Steve Laqua

No smack talk is allowed here.

Steve Laqua

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:25 am

Congrats to Steve on being named as head football coach at Moorhead State. Hopefully he can get things turned around at MSUM. I will be interested to see who he brings in coaching staff wise, wonder if Oksendahl will follow him there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 pm

ndfan wrote:Congrats to Steve on being named as head football coach at Moorhead State. Hopefully he can get things turned around at MSUM. I will be interested to see who he brings in coaching staff wise, wonder if Oksendahl will follow him there.

Minnesota State-Moorhead will never be any good until they actually spend some money on their team. My info could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they give out the fewest scholarships of NSIC team. The Forum had the number a while back and I think the number was less than 10. Hard to compete doing that.
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby cubsfan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 pm

I believe they give out 9 scholarships. I believe the NSIC's maximum for scholarships is 22 or 23. It would be very hard to compete with some of the bigger schools.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:57 pm

MSUM & UM-Crookston have less than 10 scholarships to give...explains why they are at the bottom year in and year out.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10194
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:58 pm

What is the max scholarships allowed in the NSIC?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 pm

I think cubsfan is right...its in the low 20s
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10194
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 pm

I actually thought it was 25, but either way MSU-M is down there.

edit: in 2008 it was 24
http://www.startribune.com/sports/27511434.html
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Flip wrote:
ndfan wrote:Congrats to Steve on being named as head football coach at Moorhead State. Hopefully he can get things turned around at MSUM. I will be interested to see who he brings in coaching staff wise, wonder if Oksendahl will follow him there.

Minnesota State-Moorhead will never be any good until they actually spend some money on their team. My info could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they give out the fewest scholarships of NSIC team. The Forum had the number a while back and I think the number was less than 10. Hard to compete doing that.


Steve will make them better
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
User avatar
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 am

I don't think he will be able to make that much of difference if the school doesn't starting funding the football program more. The NSIC may be the best football conference in Division II and is certainly the deepest.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:23 pm

cubsfan wrote:I don't think he will be able to make that much of difference if the school doesn't starting funding the football program more. The NSIC may be the best football conference in Division II and is certainly the deepest.


I'm sure he knows more than we do in the funding dept. and whats coming down the road, he wouldn't leave a great thing for a not so great thing unless he knew things are going to be looking up!

I also think he will be working hard for the program and for the players and rest of the staff, and working on the things it takes to start building, JMO
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
User avatar
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Indy5 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:54 pm

winner-within wrote:
cubsfan wrote:I don't think he will be able to make that much of difference if the school doesn't starting funding the football program more. The NSIC may be the best football conference in Division II and is certainly the deepest.


I'm sure he knows more than we do in the funding dept. and whats coming down the road, he wouldn't leave a great thing for a not so great thing unless he knew things are going to be looking up!

I also think he will be working hard for the program and for the players and rest of the staff, and working on the things it takes to start building, JMO

He was at Shanley, not? Even though they were dominate this year, I think they'll drop into being above average for awhile. Their senior class this year was just ridiculous. I'm sure pay was a big part of the move as well as the prestige of being a college football coach, not a high school one. Also, the conveinence of not even having to move.

I don't really know what he can do to generate money for a school that has never really been that good or funded well at all.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 am

I'd be willing to hold my breath
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
User avatar
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Steve is a winner - it may not be next year or the year after - but Steve is a winner - and he will make them competative. No doubt in my mind. Dragons fans are very fortunate.
Side note - Coach Oksendahl has shown interest in taking over the reins at Shanley. Be interesting to see if that happens as well.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Rob Hunt hired as offensive coordinator, I didn't know he was the offensive coordinator at VCSU the last two seasons. Anyways I think Rob was one of the top 5 linemen to ever come out of North Dakota and will be a very valuable asset to Moorhead State.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... up/Sports/
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10194
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Oksandahl took the Shanley job:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/


Oksendahl is one of the best coaches ever in North Dakota!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 am

ndfan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Oksandahl took the Shanley job:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... /homepage/


Oksendahl is one of the best coaches ever in North Dakota!


Tough to argue with his resume'
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby gobison » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:22 am

Steve WILL turn the program around at MSUM. I would not be surprised at all to see an above .500 team one or both of the next two years.
Image
User avatar
gobison
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby gobison » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 am

I also think Oksendahl will also be a great fit for Shanley, but they won't have as much success as they have the two previous years.
Image
User avatar
gobison
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 am

I just don't see them being above .500 at all in the near future. He might be a good coach but the NSIC is probably the toughest football conference in the nation. So with their lack of funding-scholarships-it will be very difficult to get the right kids to go to MSUM.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby SEC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:20 pm

cubsfan wrote:I just don't see them being above .500 at all in the near future. He might be a good coach but the NSIC is probably the toughest football conference in the nation. So with their lack of funding-scholarships-it will be very difficult to get the right kids to go to MSUM.


You know this how? Laqua has some experience in the NSIC when he coached in Crookston and I believe that he will get some good local talent to stay around. Fargo-Moorehead is also a nice city to live in.
SEC
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby Indy5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm

SEC wrote:
cubsfan wrote:I just don't see them being above .500 at all in the near future. He might be a good coach but the NSIC is probably the toughest football conference in the nation. So with their lack of funding-scholarships-it will be very difficult to get the right kids to go to MSUM.


You know this how? Laqua has some experience in the NSIC when he coached in Crookston and I believe that he will get some good local talent to stay around. Fargo-Moorehead is also a nice city to live in.

O and hows Crookston?
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Steve delivered a real great message at the Cavalier 2011 Commencements.."its who you put in your Boat.. :wink: "
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
User avatar
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Steve Laqua

Postby gobison » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 am

By the looks of it, Steve really has the Dragon players looking very fired-up and optimistic about the upcoming season.
Image
User avatar
gobison
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 am


Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest