Mandan Recruitment...everybody knows it!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 pm

It sounds like the move is working out well for her, hopefully it translates to success beyond high school, on the basketball court, and elsewhere.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:08 am

finfam06 wrote:Marlee's parents did not want her to attend Four Winds anymore due to academic reasons so they transferred her to Mandan.  She could have stayed there and played basketball but her parents did the right thing and transferred Marlee off that reservation. Too many Native American Athletes never make it to the College level to play basketball and the school's on many reservation never prepare them for life after high school. Sad but true.

My point here... is that attending high school off the reservation is a much better choice for some Native American Kids by giving them more opportunties to be successful. Its not all about basketball as some might want to think.

I am going to have to disagree.  I graduated in 95' from Four Winds (Smack Dab int he middle of the Reservation) and I had a nice career at Jamestown College on the Jimmie football team.  So don't play that "poor Natives on reservations." 

You stated that Val and Amundson were great chums, that must have been an easy recruit to pick up?  She was recruited, everyone in FW knows she was!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:41 am

Thats kind of why I asked about her brother playing at Parshall and her at Mandan. Seems kind of odd to split up two teenage kids just to go to school. And wasnt Parshall picked to go to state this year? Why did both kids transfer to "potential" state tournament teams? Something just seems pretty fishy here.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Redhead » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:39 am

Scholarships based on GPA/honor status don't amount to much.  The only way to get semi-decent money based on "academics" is through a high ACT/SAT.    
Redhead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:03 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
finfam06 wrote:Marlee's parents did not want her to attend Four Winds anymore due to academic reasons so they transferred her to Mandan.  She could have stayed there and played basketball but her parents did the right thing and transferred Marlee off that reservation. Too many Native American Athletes never make it to the College level to play basketball and the school's on many reservation never prepare them for life after high school. Sad but true.

My point here... is that attending high school off the reservation is a much better choice for some Native American Kids by giving them more opportunties to be successful. Its not all about basketball as some might want to think.

I am going to have to disagree.  I graduated in 95' from Four Winds (Smack Dab int he middle of the Reservation) and I had a nice career at Jamestown College on the Jimmie football team.  So don't play that "poor Natives on reservations." 

You stated that Val and Amundson were great chums, that must have been an easy recruit to pick up?  She was recruited, everyone in FW knows she was!

i think it is odd how you seem to think you know better than the people in her family

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:08 am

Last edited by Deuce on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

All I can say is that Mandan is a powerhouse and no matter if they win or lose, they have my support because they get it done everywhere. Century, yeah they win on their home court but not every game is there. Mandan has won at State, in Wyoming, etc. They must be great to have a four-page letter written on a forum about them supposedly recruiting! If all you other basketball teams put as much into your off-season as you do these forums, maybe you can compete with Mandan!:duel:
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:45 pm

SDHoops wrote:All I can say is that Mandan is a powerhouse and no matter if they win or lose, they have my support because they get it done everywhere. Century, yeah they win on their home court but not every game is there. Mandan has won at State, in Wyoming, etc. They must be great to have a four-page letter written on a forum about them supposedly recruiting! If all you other basketball teams put as much into your off-season as you do these forums, maybe you can compete with Mandan!:duel:

Nice post, sometimes it is easier to complain then actually work harder than the opponent.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby JoJo1111 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Bottom line is..... recruit or no recruit... no one person can win state championships or national tournaments.... it takes 5 girls on the court... a combination of any 5 girls.. and it takes a team ... alot of hard work... and a ton of heart... and I think the 15 girls on the varsity for the Mandan Braves all have the triple threat... teamwork, work ethic and heart. So... lets let them play ball!
JoJo1111
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Regardless of what the NDHSAA comes up with my only hope is that the students aren't the ones who are penalized. 

It has always bothered me when a program gets a penalty and the responsible party gets the least punishment.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby finfam06 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:13 am

Great comments on the Mandan Braves Girls Basketball Team! Last night they destroyed Turtle Mountains on a 42-2 run according to the Bismarck Tribune. I am not speaking nor do I intend to speak on behalf of Marlee Finley's family, but you have to agree it was a great move.

Next week the Mandan Braves should be rated in the top 25 CNN/SI Prep High School Girls Basketball Teams, a first for any team in North Dakota! As was mentioned, it takes five girls on the floor at the same time to make a team great! If people are so worried about teams recruiting, why don't they do it, everybody does it in way or another and thats a fact!
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:54 am

finfam06 wrote:Great comments on the Mandan Braves Girls Basketball Team! Last night they destroyed Turtle Mountains on a 42-2 run according to the Bismarck Tribune. I am not speaking nor do I intend to speak on behalf of Marlee Finley's family, but you have to agree it was a great move.

Next week the Mandan Braves should be rated in the top 25 CNN/SI Prep High School Girls Basketball Teams, a first for any team in North Dakota! As was mentioned, it takes five girls on the floor at the same time to make a team great! If people are so worried about teams recruiting, why don't they do it, everybody does it in way or another and thats a fact!

because most teams like to play by the rules
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:28 am

Ming01 wrote:
finfam06 wrote:Great comments on the Mandan Braves Girls Basketball Team! Last night they destroyed Turtle Mountains on a 42-2 run according to the Bismarck Tribune. I am not speaking nor do I intend to speak on behalf of Marlee Finley's family, but you have to agree it was a great move.

there are NO RULES against recruiting just because people dont like it doesnt make it against the rules show me where it sais you can not talk to players from others schools...

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:34 am

cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

there are NO RULES against recruiting just because people dont like it doesnt make it against the rules show me where it sais you can not talk to players from others schools...

if recruiting is legal, then why is their a petition being set up by the NDHSAA against Mandan?
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:45 am

Ming01 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

if recruiting is legal, then why is their a petition being set up by the NDHSAA against Mandan?
pretty obvious to make it illegal

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:58 am

Ming01 wrote:

Ming you ever watch mtv's two-a-days? Alot of the best players on that team have familys moving to hoover, Ohio to have there kid that is playing on a horrible team that is a standout get some recongnition. Sorry if Marlee Finley wants to get here college paid for. So would every athlete in the state that is a stnadout at there respective sport. It's not against the rules until they change it. Other teams can't do it becuase they don't have the track record like mandan does.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Deuce » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:42 pm

Is there a petition?  All I've heard about is rumors.  I heard they're on double secret probation though.  But it's not over...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:46 pm

"Whenthe going gets tough the tough get going" Jim B.   Thank You
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby finfam06 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:45 pm

Great to hear all the great comments on Mandan again. It just goes to show that everybody wishes thier teams could be recognized like them. There are no rules on recruiting and I would challenge anybody to verify thier claims.  It just boils down to envy!
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:44 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

Ming you ever watch mtv's two-a-days? Alot of the best players on that team have familys moving to hoover, Ohio to have there kid that is playing on a horrible team that is a standout get some recongnition. Sorry if Marlee Finley wants to get here college paid for. So would every athlete in the state that is a stnadout at there respective sport. It's not against the rules until they change it. Other teams can't do it becuase they don't have the track record like mandan does.

ok i was wrong, my bad.  but i wasnt accusing mandan of recruiting in anyway it must of came out the wrong way.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bcourtbraves » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:50 pm

Deuce wrote:Is there a petition?  All I've heard about is rumors.  I heard they're on double secret probation though.  But it's not over...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

The germans? Wasn't it the Japanese? Anyway Mandan girl's basketball if by far the best place for a girl to play highschool basketball in north dakota.  I know they invite girls to join their traveling team during the summer. WHICH ISN'T ILLEGAL by any means.  I don't blame girls for joining the team after they see hows successful the Braves are even outside the state.
Believe Big
bcourtbraves
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm gonna put this in hot topics for those that are still interested in discussing it. 

Thanks
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby SDHoops » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:50 pm

I plan on travelling 7 hours just to watch Mandan play. I've only been limited to articles online, but they sound like a very exciting team to watch. As an avid basketball fan, I appreciate what these young ladies have done, not only for the state of North Dakota, but for the Midwest as well.

Marlee was an excellent player this summer and it is great to see that she has transitioned well from the Class B ranks to Class A. It is my hope that someday all North Dakota basketball fans will see the impact that Mandan has made in years to come. You may not like it now, especially with your teams getting beat, but when your in the retirement home years from now, you'll look back and say "Hey..those girls were good".
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby vballfan06 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:57 pm

I do understand the gripe about Mandan...more so from the standpoint, that we're pushing athletics over academics when we let kids transfer basically to play ball. However, you better believe if I had a daughter with some potential and a job opened up in the bismarck/mandan area...I'd have her enrolled at mandan high school so fast.....
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:59 am

bcourtbraves wrote:
Deuce wrote:Is there a petition?  All I've heard about is rumors.  I heard they're on double secret probation though.  But it's not over...was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

The germans? Wasn't it the Japanese? Anyway Mandan girl's basketball if by far the best place for a girl to play highschool basketball in north dakota.  I know they invite girls to join their traveling team during the summer. WHICH ISN'T ILLEGAL by any means.  I don't blame girls for joining the team after they see hows successful the Braves are even outside the state.

Ya I guess that joke will only be gotten by the 30 somethings and older on this site.  The double secret probation and the rant of it not being over and the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor is from the movie Animal House.   But it also illustrates that just because a statement is posted here doesn't mean it is factual.  So until someone provides some sources on the NDHSAA and some sort of petition I'm sticking with the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor. ;)
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics