Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

No smack talk is allowed here.

Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

Postby old lineman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 pm

I would really like to see the replacement for coach chin to actively recruit in the red river valley and though out the state. There are and have been a bunch of coaches that where at MIT who could send a couple kids a year there. At a function for Mayville the coach said he had never been to Stephen mn, in days of old that was a hot bed for tough kids who fit into the small school. Any young coaches on the list? Tough spot to fill. Maybe Jim dew or Hank will come back to there Alma mater
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Who will replace Nathan chin at Mayville state

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

I absolutely, positively agree that Mayville needs someone who will recruit locally. They aren't winning with all these guys from all over the country, why not recruit locally and get kids who are committed to the area and will stay 4 years in the program? It would help attendance to have more local guys. And I gotta believe that fundraising would improve if alums knew they were supporting local kids.

As an alum, I'm really tired of coaches from who knows where recruiting kids that don't even know North Dakota exists.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 am

Preaching to the choir Hinsa! @old lineman, You are correct about the Stephen, MN thing. Between Stephen-Argyle and Cavalier they won 6 state championships in 3 years between the two schools. Stephen-Argyle ended up winning like 6 out of 7 but the point is, Mayville signed ONE player from the two schools during that time. Crookston signed Kyle Gratzek and Kolby Gruhot who came in as freshman and led the team in tackles and ate Mayvilles lunch in the game we played against them. That is only one example of guys from that area playing for Mayville. It's sad when you've got that much talent for guys right in your backyard and you won't even attempt to get them.

Even though he would not have came to play at Mayville State it was pretty shocking to many of the Comets that there was no contact of Matt Anderson when he was coming out of high school. He was pretty set on going to NDSU but his dad is still very active at Mayville State University as an alum and I don't think Matt even got as much as a letter from MSU.

As far as who Chin will be replaced by, my money is on Derek Schlieve.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:44 am

It's tough to recruit quality kids and coaches when you are a bottom feeder. But I agree with you guys that if Mayville could get some salty local kids who would stick around for four five years, build some team chemistry, they would win a few games and feel better about their program.

As far as Derek Schlieve, I heard he was named the interum head coach for now, but.... he is not your man. I would go the route of getting an established, successful, young, motivated high school coach. Not a grad assistant or some out of work coordinator from another bad program.

Look at the route Moorhead State is taking. No successfull college coach or cooridinator wants to go down a step, if they have success they want to move up to greener pastures. Get a kid who is tearing it up at the high school level and wants to move to up to the college ranks, so all he has to think about is football, instead of teaching math and coaching track and jr high basketball etc.

The last time Mayville won a conference title that is what they did, Leclair may have recruited those kids but it took a COACH, (was it Hendrickson that came from Killdeer?) to win with those kids.

I can't believe I am giving advice to Mayville....... On second thought hire Schlieve
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Guru, one person that comes to mind for me is Magner from Dakota Prairie. He has had a lot of success there coming right out of college. Don't know if that's a testimant to his coaching ability or if he just had a string of talent right off the bat. But he is a Mayville grad and a guy that would seem to like to take on a challenge and try to build a program. Don't know if he would be interested, tho.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Can't argue with his success, In the playoffs 8 out of 9 years( somthing like that) at a school that had no playoff teams before him. (Since the DP consolidation.)

However is his goal to become a college coach? I don't think so, but yeah a guy like that.

Mcall from Wahpeton, is a Mayville State guy too, but quit when the talent flame went out there, he won a ton of games against bigger schools.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Apparently Rod Oksendahl wasn't good enough for the Comets when he had his chance a few years ago, so who knows what they'll do.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 am

How do you get kids to play football at a school with no conference and very few scholarships to give out? It's gonna be tough for anyone who comes into Mayville State next, but I wish them nothing but the best.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 am

I would like to see Schlieve get a chance, I feel that he has earned a shot.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Chin took another position or was he fired?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Flip wrote:Chin took another position or was he fired?

Took another position.

http://www.msucomets.com/news/2011/3/14 ... 11515.aspx
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

The biggest most positive things about schools such as Mayville,valley, and bottineau is that is a great spot for the above average athlete a chance to play and learn at the next level. If you support a school like Mayville or not the idea for these schools to promote North Dakota and surrounding area. Kids the chance to play at the next level. Although these schools have to go out of the pocket to get the dude that is needed to solidify the roster it is better for the players in the state to have a chance with these schools than to have no chance at a bigger program
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:10 am

Derek Schlieve was named the head coach yesterday.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:41 am

Not much of a shocker there, most people close to that program were anticipating it from the beginning unless one of the other candidates really had a wow factor during the interview process.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Three years later and there is no doubt in my mind Schlieve was the right guy to turn this program around. We don't play nearly the level of teams we used to, but being without a conference and now in a newly formed conference, that's going to happen. The whole feel around the football program is a complete turnaround from how it had been for so long. This year we defeated a ranked Valley City club for the first time in 15 years! People come to the games and actually stay now. We've competed with Jamestown for the first time in many years the past two season and have had signature wins over old DAC opponents (VCSU 2013, Dickinson 2012). Schlieve was the right guy because Mayville isn't a stepping stone for him, it's where he wants to be.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 am

BasketballMind wrote:Three years later and there is no doubt in my mind Schlieve was the right guy to turn this program around. We don't play nearly the level of teams we used to, but being without a conference and now in a newly formed conference, that's going to happen. The whole feel around the football program is a complete turnaround from how it had been for so long. This year we defeated a ranked Valley City club for the first time in 15 years! People come to the games and actually stay now. We've competed with Jamestown for the first time in many years the past two season and have had signature wins over old DAC opponents (VCSU 2013, Dickinson 2012). Schlieve was the right guy because Mayville isn't a stepping stone for him, it's where he wants to be.

Was very surprised to read Schlieve resigned. Noticed he took a position coaching a Texas high school team. Can somebody give us the story on this?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't have the story, but i would imagine the allure of more money (yes, you make more money coaching high school in Texas, much more) and no teaching (yes, most Texas coaches only coach, they have no classroom time or if they do, it's maybe 1 or 2 hours) pulled him away.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Did they hire a new coach?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Hired John Haines, former MSU alumni. From what I've read, old coach was upset about how MSU offers coaches contracts each year and the pay for his assistants
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:56 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Hired John Haines, former MSU alumni. From what I've read, old coach was upset about how MSU offers coaches contracts each year and the pay for his assistants

Prior to being HC wasn't he an assistant coach himself?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Hired John Haines, former MSU alumni. From what I've read, old coach was upset about how MSU offers coaches contracts each year and the pay for his assistants

Prior to being HC wasn't he an assistant coach himself?

Assistant many years ago. Was an OC at a college in Missouri before the hire
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:30 pm

For as much talk on here that Schlieve "built" the program to new heights, I'm afraid his mid-July resignation left the foundation in two times worse of shape then he found it. He left less than three weeks before the start of fall camp. Not to mention Mayville State played in the first college football game of the season. Also, the team will be playing a much tougher schedule than the last three seasons. I'm afraid it will take around two or three years to see how Haines will do considering he wasn't given a fighting chance to prepare for this season.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Big Blue wrote:For as much talk on here that Schlieve "built" the program to new heights, I'm afraid his mid-July resignation left the foundation in two times worse of shape then he found it. He left less than three weeks before the start of fall camp. Not to mention Mayville State played in the first college football game of the season. Also, the team will be playing a much tougher schedule than the last three seasons. I'm afraid it will take around two or three years to see how Haines will do considering he wasn't given a fighting chance to prepare for this season.

I agree. The schedule when they were an independent was very easy compared to the days of the DAC-10 and the DAC, which was a great conference. The NSAA is now building to be a pretty good conference as well with the addition of DSU so the schedule gets much harder. At the same time, Schlieve changed the attitude and culture and definitely got the program going in the right direction. This season is a waste due to his resignation, players leaving, new coach not having any time to prepare/recruit, etc. I think it will take 3 years before we see if Mayville St gets back to the winning ways and most of it will depend on who they can recruit.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby SEC » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Schlieve benefited from one of the easiest schedules a four year college football team could have. He created a new culture, but that culture is quickly eroding as this season progresses. John Haines was put in a bad situation but seems to be overwhelmed with the position.
SEC
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges