Fan Sportsmanship?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndsubisonfan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:52 pm

theres times when fans can take it too far, but definetly is part of the game. look at the college level, duke vs. unc. Youre probalby not gonna hear the GO BIG BLUE!! chant very much from the student section. there will be lots of heckling and taunting. fans are what make the game exciting, if your a player your supposed to ignore them anyway.
ndsubisonfan

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm

There is a fine line between college and high school.  Even the college scene received media attention when maryland chanted while reddick was shooting FT.  Call me old school, but I don't think calling someone a steroid user, druggie,  or daddy (referring to a mandan football player who supposedly got a girl pregnant) is acceptable.  I don't think it's right to even call an overweight player "piggy" or "fatty".  That has to be more embarrassing than anything, where an entire gym hears a chant like that.  Someone can say "don't pay attention to it, it's just the crowd", but who can honestly say that a kid being taunted like that won't actually care?
Last edited by demonfan74 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm

ndsubisonfan wrote:theres times when fans can take it too far, but definetly is part of the game. look at the college level, duke vs. unc. Youre probalby not gonna hear the GO BIG BLUE!! chant very much from the student section. there will be lots of heckling and taunting. fans are what make the game exciting, if your a player your supposed to ignore them anyway.

I believe it's the players that make the game exciting.  The fans wouldn't be there in the first place if it were boring. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:02 pm

So Weezy Baby must be the reincarnated(Pakistan = Hindu very clever) Ping Pong.  Since when are personal attacks part of any sport.   Stupid ignorant people say stupid ignorant things at games and throughout their lives.  That under no circumstances should be considered OK or an everyday occurrence. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby grizz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:27 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Personal attacks are not apart of the game.  That is one of the most ignorant responses on this board.  What is apart of the game is being able to enjoy watching it without worrying about your little kids hearing profanity or derrogatory comments towards any players.       

i never said they were right, demonfan. im just saying that there is nothing you can do about some crazy fans. yelling profanity should NOT be allowed and a ref should T-up a crowd instantly.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Ming01 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:
project-pat wrote:Fan taunting is part of the game. You should be paying more attention to the game, then the opponent's crowd.

its ok to taunt some of the fans, but when you are screaming "ballhog" when justin belohavick touches the ball, then something is out of place, im not saying mandans fans were a whole lot better, but thats just unclassy

yeah cuz ball hog is so horrible... steroids and reefer are worse... that came from the mandan section

ming it wasn't that the "ball-hog" was so terrible, its the fact that you think you could play the hole time hearing ball hog? That it wouldn't make you double think everytime you shot the ball? It was just a thing that was not classy from the bismarck section, and if anyone who has watched JB play knows that he is not a ball hog. Second in the WDA in assists come on.

Steriods and reefer chant weren't classy either, but they were said once or twice only, not the hole game.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:44 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:
project-pat wrote:Fan taunting is part of the game. You should be paying more attention to the game, then the opponent's crowd.

its ok to taunt some of the fans, but when you are screaming "ballhog" when justin belohavick touches the ball, then something is out of place, im not saying mandans fans were a whole lot better, but thats just unclassy

yeah cuz ball hog is so horrible... steroids and reefer are worse... that came from the mandan section

ming it wasn't that the "ball-hog" was so terrible, its the fact that you think you could play the hole time hearing ball hog? That it wouldn't make you double think everytime you shot the ball? It was just a thing that was not classy from the bismarck section, and if anyone who has watched JB play knows that he is not a ball hog. Second in the WDA in assists come on.

Steriods and reefer chant weren't classy either, but they were said once or twice only, not the hole game.

A REAL BASKETBALL PLAYER PAYS NO ATTENTION TO THE CROWD!
project-pat

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:55 pm

project-pat wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

That doesn't make it right.  Think of all the younger kids at the game hearing things like that.  They might think it's okay to taunt someone even if it's off the court.  That's where harrassment begins.   
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm

demonfan74 wrote:
project-pat wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

That doesn't make it right.  Think of all the younger kids at the game hearing things like that.  They might think it's okay to taunt someone even if it's off the court.  That's where harrassment begins.   

yeah, cause it's so bad for our young kids to hear BALL HOG these days. I bet little 6 year olds are walking up to hendrickxson all the time screamin "WEEFA WEEFA"
Most young kids pay no attention to what the student sections are yelling and rarely talk to opposing players after games.
Last edited by project-pat on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:03 pm

project-pat wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:
project-pat wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

yeah, cause it's so bad for our young kids to hear BALL HOG these days. I bet little 6 year olds are walking up to hendrickxson all the time screamin "WEEFA WEEFA"
Most young kids pay no attention to what the student sections are yelling and rarely talk to opposing players after games.

I think you under-estimate how much young kids look up to older kids.  I never said ball hog is bad.  I'm talking about several games when any student section is out of hand.  I think a personal attack includes targeting someone's race, orientation, and physical characteristics.  Chanting airball is not bad, but chanting fatty is not right. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:09 pm

I say we just drop the topic. No matter how much you guys cry and complain, fan taunting and personal attacks are never going to stop. That is what makes it...PART OF THE GAME. If you step onto the court in a packed gymnasium...expect to hear some heckling from the student sections.
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:48 pm

the most annoying thing is that the bismarck crowd thinks they are duke i hope some of you are on here and realize bhs is not duke and u r not the krazies

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:52 pm

What's wrong with the krazies? Bowman had the "SOLBERG SILLIES" rockin it last year and it worked out nicely.
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:01 pm

project-pat wrote:What's wrong with the krazies? Bowman had the "SOLBERG SILLIES" rockin it last year and it worked out nicely.

i like the krazies from durham not the krazies from bismarck please come up with your own ideas

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:02 pm

More schools then Duke do the jumping up and down action. I guess "DE-FENSE" isn't allowed either because some school back in the day has dibbs on that.
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 pm

project-pat wrote:More schools then Duke do the jumping up and down action. I guess "DE-FENSE" isn't allowed either because some school back in the day has dibbs on that.

im not talkin about stuff like that im talking about printing out shirts with krazies on the back taking dukes chants many things like that

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:50 pm

project-pat wrote:I say we just drop the topic. No matter how much you guys cry and complain, fan taunting and personal attacks are never going to stop. That is what makes it...PART OF THE GAME. If you step onto the court in a packed gymnasium...expect to hear some heckling from the student sections.

Sure it can be stopped,  the school administrators can just stop roping off sections for the students and start disciplining the perpetrators.  Never is a long time.   I'm not advocating that should happen but where will it end when each group of students want to out do the other?
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grizz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Deuce wrote:
project-pat wrote:I say we just drop the topic. No matter how much you guys cry and complain, fan taunting and personal attacks are never going to stop. That is what makes it...PART OF THE GAME. If you step onto the court in a packed gymnasium...expect to hear some heckling from the student sections.

Sure it can be stopped,  the school administrators can just stop roping off sections for the students and start disciplining the perpetrators.  Never is a long time.   I'm not advocating that should happen but where will it end when each group of students want to out do the other?

i totally disagree. what are they going to do? are they going to just give them a slap on the wrist and tell them to knock it off, or are they going to kick out every single person who taunts a player? good luck with that one. no matter how much it not cool to be taunted, ITS GOING TO HAPPEN. project-pat is 100% right.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby Batman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 pm

It seems like those who spent most of their time in the stands during varsity games think that taunting is part of the game, and most of the people who were playing in those games, don't always agree on this subject.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 am

Chicago area schools spend over a half million dollars on security,  They play games during the school day so that students not on the team can't come to the games. 

What are they going to do, there is an idea already in place.  Sound like part of the game. playing in front of mom dad and that is it.  Keep thinking that there is no recourse.  Someday you too could be searched before you enter a basketball game.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballer2 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:50 am

Ditka14 wrote:Im from mandan, and the big thing was we never chant the stuff we did, but we felt we had to do somthing after we realized they were chanting "ballhog" everytime belohvek touched the ball the hole game to the last whistle. It kind of was just a huge snowball affect. Which our adminstration made us stop after awhile, while the bismarck crowd kept on going. With there Ad and principle not thinking what they were doing was a big deal. Which it shows that those two people might be the big deal when this thing is all over.

I have to agree wth this but if ur the best ball player on ur team and probably the state i believe you have to be ready for w/e you hear... sometimes yea it goes to far but if you are that player you have to take t as a compliment because they key on you... im sure if u ask behlovick if it bothered him i would say he says no... most ball players have been harassed by a crowed at one time in there career... imo it goes both ways and behlovick should take it as a compliment... and they say ballhog not because he shoots a lot but he has the ball i his hands almost 80 percent of the game... and he should for them to win he needs to......
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:12 am

Bballer2 is right. Usuaully the only reason people are heckling opposing players is because they are jealous. What do you expect the BHS fans to say, MVP?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby berry186 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:04 am

tschosik has always been that way especially he is always one sided when he refs for linton  he just says he is from bismarck for he can ref for linton like in regions. 
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby grizz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:07 am

Tiger Pride wrote:Chicago area schools spend over a half million dollars on security,  They play games during the school day so that students not on the team can't come to the games. 

What are they going to do, there is an idea already in place.  Sound like part of the game. playing in front of mom dad and that is it.  Keep thinking that there is no recourse.  Someday you too could be searched before you enter a basketball game.

do you realize how boring basketball games would be to play?? it would feel like your playing a city league with no students there. and i could care less if they search me. its not like im going to be bombing a gym anytime soon. that would be more benificial to everyone than hurt us.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby #1balla » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:11 am

I think people should e allowed to harrass the players as much as they want as long as it sticks to the game of basketball.  Making fun of how someone looks or acts of the court should be kept out of the gym.
#1balla

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics