Mauch going to NDSCS

No smack talk is allowed here.

Mauch going to NDSCS

Postby point/center » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:22 am

Mauch to play two sports at NDSCS

By Kristin Anderson, Daily News

Jamie Mauch won’t be going too far next season. The Hankinson star athlete has verbally committed to play both football and basketball next season at North Dakota State College of Science.

The choice was not a difficult one for Mauch. “I wanted to stay closer to home,” he said. With family around the area and a sister in Wahpeton, the thought of still being able to go home on the weekends and holidays was a major factor in the decision. “This is the closest place for me to start out,” he said. “It’s not so far that I can go back to my parents if I need help.”

Mauch considered several colleges, but no other would let him play two sports. Hankinson head basketball coach Mike Gaukler is confident in Mauch’s abilities to succeed at the next level. “He’s got skills to play at that level or above,” he said. Gaukler believes Mauch is a versatile player, one that can play different positions, has a good shooting range and the ability to handle the ball.

In addition to being a good athlete, Mauch gets things done in the classroom as well. “He’s a very good student, he does an impeccable job in the classroom,” Gaukler said.

Hankinson head football coach Jason Monilaws only has good things to say about Mauch. “He’s the most all-around talented kid I’ve had the privilege of working with,” he said. “He has some God-given skills that many people don’t have. They’re getting one of the premier athletes in the area.”

Though he’s optimistic, Mauch knows he will also face many challenges. Just living on his own is a major one. The fact that he will be playing under a new coach is another, as Wildcat’s head coach Craig Irwin will end his career at NDSCS after this season.

Mauch isn’t worried though. He has a good support system and knows whoever becomes his new coach will do well. “I’m confident they’ll bring in someone that knows what they’re doing,” he said.

The signing periods haven’t come yet, but Mauch knows he has already made the right choice. “It’ll be a good fit for me,” he said. Gaukler agrees. “I think they’re getting a good one.”
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges