Va tech

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm

baseball wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:my first thought in all of this is, i wonder if basically virginia isn't a whole lot like north dakota. i mean, access to guns isn't really too restrictive in the state. how long before some person goes off and starts shooting up a north dakota high school/college.

christ sakes. why people want to have kids is beyond me some days. pretty scary world.
Yea, makes one wonder, just hopefully it never happens. I heard today that VT had like bomb treats last week and kinda thinking wouldn't that make one wonder if something else might happen?

good point.....2 bomb threats in a week, a guy shoots people in a dorm, so lock the campus for an hour, think everything is in the clear then take it off.  you would think that even after a bomb threat the campus would be closed until it is for sure there is no bomb
Yea, just doesn't make any sense. It's really too bad when some lifes probably could have been saved.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:21 pm

college of 26K students 10K so employees and no security film of any of this? how is hat possible
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:27 pm

baseball wrote:college of 26K students 10K so employees and no security film of any of this? how is hat possible

Not a clue, however the foreign guys video on his phone doesnt show anything really but give u an audio sense.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm

My thoughts and prayers also go to the family and friends that lost loved ones today and to anybody that was affected by it. I have a dad who is a administrator and mom who teaches and this is definitely something you don't wanna see anywhere. People who do stuff like this make me sick and hopefully they rot in :flaming: forever.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rumbles » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:02 pm

ndfan wrote:My thoughts and prayers also go to the family and friends that lost loved ones today and to anybody that was affected by it. I have a dad who is a administrator and mom who teaches and this is definitely something you don't wanna see anywhere. People who do stuff like this make me sick and hopefully they rot in :flaming: forever.
i think that is what the shooters think of the people who they are after also
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:43 pm

rumbles wrote:
ndfan wrote:My thoughts and prayers also go to the family and friends that lost loved ones today and to anybody that was affected by it. I have a dad who is a administrator and mom who teaches and this is definitely something you don't wanna see anywhere. People who do stuff like this make me sick and hopefully they rot in :flaming: forever.
i think that is what the shooters think of the people who they are after also

i dont think those brain dead losers that do the shooting actually think of anything, they are just the low down scum of the world.   my :2cents:
klg_11

Postby deere » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 am

how screwed up in your head are that you murder someone but 32 others and then turn the gun on you....wow...and it was over what your girlfriend....wouldnt of wanted to see what the tard would of done if it would be a real problem...jeez
deere

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:34 am

What an awful thing you have to have going through your mind as you listen to the class next to you get shot and then have to jump out a 2nd story window to save your own life!  That is scary stuff.  Shows you how mortal we all are!  My prayers go out to the families and victims!

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby feeshattack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:42 pm

i was flipping threw the channels today and i saw that Larry King was having a V Tech special, so i thought i would watch part of it.... you would not believe the interview they had, the students they interviewed were trying to tell what happened and couldnt, the turmoil they were going through was terrible, one student talked about watching his friend get a bullet rite to his head

i dont know how many of you are catholic or even ever pray, but just say a prayer for the families and victims of this massacure, they need support
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:49 pm

feeshattack wrote:i was flipping threw the channels today and i saw that Larry King was having a V Tech special, so i thought i would watch part of it.... you would not believe the interview they had, the students they interviewed were trying to tell what happened and couldnt, the turmoil they were going through was terrible, one student talked about watching his friend get a bullet rite to his head

i dont know how many of you are catholic or even ever pray, but just say a prayer for the families and victims of this massacure, they need support

very true. im christian (lutheran) but close enough!

today i read that schools in over 9 states were shutdown today because of threats made. that is a bunch of bs.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/UNIVERSITY_BOMB_THREAT?SITE=NDWIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
klg_11

Postby project-pat » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:53 pm

klg_11 wrote:
feeshattack wrote:i was flipping threw the channels today and i saw that Larry King was having a V Tech special, so i thought i would watch part of it.... you would not believe the interview they had, the students they interviewed were trying to tell what happened and couldnt, the turmoil they were going through was terrible, one student talked about watching his friend get a bullet rite to his head

today i read that schools in over 9 states were shutdown today because of threats made. that is a bunch of bs.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/UNIVERSITY_BOMB_THREAT?SITE=NDWIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

This is just getting out of hand. Someone PLEASE tell me that America is not going to turn into the old west, where everyone has to carry a gun for safety.
Last edited by project-pat on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 pm

project-pat wrote:
klg_11 wrote:

Rapid City's Central High School was shut down after a gunman prank.
ya that is the first one i heard about, tempting me to look it up, my sister lives in rapid so i heard about it, she goes to the college there but it affected them as well.
klg_11

Postby bballfan_05 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:05 pm

Guess there was a duffle bag found on the NDSU campus and thought it might be a bomb threat. However, it was found to be just someone who lost their bag. Have to give the campus credit though for taking the necessary precautions by closing buildings and calling in the professionals.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mustanghero » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:15 pm

DHS has had a bomb threat & a gunb threat & they reacted the min. they found out by shuting it down & locking the doors from the oustide to the gun threat & makin them get out into the Ice rink for the bomb threat. But they didn't even shut down anybuildings until later at VT when some people had already been killed/shot ?!?!?! confusing stuff. all around a low blow below the belt that was totally uncalled for.
Find a sport you love, and you'll never practice a day in your career
Mustanghero
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Take my word for it, but in the next 20 years or so, armed private security on campuses and in public areas will become all so common.  This is much more prevalent in other countries and will become another part of our society.  It's not really a bad thing if it helps to keep innocent people safe and can provide jobs for tens of thousands of people.  On the other hand the cost of those security people will be passed on to the students and consumers in the form of higher prices.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:42 am

NDSportsFan wrote: Take my word for it, but in the next 20 years or so, armed private security on campuses and in public areas will become all so common.  This is much more prevalent in other countries and will become another part of our society.  It's not really a bad thing if it helps to keep innocent people safe and can provide jobs for tens of thousands of people.  On the other hand the cost of those security people will be passed on to the students and consumers in the form of higher prices.

agreed...i spent a month in college (summer of 2002 i think?) studying in england and when we landed in the airport in london, i was pretty much blown away by there being guys walking around with fully automatic looking guns. basically there wasn't going to be a whole lot of back-talking from me there...no bad-teeth jokes until we got out of the airport anyway.  

in comparison, when i took a little side trip to ireland for a week, there was a gate where everyone was supposed to be checked for random guns and bombs and stuff. when we got off the plane they just waved everyone through. maybe i have a trusting face or something, but i was pretty shocked that they had this setup and weren't using it. of course, there is a reason why northern ireland can be mistaken by the untrained eye for beruit.

rep

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:47 am

Yeah, I just spent a week in parts of Asia and I definetly got a free pass through lots of security because I'm an American.  Meanwhile everyone else was getting pulled over and patted down.  Lot's of fully camo'ed police carrying M16's, and private security with pistol gripped shotguns.  Sometimes going into department stores was like trying to get into an American federal building.   However, i never felt bothered by it, except once when i couldn't wear my cap in a store.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby always a sports season » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:48 pm

Everyone keeps saying there were warning signs with this killer.  However, just exactly what can be done?  You can't just lock someone up for being mentally ill.  And I'm sorry just counseling is not going to be enough for someone like this. 
always a sports season

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:52 pm

always a sports season wrote:Everyone keeps saying there were warning signs with this killer.  However, just exactly what can be done?  You can't just lock someone up for being mentally ill.  And I'm sorry just counseling is not going to be enough for someone like this. 

isnt that what the state hospital in jamestown is for? im sure virginia has one
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby klg_11 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 pm

always a sports season wrote:Everyone keeps saying there were warning signs with this killer.  However, just exactly what can be done?  You can't just lock someone up for being mentally ill.  And I'm sorry just counseling is not going to be enough for someone like this. 

ya u cant really predict something like this.
klg_11

Postby always a sports season » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 pm

baseball wrote:

My point is that it is not so easy to get someone committed there unless they've done some action - I'm not sure just talk is enough unless it's suicidal or a specific threat to someone else.
always a sports season

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 pm

always a sports season wrote:
baseball wrote:

My point is that it is not so easy to get someone committed there unless they've done some action - I'm not sure just talk is enough unless it's suicidal or a specific threat to someone else.

it was suicidal.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby always a sports season » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:16 pm

baseball wrote:
always a sports season wrote:
baseball wrote:

it was suicidal.....
Unless I haven't heard everything (which could be true because I work where I can't hear the news throughout the day) I thought the concerns for suicide were a few years ago after the police interviewed him.  He wouldn't have been in the hospital from then until now.  Although, you have a point - maybe he would have received help and medication that would have changed the course of his life.
always a sports season

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:24 pm

yea it was suicidal a few years back but all they did was a couple sessions with an on campus counciler....thats what i mean maybe putting him in the hospital might have helped
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cheesewheel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Sadly, there is nothing you can do about people like this. They are old enough to make decisions on their own. They are not under the legal care of anybody anymore. He would have had to agree to any counseling. Unless he had committed an act previously which deemed him a threat to himself or society.

But as for the shooting. You can not blame it on the shooter 100%.

Coming from a person who has had problems in his life. Mental illnesses affect you in ways most people will not ever understand. You don't really have control over what you are doing. It feels right at the time and you think it is right. It affects you severly, your thoughts and morals are warped during times like this. You can not blame one man saying he should rot in heck if he indeed did have a mental illness. No one will really understand what he was going through now. All we can do is pray this type of thing will not happen again.

Also, my condolences go out to everyone at Virginia Tech and all of their families. It truly is a devastating time.
cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics