LRSC and WSC last night

No smack talk is allowed here.

LRSC and WSC last night

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 am

Drove up to Williston to watch the games last night. Great games, but I want to give a shout out to our ND players who showed nothing but leadership, determination, and hard work.

For WSC women, Miller (Kenmare) twisted her ankle up about 30 seconds into the game. That was definitely a loss for them. Hard to see that happen right at the beginning of the game. Sundheim (Minot I think) had a very strong game. 4 treys in the second half if my book-keeping is right. For LRSC you gotta give Callie Hanson (Devils Lake) some kudos. The girl is playing with a broken nose, but goes after it like it is her last game. She might be the fastest gal I have seen. Her first step and she is already at full speed. Mertens (DL), Burtness (DL), Keller (Leeds) and Erickson (Fordville) also saw lots of playing time and looked very strong as well.

LRSC pretty much controlled this game from start to finish. WSC got some runs in, but in the second half it seemed the lady royals couldn't miss the bucket. Lady Royals win this one.

Men's game: Expected to see some big things out of Travis Mertens (DL). He played a terrible first half, but showed up for the second half. Still needs some work on the defensive end of his game. Darling (Leeds) played strong ball..seems like quite the competitor. Vader Vort (DL) got little time and Moe (Park River) never came off the bench. Moe is a surprise that he isn't seeing more time on the court. He is big, got some muscle; but I am not the coach nor am I at any practices. WSC= Love to watch those Packineau boys (New Town)! Neil had the first trey of the game and I kid you not he was in the parking lot when he shot that ball (nothing but net). I believe he finished with 16. Heier (Ray) shot the treys very well last night. Duchsherer (Minot) seemed to struggle last night, but played lots of minutes.

Royals were too much for WSC. Reffing was so-so. They missed some calls at both ends and didn't seem real consistant. Missed not seeing T.I. on the Royals side. Sad deal there.

Congrats to the ND men and women who all played a well fought game. Nice to see them on the floor and as leaders. (I also noticed Miller from Newtown and Paige Anderson from Watford City were in attendance) will WSC get them or were they there to watch the Royals????
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Re: LRSC and WSC last night

Postby cubsfan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:24 pm

I read in the paper this morning that Hunter Berg is going to become the new head women's coach for Williston State College.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:31 am

by cubsfan on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:24 pm

I read in the paper this morning that Hunter Berg is going to become the new head women's coach for Williston State College.

Must have been a typo. He is going to take over the Men's coaching position. He is already the women's coach and athletic director. So WSC will be looking for a women's coach come spring.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby MrFearing » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 pm

I was reading an article about Williston State's coach Terry Olson the other day. Olson, who has been the WSC coach for upwards of 25 years, is retiring after this season. They had quotes from the then athletic director that hired Olson. One said that the final two choices for the job were Olson, and Steve Miller, now coach at Bismarck High.

I wonder how that would have shifted both teams' history since then.
MrFearing

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 am

Well WSC men's team got their revenge last night in the Devils Lake Sportscenter. (yawn) dang that is a tough drive at 10:15 at night. Never thought I would ever see the farm again, but alas around 2am she showed up in the lights of my truck.

Women's Game: LRSC just has too many tools and WSC just can't match up against them. I feel for Hunter he has his point guard sitting on the sidelines with a stretched ankle. Adams never really got into the rythm. LRSC is a fun and exciting team to watch. Lots of local talent there and it seems all the girls can contribute which makes matching up a disaster. Since Miles City has beat them 3 times, they must have found a way to match up against LRSC.

Men's Game: Well you can't start a game off any hotter than WSC did last night. 22 to 5 and LRSC has burned 3 timeouts in about 6 minutes of ball. Mitchell couldn't miss if his life depended on it. Packineau's were in fine form as well. I am surprised how weak WSC big men are. Matt Heier had a strong 3 point attack as well. I think Neil took a 3 from between the 3point line and half court and it never touched the rim...nothing but net. That guy can shoot the lights out. Gotta give a little credit to LRSC. They made a good attempt to try and put a damper on a big stretch, but 13 was the closests I saw them get. They just looked out of rythm the entire night.

reffing IMHO was much worse than at WSC. The first half LRSC got screwed on quite a few calls. WSC got screwed on some calls in the second half.

March 5th these two teams meet again in Devils Lake for the regional championship. Winner goes to Ill. for a playoff game.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:14 pm

The 3rd meeting is under way right now, http://www.lrradioworks.com............ mondak championship game. Nathaniel Packineau is on fire right now, bringing them back in the game.....
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:10 pm

The 3rd meeting is under way right now, http://www.lrradioworks.com............ mondak championship game. Nathaniel Packineau is on fire right now, bringing them back in the game.....

Unfortunately the two dunks by Lalovich and Mertens put WSC in a world of hurt.

I attended the game in Devils Lake. Nice crowd. WSC women just couldn't compete with LRSC. They just have too many tools.

The men's game was a barn burner. Nathaniel Pack. had a 3 pointer 4 feet behind the arc (I was sitting right there where he took the shot). Mertens played extremely strong. LRSC just defended well and WSC just didn't show up for the second half (dominated first half).

You gotta give LRSC some credit here. They are extremely athletic and after the first half you would have thought LRSC was behind by 20, but low and behold they were 5 points down. They did that when they came over to WSC as well. They hang in there even though they are getting beat and once they get rolling it is too hard to stop them.

Congrats to both teams on a great ballgame. Your region 13 champions are the LRSC Royals and Lady Royals. I believe the men leave for Iowa and the women host some team from Ill.

This was also Terry Olson's last game. Hunter Berg will take the men's coaching position.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND_SportsNut » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:23 pm

The games on Wednesday had a really exciting atmosphere and were great to watch. I really hope that LR can go down to Indian Hills CC in Iowa on March 11th and punch there ticket to the national tournament in Hutchinson, KS. Travis Mertens has been a lot of fun to watch at LR, he is far stronger and can jump higher than he ever could in HS and hopefully is gonna go on to someplace good, he really recharged the LRSC program and got the community behind the college as well.
ND_SportsNut

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:55 pm

LRSC girls are on their way to Salina, Kansas this weekend. Not sure when they'll play, I'd expect it to be early next week. They played a good game last nite, especially the second half. Good luck to them at Nationals.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:20 am

Natural: I listened to the game over here and that Coach Schwab seems to really know his basketball. It also appeared that many times throughout the ball game there was not a sophomore on the floor and it was 5 freshman leading the crew (I guess I didn't notice it when I watched them play WSC). That is huge if all of those key freshman return next year.

I think they were in Salina about 3 years ago if I am not mistaken.

The doors of opportunity for these young women to play after LRSC just opened up significantly.

I also noticed the LRSC men's team lost pretty bad to Indian Hills (tough loss). It is amazing how high the level is in juco ball.

Good luck to the Lady Royals as they represent ND at Nationals in Salina.
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:I think they were in Salina about 3 years ago if I am not mistaken.

They were there 2 years ago, missed out last year.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges