fourwinds

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby project-pat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:21 pm

crete00 wrote:When I was in HS we had a private school in our region that had two brothers on the team that were from Florida, FLORIDA!  Oh yeah they each happened to be in the 6'6" - 6'8" range.  But i suppose there are many high school students in Florida that dream of playing basketball in North Dakota.

You can't just assume that's recruiting, maybe their parents got a job here. I highly doubt that IF they do recruit, they would go all the way to florida to do it. Keep your recruiting allegations off here. If you want to say it, there's a topic in "Hot Topics"
project-pat

Postby beavof77 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:35 pm

There were alot of good comments made so far. Yes I do agree that private schools have an advantage because they are in a "big town" and can more or less "intice" local players to come there, but I wouldn't call it recruiting. I was not impressed with 4 winds at all. It's nice to see a town that back their team as much as 4 winds does but this proves that  A) 4 Winds is good but not great and B) any team can be beating on any given night in class B reguardless of rankings. Tony Ironheart didn't play the stand out game that was expected. He is a promising player who will most likely see time on a college level if he desires, but rumor has it he is up for Mr. Basketball? He's good but not that good. No disrespect Tony.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDdominator » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:49 pm

[user=1389]beavof77[/user] wrote:
There were alot of good comments made so far. Yes I do agree that private schools have an advantage because they are in a "big town" and can more or less "intice" local players to come there, but I wouldn't call it recruiting. I was not impressed with 4 winds at all. It's nice to see a town that back their team as much as 4 winds does but this proves that  A) 4 Winds is good but not great and B) any team can be beating on any given night in class B reguardless of rankings. Tony Ironheart didn't play the stand out game that was expected. He is a promising player who will most likely see time on a college level if he desires, but rumor has it he is up for Mr. Basketball? He's good but not that good. No disrespect Tony.

intice please give names and not false accusations until I hear names I won't agree w/ the argument about private schools...FW not impressed to say the least
NDdominator

Postby project-pat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:54 pm

If trinity really did "recruit" or "intice" players to come there, don't you think they would have players like Kick, Fridley, Bruschwein, or Jahner?
project-pat

Postby crete00 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:08 pm

project-pat wrote:
crete00 wrote:When I was in HS we had a private school in our region that had two brothers on the team that were from Florida, FLORIDA!  Oh yeah they each happened to be in the 6'6" - 6'8" range.  But i suppose there are many high school students in Florida that dream of playing basketball in North Dakota.

You can't just assume that's recruiting, maybe their parents got a job here. I highly doubt that IF they do recruit, they would go all the way to florida to do it. Keep your recruiting allegations off here. If you want to say it, there's a topic in "Hot Topics"

Thank you for the info project-pat, I will put further posts of my opinion on this matter there.
"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"

Theodore Roosevelt
crete00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beavof77 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:29 pm

I never said recruit or intice are the same. Most class B boys are proud of their school and feel that they can win there. I'm from Minot and have heard plenty of stories, so I assume theres some truth, where Bishop Ryan have "hinted" to kids that if you come to our school you will start or get so much playing time. That is straight from a parent of a player. There was a coaching change at Ryan when this happened and the kid never played. He went back to Minot High. I'm not agreeing with either side. I'm stating that things like that do happen, more often than relized. I believe Austin Vetter of Ryan was enrolled in Minot High before his freshman year than made a switch...?
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby crete00 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:03 pm

beavof77 wrote:I never said recruit or intice are the same. Most class B boys are proud of their school and feel that they can win there. I'm from Minot and have heard plenty of stories, so I assume theres some truth, where Bishop Ryan have "hinted" to kids that if you come to our school you will start or get so much playing time. That is straight from a parent of a player. There was a coaching change at Ryan when this happened and the kid never played. He went back to Minot High. I'm not agreeing with either side. I'm stating that things like that do happen, more often than relized. I believe Austin Vetter of Ryan was enrolled in Minot High before his freshman year than made a switch...?

Thank you beavof77!
"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"

Theodore Roosevelt
crete00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rumbles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:10 pm

Well like Trinity or not they know how to get it done when it counts the most its to bad though i pulling for FW
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Larrylegend33 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:36 pm

One more time on this recruiting business... you won't find a single kid on Trinity's roster that the Titans could be accused of "recruiting."

Trinity is 8 deep this year, and 7 of their top 8 have been in the Trinity school system from K-12.  Jordan Rising is the only player on the team who went to a public elementary school.  He has attended Trinity since grade 7.  He has two older brothers who attended Trinity grades 7-12 as well.  He attended a public elementary school for two main reasons - 1) his mom teaches there, and 2) he lives across the street from that school.   

Of course, Trinity would like as many students as possible to attend the school and pay tuition.  But Trinity does not recruit athletes, and they have done just fine with the athletes that have been in their system from the beginning.  You Trinity haters are going to have to find another argument.
Larrylegend33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:20 pm

If Trinity recruits, they need to do a better job, because Dickinson High is getting all the good players.

Trinity wins their games with defense. Two leading scorers average 12 points a game. If Trinity does recruit, they need to find a star, because this year's team has won most of its games by scores of 40-29.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SportsAreLife » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 pm

beavof77 wrote:I never said recruit or intice are the same. Most class B boys are proud of their school and feel that they can win there. I'm from Minot and have heard plenty of stories, so I assume theres some truth, where Bishop Ryan have "hinted" to kids that if you come to our school you will start or get so much playing time. That is straight from a parent of a player. There was a coaching change at Ryan when this happened and the kid never played. He went back to Minot High. I'm not agreeing with either side. I'm stating that things like that do happen, more often than relized. I believe Austin Vetter of Ryan was enrolled in Minot High before his freshman year than made a switch...?

Maybe his parents wanted him to recieve a catholic education or because his uncle and godfather(I believe) who is also Austin Vetter is a priest in dickinson or somewhere in the area. Just a theory.
SportsAreLife

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Wildcat wrote:If Trinity recruits, they need to do a better job, because Dickinson High is getting all the good players.

Trinity wins their games with defense. Two leading scorers average 12 points a game. If Trinity does recruit, they need to find a star, because this year's team has won most of its games by scores of 40-29.

final four.....sounds like the "scout" is doin alright to me?  held argueably the states best player to what about half of his average?
Last edited by baseball on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:38 pm

jetblue12 wrote:
OldmanBBall wrote:Anyone else not impressed with Ironheart?

didnt step up once when they needed him the most.  to bad for him, hes had a nice career.

agree 100%.....just loooked like another player out there...didnt do anything to say "hey, get me the ball so i can take over"
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby magichoops » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:54 am

Austin Vetter went to Junior high at Ryan and did consider going to Minot High for high school briefly. What an addition it would have been for Minot high to add Vetter alongside Elgie and Hornecker.
magichoops

Postby 5p1d3r » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:22 am

Austin Vetter from Ryan never was involved with Minot High. And Bishop Ryan doesn't "Hint" at players to come play for them. People come on their own free will, and they think that they will get more playing time. I have heard many non-starters  from public schools say that if they went to private schools they would easily play.
5p1d3r

Postby nativegolfer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:58 am

jetblue12 wrote:
whitemencanjump wrote:yeah i didnt watch the game can anyone fill me in

trin started hot and fw was lazy, had a 13? point lead in the 1st quarter.  didnt look back after that, with good shot selection and nice ball control.  fw looked very sloppy and flat footed on d.  trin deserved the win and got it...  fw had a couple runs but not enough...

FW cut the lead to 1 point so it's misleading to say they never looked back.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Hot Topics