DAC Basketball

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Saw Mayville men play NDSU and Moorhead last week, I don't think they are as good as they have been the last couple years but they should be a contender in the DAC. Haven't seen the women play yet but i've heard they live and die by the 3???
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:43 pm

dac women's basketball does not exist to me this year because janel huber is redshirted...once she starts playing again i will acknowledge women's dac basketball...but not until then
rep

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:56 am

I attend Mayville State...and I've seen quite a few games by each team.....the women are really improved....they have a D1 transfer from USF....they have a really athletic and strong post....quick guards.....but yes they live and die by the three.....the men on the other hand should be really tough (provided that Ron Howard comes back) monty rogers is really tough....AP is a great three shooter and if he gets hot there's no stopping him.....I'm predicting a sweep by the comets in 2006-2007
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:45 am

i don't think the comets men will end up higher that third. stenjem and ap are so inconsistent.they are a very good team, i'm don't think their is good as last year's team. no one to control the pace of the game, but still an extremely athletic team.
PA42

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:33 pm

Dickinson State men's coach has managed to recruit them out of contention for the DAC title and to alienate a community that bleeds Blue.  I hope that this is his last year.  They have zero loacal flavor.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:13 pm

An interesting side note from the women's game......the game was stopped for a short time during the second half so the ref's could go and talk to some people who screamed "TWINKIE" when the center for DSU was shooting free throws.....I've heard alot worse things come out of some fan's mouth's that havent stopped the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby vballfan06 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:17 am

I've watched enough Dickinson St basketball this year to make a person wanna puke. It's just absolutely terrible.  Like was said, the men have absolutely no one local (and Dickinson has had some pretty tight ball clubs between DHS and Trinity lately), have a subpar season, and people seem to just be fed up with it.

As for the women----all I can say is, it IS better than last year. At least they work their tails off. Granted, they shoot worse then my grandma on the farm on a blustery day...but they do work hard.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:39 pm

I think that the Dac is in a down year.  The Mayville State men are going to win the Dac at they are one of the most inconsistent teams in the nation.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:40 pm

[user=1043]cubsfan[/user] wrote:
I think that the Dac is in a down year.  The Mayville State men are going to win the Dac at they are one of the most inconsistent teams in the nation.

Can't disagree with you on that, Mayville's team this year is not even close to as good as some of there past teams.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 am

Mayville's team isn't better than last years team, but that's about it.  Two years ago they weren't that great but two teams from the DAC were automatically in the National Tourney.  Other wise this is the 2nd best Mayville team in the last 10 years. 
sportsguy

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 am

Hey now MSU had some pretty good teams in 96-97 season as well as the following year.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:59 pm

well scott berry is done...always seemed like a nice guy, but i gotta say, good riddance. that program has gone downhill with great speed.

i'm curious who the hawks try to bring in to replace him?
rep

Postby cubsfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:46 pm

sportsguy wrote:Mayville's team isn't better than last years team, but that's about it.  Two years ago they weren't that great but two teams from the DAC were automatically in the National Tourney.  Other wise this is the 2nd best Mayville team in the last 10 years. 

Mayville's team two year's ago was a lot better than the team that they had this year.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsguy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Mayville's team two years ago may have been a better "team", but they were no where near as talented as this years team.  Ronald Howard and Monty Rogers alone make this team way more talented than two years ago. 
sportsguy

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:33 am

Alex Anthis is one of the best basketball players to ever come to Mayville State.  He is more talented than anyone on this year's team.  And Gilby Sanchez is just as talented if not even more talented than Ron.  Chris Reinhart barely played back then and he starts now.  I also forgot to mention John Feggo, he is a really good basketball player.  The only reason Mayville State won the Dac this year is because the Dac was absolutely horrible this year. 
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsguy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:28 am

Alex Anthis was a solid player, definetly not better than Ronald Howard.  John Feggo was a solid player not better than Tremel Gilot and Chris Reinhart was a sophomore on that team.  The Best thing that happened to Mayville that year was Anthis leaving because it allowed other guys who were better like - Sanchez, Howard, Rogers, Whiterspoon to get more shots.  To me the league was worse that year than it is this year.  At least this year you have 5 teams that were solid and a scary Dickinson State team at times.  Then you had Minot winning it fairly handly and an ok Dakota State Team and a Mayville team that peaked towards the end of the year.
sportsguy

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:23 am

John Feggo is ten times better then Tremel Gilot and Chris Reinhart.  Tremel Gilot does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as John Feggo. That year the Dac was a lot better than it was this year.  Valley City-who was the fourth seed this year-is absolutely terrible. 
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby deere » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:45 pm

well scott berry is done...always seemed like a nice guy, but i gotta say, good riddance. that program has gone downhill with great speed.

i'm curious who the hawks try to bring in to replace him?

what the heck are you talking about?
deere

Postby rep » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:13 pm

men's coach from dickinson state...scott berry is his name i think. said about a week prior to the dac tourney that he would step down after his team was done.
rep

Postby deere » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:16 pm

OH HAHA, i thought you were referring to mayvilles baseball coach scott berry....just got a little confused...my bad...
deere

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:55 pm

rep wrote:men's coach from dickinson state...scott berry is his name i think. said about a week prior to the dac tourney that he would step down after his team was done.

any money on a new coach? I'd think Guy Fridley might be a possiblity?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 pm

point/center wrote:
rep wrote:men's coach from dickinson state...scott berry is his name i think. said about a week prior to the dac tourney that he would step down after his team was done.

any money on a new coach? I'd think Guy Fridley might be a possiblity?

They have a list of candidates on the Dickinson Press web site under the blogs section. Guy Fridley said he would NOT take the guys job. I can't think off the top of my head who were some candidates. I know Jayden Olson was one of them though.
ndfbfan

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 pm

wow. Guy takes his name off...must be a good reason.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:39 pm

accoring to monke's blog, no

he lists the top candidates as:

1. Matt Sevareid - The Jamestown College assistant men's basketball coach is reportedly applying for the job. I don't know much about him, but have heard good things. He played for Northern State and was a Grad assistant there and then spent a year at Gonzaga as a "video coordinator/administrative assistant." He's pretty young, but DSU is apparently very interested in him. Learning under JC coach Jeff Trumbauer isn't a bad thing either.

2. Steve Miller - The longtime Bismarck High coach is one of those guys fans love to ask about and would be giddy about seeing on the sidelines. He is a good friend of DSU Atheltic Director Roger Ternes and knows basketball in North Dakota. However, his only collegiate coaching experience is as a Grad assistant at UND. Moose would be a phenomenal N.D. recruiter. He knows everybody and has a great rapport with other coaches. So if they were to get him, you could expect to see a lot of ND boys on the Blue Hawks, which would make the administration and the fans extremely happy. But, I just don't see him making the jump when he has such a good thing going on with the Demons.

3. Craig Smith - The Mayville State coach was second in line for the job when DSU hired Berry. Ironically, Smith has acheived great success with the Comets. In his first season, he turned the Comets from a 1-win team into an NAIA National Tournament qualifier. Sound familiar? Well, the thing with Smith is, he kept it going. The Comets are 20-8 this season and are the top seed going into the DAC Tournament. Looking back, its plain to see the Blue Hawks may have some regrets about not hiring Smith. But, there's no saying they won't try to lure him to Dickinson again. Sure, it'd be a lateral move for Smith, but Mayville is not Dickinson. It's easier to recruit kids to Dickinson and there's more support (i.e. money to throw around).

4. Todd Koering - Just like Craig Smith before him, Koering is an NDSU assistant and another Tim Miles product who may have aspirations of becoming a head coach. He's 35 and has been an assistant at D-II Southwest Minnesota State too. Might not be a bad fit. And if he has anything to do with NDSU's phenomenal recruiting, the Hawks may want to look twice at him if he throws his name in the hat.

5. Jason Beschta - The assistant coach at MSU Moorhead. I know this guy from my college days and here's the only way I know how to describe him - the Southern Guy Fridley. He's personable, young and would be a great face for a program. He was a Grad assistant at Baylor during their year of bad luck. He's been at MSUM for the past few years. This guy is just the type of person you want to have as a head coach. He also played NAIA ball at Bryan College in Tennessee, so he's no stranger to how things work here.

6. Jayden Olson - He's just a Grad assistant at UND right now, but I've heard he's already making a name for himself as a recruiter. The son of Beulah coach Doug Olson, Jayden is also a DSU alum and was a captain on the men's basketball team. I dont know for sure how much time he has left as a Grad assistant and he may not be ready to be thrown in as a head coach right away, but he may be worth a look, just for the heck of it. UPDATE: He still has one year left at UND, so unfortunately, no Olson.

7. Lance Creech - Track coach Pete Stanton tipped me off to this DSU alum, who has coached Hastings College of the GPAC for the last four years. However, he's 39-80 in his time there, so don't expect too hard of a look at Creech. But he's still likely to apply.

8. Kris Korver - He's coached Northwestern College in Iowa the past seven years and has made them a perennial contender in the GPAC. He's an alum of the school he coaches at, so don't expect to woo him easily, but he's at least worth a phone call.

http://www.areavoices.com/monke/
rep

Postby sportsguy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:31 pm

cubsfan wrote:
sportsguy wrote:Mayville's team isn't better than last years team, but that's about it.  Two years ago they weren't that great but two teams from the DAC were automatically in the National Tourney.  Other wise this is the 2nd best Mayville team in the last 10 years. 

Mayville's team two year's ago was a lot better than the team that they had this year.

Mayville in the title game, do you still think they were better two years ago?  I think I might be right on this one.

sportsguy

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges