Dickinson Trinity - 7 Region TItles in a Row

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby SWsportsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:19 am

nativegolfer wrote:
Weezy Baby wrote:
SWsportsfan wrote:OK, as a Trinity grad ans supporter I've heard all the rumors in the past and I just wanted to add my two cents on each of them.

Recruitment - They don't, they should, but they don't. I grew up 30 miles from Dickinson and my parents chose to send us to school there because they wanted to give us a Catholic education. Randy Gordon didn't come out while I was in utero and tell my parents that they wanted me to play football for the Titans. I went to a Catholic grade school from K-6 and the Trinity 7-12 like probably 95% of Trinity's athletes.

It's my personal belief that Trinity should institute an aggressive recruitment program that the diocese helps them out with. Trinity is great academically, look at their test scores year to year and the number of kids they have graduating with honors and you'll realize that people are sending their kids to Trinity for more than just athletics. The coaches aren't just great coaches, they are great teachers. Greg Grinsteinner is hands down the best math teacher I have ever had, at any level, college included. Fargo Shanley's late-great football coach Sid Cichy recruited based on Shanley's academics and I believe Trinity should to.

Capping enrollment - The most ridiculous charge that is leveled againest Trinity. If they were going to cap enrollment to stay at the Class B level why not cap it closer to the cut off and maximize revenue. I'm sure there are some consiracy theorists that would claim that the reason they keep it so low is because then it doesn't look suspicious. I'm telling you right now that is not the case.

Trinity fights tooth and nail for every student it gets and would open its doors to anyone that wants to come to school there.

Economically, it makes no sense for them to do this because they can't stay open without tuition. The more students they have going to school there the more revenue they have and the further in the black they are, something I can assure you they wish they were.

Drawing from the bigger talent pool - It's hard to argue for or againest this claim because or certain factors. Yes, Dickinson is bigger than many of the other communities that Trinity competes againest, but with co-ops and the fact that the majority of the kids are in the Trinity system from day one decreases the strength of the arguement.

I'm tired. I hope this sheds some light for some people.

AMEN!

jealousy is the number one cause of trinity hate.
You know in the big cities tnere are separate parochial/catholic leagues that were started because those schools have the unfair advantage of "recruiting".  Obviously, ND can't do that because of the number of schools so those schools should be moved to Class A where they belong.  It may take a few years but most of them could easily adjust. 

I might agree with this if Trinity did in fact recruit, but the fact is they don't. Also you can't punish a school for success. Saying that because Trinity has been successful they should be moved up a class is like saying that Napolean should be moved up because of their success in Wrestling. Once you do it with one team you are on a very slippery slope.
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians are #1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:35 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
freak722 wrote:
Watcher 007 wrote:It isn't because they have a bunch of good years that people think they should be Class A. It is because these schools are located in a large population where they can recruit kids from a Class A school and turn away kids that they don't want. That is the problem. Every school in a Large Town that has a Class A school in it, should be Class A. They should bump their enrollment up and make it fair for everyone.

Name someone Trinity has recruited from dickinson high, name someone they turned away......THEY NEED KIDS, THEY WANT MORE KIDS TO KEEP THAT SCHOOL GOING.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT TRINITY MIGHT NOT BE AROUND IN A FEW YEARS IF THEIR ENROLLMENT KEEPS DECREASING LIKE IT IS. STOP WHINING. GIVE FULL CREDIT WHERE FULL CREDIT IS DUE.

Give me a break.....Trinity has more kids 9-12 than a lot of schools have TOTAL K-12. 

that is right and they cap there enrollment
Indians are #1

Postby SWsportsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:49 am

Indians are #1 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
freak722 wrote:
Watcher 007 wrote:It isn't because they have a bunch of good years that people think they should be Class A. It is because these schools are located in a large population where they can recruit kids from a Class A school and turn away kids that they don't want. That is the problem. Every school in a Large Town that has a Class A school in it, should be Class A. They should bump their enrollment up and make it fair for everyone.

Name someone Trinity has recruited from dickinson high, name someone they turned away......THEY NEED KIDS, THEY WANT MORE KIDS TO KEEP THAT SCHOOL GOING.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT TRINITY MIGHT NOT BE AROUND IN A FEW YEARS IF THEIR ENROLLMENT KEEPS DECREASING LIKE IT IS. STOP WHINING. GIVE FULL CREDIT WHERE FULL CREDIT IS DUE.

Give me a break.....Trinity has more kids 9-12 than a lot of schools have TOTAL K-12. 

that is right and they cap there enrollment

I thought I already went through this. They don't cap their enrollment. That would be suicide for the school. They need as many kids as they can get at that school.

And it is true, Trinity needs a certain number of kids to keep their doors open. After all, you can only raise tution so much. In the long run it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. If you have fewer kids you raise tuition, if you raise tuition fewer people can afford to send their kids there. Please stop with this capping enrollment garbage.

But we've strayed way off topic here. Congratulations to the Titans on their seven in a row.
Last edited by SWsportsfan on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:17 am

I can name kids that left Trinity to go to Dickinson High while they were in Junior High and High School... I can't think of a single person (I could be wrong) that has done the opposite... If someone can give me an example of this it would be appreciated. Because until that happens the recruiting talk really needs to go out the window...

What it comes down to with Trinity is that they get their best athletes out for ALL SPORTS! Growing up in SW North Dakota and now being in Nebraska and having a significant other who is from Kansas has given me a window to High School athletics in 3 different states. Half the basketball team in my town in Nebraska doesn't even play football and most would not only start but be some of the best players on the team it is the same way in Kansas.

We don't see this as much in North Dakota as in other states because kids don't have much to do in the small towns and play sports because of this... but I use the Belfield-South Heart football co-op for an example to make my argument... South Heart has a competitive basketball team year in and year out but when I was in the area growing up those good athletes on the South Heart basketball team rarely played football and when they did the BSH team was in contention for the playoffs....

Trinity gets their best players out for all the sports and has an attitude that doing this will only make for a better competition within the team and stronger teams when it comes to performing against other programs.

What I'm saying is that some of these kids who play just basketball or just football are really doing themselves a disservice... A kid might be a great basketball player but he's going to be a softer less physical all around player then a kid who is a great basketball player and an average football player because that second kid isn't going to be afraid of contact and will have a little more fire in his belly because he understands a little bit better what it takes to get over that hump because he's had to win a position on the football team...

"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

cdub1 wrote:
scruffy wrote:Now the rumor going around is that Robbie Morrey transferred in from Watertown South Dakota.  Thats what a Hazen parent told some people from Glen Ullin...  By the way lets get back to the topic that was first started when someone asked what he thought about Trinity winning its 8th regional title in nine years.  ISN'T IT AWESOME!

that is a lie i have seen morey play since he was in 4th grade

This is similar to the rumor that was spread about Kyle Steffes his senior year about how Trinity had went and recruited him from the Twin Cities... Truth be told both of his parents were born and raised in Dickinson... people need to get lives
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby boysbballfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:37 am

There is a great article in the dickinson press about why there is no need for the 3 class system and that the private schools are just fine in class B basketball.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/account/index.cfm?user=login&return_page=http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/articles/index.cfm?id=9881&section=sports
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wrestler » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:13 am

boysbballfan wrote:There is a great article in the dickinson press about why there is no need for the 3 class system and that the private schools are just fine in class B basketball.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/account/index.cfm?user=login&return_page=http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/articles/index.cfm?id=9881&section=sports

The argument about 4 larger schools and 4 smaller schools, is that valid.  Help me class B fans, but who are the 4 smaller schools, and do they have any of the larger schools in their region that could have beaten them out.
Last edited by Wrestler on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:04 am

The small schols in the tournament would be Hankinson, Barnes County North, Shiloh Christian and Parshall.  They all have 100 or fewer kids in their school...  I don't know much about the other schools in their regions...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby IceCold_Football » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:00 pm

ok well if trinity caps there enrollment and stuff y did they co-op with new england high in football this year that just gives them more people to add on to there enrollment and they only got 9 football players for the grades 10-12 now comon trinity will take all the people they can get and if they have to move up in a class i dont think they will care and further more goin to school there is not free acording to some of the rourmors goin around each kid has to pay over a 2000 dollar enrollment fee
IceCold_Football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Weezy Baby » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:51 pm

who cares this is all garbage anyways. no1 is ever going to change their mind, they either know the truth, dont know the truth, or know the truth but hate trinity so they act like they have no idea so they can be mad when they loose. ya thats right.
Weezy Baby

Postby IceCold_Football » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:03 pm

yes they do hate trinity that y the bring up rumors sayin trinity recruits and caps their enrollment
IceCold_Football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Trinity is an excellent all around team. To win 7 region championships in a row that is something else. All this other stuff about they should move up to class A and they keep their enrollment down, that is all a bunch of garbage. I am really getting tired of hearing all that stuff. They have won seven championships in a row because they are a great team, they have a great coaching staff. The only recruiting they do is by having great tradition, that attracts kids to go to trinity. Just take a look at this year, they werent supposed to be as tough as they normally are, they were picked i think 4th in the region, but look where they ended up. There has to be a lot credit that should be given to the coaching staff at DT. I believe that Coach Gregg Grinsteiner is the best coach in the state. Im not from Trinity or from Dickinson either. I am from the region though and i have watched that team for a couple years. Grinsteiner has got them kids so well disciplined that if they want to work the ball around for and entire quarter just to get one shot they will. I give a congrats to Trinity and to the coaching staff for a good year. Im sure they will make another run next year.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cheesewheel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:59 pm

I am currently attending Trinity High School and would like to saw a few things in response to those people who "bash" the Titans.

We do not recruit. Nobody, absolutely nobody on NDPreps has given a name for who we have recruited. So obviously it is not true. Unless you can provide a name, whether you know that the person was recruited, or just heard it from somebody, please stop using this excuse as a reason for our run of dominance in these past years.

We do not cap our enrollment. If that was the case, we would have much more kids than we do now. Also, our enrollment would not be declining the way it is right now. I understand that we are bigger than quite a few class B schools, but we are far from the largest. And we are well below the cutoff for class A. I guarantee you that if you would like to move to Dickinson and enroll at Trinity, you would be accepted with open arms. This is also not a good excuse to use.

For those of you who have told us to quit "whining", for the lack of a better word, about how our enrollment is dropping and we may soon close. We have already had to shut down one of our elementary schools because of this. Yes, many schools are out in rural North Dakota areas with far less numbers than we have, but remember, they are also run on government money. Our tuition this year was $2430. With our declining enrollment, this increases every year, which makes people leave our school and increase the tuition even more. Not many people are willing to pay this much for an education.

Our teachers and coaches are not paid more here. Public school teachers have an average base salary of $24,100 per year, this is for a new teacher. Currently, ours is at $16,000. I am reading this all off of a sheet that came straight from our school. Please tell me why someone would rather work for this pay if it was not for their love of education. And especially not just to play sports.

For those of you who say we draw from a larger talent pool because we are in Dickinson. This is a hard one to debate. Yes, we are one of the larger towns in North Dakota. But that does not mean we are drawing in amazing athletes for all of our sports. People send their kids to this school and sacrifice $2500 a year to do it. Is this because of sports, no, it is because they want their child to receive a religious education. So our talent pool is really no greater than any other towns. We may get more numbers, but this is more religious than athletic.

We have tradition. We started winning and just don't stop. We bring our kids up in the program, they don't want to let it down. Our coaches are phenomenal. They get us to buy into the system. They know what they are doing. The kids are all coachable. We listen, we work as a team. We do what it takes.

Our athletes are not head and shoulders more talented than the rest of the state. I would say our athletes are for the most part average. There aren't a whole lot of standouts right now. But, our athletes are some of the most dedicated athletes you will find in this state. Whether it is lifting in the weight room, practicing for basketball, joining the Acceleration Program in the summer, or going to camps. The fact is we have people who dedicate their lives to get better and have the chance at winning. If you want to beat us, work harder than us. Dedicate all of your free time to getting better. Have the desire.

I guarantee you our basketball team did not make it this far in state because they were all phenomenal players. Tyler Barth is not a basketball player, but he worked as part of the team and contributed. Parker Pladson is not a basketball player, he didn't even go out for basketball the last 3 years. But he worked his butt off this year and contributed to the team. These are just 2 of the players I could talk about, they are by no means bad players. I am just saying that they are not pure basketball players. They contributed amazingly to our team. Plain and simple, we work together as a team rediculously well and have amazing coaches who get us to that point.

Whether you love us, hate us, don't like private schools, don't like Catholics, whatever your thing is, you can't deny what we have done. I understand people will continue to make excuses, but hopefully some of you can understand us and just respect what we have done. Because the excuses are just fueling our desire to win. So if you want us to continue to win. Bash us, we want to prove you wrong, it's what we thrive on.

cheesewheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby over the hill » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:58 pm

well said, amen to this topic!!!
over the hill
NDPreps Rookie

Postby project-pat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:07 pm

over the hill wrote:well said, amen to this topic!!!

it actually was pretty much amen'ed before that comment.
project-pat

Postby Brady Langan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:12 pm

I think they can keep winning championship games as long as they keep the same coaching staff and continue to have talented football players
Brady Langan

Postby Weezy Baby » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:35 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
freak722 wrote:

haha ok looks like you dont know your facts.... its true. THS doesnt have very many kids.. 170? not alot.
Weezy Baby

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:24 pm

Weezy Baby wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
freak722 wrote:

haha ok looks like you dont know your facts.... its true. THS doesnt have very many kids.. 170? not alot.

they may only have 170 but i dont think that is cause for concern, i mean look at where they are. there are 17000 people in dickinson so i dont think they have to worry about it closing down
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:16 pm

Weezy Baby wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
freak722 wrote:

170 is alot and that is more than many schools look it up and get the facts straight.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 am

Well put Cheesewheel!  I hope they continue to talk and whine about us because nobody complains about average teams!  If the complaining and whining continue, that only means Trinity is continuing to win.  Remember no one is jealous of mediocrity and those that are jealous rarely give respect to those who deserve it.  Instead they continue to look for "reasons" why things don't  go their way...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Roughrider » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:56 am

scruffy wrote:Well put Cheesewheel!  I hope they continue to talk and whine about us because nobody complains about average teams!  If the complaining and whining continue, that only means Trinity is continuing to win.  Remember no one is jealous of mediocrity and those that are jealous rarely give respect to those who deserve it.  Instead they continue to look for "reasons" why things don't  go their way...

agreed, people that complain about other teams usually complain about them being so good. They are just mad because their team cant beat them. i was actually one of those people a while back but then i came to my senses and realized that they should be given a lot of credit. Grinnsteiner has built an excellent program and a very good tradition at Trinity. As long as Grinnsteiner is still there. expect trinity to be winning.
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Hot Topics