should class b basketball have a shot clock

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby smart source » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:31 am

what do you guys think? i think they should i would rather go watch a class a girls game than watch a class b guys game at some points
smart source

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:56 am

The shot clock has made the class A game so much better...

I can't even imagine how much more fun class B would be if there were a shot clock. 
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:23 am

I would agree with you that it would make class b better....BUT i dont know if some of the small schools could afford a shot clock.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3s & Dunks » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 am

Yes it would be a financial burden to alot of the smaller schools.  But I think it would make for some poorer Played basketball, esp. at the middle level teams.  The talent level now has those teams putting up poor quality shots with no shot clock. I might  be wrong but I forsee even poorer shot selection with a clock.  It would be great for the better teams, as they have more talent to create a shot , and a good shot with the clock about to expire.  It just seems to me that there is such a wide gap between the top, or  better teams, and the middle to bottom teams.  The level of play and the talent level seems to go down so fast.  There is not any so-so or avg. teams, in the middle, it DROPS DOWN Fast from the TOP Third! 
3s & Dunks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:18 am

The Schwab wrote:I would agree with you that it would make class b better....BUT i dont know if some of the small schools could afford a shot clock.

Honestly, two shot clocks can't cost THAT much. I find it really hard to believe that a school couldn't scrap together a couple hundred bucks for shot clocks. I don't think it would be a problem financially.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 am

baller01 wrote: 
The Schwab wrote:I would agree with you that it would make class b better....BUT i dont know if some of the small schools could afford a shot clock.

Honestly, two shot clocks can't cost THAT much. I find it really hard to believe that a school couldn't scrap together a couple hundred bucks for shot clocks. I don't think it would be a problem financially.

i dont think hes talking about the Shiloh's and HAzen's, but more of the schools like Tappen who are too stubborn to form a co-op with another school
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am

And I believe that you have to have a shot clock capable clock as well....i asked someone about the cost of it...and was told it would be like buying a whole new scoreboard. For most schools that is
Last edited by The Schwab on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:15 am

Strictly from a quality of play standpoint, I'd be thrilled to see a shot clock in Class B. It's about time, actually.
I wonder how many prep basketball divisions in the country aren't using one. Probably less and less all the time.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby magichoops » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Shot clock cost $1800-2500. That is assuming you are buying one system, but you couls easily take 20% off if buying 100 of them.
magichoops

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:07 am

IMO it would make a bigger spread between the good and the bad. Realistically, if a team is very partient on the offensive end, doesn't turn the ball over, and plays good defense, they have a chance to win. That is why Dickinson Trinity has had so much success over the years. Even if they aren't the better team, they still have a chance to win because of how they play. A shot clock would definately benefit the good teams but hurt the bad teams. Can you imagine how big of point spread you would have in most games against a good and bad team. Imagine a bad team putting up a shot every 20-30 seconds or so instead of holding it for a minute.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:38 am

magichoops wrote:Shot clock cost $1800-2500. That is assuming you are buying one system, but you couls easily take 20% off if buying 100 of them.

I'm guessing schools take into consideration the cost of someone operating them during the games as well.  Most schools pay there clock operator what....$25.00??? to run the clock.  Tack on another $20.00 for the shot clock operator 20X20 home games (boys/girls) on the season and this pushes it to $2200-2900 for the cost.  The big schools would have no problem paying this, but the smaller schools wouldn't be happy. 
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:02 am

baller01 wrote:IMO it would make a bigger spread between the good and the bad. Realistically, if a team is very partient on the offensive end, doesn't turn the ball over, and plays good defense, they have a chance to win. That is why Dickinson Trinity has had so much success over the years. Even if they aren't the better team, they still have a chance to win because of how they play. A shot clock would definately benefit the good teams but hurt the bad teams. Can you imagine how big of point spread you would have in most games against a good and bad team. Imagine a bad team putting up a shot every 20-30 seconds or so instead of holding it for a minute.

i would rather see a good team destroy a bad team then have the bad team slow the game down and drag the good team down to make it close.  i probably wouldnt say that if i was playing on a bad team but its alot more fun to watch then a bad team run a 4 corner offense in the 1st quarter.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:47 pm

ndsportsfan98 wrote:
magichoops wrote:Shot clock cost $1800-2500. That is assuming you are buying one system, but you couls easily take 20% off if buying 100 of them.

I'm guessing schools take into consideration the cost of someone operating them during the games as well.  Most schools pay there clock operator what....$25.00??? to run the clock.  Tack on another $20.00 for the shot clock operator 20X20 home games (boys/girls) on the season and this pushes it to $2200-2900 for the cost.  The big schools would have no problem paying this, but the smaller schools wouldn't be happy. 
couldnt you get a student manager to do this or do smaller schools not have them?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 pm

cdub1 wrote:
ndsportsfan98 wrote:

couldnt you get a student manager to do this or do smaller schools not have them?

what about the guy doing the book or possession arrow??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sports24 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 am

I think the first step would be to move ND to a 3 class system. Then we could have the upper 2 classes (A and B) have shotclocks. That way most of the smaller schools wouldn't have to worry about the cost and the middle and upper schools sound like they can afford this.
sports24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:34 am

[font=courier new]booooooooo!!!!!![/font]
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:37 am

The Schwab wrote:[font=courier new]booooooooo!!!!!![/font]

this is the best way to sum up that statement about 3 class system.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:38 am

baseball wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
ndsportsfan98 wrote:

what about the guy doing the book or possession arrow??

Normally, I guess from what I see in Class B basketball, and it varies by the town, you have 1 person doing the clock, and 1 person doing the book (either one of these also does the possession arrow).  It would be difficult for 1 person to be keeping the clock and the shot clock, and also difficult for the bookkeeper to try to be writing and keeping the shot clock as well.  Maybe a student manager would be able to do it, but I think schools like having adults doing these jobs, so they are less prone to be making critical mistakes during a game. 
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:27 am

In Class A  there are three adults at the table, scorekeeper, scoreboard and shot clock, so it does add another $20 per game to the people at the table, JV also plays with the shot clock so add another $20 for that game...     THE SHOT CLOCK WAS THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED IN CLASS A...  the best teams wins most game, no stalling!!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:32 am

bruins44 wrote:In Class A  there are three adults at the table, scorekeeper, scoreboard and shot clock, so it does add another $20 per game to the people at the table, JV also plays with the shot clock so add another $20 for that game...     THE SHOT CLOCK WAS THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED IN CLASS A...  the best teams wins most game, no stalling!!

in jv student managers do shot clock

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:39 am

cdub1 wrote:
bruins44 wrote:In Class A  there are three adults at the table, scorekeeper, scoreboard and shot clock, so it does add another $20 per game to the people at the table, JV also plays with the shot clock so add another $20 for that game...     THE SHOT CLOCK WAS THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED IN CLASS A...  the best teams wins most game, no stalling!!

Maybe in Mandan but not in the EDC,  every JV game is run by adults at the Score table in the EDC
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:47 am

bruins44 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

Maybe in Mandan but not in the EDC,  every JV game is run by adults at the Score table in the EDC

i would believe that i guess

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby crazy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:56 am

The teams that want a shot clock are the teams that dont want to play deffense for more then 35 sec.
crazy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:18 am

If your down by four points with a minute left a really cheap team could just try to pass the ball around where with a shot clock would give you a for sure another possision and then foul?
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:01 am

Ditka14 wrote:If your down by four points with a minute left a really cheap team could just try to pass the ball around where with a shot clock would give you a for sure another possision and then foul?
Happens ALL THE TIME in class b basketball....every team does it.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics