Mayville State Men's Basketball

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:43 am

When is that MSU/NDSU game? I would like to attend and think it could be quite a show! I'm assuming it's at NDSU?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:59 am

While browsing through Mayville states athletic site I was sorta shocked to see they have a Mens soccer team!  (at Mayville?)  Interesting, they have a definetly foreign flavor, could be of interest to local soccer fans.  The basketball team has back-to-back games against Dickinson and Minot this weekend, it looks like.  Good luck to them.  It think they'll battle against NDSU, should be a spirited contest.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:27 am

Yep Mayville does indeed have a soccer team.

Anyone planning to attend the NDSU vs. Mayville game?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:04 pm

Mayville State will make the national tournament even if they dont win the conference tournament they are ranked in the top 10, they just need to have a strong showing in the tournament. They lost to Minot last year in the conference title game and still made it. They should win it this year. If they are any better then last year, then its a heck of a team i saw them play alot last year and they had a heck of a team last year.

I wouldn't be shocked if MaSU beat NDSU but im not going to say they will, if MaSU plays well they will give them a game thats for sure. But thats not what NDSU would need after beating a top 15 wisconsin team. I will be attending that game because i have yet to see either of them play this year and both have done extremley well.

Yeah they have men and womens soccer which im not a big fan of. I'm not sure how good the teams are and im not ripping the players. I just dont understand why they added soccer. They have a hard enough time supporting some of there other sports like football money wise. It seems like they just wanna get a few extra student athletes in there and not care if they are competitive or not.

Another thing to watch for is the coaching matchup between Tim Miles and Craig Smith. Tim Miles was MaSU head coach and was very successful before taking NDSU job, I believe Smith was an assistant coach under Miles at NDSU before taking MaSU job. Coach Miles will be a hot commodity for other D-1 schools in the next couple years wouldnt be suprised if he goes somewhere else, If he does I wouldnt be suprised at all if NDSU hires Craig Smith to take over for him and they would be stupid not too.

Sorry if thats long, i had to put a nickel in today

:D
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:19 am

Mayville lost to Minot by 8 points last night, what do the standings look like in the DAC? Still looks like Minot has Mayvilles number right now, looks like a DAC championship for Mayville will still have to go through Minot.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:38 am

Mayville was playing two conference road games on back to back nights.   They are probably still the best team right now,  but nothing is ever certain in sports.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:10 am

They have Valley City tonight and @ NDSU Friday night. I will be attending the NDSU game I think it could be a good one if Mayville brings its A game. I don't think they should have any problems with Valley City. But it is a rivalry game so anything could happen. Anyway how does everyone think they will do against the Bison?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:29 am

I'm hoping for a great game as I think I will be in attendance as well. As much as I think it would be interesting to see the press if Mayville beat NDSU, I'll still go ahead and pick the Bison by 5 in a barn-burner!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:45 pm

Did Mayville bring their "A" game?  Sounds like the Bison were just too much inside, but that could be wrong.  What did you guys think?  As an NDSU alum, I didn't want to get too cocky, that would have been wrong.  Mayville and coach Smith should still do well.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:28 am

I never did make it to the game (good ol' ND weather!). I think SCC's synopsis probably nailed it on the head. At least there is some exciting college basketball games for the fans of ND! MaSU will be fine I suspect.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:02 am

Yep NDSU just showed they were a better team, NDSU has a lot of young talent and will only improve every year. It's not the end of the world for MaSU nobody gave them a chance to win except maybe there fans. Now all they have to do is get ready for tournament time.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_SportsNut » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 am

NDSU 93   Mayville 67

UND 78    Mayville 86

GO BISON!
ND_SportsNut

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:35 am

Let's not get anything started.

NDSU - having unexpected early DI success

UND - struggling with some things in DII

Mayville - outstanding job by coaches and players in NAIA
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Mayville has split in the season series with Minot state.

I believe that Mayville has two remaining home games before the season, one of which is Black Hills. If Mayville wins the two homegames they will have home court advantage for the tournament!

Last year when Mayville made it to the national tournament despite winning the conference tournament it was because the conference had 10 teams, meaning 2 automatic berths to the National Tourny. One for the tournament champion (Minot) and one for the regular season champ (also Minot) since Minot won both the regular season and the tournament the Dac 10 was able to send the next highest placing team to Nationals from the Conference tournament (Mayville).

This year with Mary going d2 and Si Tanka closing its doors the DAC is down to 8 teams so they can only send one team to the tournament. That team will be the tournament champion of the conference. However there are also At Large bids for a few teams to the tournament. These go to some of the top 16 ranked teams in the country who don't get an automatic bid. Mayville has been consistently in the top 10 all season long. they, if ever, were only out of the top 10 for one poll. They have been at 9 for most of the season and as high as 7 in the poll.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Mayville St. just beat Black Hills St. 76-64.  I think BH St. was 2nd in the conference, but I could be wrong.  Either way, good job.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:44 pm

Congrats to the MaSU Mens Basketball team. When is the National Tournament and where is it played at?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:52 pm

Here's the roster of Daemen College.

http://www.daemen.edu/athletics/mbball/05roster.htm
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges