Who Gets the Most Sports Coverage

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Roughrider » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:18 pm

I think that KFYR in Bismarck does a great job of covering highschool sports in the western half of the state.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby always a sports season » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:38 pm

highheat wrote:im suprised that one of the fargo tv stations doesnt have a sports show solely devoted to local high school sports. i know the forum has an entire page just for high school sports almost every thursday.
That would be a great idea for the Fargo tv stations.  It gets tiresome hearing about Minnesota all the time.
always a sports season

Postby rep » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:34 pm

always a sports season wrote:
highheat wrote:im suprised that one of the fargo tv stations doesnt have a sports show solely devoted to local high school sports. i know the forum has an entire page just for high school sports almost every thursday.
That would be a great idea for the Fargo tv stations.  It gets tiresome hearing about Minnesota all the time.

you think you are tired of it? i live in jamestown and i get the fargo nbc versus the bismarck nbc. i could have good ol lt telling me about how the west region is doing in basketball, but instead i've got a breakdown on friggin spuds hockey.
rep

Postby EDC » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:42 pm

rep wrote:
always a sports season wrote:

you think you are tired of it? i live in jamestown and i get the fargo nbc versus the bismarck nbc. i could have good ol lt telling me about how the west region is doing in basketball, but instead i've got a breakdown on friggin spuds hockey.

[font=Times New Roman]Had to laugh - that is exactly how I feel.  I bet some of the Fargo TV stations between pre day hype, actual game day footage, reaction the day after game day did 40-45 spots on Moorhead hockey.  And on the way back from the hockey game the reporter will stop at the Moorhead girls bb game, or maybe DGF (so often everybody knows who JLo is!)  The Forum has one writer assigned to high school sports for MN and one for ND.  They admit that Moorhead hockey isn't even part of this mix - it stands on its own like NDSU.[/font]
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby always a sports season » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:41 pm

I even get annoyed listening to State Class B tv coverage for both fb and bb because the sportscasters really haven't followed any of the kids playing and they act like they know them personally.  And I guess I prefer play-by-play rather than just the commentary they give.  But that's just my personal preference. 
always a sports season

Postby 22bball22 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 am

roughrider125 wrote:
EDC wrote:Does anybody have any issues with the amount of sports coverage one town or school gets compared to neighboring locations?  Living in the east, seems like Minnesota (namely Moorhead) gets quite a bit compared to the EDC teams.  TV stations had tape of virtually every Spud hockey game for instance.  What about Mandan/Bismarck or the Minot schools or big schools compared to smaller schools or even between sports?  Does the amount of coverage a school gets influence how good you think an athlete is?

In the F-M area Moorhead is #1 and then DGF.  It is really weird that DGF, Hawley and Ada-Borup get more press than FS and FN:?  WF and Shanley get no credit ...unless Dominique Schuler is playing:D

i thought shanley got a lot of coverage for girl and boys bball this year.
22bball22
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:09 am

roughrider125 wrote:
EDC wrote:Does anybody have any issues with the amount of sports coverage one town or school gets compared to neighboring locations?  Living in the east, seems like Minnesota (namely Moorhead) gets quite a bit compared to the EDC teams.  TV stations had tape of virtually every Spud hockey game for instance.  What about Mandan/Bismarck or the Minot schools or big schools compared to smaller schools or even between sports?  Does the amount of coverage a school gets influence how good you think an athlete is?

In the F-M area Moorhead is #1 and then DGF.  It is really weird that DGF, Hawley and Ada-Borup get more press than FS and FN:?  WF and Shanley get no credit ...unless Dominique Schuler is playing:D

The only local Class B team The Forum covers is Oak Grove. Unless it is districts, then there is some coverage. We're lucky to get our scores in the paper, let alone an article. The same goes for the TV stations... not much coverages if you are outside of Fargo.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:27 am

I see the same thing, I think Gf Herald does a good job with small-town class B coverage.  The Fargo Forum is terrible.  as for the tv stations, in GF & Fargo,  I agree with EDC, KVLY is all about spuds hockey, & hawley/DGF or some other MN town.  They seem to hit oak grove & kindred for class B stuff fairly often.  for GF, wdaz seems to do a very good job on class B stuff for the most part.  whichever teams are at the top of the standings, that's where they'll go to get some highlights.  Budgets probably have a lot to do with where they spend their time. 
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:34 am

ClassBEast wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:

The only local Class B team The Forum covers is Oak Grove. Unless it is districts, then there is some coverage. We're lucky to get our scores in the paper, let alone an article. The same goes for the TV stations... not much coverages if you are outside of Fargo.

forum did a story about the lisbon vs. hankinson tilt (1 vs. 2) in the regular season.
rep

Postby Deacon16 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:06 pm

22bball22 wrote:
roughrider125 wrote:

i thought shanley got a lot of coverage for girl and boys bball this year.

Shanley gets 0 credit. When Shanley upset GF Central in hockey last season, the Grand Forks Herald had a huge article......The Fargo Forum Had a little blerb in there which was shorter than i am writing now.........PLUS IT WAS 4 DAYS LATER!!!!!!!!!
Deacon16
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fbinnd » Wed May 23, 2007 6:18 am

As newspapers go, you can usually tell the personalities of the writers that work there by what they cover.  It's pretty obvious the Forum sports department is full of guys who are unhappy they are stuck in North Dakota.  They fall all over themselves to write about the MN pro teams and Sioux hockey, and will only give a casual mention to their area.

The Jamestown Sun, on the other hand, has guys that are all about their area.  They do it the way it should be done.  Spreads on the Jimmies, the BlueJays, the area B teams, and the AP stories from the MN stuff.  They are probably capable of covering sports at the next level, and maybe thats their goal.   But while they are at the Sun, they're gonna cover what the Sun should cover.

Lost in all of this is the coverage that radio stations offer across the state.  Oakes, Lisbon, LaMoure, Valley City, Central Cass, Northern Cass, MPCG, Grafton, Cavalier, Rugby, Carrington, Langdon, Bottineau, Devils Lake, all pretty solid coverage throughout the year through local radio.  Wahpeton, Jamestown, Bowman, Dickinson, Minot, Williston, all good coverage.  In the long run, a lot of teams get coverage, but it may not be through print or through video.
fbinnd

Postby EDC » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:48 pm

fbinnd wrote:As newspapers go, you can usually tell the personalities of the writers that work there by what they cover.  It's pretty obvious the Forum sports department is full of guys who are unhappy they are stuck in North Dakota.  They fall all over themselves to write about the MN pro teams and Sioux hockey, and will only give a casual mention to their area.

The Jamestown Sun, on the other hand, has guys that are all about their area.  They do it the way it should be done.  Spreads on the Jimmies, the BlueJays, the area B teams, and the AP stories from the MN stuff.  They are probably capable of covering sports at the next level, and maybe thats their goal.   But while they are at the Sun, they're gonna cover what the Sun should cover.

Lost in all of this is the coverage that radio stations offer across the state.  Oakes, Lisbon, LaMoure, Valley City, Central Cass, Northern Cass, MPCG, Grafton, Cavalier, Rugby, Carrington, Langdon, Bottineau, Devils Lake, all pretty solid coverage throughout the year through local radio.  Wahpeton, Jamestown, Bowman, Dickinson, Minot, Williston, all good coverage.  In the long run, a lot of teams get coverage, but it may not be through print or through video.

I have to agree with most of what you say.  I would add all Moorhead sports to the list that the Forum gives more than their share of coverage.  For every one story about South, North, WF or Shanley you get more than two stories about Moorhead - maybe more in total amount of inches devoted to each school.  Maybe nobody wants to cover ND sports except the Jamestown Sun.  The Sun does a good job - especially with the BlueJay and Jimmie coverage.  They seem to care.

I wonder how much the lack of coverage hurts ND athletes in the perception that we don't have many DI players.  I for one think ND has many DI caliber players.  Many reasons why not too many sign with DI but I think the talent is there for more than 5 each year.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby always a sports season » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:13 pm

I agree that the Jamestown Sun does an excellent job of covering Class B - they even have articles about teams in the SE that the Forum should be covering. 

And I agree, many athletes in ND get overlooked because they don't get media coverage that gets listened to.  The athletes in smaller towns that have their own radio stations will get coverage that way but only local people listen to that so word doesn't spread very quickly to college coaches. 
always a sports season

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:30 pm

maybe its alreayd been said but i love the tribune and how they cover class B sports.  the B Spotlight is a good thing once a week with a nice article about a standout player/team in the area
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:38 am

As far as Bismarck, both radio and newspaper cover home games very well, but are terrible when it comes to road games. (I'm talking the local schools here)

Newspaper: Home game = full story. Road game = small story (if any) in the box score section (unless it is a really important game).

Radio: Home game = may be on the radio, depending on how many home games are in the area at the same time. Road game = rarely on the radio, even football playoff games can get ignored.  If a team plays at Wahpeton or Grand Forks in the first round, for it to not be on the radio somewhere is ridiculous.  If you can't travel there, rebroadcast that town's station like other places do.  The real problem is that there is only group of radio stations (Clear Channel) that do games. 

Dickinson:

Newspaper:Home games and road games get fairly equal coverage, as far as how the games are written up and presented on the sports page.

Radio:The advantage here is only two high schools, plus more than one station covering games, so most home and road football games get broadcast. Even if it is KDIX doing two games at once and flipping back and forth, they get covered. Basketball is a different story because of boys and girls playing in the same season, plus DAC games on the weekends,  so it is more difficult to cover it all but I give them credit for trying.

Both town's Clear Channel radio stations do a decent job covering various class B games throughout the year.  The Bismarck Tribune devotes a page every Thursday to class B stories during the school year. 
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:25 pm

I like how the bismarck tribune covers sports the teams who are usually good get coverage no really wants to read about how washburn is having a 12-8 season but then if you get lik standing rock or steele having a good year they get a stories it seems that if a good team plays shiloh they get a story the tribune kinds spreads it out nicely I think
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby da_man 23 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:11 am

Here is something interesting today...the bismarck tribune has whilhelm leads class a or sumting to that affect and in the dickinson paper, it has Kick leads class A to victory...and i gotta say with 18 and 12, Kick did lead them, but that just shows how each town is going to represent there player. they both did very well.
da_man 23

Re: Who Gets the Most Sports Coverage

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:24 am

I see the nights that the Fargo TV stations don't have a story on Moorhead Boys hockey now are being filled in by Moorhead Girls hockey sigh!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:05 am

all this is why the WWW is where it's at. I dont' care what Forum, Sun, KFYR TV, or KCJB radio are covering. If I want info on a team I go to the web. Most TV stations have web versions. I enjoy watching KX sports in Bismarck every Friday and Saturday. I check the Jamestown Sun each day and read the Ost blog. I don't rely on the just one source and I feel pretty happy with the availability of information. From this website, the Hoopster and all the www sources I can't complain.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:40 pm

The Fargo Forum devouts most of their space to the Bison. I think they have a contract deal with NDSU because WDAY channel 6, The Forum, and WDAY 970 are all owned by one comapany and get coverage rights. They all lead with what ever Bison teams played that night or day before.

Also, channel 4 and channel 11 in Fargo have the same sports announcer and all they coverage is exactly the same. Pretty boring.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Dackdude » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:34 pm

I think the west does a better job with smaller sports- i know that tennis, wrestling and golf have little coverage, although it is getting better
but i guess it has to be that way because those sports dont bring home the bacon with advertising
coolstufftodo.googlepages.com

Dackdude
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:05 am

thing about the east is they also have to cover MN towns/teams, and throw that in with the numbers it all gets watered down. given the wwww i'm pretty happy with sports coverage in general
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBAngel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:15 pm

There are communications / cable companies out there that broadcast local sports. I think Bektel Communications does this for local sports teams. I know in Grand Forks the school system has a channel on Midcontinent Cable GFSCHOOLSTV15 . Does anyone know if Fargo, or Bismarck has their own channels ?
BBAngel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Consolidated Cable in SouthWest North Dakota has been broadcasting local sports on its community access channel. They are not shown live, but later in the week. They basically are picking a team from one of their exchanges and then broadcasting it later. So far I've seen Dickinson High, Dickinson Trinity, Hettinger, Killdeer, Mott-Regent, New England and Scranton.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Here are a couple college conferences webcast sites

Northern Sun: http://www.northernsun.tv/

DAC: http://www.b2tv.com/upcoming_events.asp ... lue=dakota
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics