NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

No smack talk is allowed here.

NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Last year the Bison beat North Dakota at the FargoDome. Any predictions on this years game? The Bison are young and extremely athletic. Lawrence Alexander has played well as a freshman point guard. Dylan Hale and Mike Felt have played well at the shooting guard spot and both have very good touch from outside, especially Felt. Taylor Braun seems to be the emotional leader of this team. He excels playing outside and can also drive to the bucket. He also is big enough to go and play down low if needed. Trayvonn Wright is just an amazing athletic specimen. If he bulks up and gets his basketball IQ higher, watch out. Marshall Bjorklund is a very good young post presence for the Bison as well. Jordan Aaberg and Joel Lindberg along with Felt get a lot of time off the bench and play very well too. That being said, I don't know much about UND except that they are also young and athletic. Troy Huff is their leading scorer and best player from what I have heard. Webb, Brekke, Mitchell, and Anderson round out the starting 5. Any big UND fans care to evaluate them here for us? Anyway, I predict a Bison victory in what I hope is a very good game.
Hail the Bison!
User avatar
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Cass County

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 pm

gobison#6 wrote:Last year the Bison beat North Dakota at the FargoDome. Any predictions on this years game? The Bison are young and extremely athletic. Lawrence Alexander has played well as a freshman point guard. Dylan Hale and Mike Felt have played well at the shooting guard spot and both have very good touch from outside, especially Felt. Taylor Braun seems to be the emotional leader of this team. He excels playing outside and can also drive to the bucket. He also is big enough to go and play down low if needed. Trayvonn Wright is just an amazing athletic specimen. If he bulks up and gets his basketball IQ higher, watch out. Marshall Bjorklund is a very good young post presence for the Bison as well. Jordan Aaberg and Joel Lindberg along with Felt get a lot of time off the bench and play very well too. That being said, I don't know much about UND except that they are also young and athletic. Troy Huff is their leading scorer and best player from what I have heard. Webb, Brekke, Mitchell, and Anderson round out the starting 5. Any big UND fans care to evaluate them here for us? Anyway, I predict a Bison victory in what I hope is a very good game.


Dylan Hale is hurt...but it won't affect the outcome of the game. NDSU 88 UND 73
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10383
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Jan 14
NDSU coach Saul Phillips said it appears guard Dylan Hale (concussion) "should be ready to go tomorrow." via Jeff Kolpack's twitter. No idea if he actually played.

Bison should win, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost. This is UND's biggest game on the schedule, I'd imagine.
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Flip wrote:Jan 14
NDSU coach Saul Phillips said it appears guard Dylan Hale (concussion) "should be ready to go tomorrow." via Jeff Kolpack's twitter. No idea if he actually played.

Bison should win, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost. This is UND's biggest game on the schedule, I'd imagine.


Hale did not play agaist South Dakota on Saturday...Felt started instead. (Didn't need Hale anyways :) )

UND has a win over South Dakota State (and a loss)...and they also lost their big $$ maker game @ Nationally-Ranked Kansas over the Holiday Break.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10383
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby gobison#6 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:Jan 14
NDSU coach Saul Phillips said it appears guard Dylan Hale (concussion) "should be ready to go tomorrow." via Jeff Kolpack's twitter. No idea if he actually played.

Bison should win, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost. This is UND's biggest game on the schedule, I'd imagine.


Hale did not play agaist South Dakota on Saturday...Felt started instead. (Didn't need Hale anyways :) )

UND has a win over South Dakota State (and a loss)...and they also lost their big $$ maker game @ Nationally-Ranked Kansas over the Holiday Break.

Yeah, Hale sat out with his concussion against USD. It would be nice to have him for the game against UND tonight. Sure hope he is ready to go.
Hail the Bison!
User avatar
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Cass County

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby gobison#6 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:26 am

Well that was ugly basketball by NDSU. Didn't shoot well, rebound, hustle or play aggressively at all. UND came out and played with purpose. Props to UND on the victory.
Hail the Bison!
User avatar
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Cass County

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 am

I enjoyed watching the game on TV, expecially when I don't have a vested interest in who wins! I really enjoyed the student chants: NDSU - "Let's play football", UND - "Let's play hockey", NDSU - "Whats your nickname?" , UND - "Who has the Nickel?". I thought #24 for NDSU got a little chippy at times, but the intesity level was pretty high for both teams. A good win for UND as far as their program goes, but NDSU is still a better program for now.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I enjoyed watching the game on TV, expecially when I don't have a vested interest in who wins! I really enjoyed the student chants: NDSU - "Let's play football", UND - "Let's play hockey", NDSU - "Whats your nickname?" , UND - "Who has the Nickel?". I thought #24 for NDSU got a little chippy at times, but the intesity level was pretty high for both teams. A good win for UND as far as their program goes, but NDSU is still a better program for now.


Whats stupid is all the subsidies and donations these 2 schools get from the state of ND and they dont play one another.....It should be mandatory that they have to play one another in every sport each other represents, at least once every season. I absolutely loved it....it never hurts a University that has its Sails plump full of wind, suddenly switch direction....never!
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 pm

winner-within wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I enjoyed watching the game on TV, expecially when I don't have a vested interest in who wins! I really enjoyed the student chants: NDSU - "Let's play football", UND - "Let's play hockey", NDSU - "Whats your nickname?" , UND - "Who has the Nickel?". I thought #24 for NDSU got a little chippy at times, but the intesity level was pretty high for both teams. A good win for UND as far as their program goes, but NDSU is still a better program for now.


Whats stupid is all the subsidies and donations these 2 schools get from the state of ND and they dont play one another.....It should be mandatory that they have to play one another in every sport each other represents, at least once every season. I absolutely loved it....it never hurts a University that has its Sails plump full of wind, suddenly switch direction....never!


Totally agree with you, totally agree!!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 am

Whats stupid is all the subsidies and donations these 2 schools get from the state of ND and they dont play one another


Not to open a different can a worms, but it isn't subsidies or donations they get from the state, it is called legislative appropriations. If you would research this, you will find that both schools are underfunded when compared to their peer institutions across the country.

As per donations (like alumni giving), that is a different organization all together and they don't have to answer to the state.

I don't believe they should be forced to play each other. They should be encouraged to and it would serve us better and their schools better; but forcing them to play could ruin this wonderful feud that we have come to love so dearly.

As per the game. Both teams run very boring offenses which made for he low scoring game....and the fact that I think both got the jitters early on. Wife and I were there because he had watched the WSC/LRSC game the night before. IMHO the JUCO games are still better to watch. Go Tetons!!
"Take the bull by the horns"
User avatar
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am
Location: Middle of the Prairie

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote: Wife and I were there because he had watched the WSC/LRSC game the night before. IMHO the JUCO games are still better to watch. Go Tetons!!


Makotifarmguy, don't want to hijack this thread but was curious how the Teton/Royals game went. How are Mitchell and Holt doing as freshman? Do they see much playing time?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 am

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 am

They play some minutes, but to be honest since WSC is a D1 JUCO the competition is just so much higher. People think the 2 yr schools in this state are grade 13. Not so. Most will compete with and will have phenomenal athletes on their teams.

I realize I am hi-jacking the thread as well and I hate to get on my soapbox but the reality is most people in ND don't realize that their 4 yr all-region son/daughter probably wouldn't make the team at WSC, LRSC, and NDSCS. Not saying they can't or won't. I am just saying they aren't a "shoe in".

there are few men or women in this state who have the ability to make the jump to D1 JUCO nowadays, even less likely for them to get to UND or NDSU. but heck that is just my opinion.
"Take the bull by the horns"
User avatar
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am
Location: Middle of the Prairie

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:00 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:
Whats stupid is all the subsidies and donations these 2 schools get from the state of ND and they dont play one another


Not to open a different can a worms, but it isn't subsidies or donations they get from the state, it is called legislative appropriations. If you would research this, you will find that both schools are underfunded when compared to their peer institutions across the country.

As per donations (like alumni giving), that is a different organization all together and they don't have to answer to the state.

I don't believe they should be forced to play each other. They should be encouraged to and it would serve us better and their schools better; but forcing them to play could ruin this wonderful feud that we have come to love so dearly.

As per the game. Both teams run very boring offenses which made for he low scoring game....and the fact that I think both got the jitters early on. Wife and I were there because he had watched the WSC/LRSC game the night before. IMHO the JUCO games are still better to watch. Go Tetons!!


How can you love a Fued when they don't play anymore....and believe me they get their share of attributes from the State.....and last I checked they are both D1.....Juco is more fun to watch?? but this is a wonderful feud.....OK
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 am

I am not argueing that they don't get their fair share. What I am arguing is that it isn't donations or "attributes". It is called Legislative Appropriations. Just correcting you on your terminology.

Forcing them to play takes the fun out of the feud IMHO. That is all I am saying.

Yes D1 JUCO is much more fun to watch IMHO. Wife and I get better seats (this becomes more important as I age), quality players (some much better than those at UND and NDSU), and more former ND players.
"Take the bull by the horns"
User avatar
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am
Location: Middle of the Prairie

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:I am not argueing that they don't get their fair share. What I am arguing is that it isn't donations or "attributes". It is called Legislative Appropriations. Just correcting you on your terminology.

Forcing them to play takes the fun out of the feud IMHO. That is all I am saying.

Yes D1 JUCO is much more fun to watch IMHO. Wife and I get better seats (this becomes more important as I age), quality players (some much better than those at UND and NDSU), and more former ND players.


The need to get the Opinions of the ones who are paying their now more inflated tuition cost!

Theres nothing more fun than watching NDSU vs UND in anything for all of ND and Eastern MN
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby Makotifarmguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:05 pm

The need to get the Opinions of the ones who are paying their now more inflated tuition cost!


Not sure if that sentence even makes sense. Try talking to the Legislature because if they would fund the schools according to their peer institution across the U.S., student's wouldn't need to bare the burden of tuition they are now.

And just another reason to attend a 2 year school before a 4 yr school. Save yourself money.

Theres nothing more fun than watching NDSU vs UND in anything for all of ND and Eastern MN


While I agree they are great, I respectively disagree. Not sure how many collegiate games you have seen, but I suspect I am your elder; and my wife and I travel pretty much all winter to watch games (until calving starts). Minot State, WSC, LRSC, UND, NDSU, BSC, and sometimes even a DSU or Mayville State game. Have been doing this for quite some time. While that doesn't make me an expert, I tend to believe I watch more collegiate bb games than most on this site. Heck we have even been to Salina KS to watch the D1 JUCO Nationals for women, college games in and around Phoenix , and hopefully some day I will get to watch a game in Durham, NC (bucketlist).

A few years ago I watched LRSC get their behinds handed to them by Vincenne's University (still a 2 yr school). Bear in mind that LRSC beat UND that same year by 21 in the Betty in an exhibition match. About 6 or 8 months later the starting guard from Vincennes was playing on the Australian Olympic team and was guarding Kobe Bryant in the summer olympic games.

I do enjoy your Avatar Winner-within. Been following Duke Basketball since 1984. Boy I loved watching Tommy Amaker and Johnny Dawkins.
"Take the bull by the horns"
User avatar
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am
Location: Middle of the Prairie

Re: NDSU vs. UND @ the Ralph

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Nothing Better than Quality Basketball...Had I been Born a Poor Dirt/Cattle Farmer. :D I would be doing the same thing...I see your point!!!....I actually think for many in the State the UND/ NDSU thing is over as far as the true rivalry thing.
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am


Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron