Mandan Recruitment...everybody knows it!

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby justbecause » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:30 am

Everyone around the state is talking about Mandan recruitment.  Just today Minot Girls Head Coach speaks on Mandan's recruitment.  Read article.

http://www.kxmb.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=69016

Personally I feel it's pretty poor when you can't compete with what you have to pick from, but instead reach out and recruit.
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:03 am

So we are expected to go on hearsay as direct evidence of recruiting?

It sounds like sour grapes.

Minot has the largest enrollment in the west.  Yet they have had poor teams in recent years.  It sounds like the coach is trying to create an out for himself when they lose.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby #50mandan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:28 am

5 new people on the team, can anybody give some names?
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:06 am

It looks like he may start getting some heat for that comment.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby justbecause » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:35 am

The story that I've heard circulating, is these players just by accident come to Mandan and play for him.  haha

You wonder why Amundson hasn't been coach of the year recently!

justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Spiritof76 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:39 am

Oh no....why would you say that....personally I don't think Mandan is "recruiting". I think families move to Bismarck and Mandan with new jobs and oppurtunities and due to open enrollment they send their girls to Mandan...same reason why BHS lands a new student for football once in a while and stuff. No differnet than moving to a town and deciding which school to send them to for "educational betterment" or because they here they have a better "music department" than the other school. You go to the school that best fits your children, more power to you. Open enrollemnet created this mess.....now who is gonna fix it?

Its not recruiting, its called building a program....the only fault in that whole story is what the Minot High Coach said....look for Amundson to make a couple of statements against Minot High this year.
Spiritof76
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Diamond D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 am

I believe Finley moved on the account her mother got a new job.  I believe that is the way it went.  Maybe it was her father that got a new job down there.

Fact is, this is and has been happening both in men's and women's team and in both in Class A and B.

Randy Lewis went to Minot High from Velva.  Jodi Granlie went from Underwood to Washburn.  Didn't Les Jepsin's brother go from Bowbells to Williston?  Carpio to Minot Ryan.

I guess I don't know about Mandan.  Maybe they are just lucky? 

Diamond D

Postby rep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:44 am

Anderson:Obviously Mandan is gonna be the team to beat. And they got five new girls that moved in their this year...

so now the t.v. media doesn't know the difference between there and their...this is basic friggin seventh grade stuff...that offends me more than the backhanded 'recruiting' comment

Last edited by rep on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby cdub1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:45 am

we have one new player not five unless there are a bunch of basketball players i dont know about and the only new one is marlee and she went here last year so i dont even know how much that matters

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mr. Me Too » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:15 pm

How did the rumors off Shaunna Knife transfering to Mandan start. . .I mean it was completely a state wide rumor, I know she played with Mandan this summer traveling. Personally I don't think Mandan "recruits" just as someone said before if you get a new job into the Bismarck-Mandan area and your daughter plays ball where do you want her to go, a 4 time state championship team or a team that finishes behind Mandan every year
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:34 pm

shaunna was gonna transfer and then she jus dint

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mr. Me Too » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:34 pm

hmm. . .i know i heard of the rumor but didn't know if it was true or not. . .but she was really gonna transfer thanx for the info
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:03 am

recruiting no recruiting if I was a top class A girls basketball player in the state playing for a stuff poor team. I would move to Mandan as well look how many of his last year bench players that are getting scolarships to play college ball. If your playing on mandan girls basketball your going to get the best look.

plus i feel bad for Minot, Amundson isn't going to be nice when they play eachother he is going to keep the starters in and make a joke out of this coach for what he said. If i was a minot girls bball player i would be mad at my coach about this comment.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby SDHoops » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:47 am

Did anybody read the boys basketball thread? Minot boys got a recruit themselves from Alaska! and they are quick to point the finger at Mandan for "recruiting"..:D
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby power-aid14 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:43 pm

SDHoops wrote:Did anybody read the boys basketball thread? Minot boys got a recruit themselves from Alaska! and they are quick to point the finger at Mandan for "recruiting"..:D

riiiiigghhhttt....i heard minot high called the military and had them send this kids family to minot. wait no i didnt hear that.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby magichoops » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Minot does not have the largest enrollment in the WDA. Bismarck and Century are both larger. Minot includes 9th graders in their enrollment and the Bismarck schools do not. That being said, Anderson couldn't coach his way out of paper bag.
magichoops

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:32 pm

Go to the NDHSAA.com look at the FB section.  It lists the enrollment for male athletes at those schools.  Minot has almost 100 more kids.  And yes this includes freshmen, the middle schools included are indicated in parenthesis.  I know this is for male students, but I feel safe in assuming that the female numbers are similar.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby sioux75 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:49 pm

The Boys 2006-07 Hoopster lists the enrollment for Class A schools, (I don't know if it is counting 9th grade for some schools, but I would guess maybe not as the numbers don't seem to match up for Bismarck Century and Minot which don't include 9th graders), as follows:

Fargo South:        1800

West Fargo:         1600

Bismarck:              1450

Minot:                   1400

Grand Forks RR:   1400

Grand Forks C:     1060

Century:               1000

Mandan:               1000

North:                   900

Dickinson:             850

Jamestown:          850

Williston                800

Devil's Lake           740

Turtle Mountain    630

Wahpeton            476

Valley City             380

St. Mary's              355

Shanley                 289

sioux75

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:20 pm

I am going to go with NDHSAA on this one.  Schools have to report those numbers.  The hoopster has the AD giving the info.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndbb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:10 pm

Why, What did he do wrong? It is somewhat fishy that 5 girls show up at his doorstep, but all is fair in love and war. It is known that Amundson isnt exactly well liked by some other girls coaches, and Anderson is generally liked, so why criticize that statement.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:19 pm

There aren't new girls, at least according to cub and he seems to be an authority on Mandan.

From last year

Kielpinski, Kelsch, Kraft, Collins and Nuss.  I am sure I have missed a couple of returners.  There will not be five new players.  There might only be five new faces on the varsity with all of the returners Mandan has. 

There is only one girls game I would go and watch and that is the Mandan v. CHS game at Century.  Otherwise Mandan will run the table again this year. 

That is the reason that a "single" transfer gets brought up.  Minot is going to get thumped and the coach wants an out.  I would suggest you have a few open gyms, get the girls on the weights, convince them and their parents that spending huge chunks of cash on trips to Wisc., vegas, Hawaii are a better plan than saving for college.  Once you have done those things than complain about a single transfer.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby finfam06 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:27 pm

I know for a fact that Amundson was interviewed by Minot High shortly after he finished coaching at New Town in the late 1970's but was not chosen for the coaching position at that time. Minot had an opportunity to hire Amundson but lonely Mandan at that time took a chance on Amundson and the rest is now history! Amundson surely deserve the credit and recognition for building a dominate girls basketball program which is currently looking at a 5th straight State A Championship! If the coach at Minot High is complaining about recruiting then he needs to start working with his girls during the off season and take them around the Country to many of the AAU Girls Basketball Tournaments Mandan attends every summer! Learning the game of basketball takes place during the off season and for those teams that put in many long hours during the off season are among the elite in North Dakota girls basketball! My hats off to Mandan Hgh Girls Basketball Team and coaches for the dedication and hardwork it takes to become the envy of every girls basketball program in North Dakota!
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 pm

hear is the mandan roster

Kraft, Mic
Sr.
5'3"
G/G

Gannon, Jessica
Sr.
5'5"
G/G

Strandemo, Melissa
Jr.
5'7"
G/F

Taken Alive, ShanLee
Jr.
5'8"
G/F

Collins, Ali
So.
5'9"
G/G

Stromstad, Anne
Sr.
5'8"
F/G

Meyer, Samantha
Jr.
5'8"
F/C

Finley, Marlee
Jr.
5'11"
G/F

Zander, Brittaney
So.
5'7"
G/F

Jensen, Paige
So.
6'0"
F/C

Levi, Breanna
So.
5'9"
F/C

Hermanson, Alicia
Sr.
6'0"
C/F

Kelsch, Cassandra
Sr.
6'1"
C/F

Luger, Skylei
Jr.
5'9"
G/F

Kielpinski, Jessica
Sr.
6'1"
C/F

Helmers, Emily
So.
5'7"
G/F

every player on the team went to our school last year and played for us last year with the acception of marlee and you can kind of call shanlee a tranfer if you wanted i guess but that would be 2 not 5

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:18 pm

The problem I'd have with Anderson's comments if I was Amundson is that not only is he throwing around false accusations, he's using them in the media to smear Mandan's program.

If I was a player I'd take offense at it because he's basically saying Mandan will be good again but not because of any of the returning players or their hard work in the off season but because he's bringing in 5 new players.

Mandan vs. Minot on 1/6 should be interesting. 
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:30 am

One transfer doesn't make a team, they have kelpinski,kelsch, hermenson, and kraft that's all mandan needs to win. No coach in the state is as determined and pushes his players like Amundson does he is a great coach, and any school in the state would love to bring him in and change their program around like Amundson has done to Mandan.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Hot Topics