BEST OVERALL ATHLETIC TRADITION IN THE STATE!!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby AAfootballfan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Just want to hear everyone's opinion on who they think has the best  tradition overall in North Dakota..this should be interesting!! One for Class A sports and One for Class B!
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:58 am

I'd have to say purely because of the athletic success that their sports have had Velva would have to be near the top of this list for Class B. 
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Notorious » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:08 am

Mandan Girl's BB

Trinity Football

.....just to get the discussion started.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby huskers » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 am

Bismarck High School and Dickinson Trinity for overall.

Mandan girls basketball and Napoleon wrestling for teams.
huskers
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:10 am

bismarck high boys track

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Notorious » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:05 am

Here's a question.....when is it truly tradition, or rather just a numbers game?

Is tradition what makes Bismarck Track successful, or is it having a school with 2,000 students?

From Napoleon's standpoint, the wrestling program is all about tradition.

Is it Trinity's tradition, or the school's numbers and ability to draw from a larger town?

Just some food for thought.

Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ping Pong » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Notorious wrote:Here's a question.....when is it truly tradition, or rather just a numbers game?

Is tradition what makes Bismarck Track successful, or is it having a school with 2,000 students?

From Napoleon's standpoint, the wrestling program is all about tradition.

Is it Trinity's tradition, or the school's numbers and ability to draw from a larger town?

Just some food for thought.

dude u ppl need to lay off trinity. everything trinity duz good u guys say der "b/c they can draw more kids" ok so wat. dhs has good athletes too. ths definately has a great tradition if a triple crown means anything to you ppl.
Ping Pong

Postby cdub1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:14 pm

it doesnt matter how they are good numbers athletes wutever they still are good and that makes the athletic tradition of how they are good year in and  year out

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ping Pong » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:16 pm

exactly thank you cdub. we are talking tradition not numbers
Ping Pong

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Cavalier has a pretty strong football Tradition, it's king of sports up there. High School baseball hasn't been around very long up there but it's done very well. They won three straight baseball championships and still doesn't get the mention there that football does.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bcourtbraves » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:10 pm

Belcourt's Band!! Not very man class A school bands get invited to play for class B state tournaments.
Believe Big
bcourtbraves
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ping Pong » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 pm

yes i wuld have to agree on cavalier. how does a band have tradition?
Ping Pong

Postby Honus355 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 am

MPCG has a pretty stong winning tradition for basketball. They have made the state tournament numerous times, regardless of the co-op.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:26 pm

In regards to Trinity, they have been dominant in every sport for about five years.  Prior to the drop into class B ranks in the early 90's they were an also ran for at least five years.  They had a streak like st. Mary's is currently fighting against.  The sad part is that they weren't very good for about five years at the class B level.  Tradition yes but they have adapted to the times changed affiliations and made the moves required to not just be good at a sport or two.  I respect what they have done for their kids and school.  I wish it hadn't come at the expense of small school kids in SW ND.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:45 pm

bcourtbraves wrote:Belcourt's Band!! Not very man class A school bands get invited to play for class B state tournaments.

St. Mary's band... not many bands get invited to play at a college competition at the University of Nebraska.  but anyways this is for athletics so I'll say Napoleon Wrestling and Mandan girls bball
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Regardless of recent downfalls and speculations of recruiting, Fargo Shanley has a great athletic tradition even though its has fallen off significantly.  Though it is due to shear numbers Fargo South has a pretty good tradition in most sports known to North Dakotans.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby vballfan06 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Mandan girl's basketball and Watford City girl's basketball (they've been in the hunt every year since the early 80s)
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:05 pm

I'd say Napoleon wrestling. I'm not saying numbers is a big factor in this discussion but the success they have, with there enrollment, just makes it that much more amazing. They have a 13 man wrestling team, 7 of those 13 are currently ranked #1 in their respective weight.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Grafton in hockey has a pretty strong tradition also, to be as small of school and be as competitive as they are year in and year out shows they are doing something right there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby boysbballfan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Bismark Demons wrestling has a great tradition. They have had alot of team championships and individual champions in the past 10 years. 
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Notorious » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:57 am

I agree with all of you about tradition; however, there are programs where the tradition is most certainly driven by the shear fact the a particular program has a numbers advantage.  I tend to agree with TigerPride about Trinity....I think there is certainly strong tradition, excellent coaching, and a commitment from the school to be dominant in athletics.  I do believe its move to Class B in the '90s and its ability to attract students from SW ND has helped the cause.

I forgot about W.C. BB and Bis. wrestling....great tradition.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:00 pm

baller01 wrote:I'd say Napoleon wrestling. I'm not saying numbers is a big factor in this discussion but the success they have, with there enrollment, just makes it that much more amazing. They have a 13 man wrestling team, 7 of those 13 are currently ranked #1 in their respective weight.
Good point, how many team titles have they won in arow, I thinking 5 or 6, which is definately going up after this year. Also, they had one excellent showing at the rotatory tourney in bismarck kickin large class A schools, which was really impressive.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby football#1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:44 pm

definatley devils lake has major traditons in football and basketball so many all states and so many times making it so far

football#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:54 pm

football#1 wrote:definatley devils lake has major traditons in football and basketball so many all states and so many times making it so far

???/?????Devils Lake Football?//????????
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Notorious » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:27 am

football#1 wrote:definatley devils lake has major traditons in football and basketball so many all states and so many times making it so far

I disagree with both programs having major traditions.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Hot Topics