New School Schedual?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Will ND go to a year round format?

Yes, in the next 5 years
5%
Yes, in the next 15 years
5%
Yes, in the next 16+ years
5%
No, never, not a chance
53%
Wow, if ND did switch, then I would move
32%

Total votes : 19

Postby Dackdude » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:41 pm

At Fargo South there has been a rumor of schools switching to a year round format. I know that there has been a few meetings that some teachers had to go to concerning year round school. They were also given a lot of research to read so they "could be informed and give their two cents".

I find it unlikely for a huge switch like that in the next few years, but who knows.

Is there any talk of that at other schools?
coolstufftodo.googlepages.com

Dackdude
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:15 pm

does that mean no 3 month break between school years? im confused
project-pat

Postby Dackdude » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:07 pm

Ya, I think its like 2 or 3 months then like 3 weeks off, then another month or two then another few weeks off

Dackdude
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:26 pm

that's pretty dumb if you ask me
project-pat

Postby Dackdude » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Ya I know, its like a bunch of Christmas breaks, there just long enough so you forget everything you just learned

Dackdude
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 pm

im more of a summer break kinda guy myself
project-pat

Postby rep » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:13 pm

this comes up every couple of years. i think a big reason it was shot down in years past is because in a lot of the class b towns kids are basically the bulk of farm labor.

personally, i don't really know how they would do it...seems pretty pointless anyway, north dakota's education system certainly isn't in the bottom half of the country.
rep

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 pm

my school actually had the parents take a survey on stuff like this
Last edited by Ming01 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Ming01 wrote:my school actually had the parents take a survery on stuff like this

what did they conclude?
rep

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:54 pm

rep wrote:
Ming01 wrote:my school actually had the parents take a survery on stuff like this

what did they conclude?

they wanted to pretty much keep it the same but not start school til after labor day
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:56 pm

i'm curious if a year-long format would kill legion baseball?
rep

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:58 pm

who knows, prolly not kill it but it would have a huge impact on it, i dunno how they would work around that
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:01 pm

if i had to guess the schools wouldn't feel obligated to do anything...it isn't a high school sponsored sport and more than likely the travel needed for some of the longer trips, you'd probably have to have a freakin parents note in order to miss class

i think the first thing i'd do in order to submarine that whole thing is get a rep from the legion to speak on behalf of keeping everything the same...lotta kids have gotten quite a bit out of legion ball. be really tough to just suddenly have to change everything.

maybe bring in someone like pronk or erstad or someone like that to speak about what they got out of legion ball.
rep

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:49 pm

Does legion ball provide that much more than HS baseball?

I don't know I am asking?  Not meant to be sarcastic.

I also like it when education becomes a question and the title is misspelled.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:00 pm

in thompson, apparently not from some of the discussions i have read on here. from everything i've read in thompson the high school season is paramount. up until last year lamoure didn't have a high school baseball program, so legion was all they had if they wanted to play organized baseball.

i think it really depends on where you live.

but i think that because you are guarenteed more games (spring weather in north dakota promises nothing but at least a few rainouts) and with players being able to compete after high school graduation, i think it gives kids that are looking at playing baseball in college a better chance of doing so by staying sharp.
rep

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:33 am

If(BIG IF) ND went to a year long school wouldn't it be wonderful if the track season remainded the same and HS baseball moved to the summer.  The catch would be that the Legion could still sponsor the baseball team.  This would allow the team to be eligible for the regional and national tourney.  Same with Babe Ruth.  Keep the same rules for eligibility in terms of age etc... that the Legion has but then add the schools eligibility formula.  I think it could work.  Kids get to do both baseball and track. 

I don't care for  the way track has declined over the last few years due in part to HS baseball.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Return to Hot Topics