Travel Ball

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:48 am

What does everyone think about traveling basketball teams at the elementary/Jr. High level? Is it a big advantage to play on them and become a good player earlier, or does everyone just catch up anyway? Or, do you think it hinders a lot of kids because they burn out by the time they reach high school?

Also, I know travel ball is big in the eastern part of the state -- you could go to a tournament every weekend from December through April if you wanted. Is it as big in the western part of the state?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:19 am

i've always gotten the impression that traveling teams place more emphasis on just playing games than actually learning fundamentals and such, though i don't actually know anyone on a traveling team and can't confirm that.

it is probably a good thing for the kids just having competition and getting a chance to socialize.
Last edited by rep on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 pm

I actually got on a traveling team in 4th grade and would be no where close to where I am today had I not been on it. What you get out of a traveling team all depends on the coach(es) you have. If you have older, more mature coaches that know what they are talking about, then I'd recommend traveling basketball to anyone. If you have younger, more inexperienced coaches that are just doing it for the pay, or fun of it, it probably won't do anything for you.

Not only does it make you a better play but you also create some pretty friendly rivals along the way, just ask Cdub, haha.

Back-2-Back-2-Back-2-Back All-State Champs Cdub, haha.
Last edited by baller01 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:25 pm

baller01 wrote:I actually got on a traveling team in 4th grade and would be no where close to where I am today had I not been on it. What you get out of a traveling team all depends on the coach(es) you have. If you have older, more mature coaches that know what they are talking about, then I'd recommend traveling basketball to anyone. If you have younger, more inexperienced coaches that are just doing it for the pay, or fun of it, it probably won't do anything for you.

Not only does it make you a better play but you also create some pretty friendly rivals along the way, just ask Cdub, haha.

Back-2-Back-2-Back-2-Back All-State Champs Cdub, haha.
ya ur team did not ever lose

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Here is my take on traveling teams.  Every underclassmen who plays jv or varsity in the west (freshman and sophomore) played on a traveling team.  Thorton, Govig, and Jacobs were all on the same team along with Deyle and Joliffe who play jv.  The really good kids from Dickinson and that kid from Trinity play on jv or varsity.  All the sophomores from St. Mary's were on the same traveling teams.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:23 pm

competition alone helped when i played
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:20 pm

Another thing I forgot to say.  Jahner, Wheeling, Fridley, Baker, Schroedor all played on the Dickinson Wildcats.  I would have to check but I believe the team only lost 2 games in 6 years.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:36 pm

bismarck dominoes were amazing with all of the current bhs seniors and a few century players... also williston was always tough with qvale... dickinson wildcats were always the best though in my division
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:42 pm

balla45 wrote:Here is my take on traveling teams.  Every underclassmen who plays jv or varsity in the west (freshman and sophomore) played on a traveling team.  Thorton, Govig, and Jacobs were all on the same team along with Deyle and Joliffe who play jv.  The really good kids from Dickinson and that kid from Trinity play on jv or varsity.  All the sophomores from St. Mary's were on the same traveling teams.

Not all of them. Some of them were on the Bismarck Blaze, and some were on my team the Bismarck Tarheels.

For those of you that know the rivals that became over the past 4 years or so, look at the teams. Bismarck Blaze, Bismarck Rimrattlers, Bismarck Tarheels, and the Mandan Bulls. Them were the good 'ol days. Gotta love traveling basketball.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 pm

I forgot about Chuppe being on your team.  How many games did you team lose in your traveling team history.  I know won year my team was about 21-2 until we lost to the JamBoys by about 50.  Ismail grabbed my shot out of the air and laughed.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 pm

balla45 wrote:I forgot about Chuppe being on your team.  How many games did you team lose in your traveling team history.  I know won year my team was about 21-2 until we lost to the JamBoys by about 50.  Ismail grabbed my shot out of the air and laughed.

I'm not even sure. We were Tarheels from 6th, 7th, 8th. This past year we split and the St. Marys guys made there own team and I went with my school team. 4th grade and 5th grade we were the Bombers. My 4th grade year we didn't lose a game. Chuppe, Gunderson, Hovland, all them guys were on there. In 6th, 7th, and 8th I know we never lost more then 1 game in a 3 game tournament and we won Bismarck All-State 3 years in a row.

The Blaze consisted of like Gunderson, Hovland, Wirth. The Rimmrattlers consisted of like Pintar and Jacobson. The Mandan Bulls consisted of Mauer and Kist. And our team consisted of Chuppe and Schwab.
Last edited by baller01 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:34 am

My daughter has been doing travel ball for two years and although she's on a good team now that focuses on fundamentals and having fun, I see a lot of teams that have parents and coaches that are really intense and the focus seems to be on winning above all else. I feel bad for the kids, who at 10-years-old, experience that kind of intensity in basketball. My fear is that those kids, who could be great players one day, will not want to play anymore when they reach high school because they are so burnt out. I suppose it all depends on the coaches and the parents and the attitudes that they bring with them. Has anyone else seen really good players at the elementary level quit playing basketball when they reach high school because they were tired of it?
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:39 am

ClassBEast wrote:My daughter has been doing travel ball for two years and although she's on a good team now that focuses on fundamentals and having fun, I see a lot of teams that have parents and coaches that are really intense and the focus seems to be on winning above all else. I feel bad for the kids, who at 10-years-old, experience that kind of intensity in basketball. My fear is that those kids, who could be great players one day, will not want to play anymore when they reach high school because they are so burnt out. I suppose it all depends on the coaches and the parents and the attitudes that they bring with them. Has anyone else seen really good players at the elementary level quit playing basketball when they reach high school because they were tired of it?

Very good post....  Overall I think traveling teams are very good for kids to develop their skills.  The only bad part is if their coaches/parents are too intense and all they stress is winning.  Those kids get pushed way too hard and get turned off from the sport. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:57 am

I agree that it completely depends on the coaches.  If there is going to be work on fundamentals, then great, but I think that traveling teams also take away a lot from kids.  Kids, especially in grade school should have the opportunity to try new sports.  I think that traveling teams put too much emphasis on specialization.  I think that being involved in a variety of activities at a youner age can really benifit a student in high school.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:43 am

Baller wrote:I agree that it completely depends on the coaches.  If there is going to be work on fundamentals, then great, but I think that traveling teams also take away a lot from kids.  Kids, especially in grade school should have the opportunity to try new sports.  I think that traveling teams put too much emphasis on specialization.  I think that being involved in a variety of activities at a youner age can really benifit a student in high school.

I can speak from the school coaches point of view......when the teams are organized right...teach fundamentals...etc......they are a big help....I also know some good ballplayers that don't do traveling ball.....but just this year, at a middle school practice, as I watched, I heard a 7th grade girl tell her school coach that she was on a traveling team and that coach told her to do it "this" way and not the middle school coach's way.  She was very insistent that since she was on a traveling team, that the traveling way was better.  I have also gotten phone calls from parents upset that their child---who is on a traveling team---did not get put on a better or upper school team.  Too many times, traveling teams foster a belief in the parents and kids that they are now better than others.......Court time is important, but the traveling teams can really undermine a school's program and coaches if the coaches of the traveling teams aren't careful.  I love coaching, but the headaches alone from this attitude often make me wish that travelling ball didn't exist.......
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:39 am

It all depends on how you use it. There are teams that just use it as a goof off time, but the teams that take it seriously and go out and try to win, I think that is a big help. It gives you a chance to match up with some of your competition to prepare for the real season.
project-pat

Postby Roughrider » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:41 pm

I think travel ball is a good thing. i played on a team that went on many different trips and i believe that it helped me. i can see how you could say it would be bad though because some of the teams dont care and they are only there just to mess around.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby coachk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:48 pm

I agree with lovemy3.  another problem with traveling teams is  often it isn't  a team consisting of just kids from the school or school teammates.  Alot of teams are made up of pick the best players from the area.  Does it help develop a good high school team absolutely not.  Good high school teams practice together in the off season with their real teammates.  That is how they get the feel of how each other plays.  Traveling teams produce only individual talent mostly unless the team is a team made up of your school teammates.  Play with your regular teammates and you will be a better team.
coachk

Postby lotta bb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:06 am

coachk wrote:I agree with lovemy3.  another problem with traveling teams is  often it isn't  a team consisting of just kids from the school or school teammates.  Alot of teams are made up of pick the best players from the area.  Does it help develop a good high school team absolutely not.  Good high school teams practice together in the off season with their real teammates.  That is how they get the feel of how each other plays.  Traveling teams produce only individual talent mostly unless the team is a team made up of your school teammates.  Play with your regular teammates and you will be a better team.

I agree with your point about playing with your regular school team in the off-season to make your team better, but traveling teams can fill a void if you can't get some of the guys on your regular team to play in the off-season. Some players are just not motivated enough to put the time in to get better. So-- if handled right, the traveling team can be a real help to those that want to take advantage of the situation. But once again, it is definetly better to play with your own team in the off season.
lotta bb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:48 am

Traveling ball is a good thing for kids to get more exposure to other schools or athetes in other areas of the state.  Going to these tournament with better competition will only make your program stronger.  If you keep playing these weaker teams in the local community, you can't really get better. 

I have had the oprititunity to tag along with a freshman team and tell you what, these boys have come along way since their first B squad game, they play against teams normally they would not play against, and it is a good gage!  So I think that traveling ball is a good thing:thanx:
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby AandBfan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:27 am

Playing on a traveling team helped me a lot. Getting to play against bigger and better competition motivated me to work hard and improve my game. You get to play against teams you don't play all the time, and see some different styles of ball. I think traveling ball is a good thing.
Last edited by AandBfan on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AandBfan

Postby always a sports season » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 pm

I'm thankful for traveling teams for those good athletes that need the competition and who are in school districts with weak school basketball programs.
always a sports season

Postby Biff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:49 pm

The worst thing about travel basketball is that a dad coaches the team.  All of a sudden we have a bunch of stupid dads out there that think that they can coach.  Players questioning coaches, because that's not how they did it in optimist.  Parents questioning why a zone won't work - it worked in optimist in 5th grade when no boy was strong enough to hit the rim.  Travel basketball is hurting high school basketball.  They practice for a day then get to go play in 5 or 6 games.  Now practice is becoming a pain to players.  They don't need to practice everyday, they won every optimist tournament when they only practiced the day before. 

I do however believe that if an optimist coach teaches the basic fundamentals, it could be a very positive thing.

My question?  Why has travel teams completely overrun the individual camps.  All of a sudden players don't need to improve individually but only as a team.  I don't agree with that.  Team concept is great, but that's for the season.  In the offseason, each player needs to improve their individual skills.

Biff
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:50 am

Biff, I am going to have to disagree with you, Travelling Ball is nothing but good for a team.  I mean have you gone to some of these tournaments?  Most teams are coached by a good coach.  Take for instance the Jam Boyz, they are not coached by a dad or anything like that, this is a guy who wants to build a solid program.  This is basketball after HS basketball is over!  This gets the Athlete more exposure to other teams he wouldn't normally play over the course of the year, and it is more challenging.  You must be talking about 3-5 grade travel ball!  But even those are being coached by some talented coachs trying to build a solid program, keeping the boys together throughout all grades. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 pm

i have to agree with i.a. on this one almost all of the best players every year played on traveling teams thinking about it i can't even name one who started on a varsity team before their senior year who didn't play on one

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Hot Topics