Shanley

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby SWsportsfan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:53 am

What Shanley should have done three years ago is give Feeney a blank check and tell him to fill in the amount that he needed to stay. Then Shanley should have turned him into the next Sid Cichy and sent him out in the offseason to recruit. It would only have taken a year or two and Shanley would have been a power again. They made a huge mistake letting him go.

What should Shanley do now that Feeney's gone? They first of all need to find a good coach that is willing to stick around there for the long hall and build a program. If you look at the successful programs in the state you'll see that there is a great amount of communication between the coaches at the various levels. I'll use Trinity for an example. Gordon has his junior high and freshman coaches indoctrinating their kids with the Titan offensive and defensive schemes as soon as they put on the pads. That way you don't have to spend as much time on the basics. Shanley needs to get a program like this in place.

Secondly, why not recruit? I know they don't right now, but why don't they? It worked when Sid was there and it could work again. There are several good players from the surrounding areas that would love to play for the bigger crowds that you see in Fargo and they aren't that far away. There are probably 20-30 towns within a 30-mile radius of Fargo and the Shanley campus. Heck, give the kids a break in tuition if that will make the difference. Do some fundraising, talk to the bishop. Offer scholarships.

Of course there are several things that would have to fall in place for this to work. You would have to have an administration and an athletic director that would be willing to stand up to the criticsm that would like come from this sort of aggressive recruiting in eastern ND and western Minn. You would also have to have a Bishop, like they did back in the day, that was willing to help the school out on a financial level that it hasn't had to. I think Shanley could be a Class A power again if this kind of stuff happened.

This could of course apply to all the private schools in the state, Trinity, Shiloh, Trinity Christian, Minot Ryan, etc..
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roughrider125 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:17 am

SWsportsfan wrote:What Shanley should have done three years ago is give Feeney a blank check and tell him to fill in the amount that he needed to stay. Then Shanley should have turned him into the next Sid Cichy and sent him out in the offseason to recruit. It would only have taken a year or two and Shanley would have been a power again. They made a huge mistake letting him go.

What should Shanley do now that Feeney's gone? They first of all need to find a good coach that is willing to stick around there for the long hall and build a program. If you look at the successful programs in the state you'll see that there is a great amount of communication between the coaches at the various levels. I'll use Trinity for an example. Gordon has his junior high and freshman coaches indoctrinating their kids with the Titan offensive and defensive schemes as soon as they put on the pads. That way you don't have to spend as much time on the basics. Shanley needs to get a program like this in place.

Secondly, why not recruit? I know they don't right now, but why don't they? It worked when Sid was there and it could work again. There are several good players from the surrounding areas that would love to play for the bigger crowds that you see in Fargo and they aren't that far away. There are probably 20-30 towns within a 30-mile radius of Fargo and the Shanley campus. Heck, give the kids a break in tuition if that will make the difference. Do some fundraising, talk to the bishop. Offer scholarships.

Of course there are several things that would have to fall in place for this to work. You would have to have an administration and an athletic director that would be willing to stand up to the criticsm that would like come from this sort of aggressive recruiting in eastern ND and western Minn. You would also have to have a Bishop, like they did back in the day, that was willing to help the school out on a financial level that it hasn't had to. I think Shanley could be a Class A power again if this kind of stuff happened.

This could of course apply to all the private schools in the state, Trinity, Shiloh, Trinity Christian, Minot Ryan, etc..
agree, but it will never happen with the admin. they have now...it definitely helps to get Hammershmit out of there
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:05 pm

i've heard that they hired a new ad...does any1 know who it is?
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:22 am

[user=2474]roughrider125[/user] wrote:
i've heard that they hired a new ad...does any1 know who it is?

Randall Nelson has been named activities director for the Fargo Catholic Schools Network, including Fargo Shanley.
He will start June 1.

The last three years Nelson has been the head baseball coach and assistant football coach at Minot State University.

Nelson has also served two years as the athletic director at Our Redeemer’s Christian School in Minot. He coached at Minot Ryan for five years.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:00 am

Now that sounds like a great hire for Shanely.  Experience, a good back ground, and he has been involved with private schools previously.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:48 pm

i think laqua (sp?) will be named head football coach
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 pm

[user=996]shs01240[/user] wrote:

You have is spelled right, its pronounced Lockway. If he is named head coach I think they found a darn good one in my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:46 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=996]shs01240[/user] wrote:

You have is spelled right, its pronounced Lockway. If he is named head coach I think they found a darn good one in my opinion.

cough cough...cavalier bias...cough cough
rep

Postby ndfan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 pm

[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:

Your darn right its cavalier bias :) You have a problem with that? :)
Last edited by ndfan on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:

love the cavalier bias:D
rep

Postby ndfan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:10 pm

[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:
ndfan wrote:[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:

love the cavalier bias:D

But in all honesty, not being biased I do think this is a good coaching move by Shanley. Steve was a heck of an athlete, is smarter then heck, has been coached and coached with by some of the best coaches in the state. Some may say he doesn't have the experience, but hey ya gotta start somewhere. I hope he does get the job there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:51 am

I thought the AD and FB coach job went together?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 am

Wild Wolves wrote:I thought the AD and FB coach job went together?

Shanley has learned from experience that may not the best approach.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:30 am

Did Nelson help make that choice?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:46 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=74]Wild Wolves[/user] wrote:
Did Nelson help make that choice?
</span>

I don't think so. The administration hired Nelson solely for the AD job. Football coach and AD is too much to handle.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:17 am

Laqua is the new head coach there and former Cavalier head coach Rod Oksendahl will be a assistant to him at Shanley. Things could be on the rise for Shanley in the future.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby shs01240 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:30 am

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=20]ndfan[/user] wrote:
Laqua is the new head coach there and former Cavalier head coach Rod Oksendahl will be a assistant to him at Shanley. Things could be on the rise for Shanley in the future.
</span>

That is a HUGE boost for the Shanley program. The only knock on Laqua was that he had zero high school coaching experience. It looks like he took care of that problem by adding arguably the best high school football coach in the state to his staff. WOW, I didn't think the school had it in them.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Spoof_Team » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:25 pm

ndfan wrote:Laqua is the new head coach there and former Cavalier head coach Rod Oksendahl will be a assistant to him at Shanley. Things could be on the rise for Shanley in the future.

Shanley certainly did better than I expected vs. Minot. Maybe things will be better in a few years at Shanley. I know it's early and such judgments are usually best reserved for later in the season, but I think Laqua's going to do really well at Shanley. The trick will be to keep him away from another big public school with more $$$ to throw at him...
Spoof_Team
NDPreps Starter

Postby und52 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:17 am

Spoof_Team wrote:
ndfan wrote:Laqua is the new head coach there and former Cavalier head coach Rod Oksendahl will be a assistant to him at Shanley. Things could be on the rise for Shanley in the future.

Shanley certainly did better than I expected vs. Minot. Maybe things will be better in a few years at Shanley. I know it's early and such judgments are usually best reserved for later in the season, but I think Laqua's going to do really well at Shanley. The trick will be to keep him away from another big public school with more $$$ to throw at him...

shanley finally got thier first win and look pretty good against turtle mountains
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Vince Lombardi
und52
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Hot Topics