Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby Number7 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:46 pm

Well when they report it to the schools, it isnt always for athletics because kids who dont play sports get their minors called to the school too. Normally, anyone who gets a minor that is reported to the school has to take some form of class/program through the school or an outside source and report to the school when its completed. Im guessing its still confidential information because it isnt being presented to the public. the school keeps that information private just as they would somebody's transcript. I do think they can put minors in the paper though for traffic violations (not positive though).
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:50 pm

Number7 wrote:Well when they report it to the schools, it isnt always for athletics because kids who dont play sports get their minors called to the school too. Normally, anyone who gets a minor that is reported to the school has to take some form of class/program through the school or an outside source and report to the school when its completed. Im guessing its still confidential information because it isnt being presented to the public. the school keeps that information private just as they would somebody's transcript. I do think they can put minors in the paper though for traffic violations (not positive though).

If it is confidential school officials would not be allowed to know about the incident that occured. That would be breeching confidentiality, because the school system is not affiliated with the law enforcement system.

Or am I completely wrong about all of this?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:03 pm

I am not positive on everything either... But i think that both instiutions work together to fight the problem and there is some form of confidentiality. there has to be
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby dtvman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:56 am

baseball wrote:my point is that federal and state laws should not decide if a kid plays sports and what not. if a kid is gonna get suspended it should be for cheating, or skipping class and other school related activities. my point with the laws was that why is it that just the drinking and smoking law gets a kid suspended, when if he gets a speeding ticket he gets no penalty...

The state and federal laws don't decide. The NDHSAA and Schools rules decide. Their rules are in line with laws about drinking and smoking. A school could decide they want to have rules about students caught speeding or running stop signs or whatever they want. Whatever rules they set up are the rules the students/athletes need to follow. If you can't follow those rules you get kicked out of sports or school. It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing there are rules. And if you don't follow the rules you pay the price.
dtvman

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:33 am

amen
when you agree to play sports or participate in any other activity regulated by the NDHSAA, you agree to abide by the rules (and sanctions, punishments) if you break them. Stop whining about confidentiality. Spend more time playing by the rules instead of trying to figure out ways to break the rules and get away with it. Quit crying about the consequences.....When you break rules and laws and get caught, there are punishments. Learn it.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsmart » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:27 pm

well said... If I speed I get a ticket. If i drive drunk I pay the consequences. If I disregard a stop sign I get a ticket. These are the rules for driving and I must abide by these or suffer consequences. If I cheat in a class I suffer the consequences (whatever it may be for the class). If I steal iIsuffer the consequences. Another set of rules I must abide by. THERE ARE RULES IN YOUR SCHOOL AND BY THE NDHSAA these may be different but a rule is a rule. FOLLOW IT OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!!! Stop making excuses!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:36 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:amen
when you agree to play sports or participate in any other activity regulated by the NDHSAA, you agree to abide by the rules (and sanctions, punishments) if you break them. Stop whining about confidentiality. Spend more time playing by the rules instead of trying to figure out ways to break the rules and get away with it. Quit crying about the consequences.....When you break rules and laws and get caught, there are punishments. Learn it.

I have not been whining about confidentiality, I was simply wondering whether or not it mattered. I also spend no time trying to figure out how to not get caught, I simply don't do illegal activities, and if you do, I suggest you stop. That is if you value your season AND your teammate's seasons.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:55 pm

balla45 wrote:

I have not been whining about confidentiality, I was simply wondering whether or not it mattered. I also spend no time trying to figure out how to not get caught, I simply don't do illegal activities, and if you do, I suggest you stop. That is if you value your season AND your teammate's seasons.

I spoke with 2 principals and the NDHSAA.........a state law requires law enforcement to report to the student's school district any violations concerning alcohol, tobacco, criminal behavior, etc. Confidentiality only exists if the media/people were to call the school asking for why Jim-Bob didn't play in last night's game. The school can only say, "not playing for disciplinary reasons."
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:02 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I spoke with 2 principals and the NDHSAA.........a state law requires law enforcement to report to the student's school district any violations concerning alcohol, tobacco, criminal behavior, etc. Confidentiality only exists if the media/people were to call the school asking for why Jim-Bob didn't play in last night's game. The school can only say, "not playing for disciplinary reasons."

You are right except the can't even say, "not playing for disciplinary reasons"...they have to say something like "I cannot confirm nor deny any reports as to why Jim-Bob is not playing"
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 pm

it isn't just school rules, but it is also state law that if you are underage and at a party with alcohol, even if you're not drinking it is still guilty by association.

rules are rules and if you can't abide by them then you shouldn't have the privledge to participate in co-curricular acitivies. if you dont want to get caught then dont take the chance...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Ming01 wrote:it isn't just school rules, but it is also state law that if you are underage and at a party with alcohol, even if you're not drinking it is still guilty by association.

rules are rules and if you can't abide by them then you shouldn't have the privledge to participate in co-curricular acitivies. if you dont want to get caught then dont take the chance...

cant you request a breathalizer test and if that proves you arent drinkin you get notihng??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:12 pm

NO!

Just stay the H-E-double toothpick away from the party!!!!!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:14 pm

Hinsa wrote:NO!

WIERD!!!

because i know its happened before...officer i didnt drink, test me. ok. nothing, ok your free to go...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 pm

baseball wrote:

WIERD!!!

because i know its happened before...officer i didnt drink, test me. ok. nothing, ok your free to go...

Just wondering if it was an athlete?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:35 pm

baseball wrote:

WIERD!!!

You get off in the eyes of the law...but not in the districts that have athletic rules where you are guilty by association
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BBall dominator » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:07 pm

there was a case I know of that happened in the bismarck area. A player was at a party that was getting busted and took a breathalyzer and the cop sent him home w/o a second thought. there are alot of narcs out there so really don't take pictures of yourself I know its hard in the age of myspace and facebook. I know you can't get charged w/ underage drinking by just a picture its a little disappointing the schools feel they have to be judge and jury.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:34 pm

BBall dominator wrote:there was a case I know of that happened in the bismarck area. A player was at a party that was getting busted and took a breathalyzer and the cop sent him home w/o a second thought. there are alot of narcs out there so really don't take pictures of yourself I know its hard in the age of myspace and facebook. I know you can't get charged w/ underage drinking by just a picture its a little disappointing the schools feel they have to be judge and jury.

what part of underage drinking is ok? obviously bismarck has no guilt by association but many schools do.......and for the last time, it's against the rules; why are you blaming someone else for the kid's mistakes? Take some responsibility for your actions; you made the choice to go, be around alcohol or drink. Deal with the results.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:38 pm

just tell me why the kids who are there just for fun are getting in trouble. a bunch of kids get together, 1 or 2 brings beer so that means the reason of the group has to suffer for it?? the kid made the right choice to not drink, why is he punished? and dont say he shouldnt be there cuz thats a weak excuse. hes there to be with his friends LEGALLY, but somebody he didnt even konw was going to be there brings alchohol he sits out 6 weeks?? wheres the logic?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBall dominator » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:01 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:there was a case I know of that happened in the bismarck area. A player was at a party that was getting busted and took a breathalyzer and the cop sent him home w/o a second thought. there are alot of narcs out there so really don't take pictures of yourself I know its hard in the age of myspace and facebook. I know you can't get charged w/ underage drinking by just a picture its a little disappointing the schools feel they have to be judge and jury.

what part of underage drinking is ok? obviously bismarck has no guilt by association but many schools do.......and for the last time, it's against the rules; why are you blaming someone else for the kid's mistakes? Take some responsibility for your actions; you made the choice to go, be around alcohol or drink. Deal with the results.

I"m not saying underage drinking is ok. I'm saying I don't like that some jealous kid or someone who had a problem w/ someone took this to the school. They shouldn't drink if they are in a sport but I'd say atleast 20% of HS athletes do some form or partying either it be in season or out. In HS I never put myself in that position but I don't think that if I was at a friends house and someone brought over some beer I'd just get up and run out of the house.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:17 pm

BBall dominator wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

I"m not saying underage drinking is ok. I'm saying I don't like that some jealous kid or someone who had a problem w/ someone took this to the school. They shouldn't drink if they are in a sport but I'd say atleast 20% of HS athletes do some form or partying either it be in season or out. In HS I never put myself in that position but I don't think that if I was at a friends house and someone brought over some beer I'd just get up and run out of the house.

i would say only about 20% DONT do some form of partying....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBall dominator » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:23 pm

baseball wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

i would say only about 20% DONT do some form of partying....

Haha I was giving the kids some credit but its probably higher than 20%
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:28 pm

baseball wrote:just tell me why the kids who are there just for fun are getting in trouble. a bunch of kids get together, 1 or 2 brings beer so that means the reason of the group has to suffer for it?? the kid made the right choice to not drink, why is he punished? and dont say he shouldnt be there cuz thats a weak excuse. hes there to be with his friends LEGALLY, but somebody he didnt even konw was going to be there brings alchohol he sits out 6 weeks?? wheres the logic?

By being at a party where illegal activities are happening they are passively supporting the illegal activity. Athletes are supposed to uphold a higher standard and if they stay at a place where kids are drinking they are supporting that activity. If the athletes really want to set a higher standard they should tell those that brought the beer to leave. And if those that brought the beer won't leave the athlete has the free will to leave. That takes true courage - to take a stand and show those that are drinking that they DON'T support their drinking by leaving.

I just cannot believe that you continue to make excuses for things that are wrong.

Underage drinking is illegal. Being around illegal activity is supporting that activity. Athletes are supposed to uphold a higher set of morals.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Hinsa wrote:
baseball wrote:just tell me why the kids who are there just for fun are getting in trouble. a bunch of kids get together, 1 or 2 brings beer so that means the reason of the group has to suffer for it?? the kid made the right choice to not drink, why is he punished? and dont say he shouldnt be there cuz thats a weak excuse. hes there to be with his friends LEGALLY, but somebody he didnt even konw was going to be there brings alchohol he sits out 6 weeks?? wheres the logic?

By being at a party where illegal activities are happening they are passively supporting the illegal activity. Athletes are supposed to uphold a higher standard and if they stay at a place where kids are drinking they are supporting that activity. If the athletes really want to set a higher standard they should tell those that brought the beer to leave. And if those that brought the beer won't leave the athlete has the free will to leave. That takes true courage - to take a stand and show those that are drinking that they DON'T support their drinking by leaving.

I just cannot believe that you continue to make excuses for things that are wrong.

Underage drinking is illegal. Being around illegal activity is supporting that activity. Athletes are supposed to uphold a higher set of morals.

What an excellent way to put it!
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:41 pm

Hinsa wrote:

how do you guys get that im supporting underage drinking? im not making excuses for the things that are wrong, im "making excuses" for the kids who get in trouble WITHOUT doing something wrong.

If they leave and dont call the cops that is just as much....passive support....as if you stay and dont drink. why would i want to let the kids who are drinking and smoking tell me what i can and cant do. say im in the weight room lifting and some kids walk over and start talking to me and they are drinking. i guess i have to stop lifting and leave becuase if i dont i support their drinking
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:53 pm

baseball wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

how do you guys get that im supporting underage drinking? im not making excuses for the things that are wrong, im "making excuses" for the kids who get in trouble WITHOUT doing something wrong.

If they leave and dont call the cops that is just as much....passive support....as if you stay and dont drink. why would i want to let the kids who are drinking and smoking tell me what i can and cant do. say im in the weight room lifting and some kids walk over and start talking to me and they are drinking. i guess i have to stop lifting and leave becuase if i dont i support their drinking

Which is exactly what this topic is about. Someone could get in trouble for underage drinking without drinking or even having knowledge of their being alcohol. Say 5 friends gather at a friends basement to play pool. They are playing pool and not doing anything illegal. Two of the friends get together for a picture. In the backround on the table is one of the kids dad's beer. That picture shows up on the internet. Some idiot sees that picture, two kids, and a can of beer in the backround. And takes it to the school. Those kids are now out 6 weeks because their dads beer was on the table in the backround.

I'm not saying that is how the situation is. I'm just showing you a point as to how a picture isn't just.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics