Fan Sportsmanship?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:03 am

I don't know if anyone has seen this but we have a preps fourm going on Bismarck Tribune over the Mandan/bismarck game thought it was rather interesting, Whats peoples thoughts on here about this? Who was out of hand at the game?

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/02/14/news/sports/local/128782.txt#blogcomments
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:49 am

my thought (i only got three posts into it and quit) is that there is always someone who is disgusted by fan behavior at sporting events. this is nothing new.

and i maintain that when i have been at events i have heard parents scream to foul other kids in basketball and break their arms, or to foul harder because the refs are allowing it.

athletics are an ugly business, but they are only ugly because of the 10-20 percent of people in the crowd that are really really stupid and make way more noise than the 80-90 percent that are there to watch a good game and enjoy high school sports.

like everything else, good and bad in every crowd and you really never notice the good unless you look harder.
rep

Postby demonfan74 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:01 am

I would say BHS fans were out of hand.  They usually taunt the best players from every team, relentlessly.  I am embarrassed for them, and I think the administration needs to take some form of action to ensure a better environment.  Don't get me wrong; I think the louder it is and the more cheers there are the better, but it should only be for one's team and not targeting the other team in a negative matter.  I must add that BHS fans are not the only disrespectful fans but they are, without a doubt, the worst. 

I'm sure everyone will be able to see a poor display of sportsmanship from both schools thursday night at the boys basketball game at BHS against CHS.  Go to this game and you will understand what everyone is talking about.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:36 am

That really tells the story when "demonfan74" would admit to being embarrassed by the BHS fans.  The worst thing about it is that we're seeing more and more of this type of behavior.  I always hoped that we would never see one of those videos of a coach attacking a ref, or a parent attacking a coach or a ref in ND, but it's only a matter of time. 
Last edited by ndsportsfan98 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:38 am

Well written post Demon74.

How is it that the adult section of one team is always placed across the gym from the student section of the other team?

Seems like everytime I go to a game and sit in the visitors section it is directly across from the home students.  All I hear are the home students, so if they say or do anything it is obvious.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Honus355 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:13 pm

I agree with you Scatman. Part of the fun of being a student at the games is to be in teh student section. However, when the students start attacking opponents players endlessly, that is where the problems come from.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:16 am

Im from mandan, and the big thing was we never chant the stuff we did, but we felt we had to do somthing after we realized they were chanting "ballhog" everytime belohvek touched the ball the hole game to the last whistle. It kind of was just a huge snowball affect. Which our adminstration made us stop after awhile, while the bismarck crowd kept on going. With there Ad and principle not thinking what they were doing was a big deal. Which it shows that those two people might be the big deal when this thing is all over.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:02 pm

Fan taunting is part of the game. You should be paying more attention to the game, then the opponent's crowd.
project-pat

Postby cornerback*22 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:10 pm

project-pat wrote:Fan taunting is part of the game. You should be paying more attention to the game, then the opponent's crowd.

its ok to taunt some of the fans, but when you are screaming "ballhog" when justin belohavick touches the ball, then something is out of place, im not saying mandans fans were a whole lot better, but thats just unclassy
cornerback*22
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:28 pm

cornerback*22 wrote:
project-pat wrote:Fan taunting is part of the game. You should be paying more attention to the game, then the opponent's crowd.

its ok to taunt some of the fans, but when you are screaming "ballhog" when justin belohavick touches the ball, then something is out of place, im not saying mandans fans were a whole lot better, but thats just unclassy

that's alright, if I was belohlaveck i would take it as a compliment. I would know that my game is so much better than the guy guarding me, that they have to use their crowd to try to take me out of the game. If someone wants to have "bad sportsmanship" by taunting to a player, then so be it. I think it's more fun than the classic "DE-FENSE" and all those other dumb chants.
project-pat

Postby squeak63 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:08 pm

project-pat wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

that's alright, if I was belohlaveck i would take it as a compliment. I would know that my game is so much better than the guy guarding me, that they have to use their crowd to try to take me out of the game. If someone wants to have "bad sportsmanship" by taunting to a player, then so be it. I think it's more fun than the classic "DE-FENSE" and all those other dumb chants.

chanting ball hog is bad but chanting reefer and steroids and jimmy nuetron when hendrikson senger and wilhelm shot free throws isn't? i think both student sections were out of hand that night thats why i elected to sit with the parents and accually enjoy the game
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:32 pm

cornerback*22 wrote:

yeah cuz ball hog is so horrible... steroids and reefer are worse... that came from the mandan section
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby squeak63 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:07 pm

thanks ming
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:22 pm

sqeak63 wrote:thanks ming

was that sarcastic?  yeah sorry i didnt see your comment above mine
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby #1balla » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:27 pm

I don't think either student section was that terrible. They are just trying to get inside the other players head, and if they can't take it they shouldn't be on the floor.
#1balla

Postby footballfanwatcher_99 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:04 pm

who cares about how the fans act, let them shout anything they want if the players cant handle they shouldnt be out there and if anythings real offensive they need to man up and realize, that its probbly nothing personal and the fans just want their team to win.
footballfanwatcher_99
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:08 pm

footballfanwatcher_99 wrote:who cares about how the fans act, let them shout anything they want if the players cant handle they shouldnt be out there and if anythings real offensive they need to man up and realize, that its probbly nothing personal and the fans just want their team to win.

EXACTLY
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:08 pm

#1balla wrote:I don't think either student section was that terrible. They are just trying to get inside the other players head, and if they can't take it they shouldn't be on the floor.

i dint think anythin at the game wuz too bad their are things that shouldnt be there but nothing wuz horrible or nething

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 am

All fans should get to say whatever they want.

Are racial slurs O.K.?:X

Can they use profanity?:X

Can they make personal attacks?:X

I want to punch a kid in the mouth, I suppose that is O.K. too?:X

More comments from the give me what I want when I want it crowd.  Civil and responsible actions are required to make this place a great place to live.  Cheer for your team and encourage them, rise above what others do and excuse as part of life.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby #1balla » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:26 am

Most of these things you are saying are protected under law. But trying to get under someone's skin by yelling ballhog is not bad.
#1balla

Postby cdub1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:09 am

Tiger Pride wrote:All fans should get to say whatever they want.

Are racial slurs O.K.?:X

Can they use profanity?:X

Can they make personal attacks?:X

I want to punch a kid in the mouth, I suppose that is O.K. too?:X

More comments from the give me what I want when I want it crowd.  Civil and responsible actions are required to make this place a great place to live.  Cheer for your team and encourage them, rise above what others do and excuse as part of life.

racial slurs arent ok but they can prolly do that they can swear as much as they want they let them use personal attacks but they cant punch the kids now how many problems are there with that if fans are allowed to use racial slurs and swear at the players

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:38 am

there's been plenty of racial slurs at games
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Weezy Baby » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:43 pm

i think personal attacks are ok. not racial slurs that might be going a little far with it. but definately personal attacks, its part of the game i dont care what you say.
Weezy Baby

Postby grizz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:58 pm

i think personal attacks can go too far, like name calling. we arent in kindergarden anymore. but on the other hand, personal attacks are part of the game.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Personal attacks are not apart of the game.  That is one of the most ignorant responses on this board.  What is apart of the game is being able to enjoy watching it without worrying about your little kids hearing profanity or derrogatory comments towards any players.       
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Hot Topics