What should be televised

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Should state baseball be televised?

yes
69%
no
31%

Total votes : 36

Postby power-aid14 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:09 pm

I personally would like to see state baseball be aired on Tv. I could see the argument for track to be televised but the time between events would be a hassle. What do you guys think?
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:14 pm

state baseball and state legion baseball
rep

Postby Number7 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:25 pm

I believe both should be televised but I dont think it will every be done due to a lack of interest compared to other sports and its more difficult to get solid camera angles at a lot of baseball fields.  They are not meant for television.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:36 pm

rep wrote:state baseball and state legion baseball

i dotn think legion needs to be televised just because it isnt NDHSAA
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby always a sports season » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:40 pm

I think the Fargo tv stations say they will only do 3 state tournaments because they get a lot of complaints from non-sports people for preempting the regular programming for state fb and basketball.  But in the summer with only reruns they wouldn't have those complaints.  It would be fun to have baseball get that kind of promotion.

However, there's nothing better than listening to baseball on the radio so that's pretty  cool, too.
always a sports season

Postby always a sports season » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:42 pm

baseball wrote:
rep wrote:state baseball and state legion baseball

i dotn think legion needs to be televised just because it isnt NDHSAA

Some towns only have Legion ball.  Legion ball should be treated with the same respect as NDHSAA sponsered sports.
always a sports season

Postby sportsmart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:55 am

Think about it how many people would actually watch high school baseball on tv??  Watching the pros can get boring.   There is no way the ratings would be crap and wouldn't be worth the time.  High school baseball is a fine sport, but a boring sport to watch compared to other sports!!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:30 am

sportsmart wrote:Think about it how many people would actually watch high school baseball on tv??  Watching the pros can get boring.   There is no way the ratings would be crap and wouldn't be worth the time.  High school baseball is a fine sport, but a boring sport to watch compared to other sports!!
i don't really like to watch baseball either but id watch nd state just because i know the people and id be interesting to watch a couple high school games that i wouldn't have seen otherwise. 
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:42 am

roughrider125 wrote:
sportsmart wrote:Think about it how many people would actually watch high school baseball on tv??  Watching the pros can get boring.   There is no way the ratings would be crap and wouldn't be worth the time.  High school baseball is a fine sport, but a boring sport to watch compared to other sports!!
i don't really like to watch baseball either but id watch nd state just because i know the people and id be interesting to watch a couple high school games that i wouldn't have seen otherwise.
You would be a minority!!!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:54 am

scc wrote:I think televising baseball would be fine if they'd also show state volleyball.
Yeah that would have about the same interest as they are both about as interesting!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:09 am

scc wrote:
sportsmart wrote:
scc wrote:I think televising baseball would be fine if they'd also show state volleyball.
Yeah that would have about the same interest as they are both about as interesting!

That was my point.  North Dakota is a basketball state.  That will not change.
Agreed and state baseball and volleyball don't belong on tv.  Leave it as it is.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm

sportsmart wrote:

if you've never played organized baseball or understand it well obviously you will think it's boring.  Baseball is a thinking man's game.
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:47 am

The fact of the matter is that all over the state high schools concentrate on the two big-money sports football and basketball.  Those have always drawn teh most interest and it will continue that way.  Even college baseball receives FAR less attention than college football and basketball until the Colege World Series.  I love baseball and would be elated if the state tournament were televised, but most sports fans in North Dakota and around the country only want to watch professional baseball unless they are personally connected.  For example, if Williston were to play Dickinson for the state championship, TV ratings would be horrendous in Fargo, Grand Forks, and bad but not as severe in Minot and Bismarck.  Its all about the money and TV stations wont take that risk. It not cool, but it is reality until something changes.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby klg_11 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:20 am

sportsmart wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:

i guess i would be minority too. i would really enjoy watching it on tv. but i guess i really love the game of baseball. i would have to guess you like baseball with braves avatar and everything but really i would enjoy seeing those games that i wont be able to make it to because i cant get the time off of work,
klg_11

Postby play_d_shoot3 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:12 am

Yeah it's tough to say what should and shouldn't be on TV considering many people have different takes on sports...
play_d_shoot3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:57 am

sportsmart wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:

actually u'd be the minority.... 12 to 5. look at the poll.
klg_11

Postby klg_11 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:21 pm

scc wrote:This is a related question...

If three classes passes (couldn't resist that rhyme), would all six tournaments (three classes of two genders) all be televised?  I think the only way that happens is if all three classes run their state tournament like the "Super A" tournament.  I can see it now.....the Super AA, Super A, and Super B.....woo hoo.  :down:

good question, hadnt even thought of that yet, it would be questionable about airing time of the tourneys

klg_11

Postby mike thingstad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:56 am

I think it works in football on tv with 4 classes, why wouldn't it work with basketball with only three? But I think that it would have to be on different weekends. Or have the finals on different days.

scc wrote:This is a related question...

If three classes passes (couldn't resist that rhyme), would all six tournaments (three classes of two genders) all be televised?  I think the only way that happens is if all three classes run their state tournament like the "Super A" tournament.  I can see it now.....the Super AA, Super A, and Super B.....woo hoo.  :down:
mike thingstad
NDPreps Starter

Postby highheat » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:41 am

if they only televised the championship games for all six basketball classes like they do with football it would work. the way they do it now with the semifinal games being televised would not work with the three classes. people already do not like having the regular programming being taken up by high school basketball, think if they doubled the number of games shown how many more people would be against the programming changes.
highheat

Postby Honus355 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:40 am

Not to mention that the "B" is televised all three days. Its one of the awesome parts about the "B", that each team gets air time. It will be terrible and people will hate it if there become 3 classes.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Return to Hot Topics