn't agree with you more. A friend really isn't a friend if he/she is asking you to do something that could seriously affect a commitment to something that in most cases you love to do and usually only get four years to do... (you can drink till you're dead in most cases 50+ years leagally) The kid doesn't have to go to the party if he/she knows there is going to be drinking... what kid today doesn't have a cell phone? That student athlete can make it abundantly clear that he/she is available to give his/her friends a ride when they want to go home or even give them a ride to the party and pick them up when its done... that way the kid can insure his friends are safe and is also not breaking any training rules...

To you guys that think a kid shouldn't get in trouble for drinking in the summer because the NDHSAA doesn't have any control then... how do you feel about Sammy Sosa, A-Rod and those guys using steroids? It wasn't illegal in Major League baseball but it was in the United States... Very comparable situation...
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:50 pm

NorthDakota11 wrote:Rock, Couldn't agree with you more. A friend really isn't a friend if he/she is asking you to do something that could seriously affect a commitment to something that in most cases you love to do and usually only get four years to do... (you can drink till you're dead in most cases 50+ years leagally) The kid doesn't have to go to the party if he/she knows there is going to be drinking... what kid today doesn't have a cell phone? That student athlete can make it abundantly clear that he/she is available to give his/her friends a ride when they want to go home or even give them a ride to the party and pick them up when its done... that way the kid can insure his friends are safe and is also not breaking any training rules...

To you guys that think a kid shouldn't get in trouble for drinking in the summer because the NDHSAA doesn't have any control then... how do you feel about Sammy Sosa, A-Rod and those guys using steroids? It wasn't illegal in Major League baseball but it was in the United States... Very comparable situation...

Maybe they're not a true "friend" but that doesn't mean you should just say the heck with them cause they want to drink and you don't. If you've known them you're whole life it's going to take more than them going out drinking while you're in a sport for you to write them off comletely. This topic is a very touchy subject so I don't want to offend anyone. I just don't agree with "guilt by association" as a rule for a high school. Lets say someone doesn't even go out and get called late cause someone needs a ride and didn't want to drive. If the kid goes out, picks them up, and the principal finds out about it, should he/she be punished?
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:01 pm

NorthDakota11 wrote:

I think what is happening to A-Rod is exactly what should happen, nothing. A-Rod isn't getting suspended by MLB. Steroids weren't illegal by MLB when he was doing them just like drinking in the summer isn't illegal by the NDHSAA. You just proved my point. If an athlete gets caught DURING season with alcohol, I believe they should be suspened. If a picture of them in the summer surfaces during winter while in basketball season, I don't believe they should be.

Something I find funny... Michael Phelps. The guy has a picture of him takin while holding a "bong" to his mouth. He doesn't get changed. Why not? Because according to authorities, holding a bong to your mouth doesn't imply that you are smoking weed. But yet, a beer can in the backround implies that that person is drinking and should be suspended. I know I'm comparing a highly famous athlete to high school students, but I just thought it was a funny situation.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics