Transfer student eligibility. Century high violation again

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Transfer student eligibility. Century high violation again

Postby shelly k » Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

CHS girls soccer had to forfeit their first game against Jamestown due to a transfer player violation of the 180 day rule. This girl transferred to CHS inbetween her freshman and sophomore years. On tuesday against Saint Marys the same player was played again. CHS apparently believes the 180 day clock starts at the date of the end of the girls previous seasons varsity track participation at Saint Marys. However NDHSAA section X makes it pretty clear that the 180 day clock starts upon the student attending the new school which would of been at the beginning of this school year in August. Thus the 180 day rule would been violated again. What is the rule in this case? This could have a big impact in this years tight WDA soccer conferance.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Transfer student eligibility. Century high violation aga

Postby shelly k » Fri May 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Here is the actual language from the NDHSAA Constitution and Bylaws Section X

"A student shall have been in attendance at the school which the student represents for 180
school days upon transferring from another school "

"A transfer is considered complete on the first day of attendance"

Thus CHS's interpretation of starting the 180 day clock into the previous school year appears to be incorrect and CHS may be entering the state soccer tournament with an ineligible player should NDHSAA enforce their rules as written and intended.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Sounds like she would be eligible. 180 days is a school year. She has gone to Century since the 2012-2013 school year started. The school year is over, so she has attended Century for 180 days. Correct?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:34 am

If she started at the beginning of the school year at CHS, I could see where she could be short on days in March, but she should have enough days in by April.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shelly k » Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:If she started at the beginning of the school year at CHS, I could see where she could be short on days in March, but she should have enough days in by April.

There are only 175 "school days" in a school year. See the calendar http://www.bismarck.k12.nd.us/uploads/r ... lendar.pdf

The intent of the 180 rule really is to make players sit out the whole year for an in town transfer. It's pretty darn simple. Thus Minot should be going to state instead of CHS. I doubt the EDC teams are going to look the other way should CHS win any games at State. This should be address by NDHSAA now, the rules should be interpreted as intended to avoid a big hassle at State.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby shelly k » Mon May 27, 2013 12:44 pm

balla45 wrote:Sounds like she would be eligible. 180 days is a school year. She has gone to Century since the 2012-2013 school year started. The school year is over, so she has attended Century for 180 days. Correct?

Again there are 175 school days in ND... http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/01/06/68/10668.pdf

Even if there were 180 that would still require forfeit of the last three games of the season and Minot goes to state.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:47 pm

shelly k wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:If she started at the beginning of the school year at CHS, I could see where she could be short on days in March, but she should have enough days in by April.

There are only 175 "school days" in a school year. See the calendar http://www.bismarck.k12.nd.us/uploads/r ... lendar.pdf

The intent of the 180 rule really is to make players sit out the whole year for an in town transfer. It's pretty darn simple. Thus Minot should be going to state instead of CHS. I doubt the EDC teams are going to look the other way should CHS win any games at State. This should be address by NDHSAA now, the rules should be interpreted as intended to avoid a big hassle at State.

I definitely won't argue with you. I always thought that if you made an in-town transfer, you had to play a JV schedule the following year, but I assumed that maybe I was wrong.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 pm

I have heard that she attended summer school, so she would have started her 180 day clock in June or July instead of August.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby shelly k » Wed May 29, 2013 12:19 pm

balla45 wrote:I have heard that she attended summer school, so she would have started her 180 day clock in June or July instead of August.

One session of summer school would provide 15 days and that would be enough on the face of it. However I would be nervous to rely on this as I don't believe other NDHSAA criteria allows counting of summer school. For example, if a student is suspended for 6 weeks from extracurricular activities, summer school days do not count. Additionally if a student attended both summer school sessions that would be 30 extra days. Therefore a student could transfer after the school year, attend both summer school sessions, and be eligible for a complete season of any varsity spring sport. I am certain the 180 day rule intends to prevent that. But powers that be are aware now and will act or not as appropriate.
shelly k
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Below is transfer student eligibility section from the By-Laws of the NDHSAA

"SECTION X:
a. A student shall have been in attendance at the school which the student represents for 180
school days upon transferring from another school unless the student's parents have become residents
of the school district to which the student transferred or unless the school from which the student
transferred does not offer work of the corresponding year in which the student is ranked, and there is
no evidence of recruitment or undue influence. In the instance of a pupil transferring from a public
high school to a private or parochial high school, or vice versa, the student shall not be eligible to
represent the new high school in varsity competition for 180 school days. Should a school district
maintain more than one high school, residence shall be understood to refer to the territory assigned to
a specific high school by the Board of Education, and any transfer by a student from one school to
another within the school district without a corresponding change in parental residence shall result in
a loss of eligibility in varsity competition for 180 school days. (Jan. 09)

b. A student who, because of hardship including, but not limited to, broken home conditions,
death of parents or guardians, abandonment or other exceptional or emergency reasons, finds it
necessary to transfer schools, may be declared eligible for varsity competition by the Executive
Secretary, provided the member school of attendance submits and supports a hardship application
and the Executive Secretary’s investigation verifies the transfer was necessary and there was no undue
influence or recruitment. The decision of the Executive Secretary may be appealed pursuant to Due
41 Process Procedures of Article VI, Sections XV through XVII of these By-Laws (see Hardship Appeals
Flow Chart, attached hereto at page 50 and incorporated by reference). (Oct. 2011)

c. When some of the senior high schools within the same public school district are organized as
three-year high schools and others are organized as four-year high schools, students finishing the ninth
grade in the school system operating a three-year high school have the privilege of transferring to the
four-year high school system without loss of eligibility if the transfer is made at the start of the first
semester of the tenth grade. Such transfers are not permitted from four-year high schools to the three-year
high school without loss of eligibility. This in no way abridges the right of a student to establish
his/her eligibility in any high school of his/her choice at the beginning of the ninth grade."
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BB11 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:11 am

shelly k wrote:

There are only 175 " student contact days" in a school year - there are actually 182 official school days in a school year. The 180 rule was put in the books in 2009 - when there were only 180 official school days and I believe it was 174 "student-contact days". Thereby a student would essentially have to sit out any varsity competition for the whole School year if they were registered and in school on the 1st day. If someone starts playing varsity golf, soccer, track - whatever after the 180 official day limit (basically the end of the school year - or two days before the end of the school year to be official), there is nothing illegal or against the rules in that concern.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu May 30, 2013 4:00 pm

shelly k wrote:
balla45 wrote:I have heard that she attended summer school, so she would have started her 180 day clock in June or July instead of August.

One session of summer school would provide 15 days and that would be enough on the face of it. However I would be nervous to rely on this as I don't believe other NDHSAA criteria allows counting of summer school. For example, if a student is suspended for 6 weeks from extracurricular activities, summer school days do not count. Additionally if a student attended both summer school sessions that would be 30 extra days. Therefore a student could transfer after the school year, attend both summer school sessions, and be eligible for a complete season of any varsity spring sport. I am certain the 180 day rule intends to prevent that. But powers that be are aware now and will act or not as appropriate.

I will comment on what I know, each school handles the "6 week penalty" differently when it comes to summer
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics