Dickinson Trinity - 7 Region TItles in a Row

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 am

Now the rumor going around is that Robbie Morrey transferred in from Watertown South Dakota.  Thats what a Hazen parent told some people from Glen Ullin...  By the way lets get back to the topic that was first started when someone asked what he thought about Trinity winning its 8th regional title in nine years.  ISN'T IT AWESOME!
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:36 pm

scruffy wrote:Now the rumor going around is that Robbie Morrey transferred in from Watertown South Dakota.  Thats what a Hazen parent told some people from Glen Ullin...  By the way lets get back to the topic that was first started when someone asked what he thought about Trinity winning its 8th regional title in nine years.  ISN'T IT AWESOME!

WOW...the lengths that ppl go to to ruin a school's reputation.
project-pat

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Last edited by brownbomber on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:41 pm

The Schwab wrote:I wasnt trying to be the boss of the forum....i was just wondering if anyone else there has an opinon on this that isnt from trinity.....holy crap chill out.

im not from trinity and ive been saying stuff bout this topic
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:42 pm

scruffy wrote:Now the rumor going around is that Robbie Morrey transferred in from Watertown South Dakota.  Thats what a Hazen parent told some people from Glen Ullin...  By the way lets get back to the topic that was first started when someone asked what he thought about Trinity winning its 8th regional title in nine years.  ISN'T IT AWESOME!

ive knwo the kid since 1st grade
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:42 pm

ive known the kid since 1st grade
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby lutzey_14 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Trinity doesn't turn down students to stay under the cap. They would be happy to have many more kids there to keep the school running.
lutzey_14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hoser94 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:16 pm

At trinity tradion doesnt graduate

hoser94

Postby hoser94 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:17 pm

roobie didnt transfer

hoser94

Postby grizz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:25 pm

hoser94 wrote:At trinity tradion doesnt graduate

Thats a nice post right there.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby carolina blue » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:12 pm

ok everybody go way back to 1997ish when robbie's brother brian played for trinity. robbie must have been like 4 or 5. so im gonna have to say NO to the question about robbie transferring from watertown, SD
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:15 pm

that is a lie i have seen morey play since he was in 4th grade

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby grizz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Yeah scruffy knows this too, its just he was bringing up the point about the rumors people make about Trinity.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Jeez...I think that goes a little too far when you have to spread a silly rumor such as that just because you can't beat a team. I'm guessing somebody from Hazen started that just because they were losing the championship.
Last edited by project-pat on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby grizz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Haha your right
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby carolina blue » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:01 pm

ok i stand corrected. robbies brother's, brian and mike, played at trinity. their parents also graduated from trinity.
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:06 pm

grizz wrote:

Haha your right

haha I didn't even see that when i posted.
project-pat

Postby NDSUbison! » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:46 pm

hoser94 wrote:At trinity tradion doesnt graduate

once again dont post until your at least in jr high...hoser......dont...you and ben need to not post
NDSUbison!

Postby homer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:00 pm

that happens every where jealosy rears its ugly head but its actually ignorance people have said that richland gets all there kids from fargo and that they are a coop of 4 towns yea 4 towns that average 50 people
homer

Postby Wrestler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:39 pm

Trinity has good athletes year in and year out, but that doesn't make it easy to win 7 straight titles.  I have watched most of those region 7 semi/title games and Grinsteinner flat out coaches every other coach in that tournament.  Thats why this year I thought they were as down skill wise as they have been in recent history, but when I saw they were in the championship game, I knew they would be going again.  They don't recruit, those names are the same you hear year after year, as families transition through (Morey, Ernst, Rising, etc.).  They don't turn kids away, they need as many tuitions as they can get, to keep the school going. 

It is simply that basketball in SW ND is pretty good, and Trinity is raising the bar for other class B teams, and I think they are catching up, Kids in Dickinson play a lot of basketball all year long.  One advantage Trinity has is getting to compete against more good players on a regular basis than any small town kid gets to.  But I don't think that advantage should disqualify them from being class B.  So there will be more state titles/region titles coming from this area, so might as well get used to it, Trinity seems to have.

It is really too bad that only one team from each of these regions get to go to state, that is why I think a 3 class system would be better, this would separate the Class A town, class B private schools from the small town schools, and give them a better chance to get to state.  I would be upset to if I were a small town fan, seeing Minot, Williston, Dickinson, Bismarck and Fargo represented at the class B tourney year after year.
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:06 am

Very well put wrestler.....even tho you were not bashing Trinity in any way, someone on here will turn it around and try to say that you were.  I agree with your opinions, tho.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby SWsportsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:20 am

OK, as a Trinity grad ans supporter I've heard all the rumors in the past and I just wanted to add my two cents on each of them.

Recruitment - They don't, they should, but they don't. I grew up 30 miles from Dickinson and my parents chose to send us to school there because they wanted to give us a Catholic education. Randy Gordon didn't come out while I was in utero and tell my parents that they wanted me to play football for the Titans. I went to a Catholic grade school from K-6 and the Trinity 7-12 like probably 95% of Trinity's athletes.

It's my personal belief that Trinity should institute an aggressive recruitment program that the diocese helps them out with. Trinity is great academically, look at their test scores year to year and the number of kids they have graduating with honors and you'll realize that people are sending their kids to Trinity for more than just athletics. The coaches aren't just great coaches, they are great teachers. Greg Grinsteinner is hands down the best math teacher I have ever had, at any level, college included. Fargo Shanley's late-great football coach Sid Cichy recruited based on Shanley's academics and I believe Trinity should to.

Capping enrollment - The most ridiculous charge that is leveled againest Trinity. If they were going to cap enrollment to stay at the Class B level why not cap it closer to the cut off and maximize revenue. I'm sure there are some consiracy theorists that would claim that the reason they keep it so low is because then it doesn't look suspicious. I'm telling you right now that is not the case.

Trinity fights tooth and nail for every student it gets and would open its doors to anyone that wants to come to school there.

Economically, it makes no sense for them to do this because they can't stay open without tuition. The more students they have going to school there the more revenue they have and the further in the black they are, something I can assure you they wish they were.

Drawing from the bigger talent pool - It's hard to argue for or againest this claim because or certain factors. Yes, Dickinson is bigger than many of the other communities that Trinity competes againest, but with co-ops and the fact that the majority of the kids are in the Trinity system from day one decreases the strength of the arguement.

I'm tired. I hope this sheds some light for some people.
SWsportsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Weezy Baby » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:18 am

SWsportsfan wrote:OK, as a Trinity grad ans supporter I've heard all the rumors in the past and I just wanted to add my two cents on each of them.

Recruitment - They don't, they should, but they don't. I grew up 30 miles from Dickinson and my parents chose to send us to school there because they wanted to give us a Catholic education. Randy Gordon didn't come out while I was in utero and tell my parents that they wanted me to play football for the Titans. I went to a Catholic grade school from K-6 and the Trinity 7-12 like probably 95% of Trinity's athletes.

It's my personal belief that Trinity should institute an aggressive recruitment program that the diocese helps them out with. Trinity is great academically, look at their test scores year to year and the number of kids they have graduating with honors and you'll realize that people are sending their kids to Trinity for more than just athletics. The coaches aren't just great coaches, they are great teachers. Greg Grinsteinner is hands down the best math teacher I have ever had, at any level, college included. Fargo Shanley's late-great football coach Sid Cichy recruited based on Shanley's academics and I believe Trinity should to.

Capping enrollment - The most ridiculous charge that is leveled againest Trinity. If they were going to cap enrollment to stay at the Class B level why not cap it closer to the cut off and maximize revenue. I'm sure there are some consiracy theorists that would claim that the reason they keep it so low is because then it doesn't look suspicious. I'm telling you right now that is not the case.

Trinity fights tooth and nail for every student it gets and would open its doors to anyone that wants to come to school there.

Economically, it makes no sense for them to do this because they can't stay open without tuition. The more students they have going to school there the more revenue they have and the further in the black they are, something I can assure you they wish they were.

Drawing from the bigger talent pool - It's hard to argue for or againest this claim because or certain factors. Yes, Dickinson is bigger than many of the other communities that Trinity competes againest, but with co-ops and the fact that the majority of the kids are in the Trinity system from day one decreases the strength of the arguement.

AMEN!

jealousy is the number one cause of trinity hate.
Weezy Baby

Postby grizz » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Wrestler wrote:Trinity has good athletes year in and year out, but that doesn't make it easy to win 7 straight titles.  I have watched most of those region 7 semi/title games and Grinsteinner flat out coaches every other coach in that tournament.  Thats why this year I thought they were as down skill wise as they have been in recent history, but when I saw they were in the championship game, I knew they would be going again.  They don't recruit, those names are the same you hear year after year, as families transition through (Morey, Ernst, Rising, etc.).  They don't turn kids away, they need as many tuitions as they can get, to keep the school going. 

It is simply that basketball in SW ND is pretty good, and Trinity is raising the bar for other class B teams, and I think they are catching up, Kids in Dickinson play a lot of basketball all year long.  One advantage Trinity has is getting to compete against more good players on a regular basis than any small town kid gets to.  But I don't think that advantage should disqualify them from being class B.  So there will be more state titles/region titles coming from this area, so might as well get used to it, Trinity seems to have.

It is really too bad that only one team from each of these regions get to go to state, that is why I think a 3 class system would be better, this would separate the Class A town, class B private schools from the small town schools, and give them a better chance to get to state.  I would be upset to if I were a small town fan, seeing Minot, Williston, Dickinson, Bismarck and Fargo represented at the class B tourney year after year.

I agree with everything but the 3 class bball system. I just don't think there are enough teams around to have 3 classes. It would fail miserably
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:22 am

Weezy Baby wrote:
SWsportsfan wrote:OK, as a Trinity grad ans supporter I've heard all the rumors in the past and I just wanted to add my two cents on each of them.

AMEN!

jealousy is the number one cause of trinity hate.
You know in the big cities tnere are separate parochial/catholic leagues that were started because those schools have the unfair advantage of "recruiting".  Obviously, ND can't do that because of the number of schools so those schools should be moved to Class A where they belong.  It may take a few years but most of them could easily adjust. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics