NDSCS vs LRSC

No smack talk is allowed here.

NDSCS vs LRSC

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:09 am

Wife and I made the trip to Devils Lake yesterday afternoon to watch the games. Pretty good crowd last night for LRSC. Roads were terrible coming home...when will this end?

Ladies Game: LRSC dominated, but I don't think they played the best they could play. I believe NDSCS has to come up to WSC on Sunday to see who plays LRSC next Wed. Wife and I will probably try and make that trip as well.

Men's Game: Even if Travis Mertens was still with LRSC, I don't think they would have beat NDSCS. As I had said before, NDSCS's test will be the game to get to Nationals. McKeither was in perfect form not only working the inside, but left out alone on the 3 pt line and those were nothing but net.

Here is my big soapbox....NDSCS coach didn't play our ND kids until a large lead was established. Rumor I heard at the game was that he is already recruiting from Iowa and Illinois and will only have a couple of local ND/MN kids on the roster.

If my son was a good player here in ND, I would have a hard time encouraging NDSCS based on the opinion that this new coach is going to go outside the state to find players...but that is just my humble opinion.

Hopefully the weather cooperates for Sunday's games.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Re: NDSCS vs LRSC

Postby bballfan7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:48 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:Wife and I made the trip to Devils Lake yesterday afternoon to watch the games. Pretty good crowd last night for LRSC. Roads were terrible coming home...when will this end?

Ladies Game: LRSC dominated, but I don't think they played the best they could play. I believe NDSCS has to come up to WSC on Sunday to see who plays LRSC next Wed. Wife and I will probably try and make that trip as well.

Men's Game: Even if Travis Mertens was still with LRSC, I don't think they would have beat NDSCS. As I had said before, NDSCS's test will be the game to get to Nationals. McKeither was in perfect form not only working the inside, but left out alone on the 3 pt line and those were nothing but net.

Here is my big soapbox....NDSCS coach didn't play our ND kids until a large lead was established. Rumor I heard at the game was that he is already recruiting from Iowa and Illinois and will only have a couple of local ND/MN kids on the roster.

Same way with the football team. Very few football players from ND and most that are from MN are from the Cities.

If my son was a good player here in ND, I would have a hard time encouraging NDSCS based on the opinion that this new coach is going to go outside the state to find players...but that is just my humble opinion.

Hopefully the weather cooperates for Sunday's games.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:Here is my big soapbox....NDSCS coach didn't play our ND kids until a large lead was established. Rumor I heard at the game was that he is already recruiting from Iowa and Illinois and will only have a couple of local ND/MN kids on the roster.

Whats wrong with a coach recruiting out of state? its not like hes trying to keep a job by winning games with the best players he can find...i hate when coaches recruit to win.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Whats wrong with a coach recruiting out of state?

IMHO recruiting out of state is fine and even out of the country if need be. the key word is "if need be". If I am looking for a strong post and have the possibility of one right here in ND, then why go out of state? It appears to me that guys like Hunter Berg go after top notch ND/eastern MT kids first. From what I understood last night the coach at NDSCS is looking out of state first.

At the Juco level people come to see ND players. I go to WSC to watch guys like the Packineau's or Luke Martinez or Shaun Knife at Bott or any of the 10 ND players at BSC. We went over to LRSC to watch players like Nicole Wells, Callie Erickson, and Stensgurd.

That is what the crowd is based on. Why drive all the way up to WSC if I can't see local talent? What is the enticement to go to a NDSCS game? I can watch guys like McKeither on ESPN any day of the week. I am not even WSC alumni...BSC and NDSU grad.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:34 pm

there's a difference between watching guys like him every day on ESPN, but its more impressive when you see it in person. coming from a class B town, when i went to a few D-1 games, it takes being there in person to really understand how much faster the game is played.

"Men's Game: Even if Travis Mertens was still with LRSC, I don't think they would have beat NDSCS. As I had said before, NDSCS's test will be the game to get to Nationals."

apparently the coach is doing his job. i dont know how familiar you are with college basketball and/or the recruiting process....but coaches go after kids and ask themselves "can this kid help us win games?". not "will this kid help us bring in local fans?" they recruit for the program's success...no your (the fan's) happiness. I would love to see one question asked to every college coach there is..."would you rather go undefeated and win a national championship with just a few hundred fans at your games, or play in front of 10,000 people every game but go 4-23?" I know if i was a kid i would want to get recruited because the coach believes that i can help them win and be a good player....not because im from North Dakota and im an in-state player.

I know I would rather drive 3 hours to watch good basketball over driving 3 hours to watch local kids just because thats all thats recruited. I know no money is "legally" given to recruits and parents and whatever...but college basketball is a business there big guy. if your a head coach and you dont win...you wont be employeed very long
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:55 pm

My opinion is that it's way too early to pass judgment on a coaches recruiting when it's his first year and you only have rumors to go off of. baseball is right about one thing, he was hired to win games, and that's what he is doing well already. If I'm not mistaken the guy is known well nationally as an excellent recruiter, one of the reasons he got the job. So it would be natural to think he will tap into those connections he already has.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:31 pm

i dont know how familiar you are with college basketball

at the Juco level, very familiar. There are behind the scene politics you have to play at the juco level you don't at the other levels.

I guess I am in the minority. I had more fun watching Kramer and Mauch (Wahpeton natives) play than watching McKeither get his 24 pts.

NDSportsfan is correct. It is too early to start to criticize coaches on recruiting when we don't even know who has signed yet. Maybe the coach at NDSCS will make me eat crow. Let's hope so!!
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan7 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 pm

NDSCS won last night by around 10-12 points but were up by more than 20 with 4 minutes to go.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges