recruiting

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baller01 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:41 am

fbinnd wrote:From about as far away from Belcourt as possible and still be in the state.  Not as far away, but not in Belcourt, not in the WDA, and not in a position to be hurt by Knife staying or leaving.

But keep digging.  In about, oh, a 100 years or so, you may come up with something.

If you live that far from Belcourt and are class A, then why does it bother you so much about Knife leaving? And why do you have a sour taste in your mouth about Engalhardt wrestling for Napoleon?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:52 am

Playing on a high school team with a winning record certainly does help with the recruiting process and being noticed.  It speaks toward how good the kids are being coached.  The high school coach and the high school program does make a difference.   That is just the first step though.  Summer programs are also very important - especially the further away from home you wanna get exposed to.  It gives the athlete and college recruiters a chance to see you play against the type of competition you would play against in college.  It is also very helpful to play on a winning traveling team.  Might be 100 coaches at a summer tournament but only a handful watch the losers bracket.  Many of the college recruiters don't get a chance to see you play at high school games.   Ruley said a few years back that the first thing they look at when recruiting is if the high school program is successful.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fbinnd » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:58 am

That's Ruley, and that's prior to trying to qualify for the NIT.  New ballgame now.  If a kid has unbelievable numbers, she knows about them.  And if they have the skills, they will be a Bison, and they will be DI, and it won't matter their record during their high school careers.
fbinnd

Postby baller01 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:20 am

Can you answer my question please FB?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:59 pm

fbinnd wrote:That's Ruley, and that's prior to trying to qualify for the NIT.  New ballgame now.  If a kid has unbelievable numbers, she knows about them.  And if they have the skills, they will be a Bison, and they will be DI, and it won't matter their record during their high school careers.

so you are saying every d1 caliber player in north dakota will be a bison now for some reason that seems like bs
Last edited by cdub1 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:32 pm

fb.......i agreed with you right away when you disagreed aobut transferring for more attention, but the more you talk the more you sound like an idiot....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby fbinnd » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:28 pm

High school sport is supposed to be the place where things still stay pure.  We all know they aren't, but it's supposed to be the closest thing that approaches purity.  That means schools get their run, they make due with what they have, and coaching really is evaluated, because you can't handpick your team.

That's why any high school transfer for the reason of sport only is a sickening factor.  It's just not supposed to go on.  This conversation all started when everyone was almost happy for Knife transferring to Bottineau.  The Knife thread was all celebratory for her, without a real regard for the consequences.

Now, people have come forward and suggested the transfer was for more than just wins and losses, and, after hearing some reasons, and being detached from the situation, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go with the flow.  But the idea is still a valid idea, no matter the reason for the transfer.  This is the reason I would have liked to see the Engelhardt situation looked into.  This "I want to win a title" stuff is supposed to be reserved for the pros, not for high school sport.

Don't really care if I sound like an idiot.  The evidence says I'm not.  If this wasn't an issue, the NDHSAA would not have been compelled to change their transfer rule.  But the new rule will do little to help.  This is about parents, and we all know that parents are simply out of control in HS sports.  When I guy like Waylon Starr goes 47-8, makes two trips to state, and still doesn't have the support of the parents, ND basketball has a problem.  I fully believe that parents will uproot their entire family's lives, commute to work or take new jobs, just to "pick" a place for their kids to play.  The closer we get to that atmosphere, the closer we get to the same teams always being loaded. 

Bottineau makes for a perfect example.  No matter the issue, a school with a huge enrollment advantage over the schools they will play will now get richer.  Everyone has talked about why Knife is leaving Belcourt.  Could someone answer why she's going to Bottineau?  Your answer will not matter, because the question exposes this "rich get richer" atmosphere.  If she's going to Bottineau for coaching, it means that kids will transfer to an upper eschelon of coaches.  If it's their success, it means kids will transfer to successful programs.  In either case, the idea of maintaining a program becomes tainted, and the natural turnover of HS ball gets delayed.
fbinnd

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:32 pm

fbinnd wrote:High school sport is supposed to be the place where things still stay pure.  We all know they aren't, but it's supposed to be the closest thing that approaches purity.  That means schools get their run, they make due with what they have, and coaching really is evaluated, because you can't handpick your team.

That's why any high school transfer for the reason of sport only is a sickening factor.  It's just not supposed to go on.  This conversation all started when everyone was almost happy for Knife transferring to Bottineau.  The Knife thread was all celebratory for her, without a real regard for the consequences.

Now, people have come forward and suggested the transfer was for more than just wins and losses, and, after hearing some reasons, and being detached from the situation, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go with the flow.  But the idea is still a valid idea, no matter the reason for the transfer.  This is the reason I would have liked to see the Engelhardt situation looked into.  This "I want to win a title" stuff is supposed to be reserved for the pros, not for high school sport.

Don't really care if I sound like an idiot.  The evidence says I'm not.  If this wasn't an issue, the NDHSAA would not have been compelled to change their transfer rule.  But the new rule will do little to help.  This is about parents, and we all know that parents are simply out of control in HS sports.  When I guy like Waylon Starr goes 47-8, makes two trips to state, and still doesn't have the support of the parents, ND basketball has a problem.  I fully believe that parents will uproot their entire family's lives, commute to work or take new jobs, just to "pick" a place for their kids to play.  The closer we get to that atmosphere, the closer we get to the same teams always being loaded. 

Bottineau makes for a perfect example.  No matter the issue, a school with a huge enrollment advantage over the schools they will play will now get richer.  Everyone has talked about why Knife is leaving Belcourt.  Could someone answer why she's going to Bottineau?  Your answer will not matter, because the question exposes this "rich get richer" atmosphere.  If she's going to Bottineau for coaching, it means that kids will transfer to an upper eschelon of coaches.  If it's their success, it means kids will transfer to successful programs.  In either case, the idea of maintaining a program becomes tainted, and the natural turnover of HS ball gets delayed.

for the first time i agree with something you are saying

my only argument with you is that moving will help shaunna or any player for that matter get noticed

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:17 pm

there are kids transfering on and off the reservation all the time....not sure why it is all of a sudden a big deal now that Shawna Knife did it.  Lisa Perisien from St. Johns to Belcourt in the late 90's.  Chuck Archambeault from standing rock to bismarck high.  Quinn austin from BHS to Standing Rock.  Russ Archambeult from Fort Yates to BHS.  The Finley's this year to two seperate schools.  Its not like this is the first year....Some people don't feel comfortable where they are at.  Amy Triepke moved from South to West Fargo because of coaching issues, she wanted to play for Collette Folstad rather than Flaagen even after she was a two time all stater at south.  Drew Hendrickson would have started this year at St. Mary's, but chose to come off the bench at BHS.  Jordan May, Zach Akers, Nick Savageau, Peter Petia all wanted to play for Shultis rather than Hendrickson....sometimes its not about college at all.....just a change of scenery. 
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:19 pm

fbinnd wrote:High school sport is supposed to be the place where things still stay pure.  We all know they aren't, but it's supposed to be the closest thing that approaches purity.  That means schools get their run, they make due with what they have, and coaching really is evaluated, because you can't handpick your team.

That attitude right there is why so few athletes succeed. There is a fine line between those who play to have fun and those who play to win. You can tell the difference in the player that wants to win then the one that just plays basketball, football etc. for the fun of the game.

Losing isn't fun...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Baller wrote:there are kids transfering on and off the reservation all the time....not sure why it is all of a sudden a big deal now that Shawna Knife did it.  Lisa Perisien from St. Johns to Belcourt in the late 90's.  Chuck Archambeault from standing rock to bismarck high.  Quinn austin from BHS to Standing Rock.  Russ Archambeult from Fort Yates to BHS.  The Finley's this year to two seperate schools.  Its not like this is the first year....Some people don't feel comfortable where they are at.  Amy Triepke moved from South to West Fargo because of coaching issues, she wanted to play for Collette Folstad rather than Flaagen even after she was a two time all stater at south.  Drew Hendrickson would have started this year at St. Mary's, but chose to come off the bench at BHS.  Jordan May, Zach Akers, Nick Savageau, Peter Petia all wanted to play for Shultis rather than Hendrickson....sometimes its not about college at all.....just a change of scenery. 

i agree with this too there are always different reasons people move

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mr. Me Too » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:45 pm

Ask her parents why she's gone to Bottineau, im sure their answer will matter...if they really wanted for the "Rich to get Richer" she could've been in Mandan in the snap of a finger next year with her brother goin to college in Bismarck and an uncle who lives in Mandan...but Shaunna's parents would've moved to Mandan...and for people who wanted to know about why she left Belcourt, "jealousy gets to everyone" and not just players......
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Mr. Me Too wrote:

Ask her parents why she's gone to Bottineau, im sure their answer will matter...if they really wanted for the "Rich to get Richer" she could've been in Mandan in the snap of a finger next year with her brother goin to college in Bismarck and an uncle who lives in Mandan...but Shaunna's parents would've moved to Mandan...and for people who wanted to know about why she left Belcourt, "jealousy gets to everyone" and not just players......

and the mandan girl's would have loved it too so i hope we don't hear more reasons as to why she transferred

i will still say i think she will get more offers at bottineau than she would have at belcout but to clarify i am not sayin she moved to get offers because i KNOW that isn't true

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:17 am

Baller wrote:there are kids transfering on and off the reservation all the time....not sure why it is all of a sudden a big deal now that Shawna Knife did it.  Lisa Perisien from St. Johns to Belcourt in the late 90's.  Chuck Archambeault from standing rock to bismarck high.  Quinn austin from BHS to Standing Rock.  Russ Archambeult from Fort Yates to BHS.  The Finley's this year to two seperate schools.  Its not like this is the first year....Some people don't feel comfortable where they are at.  Amy Triepke moved from South to West Fargo because of coaching issues, she wanted to play for Collette Folstad rather than Flaagen even after she was a two time all stater at south.  Drew Hendrickson would have started this year at St. Mary's, but chose to come off the bench at BHS.  Jordan May, Zach Akers, Nick Savageau, Peter Petia all wanted to play for Shultis rather than Hendrickson....sometimes its not about college at all.....just a change of scenery.

Perfect example. Austin left BHS, went to Standing Rock, dominated his senior year, and helped win Standing Rock a title. That guy was flat out amazing. This stuff has always happened and I really don't know why fbinnd is making such a huge deal out of this.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:27 am

baller01 wrote:

Perfect example. Austin left BHS, went to Standing Rock, dominated his senior year, and helped win Standing Rock a title. That guy was flat out amazing. This stuff has always happened and I really don't know why fbinnd is making such a huge deal out of this.

no bran in diet...needs more ruffage...
rep

Postby fbinnd » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:19 am

Okay, so now our high school kids get so burned out with their varsity programs that they need a "change of scenery"?  So we've come as far as to offer our high school kids a "change of scenery". 

I can see it now, headlines on the news every other night about the latest transfer who need a "change of scenery".  It shows how far out of whack high school basketball is.  No wonder coaches are placed at a disadvantage and get fired every other year.  No wonder administrators are afraid to back their coaches.  If we make little Johnny mad, he'll go looking for a "change of scenery", and the fans on this board will see it all through a kids eyes, never through a coaches. 

I wonder what lessons we're teaching the kids.  I wonder if, when they get to their early 30's, and they have a spouse and kids, and the family they have just isn't doing it for them anymore, and the job is just boring, if they'll remember their high school basketball days, and remember how everyone said a "change of scenery" is a good thing from time to time.  Never mind the committments you've made to others, never mind the committments and time that have been given to others by you.  It's been a few years now, and you deserve a "change of scenery".  So walk out on the family and the job and just go somewhere else and have fun. 

Clearly, high school athletics is no longer the "other half" of education.  There is no educational value left in high school basketball.  If you're not getting YOUR time and YOUR points and YOUR wins and YOUR offers, don't try to inspire your friends, your teammates, your peers, to get better.  Don't organize a camp schedule with your team.  Don't be a leader.  Just go looking for a nice "change of scenery" that fits you better than your situation.  And your parents will cave it because they hate the coach and the fans will all admire you for your "bravery" on leaving your program and heading to the great "unknown" 30 miles down the road.

Sorry, I just threw up a little in my mouth.  I'll go eat some bran now.
fbinnd

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:32 am

fbinnd wrote:Okay, so now our high school kids get so burned out with their varsity programs that they need a "change of scenery"?  So we've come as far as to offer our high school kids a "change of scenery". 

I can see it now, headlines on the news every other night about the latest transfer who need a "change of scenery".  It shows how far out of whack high school basketball is.  No wonder coaches are placed at a disadvantage and get fired every other year.  No wonder administrators are afraid to back their coaches.  If we make little Johnny mad, he'll go looking for a "change of scenery", and the fans on this board will see it all through a kids eyes, never through a coaches. 

I wonder what lessons we're teaching the kids.  I wonder if, when they get to their early 30's, and they have a spouse and kids, and the family they have just isn't doing it for them anymore, and the job is just boring, if they'll remember their high school basketball days, and remember how everyone said a "change of scenery" is a good thing from time to time.  Never mind the committments you've made to others, never mind the committments and time that have been given to others by you.  It's been a few years now, and you deserve a "change of scenery".  So walk out on the family and the job and just go somewhere else and have fun. 

Clearly, high school athletics is no longer the "other half" of education.  There is no educational value left in high school basketball.  If you're not getting YOUR time and YOUR points and YOUR wins and YOUR offers, don't try to inspire your friends, your teammates, your peers, to get better.  Don't organize a camp schedule with your team.  Don't be a leader.  Just go looking for a nice "change of scenery" that fits you better than your situation.  And your parents will cave it because they hate the coach and the fans will all admire you for your "bravery" on leaving your program and heading to the great "unknown" 30 miles down the road.

Sorry, I just threw up a little in my mouth.  I'll go eat some bran now.

tell me how a chage of scenery is bad, all you did in that whole rant was disagree as to why its good but you never gave a reason.  lets give an example here, say you work at Job A which pays less and you dont like it, then a few years later you get offered Job B which pays more and is sometihng you enjoy?  your saying that its bad to take that job because it will hurt people who know you at Job A, so instead of making yourself and your family happy you stay, be miserable, jsut because it wont upset the other people in the community.  maybe your just a great citizen or whatever but there are times you have to do stuff for yourself and your own family, and not for everyone else that will be affected by your decision.
Last edited by baseball on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:56 am

I am not saying that I like kids transferring every time something does not go their way.  But if I am miserable teaching at School A and don't like my principal, and I have the opportunity to "transfer" to School B, you better believe that is what I do because this country is about the persuit of happiness, not the persuit of your nieghbor's happiness.  If a kid has a good reason, then go for it.  Why do you suppose coaches change jobs....Tim Miles just transferred to a bigger school for more exposure and everyone pats him on the back.  THAT is true life.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Baller wrote:I am not saying that I like kids transferring every time something does not go their way.  But if I am miserable teaching at School A and don't like my principal, and I have the opportunity to "transfer" to School B, you better believe that is what I do because this country is about the persuit of happiness, not the persuit of your nieghbor's happiness.  If a kid has a good reason, then go for it.  Why do you suppose coaches change jobs....Tim Miles just transferred to a bigger school for more exposure and everyone pats him on the back.  THAT is true life.

Amen to that. I don't really care if a whole town hates me. If I am happy where I am at and happy playing for the team I play for, that is all that matters.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue May 01, 2007 6:22 am

you guys are comparing high school sports to a JOB? hahahaha....try the statement i needed a change of scenery to the next boss who wants to hire you, especially if you left your last job after a short time. Job hopping looks bad on the resume, dudes.  pro athletes are just that, pros.....they are being paid to do a job....24/7...high school sports is not supposed to be a PAID to play deal. 

if you want to take the "job" analogy farther, how long before schools institute "no competition" clauses....if you come and play for us, and we invest time, money, coach, etc. into your basketball career, you can't leave or play for anyone else for xxxxx amount of time or you owe us xxxxx amount of dollars for all the work we've put into improving your skills........sheesh

bottno gets how much press outside of the bottno area?  do coaches outside of nd pay attention to regular teams?  not much, from what i've seen; any coach outside nd isn't going to know the difference between botno, bowman, belcourt, beach, beulah, or bowbells; mandan is about the only school who gets their athletes out of nd to get noticed by college scouts........

you want to get noticed? work your tail off, get out into aau  or some sort of summer ball and quit thinking that if only i was that team.......i'd be so much better off......grass isn't always greener
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fbinnd » Tue May 01, 2007 6:42 am

Thank you.  Everything said.  At the college level and the pro level, it's about hunting wins.  High school athletics is about learning skills for life.  You pursue winning, and you stay away from paths that lead away from winning, but you don't "job hop" for a "change of scenery" in high school.  That's just pathetic.
fbinnd

Postby Baller » Tue May 01, 2007 7:34 am

you are guys are completely misinterpreting what I am trying to say.  I don't think that people should transfer for wins or for more playing time.  But I think that if they have a legit reason, then I don't think they should be punished.  If a girl is made uncomfortable by a male coach then she should be able to transfer.  If I am playing for shanley and my family falls on hard times and can no longer afford it, then I should be able to transfer.  If I am being harrassed in school, then I should be able to transfer.  Some of these reasons have nothing to do with sports and if a kid transfers because of them, they shouldn't be punished by not being allowed to play.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SDHoops » Tue May 01, 2007 7:40 am

SO WHAT ARE YOU GUYS SAYING HERE, RECRUITING OR PERSUADING? ALL OF THE STUFF ON THIS THREAD SOUNDS LIKE PERSUASION AS OPPOSED TO RECRUITING.

The purpose of strict transfer rules is for student-athletes of the past who have went from school to school without any restriction like back in the 90's. However, in today's world of athletics, when teams win championships (like Mandan, Bottineau) and a student wants to transfer there, they immediately get a "RECRUITING" sticker on them, when in fact it is totally up to the student-athlete. I went to a youth tournament for middle school aged students last month and there was nothing but high school asst. and head coaches there taking mental notes of some future athletes they might get. Parents you should quit b*tching and consider how your kids might feel about the area they are living in when you plan to have a life there before they are born. Some students feel there is more opportunity out there for them to meet more people play in different gyms, feel what it likes to go to a big school. Come on now, if someone wants to transfer all the public sees is that they were recruited when in fact they probably weren't at all. In a lot of cases the coaches don't even know the student is going there until they enroll or move to the area. So get over it......only a small percentage of athletes make it to the college level so all this "exposure" stuff is hilarious. Even the shiniest of gems hidden under a rock will eventually get discovered....

Definition of recruiting:

re·cruit  
v.   re·cruit·ed, re·cruit·ing, re·cruits

v.   tr.

1. To strengthen or raise by enlistment.
  2. To supply with new members or employees.
  3. To enroll or seek to enroll/
  4. To replenish.
  5. To renew or restore the health, vitality, or intensity of.

v.   intr.

1. To obtain replacements for or new supplies of something lost, wasted, or needed.
  2. To regain lost health or strength; recover.

n.  

1. A new member of an organization or body.
[/*]
per·suade

–verb (used with object), -suad·ed, -suad·ing.

to prevail on (a person) to do something, as by advising or urging.

to induce to believe by appealing to reason or understanding; convince.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby fbinnd » Tue May 01, 2007 8:16 am

SDHoops wrote:Some students feel there is more opportunity out there for them to meet more people play in different gyms, feel what it likes to go to a big school. 
Yep, there's a time and a place for some students to think that.  It's called "college".   "College" is where you go for new experiences and new opportunities.  And when it comes to sports, persuading is recruiting.  Contact made by a coach meant to "persuade" an athlete to transfer is recruiting.
fbinnd

Postby baseball » Tue May 01, 2007 9:00 am

I still would love to hear why you think kids should stay in one place their whole life even if they hate it instead of searching for their own happiness and not someone elses
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics