Fighting Sioux Football 2009

No smack talk is allowed here.

Fighting Sioux Football 2009

Postby ndfan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:38 am

Sat, Sep 05 Texas Tech at Lubbock, Texas 6 p.m.
Sat, Sep 19 Northwestern State at Natchitoches, La. 6 p.m.
Sat, Sep 26 Stephen F. Austin at Nacogdoches, Texas 6 p.m.
Sat, Oct 03 South Dakota (Homecoming) * Grand Forks, N.D. 4 p.m.
Sat, Oct 10 Stony Brook (Potato Bowl) Grand Forks, N.D. 1 p.m.
Sat, Oct 17 Sioux Falls Grand Forks, N.D. 1 p.m.
Sat, Oct 24 Southern Utah * at Cedar City, Utah 3 p.m.
Sat, Oct 31 Cal Poly (UND Hall of Fame Game) * Grand Forks, N.D. 4 p.m.
Sat, Nov 07 Southern Oregon Grand Forks, N.D. 4 p.m.
Sat, Nov 14 UC Davis * at Davis, Calif. 3 p.m.
Sat, Nov 28 Central Arkansas at Conway, Ark. 1 p.m.

Thoughts on how the Fighting Sioux football team schedule plays out?

Lose at Texas Tech (Won't be a fun game to watch if your a Sioux fan)
Lose at Northwestern State (Long trip and Northwestern isn't a bad program)
Lose at SFA (Third straight long road trip)
Win Against South Dakota (Finally at home, and win home opener against rival)
Win Against Stony Brook (never heard of them)
Win Against Sioux Falls (Not sure what division they play but Sioux should win)
Lose at Southern Utah (Lost to them at home last year, should be close game)
Lose Against Cal Poly (Poly is top ten team in FCS probably won't be close)
Win against Southern Oregon ( SO not a very good team)
Lose at UC Davis (on the road against decent davis team)
Lose at Central Arkansas

Ufffda i have them at 4-7, for some reason I just feel they are going to have a down season this year. Maybe somebody see's these games going another way? thoughts?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Fighting Sioux Football 2009

Postby UND9296 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:06 pm

I don't think you're too far off (if at all), but I think UND can win at SFA, and possibly S. Utah. I really think last year's loss to S. Utah was something of a fluke. UND hammered them on the road in 2007, and USD (who UND beat on the road) blew them out at S. Utah last year. The Cal Poly game will be interesting because this may be the first time UND has been a clear home underdog in about 10 years.

IMO, the keys to UND's fortunes will be if the defense, which looks quite strong on paper, re-establishes itself as the dominating unit it was under previous coordinators Schweigert and Tibesar, and if some of the younger skill position players can step up to replace the likes of Freund, Murray and Trenbeath. I think there is talent there, but with so little game experience it's impossible to predict how they'll respond to this level of competition.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Good news: Cal Poly can be pretty terrible on the road.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Sioux Falls is NAIA. Again going by the Phil Steele poll I posted about in another thread Cal Davis is 24th, Caly Poly 29th, and Central Arkansas is 35th.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking09 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 pm

This season does not look like it will be a good one for the sioux, but i am excited(even tho i should be petrified) to see the outcome of the texas tech game to see how the sioux fair in maybe their biggest game they have played in.
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Sportsking09, nice to see you back. Care to comment on UND scheduling a NAIA team?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rodgers4ever » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:22 pm

Flip wrote:Sportsking09, nice to see you back. Care to comment on UND scheduling a NAIA team?

Flip, their a powerhouse defending their undefeated national championship. Its better they play them than some pathetic team like Wagner College which NDSU is playing
If their shooting at you, you're doing something right
Rodgers4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:39 am

Texas Tech's starting RB might be able to play in the game....out with injury for a month. which is a big deal because the run/pass ratio they have is like 5/95.. I actually like seeing a tough schedule for a team making the transition. I would rather a team get experience against a good team then confidence against a bad team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:41 am

baseball wrote:Texas Tech's starting RB might be able to play in the game....out with injury for a month. which is a big deal because the run/pass ratio they have is like 5/95.. I actually like seeing a tough schedule for a team making the transition. I would rather a team get experience against a good team then confidence against a bad team.

Probably isn't much reason to risk re-injury in this game. I doubt he plays unless he's close to 100%

If you lose 60-6 are you really getting good experience? The only reason UND is playing them is $$$.
They're not local, so its not like you're going to get a bunch of Sioux fans to make the trip.

Rodgers4ever - please follow the rules so you don't get this thread locked.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14 am

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:Texas Tech's starting RB might be able to play in the game....out with injury for a month. which is a big deal because the run/pass ratio they have is like 5/95.. I actually like seeing a tough schedule for a team making the transition. I would rather a team get experience against a good team then confidence against a bad team.

Probably isn't much reason to risk re-injury in this game. I doubt he plays unless he's close to 100%

If you lose 60-6 are you really getting good experience? The only reason UND is playing them is $$$.
They're not local, so its not like you're going to get a bunch of Sioux fans to make the trip.

Rodgers4ever - please follow the rules so you don't get this thread locked.

if you were a player for UND...would you rather play Texas Tech or Univ of Sioux falls? NDSU is doing the same thing by making a trip to Lawrence to play Kansas. And i can tell you from looking on a KU message board that after last march, the last name they want to see on a schedule is North Dakota St., even i fit is football
Yes it is a good experience...even if you lose 60-6. you would get more knowledge about your team in a 60-6 loss against a major team then a 60-6 win against a scrub "confidence building" team. in the loss its obvious a lot of stuff didnt work and it helps the team realize what they need to work on. whereas in the blowout win you can basically do whatever you want and get away with it based on the difference in talent and athleticism. when even your mistakes turn out positive you dont think they are mistakes....so playing a higher level team that will exploit them mistakes is a great first game i think. and plus...there is always the chance to pull an Appalachian state type of upset and get national exposure you wouldnt get by playing a scrub NAIA school. NDSU did it when they beat Minnesota in football. They did it when they went into Wisconsin and snapped a 27 game home winning streak in basketball and again when they went and beat down Marquette on their own court when they were a Top 10 ranked team. Every bit of national exposure helps recruiting.

And then there are the kids....what kid from ND doesnt wanna go down to Texas, play against a D1 team where football is king, and have the possibility to show the country that ND kids can play too. Maybe trenbeath can have a tyler roehl type of game. 200 yds receiving 3tds..SportCenter top 10. its experience for the young kids...and a reward for the upper classman who paid their dues and are given a chance to play on a big stage. so yes..i think its a good experience, both from a team stand point, as well as a personal experience.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:34 am

I wasn't clear in my previous post. I think if would be better to schedule a FBS school that is at the bottom of a major conference or a team that isn't from a major conference, than schedule an Oklahoma or a Texas where you are almost guaranteed to get beat badly. And please don't say b/c App. State did it UND can too. App. State and UND are not on the same level.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:28 am

Flip wrote:I wasn't clear in my previous post. I think if would be better to schedule a FBS school that is at the bottom of a major conference or a team that isn't from a major conference, than schedule an Oklahoma or a Texas where you are almost guaranteed to get beat badly. And please don't say b/c App. State did it UND can too. App. State and UND are not on the same level.

Was Appy st. on the same level as Michigan? Was Hampton on the same level as Iowa State? It's called an upset Flip...welcome to sports.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking09 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Rodgers4ever wrote:
Flip wrote:Sportsking09, nice to see you back. Care to comment on UND scheduling a NAIA team?

Flip, their a powerhouse defending their undefeated national championship. Its better they play them than some pathetic team like Wagner College which NDSU is playing

Yes it is good to be back and yes i do care to comment on UND scheduling an NAIA team. Althought roders4ever pretty much put you in ur place, i will add to it. The team UND scheduled, Sioux Falls, has won the NAIA national championship for the past 3 years and is in the middle of transitioning to division 2, where as some other college in north dakota schedules NAIA teams such as montana tech. and wagner college, both of which are pathetic and going no were. Now back to the topic of the sioux-texas tech game, i also agree that it will be a very good experience booster, and i also agree that it will give UND the opportunity to see their mistakes after they are exposed by texas tech. bottom line for UND is if they keep scheduling these D-1-A colleges, their level of competing will be well above other teams that choose to take the safe and easy way out by scheduling scrub teams that they have a guarunteed win over. In the end, sure UND will get killed, but its going to be a good thing financially and athletically(in an educational sense) for UND.
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:11 pm

baseball wrote:Was Appy st. on the same level as Michigan? Was Hampton on the same level as Iowa State? It's called an upset Flip...welcome to sports.

The best team in FCS is not that far from some of the better teams in FBS. The 50th best team in FCS is no where close to those same teams. You can't compare basketball to football either. Kentucky lost to a NAIA team a few years back.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 pm

sportsking09 wrote: bottom line for UND is if they keep scheduling these D-1-A colleges, their level of competing will be well above other teams that choose to take the safe and easy way out by scheduling scrub teams that they have a guarunteed win over.

Just because you have one FBS team on your schedule doesn't mean the rest of your schedule it tough and for some reason you think UND is the rare exception to scheduling and FBS school, this is no the case. Every team in the MVC has a FBS school on their schedule and 8 out 9 in the Big Sky have one scheduled. So UND is not gaining some invaluable experience other FCS teams aren't.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:Was Appy st. on the same level as Michigan? Was Hampton on the same level as Iowa State? It's called an upset Flip...welcome to sports.

The best team in FCS is not that far from some of the better teams in FBS. The 50th best team in FCS is no where close to those same teams. You can't compare basketball to football either. Kentucky lost to a NAIA team a few years back.

why can't I use basketball and football when comparing upsets? A team is said they don't even belong on the same court/field as the other team so they go out and play with nothing to lose. If they lose, ok they were supposed to get pounded. If they win, be ready for the national media. and its not like Texas Tech is the same team they were last year...they will still be a good team, no doubt, but they lost their all-american WR and should-have-been heisman finalist at QB. they have plenty of holes to fill and will be far from "gelling" on the first game of the year. If there was ever a perfect time for UND to play a big name FBS, it's Texas Tech right now. RB not healthy, new QB, only one player back with more than 35 catches last year.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonslayer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 pm

UND have to many questions on offense to even think about pulling off an upset. A new quarterback, with new wide receivers, and a new running back. Things are very green on offense and they will struggle.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Lost to an NAIA school???? There is no reason for them to have lost that game today especially at home. Hopefully they can get things together and end the rest of the season on a good note.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:09 am

I think your prediction of a 4-7 season is gonna be correct
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:45 am

ndfan wrote:Lost to an NAIA school???? There is no reason for them to have lost that game today especially at home. Hopefully they can get things together and end the rest of the season on a good note.

if its any consolation that NAIA school had a 20 game winning streak going into the game, hahaha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:19 pm

baseball wrote:
ndfan wrote:Lost to an NAIA school???? There is no reason for them to have lost that game today especially at home. Hopefully they can get things together and end the rest of the season on a good note.

if its any consolation that NAIA school had a 20 game winning streak going into the game, hahaha

Ha yeah. Sioux Falls is a powerhouse NAIA school but still. UND still should have one.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonslayer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:28 am

duke_boy90 wrote:
baseball wrote:

Ha yeah. Sioux Falls is a powerhouse NAIA school but still. UND still should have one.

UND has transition D1 athletes where as Sioux Falls is NAIA powerhouse that gets a lot of good talent and has a had solid core for a few years. The sioux were using there 3rd and 4th string running backs . I would say the level of talent is pretty close. Except Sioux Falls quarterback was unreal and above anyone the sioux has. He was running around looking like a NAIA Michael Vick in his prime. This isn't a shocker by any means.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:07 am

bisonslayer wrote:UND has transition D1 athletes where as Sioux Falls is NAIA powerhouse that gets a lot of good talent and has a had solid core for a few years. The sioux were using there 3rd and 4th string running backs . I would say the level of talent is pretty close. Except Sioux Falls quarterback was unreal and above anyone the sioux has. He was running around looking like a NAIA Michael Vick in his prime. This isn't a shocker by any means.

I remember how much NDSU stunk during their transition period, and they're much better since becoming full FCS. I can see how Sioux Falls would have all the talent because they are a powerhouse and UND hasn't competed for anything nationally in forever.

Seriously, I saw this coming and was very excited to watch Sioux Falls control UND. I personally don't care for UND or NDSU outside of Sioux hockey anymore. UND still should have won transition or no. They have all of the inherent advantages including a much bigger pool of scholarship players.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:04 pm

I think this is one of the biggest upsets in the history of North Dakota sports....seriously....NAIA has a scholarship limit of 24....Division 1 AA schools have a scholarship limit of 64....that's almost a 3 to 1 advantage. It's not like UND competed in this game either...they got dismantled by an NAIA school...I am by no means bashing UND with this post...but if I were the athletic director I would be seriously considering "cleaning house".
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

bisonslayer wrote:
duke_boy90 wrote:
baseball wrote:

UND has transition D1 athletes where as Sioux Falls is NAIA powerhouse that gets a lot of good talent and has a had solid core for a few years. The sioux were using there 3rd and 4th string running backs . I would say the level of talent is pretty close. Except Sioux Falls quarterback was unreal and above anyone the sioux has. He was running around looking like a NAIA Michael Vick in his prime. This isn't a shocker by any means.

I agree with you on this one. The SF qb was a clone of what I do in Madden. Can't find anyone to throw it to...just scramble for a first down.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges