Volleyball Article

All other important sports and activities.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndfan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:51 am

Interesting read from the Dickinson Press on Volleyball and wanting to shorten the season by one week.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/articl ... ion=sports
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:52 am

NDHSAA is all about money and bowing to the whims of ADs that also put to much focus on the sports which generate the funding for the other sports, that without the money generated by BB and FB would put even more stress on the less equitable sports. Is that bad or just the way it is?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsscribe » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:03 pm

I don't know, but it looks like the NDHSAA did the right thing and kept this from happening. If they were all about the money sports and such, wouldn't it have happened? I am not one to back the NDHSAA that much, but they seemed to get the short end, even if it is someone else pushing something. In this case, the administrators looked to be the "bad guys."

If there was a big concern over the overlap, why wasn't the basketball schedule looked at? Push it back. I know it isn't that easy, but it is funny how volleyball was the one that was targeted, even though it isn't the sport that is the problem.

The basketball season seems to run FOREVER (with the same inflection that Michael 'Squints' Palledorous would use). Maybe it needs to be cut back a little.

ndsportsscribe
NDPreps Rookie

Postby point/center » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:11 am

You're right. NDHSAA isn't ALL about money. I should give them credit on this one. I apologize
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:55 am

personally, i would be a giant fan of the basketball season beginning, say, in january and running until april. i've always found the pre-christmas part of the season to be essentially worthless and it seems like coaches and players really don't put that much importance on much until the turn of the year.

now, what it would mean to pull that off...ug...fall sports would probably have to be jostled to run into christmas and spring sports would overlap with basketball and essentially it would cause more problems overall than it would help.

but i've always been a fan of fixing one problem by creating six more...that is called job security.
Last edited by rep on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Return to Other Sports