NDSU Football vs UND Hockey

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby Ming01 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:44 am

I had this argument with some ppl about which athletic department brings in more $$ to their own respected universities...  NDSU football or UND Hockey.  I would def. say NDSU football.  Just look at ticket sales, donations, recruiting, plus they get money to play bigger schools.  Football just generates more money. Period. I dont care which school you're at. There are some other benefactors too.  What are everyone else's thoughts/opinions?
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby klg_11 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 am

Ming01 wrote:I had this argument with some ppl about which athletic department brings in more $$ to their own respected universities...  NDSU football or UND Hockey.  I would def. say NDSU football.  Just look at ticket sales, donations, recruiting, plus they get money to play bigger schools.  Football just generates more money. Period. I dont care which school you're at. There are some other benefactors too.  What are everyone else's thoughts/opinions?

i have a feeling this argument is gonna go no where because i would definetly have to say UND hockey, UND hockey is a much more recognized sport throughout the country
klg_11

Postby rep » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:30 am

depends on if you consider the ralph being given to und for hockey...can't really make that same argument with the fargodome for ndsu football. all in all, i'd say that building alone would tip the scales in und's favor.

if you don't count that, huh, i don't know. football makes quite a bit of money, probably more so to a 'general fan' but und hockey, and hockey in general has a really really dedicated fan base.
rep

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:03 pm

I dont even think that this is a contest. UND Hockey by far wins. Yes NDSU football brings in money but not near what UND does. UND hockey is recognized nationwide for excellence
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Chris Hansen, Dateline NB » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:27 pm

If you're just talking about who brings in more money, I'd assume UND hockey since the college hockey season's pretty much twice as long as the college football season and there are many more games being played, and the Ralph sells a lot of tickets for every game.

I had a similar discussion with a friend except it was regarding which was the "main event" in North Dakota.... I would say UND hockey hands down.  It has competed on a division I level for a very long time, 7 national titles, 5 time national runners-up, not to mention all the UND players that are now in the NHL. 
You're with me, leather
Chris Hansen, Dateline NB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:37 pm

Chris Hansen, Dateline NBC wrote:If you're just talking about who brings in more money, I'd assume UND hockey since the college hockey season's pretty much twice as long as the college football season and there are many more games being played, and the Ralph sells a lot of tickets for every game.

I had a similar discussion with a friend except it was regarding which was the "main event" in North Dakota.... I would say UND hockey hands down.  It has competed on a division I level for a very long time, 7 national titles, 5 time national runners-up, not to mention all the UND players that are now in the NHL. 

I agree, they have been in the spotlight for a very long time and have proven themselves to be an elite team year in and year out. The Ralph is sold out for all the games and there is nothing more fun than watching a UND hockey game at the ralph
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FargoBison » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:53 pm

[quote][/quote]UND hockey and NDSU football pretty much no difference in following, they are both probably the biggest shows in the state. As for what makes more, it is hockey in a landslide, NDSU football most likely makes more per game but there are only 5 or 6 per year.
Last edited by FargoBison on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FargoBison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm

FargoBison wrote:
UND hockey and NDSU football pretty much no difference in following, they are both probably the biggest shows in the state. As for what makes more, it is hockey in a landslide, NDSU football most likely makes more per game but there are only 5 or 6 per year.

i have never been to a Bison game, how many people typically go to a game and how much are the tickets

Last edited by Roughrider on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FargoBison » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:03 pm

Roughrider wrote:
FargoBison wrote:
UND hockey and NDSU football pretty much no difference in following, they are both probably the biggest shows in the state. As for what makes more, it is hockey in a landslide, NDSU football most likely makes more per game but there are only 5 or 6 per year.

i have never been to a Bison game, how many people typically go to a game and how much are the tickets

Around 16k per game, as for how much tickets cost I am not sure...maybe 10 for the cheap seats and 25 for the better seats. I am a student so I get tickets for free and before that my dad had season tickets so I am probably not the best person to ask.
Last edited by FargoBison on Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FargoBison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:05 pm

UND hockey has about 12,000 per game and the regular tickets are $25 a piece and the Student tickets are like $7 a piece. UND brings in a lot for a game
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FargoBison » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:14 pm

Now that I think about it they probably make close to the same for a home game, considering NDSU football averages about 3000 students per home game.
FargoBison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:52 pm

I would have to disagree with most of you.  Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't NDSU football help pay for like every other department of the school, not just sports?  Another example for this is scholarships, football has the most scholarships than any other college sport.  Plus NDSU gets payed for just about every road game. That's just the way it is.  For now, I have to say it's NDSU.
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:32 pm

[user=93]Ming01[/user] wrote:
I had this argument with some ppl about which athletic department brings in more $$ to their own respected universities...  NDSU football or UND Hockey.  I would def. say NDSU football.  Just look at ticket sales, donations, recruiting, plus they get money to play bigger schools.  Football just generates more money. Period. I dont care which school you're at. There are some other benefactors too.  What are everyone else's thoughts/opinions?

With out seeing any numbers I'd have to go with UND hockey.

Ticket Sales- Bison get more fans per game but UND has more games at home which I would think brings in more money for UND.

Donations- The Ralph itself was a pretty big donation, 100 mil itself. How long does it take NDSU football to generate that much money itself?

Recruiting- UND brings in the best players in the country, plenty of first round draft picks (Towes, Oshie, Finley, Lee). I'm sure its not cheap to keep those guys around.

Your also right that NDSU gets a good chunk of money for playing bigger schools. But UND is the big dog in there sport they don't have too get paid big money to get on a big schools schedule just to fill a spot on the schedule.

TV wise UND is shown regionally for all home games that has to bring in some money? What does NDSU generate tv wise?

I love NDSU football and no way ripping on it, I have no ties to either school. I just think UND hockey is the big money producer still. Maybe someday they can pass it but for now I don't think so.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:00 pm

Chris Hansen, Dateline NBC wrote:If you're just talking about who brings in more money, I'd assume UND hockey since the college hockey season's pretty much twice as long as the college football season and there are many more games being played, and the Ralph sells a lot of tickets for every game.

I have to think NDSU football brings in more money for games. With hockey having more games, hockey would have a larger gross.
Last edited by Ming01 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Spanky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:52 pm

I know that there a lot of students going to NDSU games but I'm pretty sure they get tickets for free or close to it so that doesn't help at all. I know for a fact that students at UND don't get tickets for free so that helps them with revenue.
Spanky
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:29 pm

I would think that the financial losses incurred by the womens hockey team would offset a large amount of the revenue from the mens team.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:52 pm

[user=1]NDSportsFan[/user] wrote:
 I would think that the financial losses incurred by the womens hockey team would offset a large amount of the revenue from the mens team.

Don't get me started on that topic, if there is one sport at UND i can't stand its women's hockey. Thats all i will say.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby brownbomber » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Going to the Frozen Four last week, i can tell you that their are alot of UND Hockey fans across the country
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:43 pm

[user=20]ndfan[/user] wrote:
[user=1]NDSportsFan[/user] wrote:

Don't get me started on that topic, if there is one sport at UND i can't stand its women's hockey. Thats all i will say.

my friend is part of the sioux crew at UND and he has to go to almost all sporting events he says the girls hockey program probably costs them more than they make(exaggeration obviously) but the only people in the stands are parents and the occasional b/f or g/f
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Chris Hansen, Dateline NB » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:18 am

ndfan wrote:[user=1]NDSportsFan[/user] wrote:
�I would think that the financial losses incurred by the womens hockey team would offset a large amount of the revenue from the mens team.

Not to mention the fact that they're absolutely terrible, too.
You're with me, leather
Chris Hansen, Dateline NB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:03 pm

in case anybody wants to check it out my friend and I did a post on ndsu/und.  talking about revenue/athletics.  so check it out if you want:

http://thesportsflow.blogspot.com/
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:34 pm

[user=93]Ming01[/user] wrote:
in case anybody wants to check it out my friend and I did a post on ndsu/und.  talking about revenue/athletics.  so check it out if you want:

You guys did a nice job on it, the one thing I would like to see is some actual numbers on different programs and what they make. Anybody able to find or get the info?? Any nice job with and keep up the good work.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=93]Ming01[/user] wrote:
in case anybody wants to check it out my friend and I did a post on ndsu/und.? talking about revenue/athletics.? so check it out if you want:

You guys did a nice job on it, the one thing I would like to see is some actual numbers on different programs and what they make. Anybody able to find or get the info?? Any nice job with and keep up the good work.

I looked it up after seeing this topic and I remember seeing UND making $1.8 million revenue yearly in 2002. I am sure it is up a bit now.  Probably somewhere between 2.0 and 2.5 million.  I doubt it went up a significant amount.  And I remember seeing on a NDSU message board that the football team in 2005 made around 2.2 million.  I am sure that is way up now after a impressive 06 season.  If I had to guess I would say somewhere between 2.5 million and 3.5 million.
Last edited by baseball18 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 am

Just in ticket sales alone, UND hockey brings in $4million+ 

Add in Sioux club dues, suite reservations, concessions, tv rights, merchandise sales, etc.  It would be much higher.

NDSU football I would guess brings in about $1.6 million in ticket sales, then add in suites, club dues, concessions, tv rights, etc.

If we start throwing expenses into this, it gets harder to calculate.  the hockey program SPENDS BIG $$$, but it's also expensive providing equipment, etc. for 85 guys vs. 25 on a hockey roster.  Football has more coaches/assistants to pay. 

NDSU football could eventually come close to matching Sioux men's hockey in revenues if they can keep Craig Bohl around long enough to get the program in the upper level of I-AA football.  Unless they can eventually get a big-time bowl game (which i don't see happening anytime soon) it will be hard to surpass the hockey program in Grand Forks.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:37 am

hoop_fan1 wrote:Just in ticket sales alone, UND hockey brings in $4million+ 

Add in Sioux club dues, suite reservations, concessions, tv rights, merchandise sales, etc.  It would be much higher.

NDSU football I would guess brings in about $1.6 million in ticket sales, then add in suites, club dues, concessions, tv rights, etc.

If we start throwing expenses into this, it gets harder to calculate.  the hockey program SPENDS BIG $$$, but it's also expensive providing equipment, etc. for 85 guys vs. 25 on a hockey roster.  Football has more coaches/assistants to pay. 

NDSU football could eventually come close to matching Sioux men's hockey in revenues if they can keep Craig Bohl around long enough to get the program in the upper level of I-AA football.  Unless they can eventually get a big-time bowl game (which i don't see happening anytime soon) it will be hard to surpass the hockey program in Grand Forks.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3
This shows that UND mens sports combined except bball and football make $3,005, 723.  So who knows how much hockey makes.  But prolly a little over $2 million.  But this is for 2005-2006.

Two games alone (Ball St. and Minnesota) got the Bison $800,000.  Plus add ticket sales, merchandise, advertising/sponsorships.  Plus I am pretty sure they get around $1 million, maybe even a little more for broadcasting. Most of the scholarships are payed for by donations anyways.  And with all of that NDSU def. makes more than $2 million revenue annually.  I have to agree with Baseball18 and say they make around $2.5 million-3.5 million annually.  Especially with an impressive 06 season.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges