Private Schools Shouldn't be Class B!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndsubball » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:32 pm

my bad i meant to say not private
ndsubball

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Velva is in a tough region, My hometown hasn't came out of that region since the 80's and they had some good teams. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:34 pm

TNT I totally agree with you on the talent in Velva.  I was a part of one of those teams.  I want to tell you this first had tho.  It isn't the coaching that is the problem.  John Lauinger is doing a fine job this year and in all 5 years of his tenure.  The problem is the kids unwillingness to change and to listen.  It is something that just keeps getting passed down from the upper classmen.  One of them needs to step up a assume a leadership position and back the coached instead of everyone wanting to be the team stud.  There is too much I in Velva and not enough team.  This year I can finally see it starting to change.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:40 pm

Velva in Iraq wrote:TNT I totally agree with you on the talent in Velva.  I was a part of one of those teams.  I want to tell you this first had tho.  It isn't the coaching that is the problem.  John Lauinger is doing a fine job this year and in all 5 years of his tenure.  The problem is the kids unwillingness to change and to listen.  It is something that just keeps getting passed down from the upper classmen.  One of them needs to step up a assume a leadership position and back the coached instead of everyone wanting to be the team stud.  There is too much I in Velva and not enough team.  This year I can finally see it starting to change.

totally disagree, sit the kid/kids if they are playing for themselves. Velva has been 9-10 deep for 5 years and the deep is never used. I have watched velva for 5 plus years and i do not think they have a play set up for the end of the game. 
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm

Maybe you are right on the bench not being used effectively, but the whole program is an I program so you can't sit the whole team.  Everyone wants to be THE MAN and there is just never a collective effort.  Now I didn't say coach Lauinger was doing everything right, but he is doing a decent job.  They are a few short-comings and things, but Velva just needs to get over the hump and get the feeling of a winning program.  I have been watching Velva play and been playing with them for 10 years and I can see where you are coming from TNT.  You make good points.  They do also play in a tough Region where Ryan, Bottno, Rugby, and DLB are and those are 4 of the bigger schools in class B.  I still think that the blame falls more so on the players than the coaching.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Velva in Iraq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:50 pm

All of those schools were class A at some point.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the dynasty » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:27 am

lefty wrote:well...i dont think hes really an exchange student. most of them dont stay longer than a year. he wont home over the summer and they brought him back for his senior year.  how does that work???

umm.....i think that works because he was only a junior last year ?

the dynasty

Postby the dynasty » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:31 am

Velva in Iraq wrote:I know of 2 individuals who I am good friends with that were recruited after freshman year of highschool to play at one of the supposed religious schools.  They both ended up playing 3 years of Varsity ball in which the team made 2 state appearances.  I am not going to name names or schools, but the people who don't think this happens are as nieve as it gets!  This always has and always will occur.  Now they don't necessarily give out money, but as a high schooler if you can get guarenteed playing time that is as good as Gold!

NIEVE ???? I've read every comment in here, and the only thing that really makes sense, is everyone is trying to make excuses.  Mabye we should all stop worrying about what the other schools are doing, and just play the darn game.

SUPPOSED RELIGIOUS SCHOOLS?  So your saying they might be religous schools? 
the dynasty

Postby lefty » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 am

the dynasty wrote:
lefty wrote:well...i dont think hes really an exchange student. most of them dont stay longer than a year. he wont home over the summer and they brought him back for his senior year.  how does that work???

umm.....i think that works because he was only a junior last year ?

thats what im saying. have you ever heard of an exchange student being here for two years.  he was here his junior year, went home over the summer, and they brought him back for his senior year.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:32 am

How can you say that it is just private schools recruiting?  Here in Bismarck I know for a fact that BHS and CHS recruit more than St. Mary's and Shiloh.  Even though the private schools are allowed to do it. Some of these kids that used to attend SMCHS and Shiloh now play at Bismarck and Century because of it.   I don't really know about other cities and towns but this is how it is here.
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby the dynasty » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:56 am

Bojan Janjic is not a foreign exchange student. He came to the United state on his own. The only reason he is in Minot is because people he knew went to Minot State University. This is no different than a kid moving to a new town.

Why has no one brought up Kellie Davis from Botineau? He just left Dunseith his senior season just to get on a better team in Botno. Or what about a few years back Mandaree basically gathering all the good players from the reservation to be on one team.

Don't hate the private schools because they are good. And Velva in Iraq, don't hate Bishop Ryan just because they have class and Velva is lacking that most of the time.

the dynasty

Postby TNT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:09 am

the dynasty wrote:Bojan Janjic is not a foreign exchange student. He came to the United state on his own. The only reason he is in Minot is because people he knew went to Minot State University. This is no different than a kid moving to a new town.

Why has no one brought up Kellie Davis from Botineau? He just left Dunseith his senior season just to get on a better team in Botno. Or what about a few years back Mandaree basically gathering all the good players from the reservation to be on one team.

Don't hate the private schools because they are good. And Velva in Iraq, don't hate Bishop Ryan just because they have class and Velva is lacking that most of the time.

As a fan that watches sports all around the minot area i see ryan having very little class.  Ryan was chanting over rated a week or so ago after they beat a ranked team. That shows alot of class huh?
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby Velva in Iraq » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:04 pm

the dynasty wrote:Bojan Janjic is not a foreign exchange student. He came to the United state on his own. The only reason he is in Minot is because people he knew went to Minot State University. This is no different than a kid moving to a new town.

I wasn't meaning they are supposedly religious, obviously they are religous based schools.  I was meaning that not all the kids who attend those schools are religious.  And as far as you comment on Velva lacking class, if you have ever been to a sporting event in Velva you would know Velva is all class.  Minot Ryan on the whole lacks class.  I have never been to a school for sporting events and seen so much disrespectful  and unsportsman like things.  There are also several kids who have attended Velva after attending Ryan who agree with what I just said.  And I don't hate Ryan, just some of the people who belong to the school and think it is all that.  I have several very good friends who attended Ryan and apparently you missed the part about how I was never complaining.  I thought it was a good thing and I know every school would do the same thing is they had the chance.  My guess is you are a disgruntled football fan who is tired of seeing a A team beat the snot out of his "classier" AA team year after year.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Let's have this discussion without anyone losing their cool. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby supermang57 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm

[user=139]Velva in Iraq[/user] wrote: 

I wasn't meaning they are supposedly religious, obviously they are religous based schools.  I was meaning that not all the kids who attend those schools are religious.  And as far as you comment on Velva lacking class, if you have ever been to a sporting event in Velva you would know Velva is all class.  Minot Ryan on the whole lacks class.  I have never been to a school for sporting events and seen so much disrespectful  and unsportsman like things.  There are also several kids who have attended Velva after attending Ryan who agree with what I just said.  And I don't hate Ryan, just some of the people who belong to the school and think it is all that.  I have several very good friends who attended Ryan and apparently you missed the part about how I was never complaining.  I thought it was a good thing and I know every school would do the same thing is they had the chance.  My guess is you are a disgruntled football fan who is tired of seeing a A team beat the snot out of his "classier" AA team year after year.

OK, who cares about class....most schools dont have class, its jsut a fact, so off that stuff, who are these kids you speak of? the ones who attended ryan and then velva, cause i know of 1 such person, who left ryan for velva, and i heard rumors it was over sports, it could be wrong, was it recruiting, maybe....maybe not, and leave the football outta this, so what if velva dominates football every year almost, when you have success year after year its not ahrd to get the gifted athletes in the area to go to that school and not smaller ones like sawyer, or even kids from minot, i dont think theres much recruiting if any, sure it might happen, if it dose happen, lets leave it in the dark....were it belongs  and to accually mention names of players, thats kinda well "dont do it" area, you should never mention names but some people would rather go to the bigger schools...more exposier with college scouts and so on, like it was said, lets not lose our cool and put the whole issue to rest :D
Last edited by supermang57 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Velva in Iraq » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:30 am

supermang the one you are referring to coming to Velva from Ryan you can think of because of sports is Jimmy Dockter...He was a college roommate of mine and a friend in highschool and still is.  The reason he came to Velva was sports, but it wasn't a recruiting thing...He didn't like the coach of Ryan's track team which is why he came to Velva, but went back to Ryan for his senior year.  I went to middle school in Minot so I have quite a few friends who went to Ryan because of sports because they knew they wouldn't get the oppertunities to play at Minot High.  That isn't recruiting just a kid wanting to be involved in athletics in high school.  Class A schools have a name thing and thats who makes the team.  So with the class B schools in Class A towns alot of it is kids just wanting to play and nothing more.  And Velva and Sawyer combine in a lot of sports and even boys backetball for a few years.  I also know the Nathan and Trevor Schweitzer very well because they are family friends and they left Ryan to come to Velva because they didn't like the school.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonman » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:17 pm

[user=47]TNT[/user] wrote:
I think it is wrong to give a player a free ride because he is good at sports, sports are second in school and academics should be number one why not give free rides to good students?
    Yes, but what brings money to a school? A math award? An outstanding 4.0 student? Or a numerious amount of people in a gym two times a week spending money to get into the game and on concessions? Which student would you give money to?
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldmanBBall » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:05 am

I think that Private Schools that can recruit kids to their schools should not be Class B for sports.  They have an obvious advantage over other Class B schools and that is recruiting kids to play sports for them. Does anyone else agree?
OldmanBBall

Postby nativegolfer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:13 am

This topic is going to be flooded with responses from people from these schools/towns.  All of them defending their school against these accusations.  My opinion is that no matter what they say, there definitely is recruiting is some form another at these schools.  But if your'e the NDHSAA what do you do?  You can't keep them from capping their enrollment.  They have no district boundaries.  In the east they put all of the parochial schools in their own class, but there are many more schools there.  The debate will go on and on. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby bluedevilbball » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:18 am

I do agree that this is a tough one.  Those schools do have somewhat of an advantage if a person looks back the Oak Groves and Trinitys have been going to the state b now pretty consistently.  I think it would be a tough thing to change now though with a lot of schools having open enrollment.
bluedevilbball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rebel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:26 am

I am not sure if these schools recruit as much as alot of people think they do, but there is some of that going on whether people admitt it or not.  They also have other advantages as well.  For example, if you ever get a chance to see the weight room at Dickinson Trinity it is bigger and nicer than most colleges in the state!  They even have a weight training class as part of their school day.  Maybe that is common in some schools, but I had never heard of that before. 

A school like Trinity has been to the state tourny 7 out of the last 8 years.  I am not knocking them, they are very talented and work very hard...a class act coaching staff and kids are nice kids.  But if they have advantages over other schools it is not fair.

Look at Bowman...over the last two years they have a record of 43 wins and 6 losses.  They have lost out to Trinity the last two years in regionals.   I would bet that this Bowman team would do very well at state this year, and last year as well.  I am not saying they are the best team in the state...but it would have been nice to see what they could have done, but you will never see it because of Trinity. 

This year 3 of the 8 schools in the B are private...Ryan, Trinity, and Shilo.  Oak Grove is always a contender.  Not sure what the answer is.....but it just does not seem fair.
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby PBKfan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:18 am

Rebel is right here. Bowman would be in the state tourney had it not been for Trinity being able to recruit players.  Just not fair for private schools to be class B, no matter what there enrollment is. Feel sorry for Nic Zenker and the Bowman players and fans for being in that region. Hopefully Trinity loses by a lot.
PBKfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:25 am

Private schools are allowed to recruit.  So that doesn't make any sense to say they shouldn't be allowed to play in Class B.  Plus anyway when they do recruit it is mostly for academics not athletics.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballcrasher » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:31 am

I'm just curious about who Trinity has been recuiting? Which of the starting 5 players has not gone to Catholic School  since 7th grade? or before? And what kind of things are they giving these kids?? Is it money, or clothes, or food, or cars? Everyone is a big talker, but it seems like no one ever has any examples. Give examples, then your case may be more solid.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:48 am

i have heard about the field of the state tournament being expanded from 8 to 16 schools (i'm assuming both teams in the region championship) in order to help with this kind of problem of one dominant team. it sounds like it is directly trying to address region 7. i don't know how it would work, especially that first day (two venues for games or a really early start to the day). maybe it wouldn't work at all.

personally i'm surprised there hasn't been a discussion of a third class in basketball. i'm not for that at all, but after foootball was watered down with four classes, it seemed to be a natural step to screw up basketball, too.

rep

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics