Fishing

All other important sports and activities.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 am

I heard some guy on the radio talk about fantasy fishing leagues.  Does anyone think that there is a place in HS sports for a fishing team? 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Wed May 03, 2006 12:22 pm

no

there are already too many 'sports' for the population of the majority of schools in the state. no more sports...we need to figure out how to get rid of about 1/4 to 1/2 of the ones we have now.

on a side note...i don't know how long i would keep my sanity if i spent the majority of a day typing fishing agate for a high school fishing derby.
Last edited by rep on Wed May 03, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby point/center » Wed May 03, 2006 12:43 pm

I'd vote to add girls/boys' fishing and lose golf. golf is a hobby. fishing is all about the athlete. ever seen Bass Center? I watch it every Saturday morning on ESPN2. Is there golf center? nope. point
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed May 03, 2006 3:41 pm

point/center wrote:I'd vote to add girls/boys' fishing and lose golf. golf is a hobby. fishing is all about the athlete. ever seen Bass Center? I watch it every Saturday morning on ESPN2. Is there golf center? nope. point

If golfing is just a hobby what is fishing.  What athletics skill does it take to catch a fish.  They may not be a golf center but there is a Golf CHANNEL.  thats a television station for just golf, not an hour every saturday morning.
Last edited by baseball on Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed May 03, 2006 5:33 pm

baseball wrote:
point/center wrote:

If golfing is just a hobby what is golf.  What athletics skill does it take to catch a fish.  They may not be a golf center but there is a Golf CHANNEL.  thats a television station for just golf, not an hour every saturday morning.

might be one channel for golf, but how many DIFFERENT outdoor channels are there?
as far as skill. talk about hand eye coordination---ever tried tying your own fly? casting, jigging, hooking landing a fish? maybe try paddlefish snagging. hooking, dragging and gaffing a 100# fish.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby syracuse_10 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:40 pm

point/center wrote:
baseball wrote:
point/center wrote:

If golfing is just a hobby what is golf.  What athletics skill does it take to catch a fish.  They may not be a golf center but there is a Golf CHANNEL.  thats a television station for just golf, not an hour every saturday morning.

might be one channel for golf, but how many DIFFERENT outdoor channels are there?
as far as skill. talk about hand eye coordination---ever tried tying your own fly? casting, jigging, hooking landing a fish? maybe try paddlefish snagging. hooking, dragging and gaffing a 100# fish.

Lol are you serious Point/center? Jigging takes hand eye coordination? You bob your arm up and down. Hitting a golf ball requires so much more skill then catching a fish it is ridiculous. This argument is pathetic!
syracuse_10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Wed May 03, 2006 7:41 pm

this is just going to end up being like a is poker a sport or not debate

get rid of boys swimming its ridiculous
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Thu May 04, 2006 3:47 am

Saucesauer wrote:this is just going to end up being like a is poker a sport or not debate

get rid of boys swimming its ridiculous

I agree poker is NOT a sport. I hate it on TV.

boys swimming=sport
rodeo=sport
one act play=not a sport

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 5:27 am

point/center wrote:
baseball wrote:
point/center wrote:

if i could find TV ratings I would show you more people watch the smallest golf tournament on tv over the bass master classic or whatever.  Who wants to sit and watch a person in a little paddleboat watch a bobber go up and down waiting for the "monster" to come.  What athletic ability does it take?  I bet these "athletes" spend thir whole day either on the lake or in the weight room pumpin up for the next "season" huh?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu May 04, 2006 6:43 am

baseball wrote:
point/center wrote:
baseball wrote:
point/center wrote:

if i could find TV ratings I would show you more people watch the smallest golf tournament on tv over the bass master classic or whatever.  Who wants to sit and watch a person in a little paddleboat watch a bobber go up and down waiting for the "monster" to come.  What athletic ability does it take?  I bet these "athletes" spend thir whole day either on the lake or in the weight room pumpin up for the next "season" huh?
so you must lift weights for it to be a sport? alot of tennis players benching 315 arent' there. athletics requires a certain skill. trapshooting. hand eye coordination=skill

hunting is a sport. so is fishing

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 4:56 pm

I still just dont see how you can feel fishing is more of a sport than golf.  Not anyone can go and stick a 6 iron from 190 yards out 3 feet from the pin.  But on the other hand, anyone can go throw a hook in water and hope a fish bites it.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu May 04, 2006 5:01 pm

baseball wrote:I still just dont see how you can feel fishing is more of a sport than golf.  Not anyone can go and stick a 6 iron from 190 yards out 3 feet from the pin.  But on the other hand, anyone can go throw a hook in water and hope a fish bites it.
you said it not me....hoping a fish bites is like carrying out clubs and saying your a golfer. putting the ball in the hole is like getting the fish on the hook

fishing=sport
3-0

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 5:02 pm

takes skill to put the ball in the hole.  Fishing is hope.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu May 04, 2006 5:05 pm

can get lucky putting the ball in the net....the puck in the net...the rock in the hole....and yes indeed get lucky and catch a fish to....ever try catching a paddlefish with a crankbait?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 pm

who cares?  Ever make a put uphill with a huge slope between u and the hole?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Thu May 04, 2006 5:27 pm

baseball wrote:I still just dont see how you can feel fishing is more of a sport than golf.  Not anyone can go and stick a 6 iron from 190 yards out 3 feet from the pin.  But on the other hand, anyone can go throw a hook in water and hope a fish bites it.

3/4 of the high school golfers cant even do that
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 5:32 pm

well if we are gonna make fishing a sport, why not just give 15 kids from a school a rifle and see who can shoot the biggest deer in an hour?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu May 04, 2006 6:13 pm

There is a competitive shooting clubs for high school aged kids.  They shoot at targets using air rifles.  Several ND kids have competed on the world level.  So your deer hunting comment isn't that far off the mark. 
Fishing is a sport.
Hunting and shooting is a sport.
Bi-athelon in the winter olympics involves cross country skiing and shooting (yes a gun).
Pro walleye tournament has been in the Bismarck area.

Where is the spell check feature?  I must have spelled something wrong.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 6:32 pm

How can you be a Pro Fisherman. that just means you fish more than everyone else.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 pm

No, that means that your primary income is from fishing.  Sponsoring fishing gear and boat/motor companies.  Just like professional race car drivers.
Or do they just drive more than everyone else
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 6:47 pm

They drive in circles for 4 hours. Lets make that a high school sport to. That can be in the Fall with fishing in the Spring.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu May 04, 2006 6:51 pm

Hey baseball do you still think track isn't a sport?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu May 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Now we are talking.  We can start a club for each in Steele.  You can be the pit chief and I get to be the captain of the fishing boat. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Fri May 05, 2006 12:49 am

I think we've determined that track and field, football, NASCAR, basketball, pro fishing, volleyball, competitive shooting are sports.

thanks for the help

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer2 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:48 am

Its not that fishing isnt a sport but you said golfing wasnt a sport that was just dumb.... golfing is more of a sport than fishing and anyone could back me up on that one so if you woulda just said fishing should be a sport that woulda been fine but you are dissing on golf... golf is a sport
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Other Sports