Langdon recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndfan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:15 am

[user=3579]get_the_facts_straight[/user] wrote:
this is my last post.  All of you are entitled to your personal opinion. My opinion is that most of you are wrong and don't understand what this is like. That's the beauty of freedomn of speech. whatever.  How would you feel if i was your daughter and all you could do was stand by and watch?  think whatever.
goodbye

Only if common sense would have played out in this whole ordeal the NDHSAA would have never had to make the decision they did, BUT it wasn't and now other people have to pay the price of a few peoples wrong doing. I'm glad to see the NDHSAA do this to show they aren't messing around when it comes to this topic. Give Langdon a slap on the wrist now and then if other schools start doing it ya have to give them the slap on the wrist to. Hopefully now coaches will think twice about meeting kids who play on other teams homes. If I was a parent right now I'd be stuff off at the coach right now and nobody else.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:37 am

ndfan wrote:[user=3579]get_the_facts_straight[/user] wrote:
this is my last post.? All of you are entitled to your personal opinion. My opinion is that most of you are wrong and don't understand what this is like. That's the beauty of freedomn of speech. whatever.? How would you feel if i was your daughter and all you could do was stand by and watch?? think whatever.
goodbye

Only if common sense would have played out in this whole ordeal the NDHSAA would have never had to make the decision they did, BUT it wasn't and now other people have to pay the price of a few peoples wrong doing. I'm glad to see the NDHSAA do this to show they aren't messing around when it comes to this topic. Give Langdon a slap on the wrist now and then if other schools start doing it ya have to give them the slap on the wrist to. Hopefully now coaches will think twice about meeting kids who play on other teams homes. If I was a parent right now I'd be stuff off at the coach right now and nobody else.

i only wish that they hadn't handled the whole thing with a lot of hand-wringng. in the forum's story it sounded like they were apologizing for their decision. have some guts to stand behind your convictions.

[i]“We certainly don’t want this going on,â€Â
rep

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:16 am

There was a case in California where one of the top football coaches in the nation talked with a 8th grader from a middle school that fed a few different high schools. He asked him to think about going to his high school the next year, it was reported and the coach will be banned from the sidelines for 5 games this fall.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby hgkmjtkitxf » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:07 pm

baseball wrote:So Brittany.......are you and Katrina still planning on playing for Langdon or do you now want to play for Cando and stay in that co-op.  supposedly everyone makes it a big issue because Langdon has gone to state 9 times in a row.  I wonder if that had anything to do with you wanting to play there instead of Cando..........:?

Katrina here, I've also been watching this thread and resisted many urges to respond strongly. And I'll answer that one for myself. No, I will not be going back to Cando. I know all the facts, and there are many which most people don't know. It comes down to that Langdon in no way was trying to take anybody's players, and therefore I STRONGLY disagree with this ruling. That said, the decision was made...and quite frankly it not cool. Obviously I feel some responsibility for a group of hard-working girls who had nothing to do with any of this having a large part of their season taken away. I would rather see a punishment bestoyed upon myself than those girls. And therefore I will play in Langdon if the co-op is formed, and stick with them...it was NEVER about state.

hgkmjtkitxf

Postby fighting_sioux_fan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:47 pm

hgkmjtkitxf wrote:
baseball wrote:So Brittany.......are you and Katrina still planning on playing for Langdon or do you now want to play for Cando and stay in that co-op.  supposedly everyone makes it a big issue because Langdon has gone to state 9 times in a row.  I wonder if that had anything to do with you wanting to play there instead of Cando..........:?

Katrina here, I've also been watching this thread and resisted many urges to respond strongly. And I'll answer that one for myself. No, I will not be going back to Cando. I know all the facts, and there are many which most people don't know. It comes down to that Langdon in no way was trying to take anybody's players, and therefore I STRONGLY disagree with this ruling. That said, the decision was made...and quite frankly it not cool. Obviously I feel some responsibility for a group of hard-working girls who had nothing to do with any of this having a large part of their season taken away. I would rather see a punishment bestoyed upon myself than those girls. And therefore I will play in Langdon if the co-op is formed, and stick with them...it was NEVER about state.

well said trina, there's your answer baseball...........
fighting_sioux_fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:02 pm

fighting_sioux_fan wrote:
hgkmjtkitxf wrote:

well said trina, there's your answer baseball...........

yea she told me.....i wasnt accusing her of doing that.  its just that people seem to think alot of other people have it out for Langdon because they have success.  im just saying why cant people want to go there for that same reason
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby get_the_facts_straight » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:07 pm

pretty sure Katrina and Brittany and that vballer5 or baller5 or something rule......just thought that everyone should know that.

You know who else rules?? the rest of the people sticking up for langdon (live five others)

The rest of you well....................................
get_the_facts_straight

Postby Stromer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:44 pm

get_the_facts_straight wrote:pretty sure Katrina and Brittany and that vballer5 or baller5 or something rule......just thought that everyone should know that.

You know who else rules?? the rest of the people sticking up for langdon (live five others)

I thought you said earlier in a previous post that that post would be your last? :?
Last edited by Stromer on Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:52 pm

get_the_facts_straight wrote:pretty sure Katrina and Brittany and that vballer5 or baller5 or something rule......just thought that everyone should know that.

the only people sticking up for Langdon on this are the players who are looking for sympathy from other people because thye got punished.  you all knew a punishment was coming................................................
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:00 pm

This is comical on so many levels
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:51 pm

baseball wrote:

the only people sticking up for Langdon on this are the players who are looking for sympathy from other people because thye got punished.  you all knew a punishment was coming................................................

i will stick up for the langdon players that were not involved at all not the people trying to transfer and not the coaches but if you were one of the girls who did nothing wrong and worked hard your entire career and then your coaches and girls from another school ruined it for you it would struggle and i feel for those girls

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:34 am

If your coach had half a brain he would not have gone to your house and talked to you.  It not cool for the players not involved but the blame has to rest on your coach's shoulders.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hgkmjtkitxf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:46 am

Is anybody else really tired of talking about this?
hgkmjtkitxf

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:34 pm

And take all the fun out of a slow sports season?;)  its the perfect topic......people are on one side or the other....which leads to some excellent posts (and some real not so excellent)......why ruin the fun now?:P

"sarcasm"
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vball_player » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi everybody!! im on the volleyball team in langdon. i just want everyone to know that the TEAM had nothing to do with this whole thing!! we had no idea what was goin on and is was completely out of OUR hands!! one person on this blog said "its funny how teams that recruit year after year make it back to state." well just to let that person know and everyone else this is the first time ANY school has been charged with recruiting. I am NOT saying what our coach did is right...i honestly think it should have never happened and how he went on doin it was morally wrong and that there should be a punishment that fits the infraction.. but in my mind i personally think that the coach(es) should be the ones getting punished (maybe suspended form coaching or even fired)not the TEAM!! cuz it was the coaches who went over there and not the team!! like i said before we never knew what was goin on, until we read bout it in the newspaper. i dont think that the state should have taken away our right to play the game that we LOVE!! Our team goes to team camps EVERY year..and in the summer while most of the other teams in this state dont practice, we spend our time in the gym/weightroom trying to improve on our game. yeah you all know that we have went on to state for 9 years now, and i can honestly say that langdon has NEVER recruited. Every girl who has been on this team or is still on it today has worked their butts off to make it. its called work ethics and determination that has gotten us this far..NOT recruiting. I will be one of the four seniors on this volleyball team next year..and i would have never guessed that after all of the hours and practices my teammates and i have put in to this sport would be taken away from us for something that we had no control over!! this is the last season where us four seniors will be able to play volleyball together for langdon..and the sad thing is that right now we cant even play in the postseason..it feels like our season is over before it EVEN STARTS!!! its every seniors dream to make it to state and hopefully lead their team to a state championship..but unfortunately that dream has been crushed for us four!  ITS NOT ABOUT THE RECORD ANYMORE!!! of course its nice to say that you have been apart of something for 3 years (so far) out of the nine..and have also been apart of a family that works hard to achieve their goals!!but this is my last year.. i only wish that we could play in the postseason..and who knows maybe some other team could beat us..(but i think its sad that we wont get that opportunity) i can say on the behalf of this team that we would ALL like to see if we could make it back to state, instead of not given that chance to compete..but from my opinion i feel that the ruling was not fair at all..like i said before i think that there should be a punishment but not at the teams sake, but instead of the adults/coach(es) who have started this whole thing. we are student athletes who have been given a punishment for something we did not commit..but the thing is that we are high school volleyball players who just want to play..this ruling will affect the whole team not only the seniors.. but for the underclassmen they still have a couple of years left to play, but again its mine and 3 other seniors last season!!! i feel that this team should have the right to compete against every other team in this state.. but we would all like to say THANK YOU to all of those people who are behind langdon and support us!! but no matter what happens we are still very grateful to be able to play our regular season. and i have something to say bout the MUNICH girls.. they are both EXCELLENT players!! and i think that it says something bout their character that no matter what happens that they are goin stick with langdon!!! just by sayin that all of you who think they wanted to come over here just to be on a winning team is wrong!! they obviously didnt like how they were being treated over at CANDO. and honestly who couldnt blame them!! i only hope that all of you who are happy that our postseason got take away(maybe cuz now you dont have to worry bout us) maybe you can put yourself in our shoes and especially if you were a senior think bout how you would feel if your senior year was taken away from you!! but no matter what the outcome will be our team is gonna stick together and finish our regular season with pride and know that our TEAM has done nothing wrong!!!

sincerely a senior who justs wants to play her last postseason in volleyball
Last edited by vball_player on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vball_player
NDPreps Rookie

Postby fbinnd » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 am

The issue is getting confused by a lot of heart-string tugging from a group of very disappointed girls.

First, Langdon should be suspended.  "Langdon" is bigger than just the players on the team.  "Langdon" involves the players, the school, the coaches, the administrators, everything.  "Langdon" made a violation of the rules, and should not be allowed in the post-season this year.  In fact, they shouldn't be allowed to play a game, or they should be forced to forfeit their entire season before they even play a match.  This has nothing to do with the players, it has to do with a school breaking the rules.  Sorry, ladies, but if the organization you're attached to breaks the rules, you suffer the consequences.  As someone else said, don't blame the state or the rules or the HSAA, blame your  coaches who knowingly broke the rules.

Second, the coaches should be fired, the athletic director fired, the principle fired, the superintendant fired, and the entire school board recalled after they get done firing the above.  The girls aren't the only ones that should pay the price.  After all, they do make a point.  They probably had no idea what was happening.  I agree that the school shouldn't be able to participate, but that doesn't do much to punish the people that threw away the last season of these girls' careers.  The coaches should all be banned from coaching at the high school level for life.  Everyone from the volleyball program and up in the athletic department should be fired and banned from administration for life. 

Third, Langdon should have to submit to a complete audit by an investigator of the HSAA.  The Executive Secretary should go through every travel expenditure of the school, he should question all area schools, including players, coaches, and parents, to determine if this activity extends to other programs.  All leads should be followed up on, and any evidence of further recruiting should lead to more hearings and possible suspensions, possibly leading up to a complete ban of Langdon from membership in the HSAA.  Landgon should also automatically lose it voting position in HSAA general assembly issues for a year.

Finally, the HSAA has shown how weak an organization it is.  "Agonizing over the decision".  This should have been a no-brainer.  Drop the hammer, and not the little one they dropped, but the big one as described above.  But, I can understand why they didn't.  They never drop the hammer on the parochials, so why start now?

PS:  I understand a person's willingness to feel bad for the girls' on Langdon's team.  And I applaud the few that have spoken up here.  But to them and everyone else, let's all remember the girls' that would have had their seasons wrecked if this would not have been noticed.  The teams that the recruited players would have abandoned to join Langdon.  Who speaks for them?  Noone, and that's the real shame.  Justice was done here.  Now people will begin to understand three things:

1.  It's wrong to abandon your team just to go win somewhere.

2.  It's not cool to have to rob players of their right to play because someone else broke the rules.

3.  The best course of action is still simple:  Stay where you're at, and don't screw with the system.  Lots of people get hurt.
fbinnd

Postby vballer5 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:52 pm

actually... its not just a bunch of disappointed girls.

If we for one second knew that any of this was going on ... we would have tried to stop it. I have spent over a thousand hours of my summers in the gym trying to make myself just a little better, and if you're going to tell me that you think i deserve to be punished for something i did not do, than you need to re-examine your thought process! None of these girls deserve this... we all work so hard and want the chance to compete. Consequences are for those who commit a wrong doing.. not for those who are underlying.
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballer5 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:59 pm

hgkmjtkitxf wrote:

hey katrina,, this is jan. i have also resisted many times. people who have no idea whats going on seem to have so much negative feedback... its redic...
vballer5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Stromer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:45 pm

I compare this situation to when a teacher gives the whole class homework because one kids can't stop talking in class.  Is it fair?  In no way, shape, or form is it.  But the teacher wants to encourage peer pressure so that the rest of the class essentially makes the other kid be quiet.  Thats the approach the NDHSAA took here.  They punish everyone, while maybe not fair, to make a point.  Maybe in the future parents at other schools will question their coaches when shady things start happening.  If society deems this approach to be acceptable, which it has by its use in schools, then it should not be found unacceptable in this situation. 

As for the Langdon season being over before it started, I would have to disagree.  Kids all around this state and country play sports.  A great many of them will never have a chance to play for a championship.  I mean, theoretically everyone has a shot at state, but in all practicality there are only a select number of schools that will ever reach state.  Yet kids at these schools with no chance still play out of their love for the game.  Championships aren't everything.  Otherwise nobody would be playing for NDSU and soon to be UND since they can't play for a title during the transition to Division 1.  I expect nobody will quit the Langdon team because they can't go to state.  But instead of dwelling on a bad incident, turn your season into a plus.  Go undefeated, never drop a set, or do something that makes your season a sucess.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:49 pm

fbinnd wrote:The issue is getting confused by a lot of heart-string tugging from a group of very disappointed girls.

First, Langdon should be suspended.  "Langdon" is bigger than just the players on the team.  "Langdon" involves the players, the school, the coaches, the administrators, everything.  "Langdon" made a violation of the rules, and should not be allowed in the post-season this year.  In fact, they shouldn't be allowed to play a game, or they should be forced to forfeit their entire season before they even play a match.  This has nothing to do with the players, it has to do with a school breaking the rules.  Sorry, ladies, but if the organization you're attached to breaks the rules, you suffer the consequences.  As someone else said, don't blame the state or the rules or the HSAA, blame your  coaches who knowingly broke the rules.

Second, the coaches should be fired, the athletic director fired, the principle fired, the superintendant fired, and the entire school board recalled after they get done firing the above.  The girls aren't the only ones that should pay the price.  After all, they do make a point.  They probably had no idea what was happening.  I agree that the school shouldn't be able to participate, but that doesn't do much to punish the people that threw away the last season of these girls' careers.  The coaches should all be banned from coaching at the high school level for life.  Everyone from the volleyball program and up in the athletic department should be fired and banned from administration for life. 

Third, Langdon should have to submit to a complete audit by an investigator of the HSAA.  The Executive Secretary should go through every travel expenditure of the school, he should question all area schools, including players, coaches, and parents, to determine if this activity extends to other programs.  All leads should be followed up on, and any evidence of further recruiting should lead to more hearings and possible suspensions, possibly leading up to a complete ban of Langdon from membership in the HSAA.  Landgon should also automatically lose it voting position in HSAA general assembly issues for a year.

Finally, the HSAA has shown how weak an organization it is.  "Agonizing over the decision".  This should have been a no-brainer.  Drop the hammer, and not the little one they dropped, but the big one as described above.  But, I can understand why they didn't.  They never drop the hammer on the parochials, so why start now?

PS:  I understand a person's willingness to feel bad for the girls' on Langdon's team.  And I applaud the few that have spoken up here.  But to them and everyone else, let's all remember the girls' that would have had their seasons wrecked if this would not have been noticed.  The teams that the recruited players would have abandoned to join Langdon.  Who speaks for them?  Noone, and that's the real shame.  Justice was done here.  Now people will begin to understand three things:

2.  It's not cool to have to rob players of their right to play because someone else broke the rules.

3.  The best course of action is still simple:  Stay where you're at, and don't screw with the system.  Lots of people get hurt.

This is a little harsh.  Chances are that the schools board didn't even know about the meetings.  And the administartion has more to worry about than sports.  Schools are foremost about education.  The day we start firing educators because of sports violations is a day I hope never to see.  They don't even do that in college.  They suspend the program as a whole, kinda like they did here.  Seems like a fitting punishment to me.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vball_player » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:08 pm

Stromer wrote:I compare this situation to when a teacher gives the whole class homework because one kids can't stop talking in class.  Is it fair?  In no way, shape, or form is it.  But the teacher wants to encourage peer pressure so that the rest of the class essentially makes the other kid be quiet.  Thats the approach the NDHSAA took here.  They punish everyone, while maybe not fair, to make a point.  Maybe in the future parents at other schools will question their coaches when shady things start happening.  If society deems this approach to be acceptable, which it has by its use in schools, then it should not be found unacceptable in this situation. 

As for the Langdon season being over before it started, I would have to disagree.  Kids all around this state and country play sports.  A great many of them will never have a chance to play for a championship.  I mean, theoretically everyone has a shot at state, but in all practicality there are only a select number of schools that will ever reach state.  Yet kids at these schools with no chance still play out of their love for the game.  Championships aren't everything.  Otherwise nobody would be playing for NDSU and soon to be UND since they can't play for a title during the transition to Division 1.  I expect nobody will quit the Langdon team because they can't go to state.  But instead of dwelling on a bad incident, turn your season into a plus.  Go undefeated, never drop a set, or do something that makes your season a sucess.
i just wanted to say that i never said the season was over..i said it FELT like it because no matter how good we do in the regular season, thats how far we can go..even if we go undefeated we cant compete in districts, regionals, or state..and i personally dont care if we go to the championship but atleast every other team in this state has that chance to make it there...but for the LANGDON TEAM we dont..
vball_player
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hgkmjtkitxf » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:23 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:And take all the fun out of a slow sports season?;)  its the perfect topic......people are on one side or the other....which leads to some excellent posts (and some real not so excellent)......why ruin the fun now?:P

"sarcasm"

so true...it's pretty much all I hear about lately...haha
hgkmjtkitxf

Postby hgkmjtkitxf » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:28 pm

fbinnd wrote:The issue is getting confused by a lot of heart-string tugging from a group of very disappointed girls.

wow...that's pretty drastic...sounds like you're under the impression that there is a lot of heavy duty recruiting going on
hgkmjtkitxf

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:34 pm

yes he feels its going on all over the state.....every private school every class b dynasty (May-port).  his theory seems to be something like "If your good, You recruit"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby fbinnd » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 pm

Someone has to crack down hard on recruiting, and suspending a team from the postseason doesn't do that.  It penalizes the players, that's it.  If coaches can continue to coach after being caught recruiting, there's no incentive not to do it again.

At the very least, the coaches should be fired and banned from coaching for life.  In all reality, the AD should be fired as well.  And the investigation should take place.  The only message the other schools will get is if Langdon's athletic department is turned upside-down for 30 days.  Langdon should endure the worst kind of violation of their school imaginable by a special audit.  An HSAA official should be in their building every day questioning students, making phone calls to other schools, everything.  Every coach and administrator should get the idea that, when you screw around and get caught, you lose every freedom you enjoy, and the longarm of the law will be there watching over your shoulder every minute of every day until you prove yourself. 

As time goes on, opinion on this will change.  Instead of people seeing the suspension of the volleyball team as a huge punishment, observers will see it for what it really is:  The least possible penalty available.  It could of and should have been worse, way worse.  People should be losing jobs, and investigations should be going on.

What's really sad is that if this would have been some rinky-dink class B, they would have gotten nailed like I'm suggesting.  A small school trying to get way better is how they would have been branded.  But, since Langdon is a steady stream of income at state tournaments, the HSAA only levies a small penalty.  If this was a parochial, the letter wouldn't have even been followed up on.  It would have been thrown away like a letter from Publisher's Clearing House.  I know it seems like the HSAA is finally getting tough, but in actuality, it's the same old-same old, just wrapped a little differently.
fbinnd

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics