recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:55 am

fbinnd wrote:I think we all know that a town attempting to bring families in is completely different than Trinity trying to win region title after region title.  I love the way the parochial backers can skew the facts in their favor, when common knowledge points to conclusions that are otherwise. 

Hey, if you want to justify your parochial school recruiting athletes by pointing the finger at towns bringing in families, I guess you'll do whatever you can to sleep at night.

I've went to a private school and played sports and have had new kids transfer.  I see how it can be misconceived as recruiting a small town kid moves to a larger town and doesn't want to go to a school w/ 2,000 students if they have the means they can come to a private school all students can file for some kind of payment plan but we don't just allow students to come for free.  Private schools do not get help from the government our tuition pays our teachers, books, desks, etc..  So it wouldn't be a good move out allow 5 students to come and not pay the $20,000 over just their HS years.

You say you have all these facts about parachiols you may have a 1 or 2 but I feel you have to be clos e to situation to see what it really is what we see as a random transfer could very well be for family reasons.  Plus its not like you haven't stuck your foot in your mouth about a transfer student already(knife).  Which shows me you just look at the cover and don't see any deeper than that, which takes away alot of your credibility

I was a decent player in HS I graduated from a parachiol school in Bismarck.  I received numerous phone calls from asst. coaches to head coaches since I was a soph. to transfer to area public schools.  Oddly enough the only other parachiol school in town was the only to not call me. That FBINND is a fact and I know for fact over the years many other players have received the same calls and in some cases even visits. Because of where my father worked i received phone calls inquiring if it was in the cards to move and promising a starting position to small class B school in the same region. Nothing really major than just a phone call, so I didn't see anything wrong w/ it.  It doesn't really bug me as much as I know more people think like you do than don't just because they look at the surface. 

I believe that by percentage public schools try to recruit much more than private schools this isn't to say that every public schools recruits that would be just as thickheaded to say that all private schools recruit.  one private school recruiting is probably 5% of the private schools but by comparison I think that 10-15% of the public schools in ND call players and do things that could be in some ways looked as recruiting
Last edited by BBall dominator on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:24 am

For the first time in MANY years enrollment at Trinity may actually increase this fall.  I like to think it's because of ACADEMICS!! 
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:38 pm

fbinnd wrote:I think we all know that a town attempting to bring families in is completely different than Trinity trying to win region title after region title.  I love the way the parochial backers can skew the facts in their favor, when common knowledge points to conclusions that are otherwise. 

Hey, if you want to justify your parochial school recruiting athletes by pointing the finger at towns bringing in families, I guess you'll do whatever you can to sleep at night.
When was the last time a private school was caught recruiting?  They might still be doing I just want to know the last time the ndhsaa punished someone private or public school? excluding Langdon
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TapouTfighter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:50 pm

I've been following this forum for a while now and personally, I have a hard time believing that there isn't some type of recruiting going on in the private schools.  It may not be by the coaches themselves, but by other athletes saying "hey, you should come play for us."  I dont believe it's anything sinister or some big conspiracy, just kids wanting to have a good team.  Either way, I dont know if this is considered recruiting or not.  Also, I don't necessarily think this is the reason for the success of teams like Trinity and Shiloh Christian.  The bottom line is they are considered class B because of their enrollment numbers (which they make sure are just enough to sit at class B), but have a much larger group of athletes to pick from.  I grew up playing basketball in Ashley and it was tough to put together a decent team when you had to compete with wrestling.  The small schools in big towns dont necessarily have this problem.  Simple math says there will be more students able to play a sport in these areas due to the number of students in the town.   As far as the langdon recruiting goes, I think it was wrong, but it's easy to understand why the girls wanted out.  It's sad to see good athletes stuck on very poor teams.  For some kids, athletics is their only chance to get a college scholarship.  The girls obviously would have had more success in Langdon. 
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonslayer » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:51 pm

baseball wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:oh the shame of it......that someone should think that an education is important:shock:

Leave after Sophomore year, Lottery pick, gaurenteed millions....or blow out a knee, work for an average job?

this coming from you who said in a different topic, "not everyone wants to play in the NBA"
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:55 am

TapouTfighter wrote:I've been following this forum for a while now and personally, I have a hard time believing that there isn't some type of recruiting going on in the private schools.  It may not be by the coaches themselves, but by other athletes saying "hey, you should come play for us."  I dont believe it's anything sinister or some big conspiracy, just kids wanting to have a good team.  Either way, I dont know if this is considered recruiting or not.  Also, I don't necessarily think this is the reason for the success of teams like Trinity and Shiloh Christian.  The bottom line is they are considered class B because of their enrollment numbers (which they make sure are just enough to sit at class B), but have a much larger group of athletes to pick from.  I grew up playing basketball in Ashley and it was tough to put together a decent team when you had to compete with wrestling.  The small schools in big towns dont necessarily have this problem.  Simple math says there will be more students able to play a sport in these areas due to the number of students in the town.   As far as the langdon recruiting goes, I think it was wrong, but it's easy to understand why the girls wanted out.  It's sad to see good athletes stuck on very poor teams.  For some kids, athletics is their only chance to get a college scholarship.  The girls obviously would have had more success in Langdon. 

I don't know if any private school turns away students, it just wouldn't be smart from a money persective but one of the biggest lures to go to a oak grove or trinity is small class sizes compared to just being a number at a larger school.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 am

TsapouTfighter says private schools keep their enrollments just below the limit to play class "B" ball????????????????? That logic is brilliant!!!!!!  If thats the case a school like Trinity would be at 300 students instead of 150.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:57 am

Hey, northstar coop wasn't bad....they won a lot of games.....the only problem was they couldn't get to state cuz they had to go thru langdon......the munich girls were not on a poor team.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:44 am

TapouTfighter wrote:I've been following this forum for a while now and personally, I have a hard time believing that there isn't some type of recruiting going on in the private schools.  It may not be by the coaches themselves, but by other athletes saying "hey, you should come play for us."  I dont believe it's anything sinister or some big conspiracy, just kids wanting to have a good team.  Either way, I dont know if this is considered recruiting or not.  Also, I don't necessarily think this is the reason for the success of teams like Trinity and Shiloh Christian.  The bottom line is they are considered class B because of their enrollment numbers (which they make sure are just enough to sit at class B), but have a much larger group of athletes to pick from.  I grew up playing basketball in Ashley and it was tough to put together a decent team when you had to compete with wrestling.  The small schools in big towns dont necessarily have this problem.  Simple math says there will be more students able to play a sport in these areas due to the number of students in the town.   As far as the langdon recruiting goes, I think it was wrong, but it's easy to understand why the girls wanted out.  It's sad to see good athletes stuck on very poor teams.  For some kids, athletics is their only chance to get a college scholarship.  The girls obviously would have had more success in Langdon. 

Even if you DO consider that to be recruiting. Which I would say the majority of people wouldn't say its recruiting unless coaches and/or school officials are getting involved. Then it definately isn't just private schools that are doing that. And this is why it's not the reason to private school success. How many times do you see a good athlete transfer from public to private or even private to private once he is proven to be a good player. I don't see Shipman transfering to Ryan, or Dufault transfering to Trinity. If a athlete transfers to a private school its usually when he is younger.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fbinnd » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am

Exactly, they transfer when they are younger.  Gosh, I remember a guy that looked alot like me and sounded alot like me suggesting that parochials recruit the young kids that have promise so their recruiting goes undected.

Thanks for proving me right, baller01.
fbinnd

Postby TapouTfighter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 am

I agree that there are definatly worse places to be, but we both know which team the girls would have gone farther on.   They could go to state, or they could not go to state.  For most high school athletes thats not a tough decision to make.  And thank you for your input scruffy.  I am now enlightened.
Last edited by TapouTfighter on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BBall dominator » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:02 am

fbinnd wrote:Exactly, they transfer when they are younger.  Gosh, I remember a guy that looked alot like me and sounded alot like me suggesting that parochials recruit the young kids that have promise so their recruiting goes undected.

wow you are ridiculous your debating skills are that of a 4 year-old.  I"m sure coaches check out grade school games and speak to the parents of a 12 year old to transfer to a parahioal school for sports good one
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:03 am

fbinnd wrote:Exactly, they transfer when they are younger.  Gosh, I remember a guy that looked alot like me and sounded alot like me suggesting that parochials recruit the young kids that have promise so their recruiting goes undected.

yea of course every one knows they recruit the 5th/6th graders to play high school ball 4 years later.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:16 am

How come everytime someone transfers to a private school it's because of athletics??? Maybe that little 8 year old is being sent to a private school because he/she had and older brother/sister at this public school and his/her parents were sick of the school system. There you go assuming again that just because a child transfers to a school, it's recruiting.

I've been to younger traveling tournaments (mine and my brothers) for the last 8 years. How come there aren't private school coaches there? You make it sound like all these private school coaches go around drooling over the 5'11" 5th grader.

But FBINND, since you are SOOOO convinced that private schools bring in these studs at a young age. Prove one to me. Elementary basketball starts at the 5th grade level I believe. I know there are traveling tournaments for 4th graders out there. So if you can find me a stud athlete that went to a private school such as Vetter of Ryan this year or maybe Glasser from Trinity from a couple years ago, that started out elementary and middle school at a public school and then transfered to a private school. You might have a case.

My last point. WHY DO YOU THINK PRIVATE SCHOOLS WIN BECAUSE OF STUDLY RECRUITS WHEN 2 of the 3 TEAMS THIS YEAR AT STATE DIDN'T EVEN REALLY HAVE ONE!!! Don't get me wrong, Friesen and Rising were both great players. But they were the only 2, on both teams, that were above average talent players. Trinity had a bunch of average talent players who play great defense, have a great coach, and know how to win. Shiloh had a bunch of young sophomores, a great coach, and played real well towards the end of the year. Oh ya, they also know how to win.
Must have been a slow recruiting year that year huh FBIIND?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:00 pm

Why didn't Marcus Fridley go to Dickinson Trinity I would say that every year before he started high school he was the best player in the state in that age group so why wasn't he there???

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball4life » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:48 pm

baller01 wrote:

How come everytime someone transfers to a private school it's because of athletics??? Maybe that little 8 year old is being sent to a private school because he/she had and older brother/sister at this public school and his/her parents were sick of the school system. There you go assuming again that just because a child transfers to a school, it's recruiting.

I've been to younger traveling tournaments (mine and my brothers) for the last 8 years. How come there aren't private school coaches there? You make it sound like all these private school coaches go around drooling over the 5'11" 5th grader.

But FBINND, since you are SOOOO convinced that private schools bring in these studs at a young age. Prove one to me. Elementary basketball starts at the 5th grade level I believe. I know there are traveling tournaments for 4th graders out there. So if you can find me a stud athlete that went to a private school such as Vetter of Ryan this year or maybe Glasser from Trinity from a couple years ago, that started out elementary and middle school at a public school and then transfered to a private school. You might have a case.

My last point. WHY DO YOU THINK PRIVATE SCHOOLS WIN BECAUSE OF STUDLY RECRUITS WHEN 2 of the 3 TEAMS THIS YEAR AT STATE DIDN'T EVEN REALLY HAVE ONE!!! Don't get me wrong, Friesen and Rising were both great players. But they were the only 2, on both teams, that were above average talent players. Trinity had a bunch of average talent players who play great defense, have a great coach, and know how to win. Shiloh had a bunch of young sophomores, a great coach, and played real well towards the end of the year. Oh ya, they also know how to win.
again i totally agree with baller01. great examples again(but knowing the way fbinnd twists things obviously they will come up with a way that Friesen and rising were recruited to the private schools they played on).... Fbinnd why time and time again, do you constantly twist stories to make it sound like private schools recruit. "private schools recruit kids at their younger ages to cover up the recruiting process" that is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard... quick   question, Do you know one single family in a private school program in north dakota? because if you do i am interested to see if you have asked them why they go to that school.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TapouTfighter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:35 pm

baseball4life wrote:
baller01 wrote:

again i totally agree with baller01. great examples again(but knowing the way fbinnd twists things obviously they will come up with a way that Friesen and rising were recruited to the private schools they played on).... Fbinnd why time and time again, do you constantly twist stories to make it sound like private schools recruit. "private schools recruit kids at their younger ages to cover up the recruiting process" that is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard... quick   question, Do you know one single family in a private school program in north dakota? because if you do i am interested to see if you have asked them why they go to that school.

I agree too.  I cant think of any real great private school standouts.  They just have a bigger draw of kids to choose from as i said before.  There's bound to be more talent in bismarck then there is in zeeland. 
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 pm

cdub1 wrote:

Why didn't Marcus Fridley go to Dickinson Trinity I would say that every year before he started high school he was the best player in the state in that age group so why wasn't he there???

Your grammar is coming along nicely. fbinnd's intelligence is finally starting to rub off on you.
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:57 pm

baseball wrote:

yea of course every one knows they recruit the 5th/6th graders to play high school ball 4 years later.....

Actually thats about the age where you can tell if someone has potential. 
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:52 pm

bisonslayer wrote:
baseball wrote:

Actually thats about the age where you can tell if someone has potential. 

actually....thats about the age you can tell who hit puberty earlier.  some kids are good their own life but then again more then half the studs in elemenetary developed/matured sooner
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:44 pm

Last edited by cdub1 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:44 pm

bisonslayer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

Your grammar is coming along nicely. fbinnd's intelligence is finally starting to rub off on you.

im not going to bash fbinnd or anything but seeing that i have had no conversations with you at all why would you feel the need to bash me?  hahaha i can talk very nice if i am in no hurry and currently i am in no hurry but can someone answer the question

why didnt fridley go to trinity?

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 pm

cdub1 wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

im not going to bash fbinnd or anything but seeing that i have had no conversations with you at all why would you feel the need to bash me?  hahaha i can talk very nice if i am in no hurry and currently i am in no hurry but can someone answer the question

haha i wasnt really bashing you...I was kind of serious, back like 20 pages ago in this topic people could barely read what you were typing, and then FBINND got on you about and its gotten better.

Even though this question isn't directed at me Fridley didn't go there probably the main reason probably didn't like style of play. Think he wants to sit around and pass the ball around 50 times? And didn't want to take up the hard curriculum, like DENIAL as required reading. lol
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:00 pm

cdub1 wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:03 pm

bisonslayer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

haha i wasnt really bashing you...I was kind of serious, back like 20 pages ago in this topic people could barely read what you were typing, and then FBINND got on you about and its gotten better.

Even though this question isn't directed at me Fridley didn't go there probably the main reason probably didn't like style of play. Think he wants to sit around and pass the ball around 50 times? And didn't want to take up the hard curriculum, like DENIAL as required reading. lol

lol that is actually pretty funny   and that is exactly what i am saying what great player is going to want to go to trinity and score 13 points a game when they can go to killdeer or dickinson and score 20 a game???

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics