Dickinson Trinity - 7 Region TItles in a Row

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bbjay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:40 am

Yeah, people will use it as an excuse if they lose to a private school, I don't doubt that, but they're not looking for pity....at least I don't think so.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby daveinnd » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:40 am

ND_Fan wrote:
bbjay wrote:I don't think anybody ever mentions recruiting and is serious about it with private schools, but it's funny how defensive people from those schools get.  They have an advantage because they reside in larger towns, that's a fact.  You see it year after year in that these schools are always in contention to go to state.

Not really buddy. Sorry to tell you this but Trinity basketball has only been good for the last nine years. Before they they hadnt even made it to a regional title game in the 20 years before that. Their success has only come recently in the past 8 or 9 years. Where was the "pulling athletes from a larger talent pool" before the last ten years? Dickinson was just as big 20 years ago as it is now, so how come they only have been good recently? And NO it is not because of recruiting, it is because of their coaching staff. Grinnsteinner has surrounded himself with great coaches year after year. He inspires his kids to play hard and work even harder in the offseason. Grinsteinner is the COTY in my book!

Digging through some old Hoopster Basketball previews. Trinity's first year in class B was 1991-1992 and they were 15-8.  Second year they were 11-12.  I quit buying the hoopster after that,  but the 3rd year the Hoopster predicted them to finish 9th out of a 12 team district.  Be interested to see how they did the next few years and also when they got their first football championship.
daveinnd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbjay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 am

daveinnd wrote:
ND_Fan wrote:
bbjay wrote:I don't think anybody ever mentions recruiting and is serious about it with private schools, but it's funny how defensive people from those schools get.  They have an advantage because they reside in larger towns, that's a fact.  You see it year after year in that these schools are always in contention to go to state.

Not really buddy. Sorry to tell you this but Trinity basketball has only been good for the last nine years. Before they they hadnt even made it to a regional title game in the 20 years before that. Their success has only come recently in the past 8 or 9 years. Where was the "pulling athletes from a larger talent pool" before the last ten years? Dickinson was just as big 20 years ago as it is now, so how come they only have been good recently? And NO it is not because of recruiting, it is because of their coaching staff. Grinnsteinner has surrounded himself with great coaches year after year. He inspires his kids to play hard and work even harder in the offseason. Grinsteinner is the COTY in my book!

Digging through some old Hoopster Basketball previews. Trinity's first year in class B was 1991-1992 and they were 15-8.  Second year they were 11-12.  I quit buying the hoopster after that,  but the 3rd year the Hoopster predicted them to finish 9th out of a 12 team district.  Be interested to see how they did the next few years and also when they got their first football championship.
If they've been playing basketball at a varsity level since only 1991 and have 7 or 8 region titles....there's definately an advantage.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby crossover » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 am

thats just the way i understand it as.  because they say "oh were not going to win" and then they dont they say theyre at a disadvantage. IMO
Last edited by crossover on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
crossover
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:43 am

All right here goes.

Private schools have to recruit at some level in order to sustain operations.  And they should, this means they need to get students into seats in order to raise funds to operate.  They should cap enrollment so that they can provide a quality education rather than just housing students and moving them from grade to grade.  It is smart, but I don't know that any private school in ND is in a postition to do this or does it.

The size of the town matters.  Quality coaches and teachers generally want to be in larger areas, this does not mean that small towns don't have great teachers (they do).  It means that a good coaches will move onto class A size towns.  How often do you hear about a successful class A coach taking a job at a class B school.  It doesn't happen.  With that being said, Trinity, Shiloh, and Shanely all have very good coaches who have a wealth of expetrience and deserve some of the credit for any success.

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bbjay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 am

If any team goes into a game thinking they're not going to win...they won't.  I do think that people already have their excuses lined up before the game even starts, and it's mostly the fans, not the coaches and players.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby crossover » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:46 am

im not blaming coaches or players as youve probably noticed this site is mostly the fans that love the game (yeah their is players and coaches that check these sites) but its mostly the die hards who cheer their heart out every game.
Last edited by crossover on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
crossover
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbjay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:54 am

I know, was just saying that so people didn't think that's what I was implying
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fruit snack » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:56 am

do they pay there players
fruit snack

Postby Watcher 007 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:59 am

freak722 wrote:
Watcher 007 wrote:It isn't because they have a bunch of good years that people think they should be Class A. It is because these schools are located in a large population where they can recruit kids from a Class A school and turn away kids that they don't want. That is the problem. Every school in a Large Town that has a Class A school in it, should be Class A. They should bump their enrollment up and make it fair for everyone.

Name someone Trinity has recruited from dickinson high, name someone they turned away......THEY NEED KIDS, THEY WANT MORE KIDS TO KEEP THAT SCHOOL GOING.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT TRINITY MIGHT NOT BE AROUND IN A FEW YEARS IF THEIR ENROLLMENT KEEPS DECREASING LIKE IT IS. STOP WHINING. GIVE FULL CREDIT WHERE FULL CREDIT IS DUE.

Their enrollment is going down because they turn away the kids they don't want. If they are not stars, they don't take them so that helps keep the enrollments down. Think about it. Nice try on that they won't have kids.
Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jwall512 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:08 am

[user=2600]crossover[/user] wrote:
Jwall512 wrote:TRINITY SHOULD BE CLASS A NO DOUBT IN MY MIND IF THEY HAVE WON 7 REGION TITLES IN A ROW THEY SHOULD GO CLASS A. AALONG WITH RYAN AND SHILOH AND OAK GROVE
why is it when a schools has a good program right away people want to move them to class A.  get a better arguement.  Its on thing to have a good program it is a hole different thing to win 7 region titles in a row that right there in my mind should ut them in class A
Stupid is as Stupid does

-Forrest Gump
Jwall512
NDPreps Starter

Postby SWND_FAN » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:20 am

Trinity...for fact...has never EVER turned ANYONE away from attending...nomatter what...I, personally, am a trinity fan and am very jealous of the success due to hard work  congrats!! goodluck at state! represent reg. 7 well....all u recruitment theorists...get over your crybaby excuses...face the fact that in order to succeed..i guess you'l just have to work a little harder.
"You Gonna Eat That Stapler?"
-Peter Griffin
SWND_FAN
NDPreps Rookie

Postby freak722 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:28 am

fruit snack wrote:
freak722 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
freak722 wrote:
Watcher 007 wrote:It isn't because they have a bunch of good years that people think they should be Class A. It is because these schools are located in a large population where they can recruit kids from a Class A school and turn away kids that they don't want. That is the problem. Every school in a Large Town that has a Class A school in it, should be Class A. They should bump their enrollment up and make it fair for everyone.

Name someone Trinity has recruited from dickinson high, name someone they turned away......THEY NEED KIDS, THEY WANT MORE KIDS TO KEEP THAT SCHOOL GOING.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT TRINITY MIGHT NOT BE AROUND IN A FEW YEARS IF THEIR ENROLLMENT KEEPS DECREASING LIKE IT IS. STOP WHINING. GIVE FULL CREDIT WHERE FULL CREDIT IS DUE.

r u trying to intimidate people with that tuff looking pic
no, does it intimidate u fruit snack boy

no hahahahaha.....it was a joke, trying to give u a hint cause it looks like my little sister with pads and a helmet on

Haha.....okay, well ill change it to someone a little more manly then
freak722
NDPreps Reserve

Postby freak722 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:48 am

Watcher 007 wrote:
freak722 wrote:

Their enrollment is going down because they turn away the kids they don't want. If they are not stars, they don't take them so that helps keep the enrollments down. Think about it. Nice try on that they won't have kids.

I just laughed out loud. You are totally clueless. How do u know what their financial situation is? Or that they turn away kids?Tell me how u know these things.
freak722
NDPreps Reserve

Postby grizz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:52 am

freak722 wrote:
Watcher 007 wrote:
freak722 wrote:

I just laughed out loud. You are totally clueless. How do u know what their financial situation is? Or that they turn away kids?Tell me how u know these things.

Most people on here don't know anything about Trinity's situation, so they just make up things or post stuff that they hear about from teams who were beat by Trinity.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:38 pm

grizz wrote:
freak722 wrote:
Watcher 007 wrote:
freak722 wrote:

Most people on here don't know anything about Trinity's situation, so they just make up things or post stuff that they hear about from teams who were beat by Trinity.

I personally think it's just a lame excuse for not being able to beat them. If you can't beat them, you don't have to go around spreading rumors and ruining their reputation. Instead, spend that time trying to improve so you can beat them the next time.
project-pat

Postby unc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Im just gonna congradulate them on all of their success. They have had a good year a couple ups and downs but when it matters they always get the job done. Good luck to them at state
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:08 pm

What do I think of seven straight regional titles...It's GREAT!!!  We'll work hard to make it eight straight.....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Edward III » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:41 pm

New guy here. I did a little research on Trinty's web page and it looks like they would win a lot of classroom games as well as on the court. If ACT scores and athletic success are at all involved with each other then the debate is over why they win alot. I have heard of the recruiting but have not seen it show in their roster. As for that I heard that 2 girls that start for the Midgets were from Trinity. Trinity's enrollment is 172 9-12 according to the web site. Class A is 325. If the tuition at Trinity is $1000 (a guess-I do not know) then that means they would loose $153,000 this year by limiting enrollment. I have been reading this stuff for so long and decided to find out myself. It took about 45 seconds. I  suggest some of you do the same before spouting thing you know very  little about. I am impartial in this matter but had enough bashing. 
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbjay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:49 pm

172 is way above average for a class B school.  So they're not that small.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Edward III » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:54 pm

Point being that why would they limit their enrollment so far under the class A limit. Besides with all the co-oping going on- 172 is semi average. Research some numbers as one of my other points.
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Region 8 Fan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:33 pm

bbjay wrote:I didn't say anything about enrollment......take a city that is 40,000 versus one that is 2,000 and it's quite a difference.  The "on the fence players" that maybe won't play much on a class A team, simply go to a smaller school (Ryan) and start.  Those on the fence players are usually better than most average players from small schools, hence the advantage.  Having a larger enrollment doesn't necessarily make you the best....more than likely it means that you can field a decent team with a JV and possible a C team as well.  I don't think these schools recruit, I think certain kids seek these schools out for a variety of reasons including sports.

i agree with you bbjay on all of your posts. the private schools never want to talk about the large number of students they have to pick from. there should never be  class B school in a class A town. it has already hurt the class B tradition and if it continues it will ruin class B altogether. the NDHSAA better wake up!
Region 8 Fan

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:38 pm

ND_Fan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
freak722 wrote:

Give me a break.....Trinity has more kids 9-12 than a lot of schools have TOTAL K-12. 

NO THEY DON'T. Provide some statistics...

Trinity's 9-12 enrollment this year - 173....the last two schools that I have taught and coached at have a total K-12 enrollment of 172 and 186 respectively and neither are cooped with another school.  There are quite a few schools that are cooped that together they don't even have 175 total K-12 enrollment. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Here's some more stats for ya....

Total 9-12 male enrollment of Trinity is 104 and Dickinson High is 493

The school I graduated from and the last two schools I have taught at have 9-12 male enrollments of 40, 29, and 37.  None are involved in a coop.  All three are average sized towns, too.  There are many smaller and some larger.

Don't try to tell me Trinity doesn't have more of a population to draw basketball players from.  Step out of the bigger cities and come out to rural North Dakota and see what it's like before throwing out your opinions...
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Edward III wrote:Point being that why would they limit their enrollment so far under the class A limit. Besides with all the co-oping going on- 172 is semi average. Research some numbers as one of my other points.

Most of the schools that coop have 75-125 enrollment for 9-12 together.  I don't know of any schools that coop and have 175 kids together 9-12.  That would be almost 90 kids 9-12 in each school.  There is no need to coop with that number.  Schools don't coop because its a choice....they do it as a necessity for one or both of them to survive.
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics