Academic and Athletic Scholarships

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby EDC » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 am

First off, there is a lot more money for college for academic scholarships and grants then for athletic scholarships.  This can be a place for "this is what I learned" or "how does it work?"

NCAA I and II and NAIA (example DAK) can offer athletic scholarships.  NCAA III (example MIAC conference) cannot offer athletic scholarships.  Even if your college can offer athletic scholarships - it is my understanding that the conference will limit how many each school can offer.  Many schools cannot afford to offer the limit.

So lets say that the NSIC has a limit of 10 basketball scholarships.  Moorhead State might have 5 or 6 they can offer.  These can be split.  My understanding is UND had 10 scholarships last year.  Football is even more out of whack. I am not sure if these scholarships cover all expenses of just tuition.

Can somebody define what a "full ride" means?  My understanding is even this is different depending on the level and conference.  Some levels (NAIA for example) might allow for all expenses to be covered (tuition and room and board) but the conference might limit a "full ride" to mean that total scholarships (athletic and academic) can only cover the tuition.

In any event, all colleges have academic scholarships. Most athletic departments rely on this to offer a better "package" to a recruit.  Bottom line, if you are a good athlete and you have goods grades (including a good ACT score) you are much more attractive to a college.  For the vast majority, it is the academic portion of college that stays with you for life.  High school grades are more important than I thought.  It could mean the difference of graduating from college with little or no debt or tens of thousands!

You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:58 pm

from what i have read, i believe a full ride is everything is payed for the athlete, room and board, tution, books, food everything.  the term is thrown out there alot but never really used, there are very few "full rides" given out a year, that is my understanding.  i also have heard that a college give a student so many dollars each month for miscellaneous stuff such as gas money and food and such since the athlete is not allowed to have a job during the season and designated work out periods.  i dont know how true it is but its what i heard so yea...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics