NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby WINTER13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 pm

With all the NCAA allegations in the last few years, whether it is fb or bb, I was wondering if anything can be done to the athlete that is long gone into the pros that cause these penalties served to the schools. We see programs get 4-5 years of no post season play, cutting of scholarships, coaches losing their jobs, and a.d. being fired, but the student athlete that got the bennies is in the pros making this millions. Any thoughts or ideas?
WINTER13
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby classB4ever » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:46 am

To be honest, if an establishment is willing to slide money, cars, etc. under the table, whether it is directly the school or a group of boosters, they are guilty for allowing it to happen and the school deserves what they get for punishment. Sooner or later, the NCAA's message will be heard.

On the flip side, an athlete/athlete's family is going to take what they can get. If all the schools recruited by the rules, we wouldn't see these penalties. In the real world, it isn't going to happen and I don't ever see where 90% of these athletes would ever turn down these benefits. Can't see how the athlete will ever be held accountable except in the court of public opinion.

Also, it will be brought up to just pay these athletes and this won't happen. I am 100% against paying college athletes. They already get paid by scholarships, work study, etc. for their talents. They have an opportunity to get an education for playing a game. A much larger opportunity then many people get.
classB4ever
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby Indy5 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:57 pm

While I don't think we should pay the athletes, I do think they should be allowed to make money off of their likeness being in video games, jerseys sales, and other memorabilia profits. Their play creates A LOT of revenue for the schools, I feel they should at least get some money from a jersey with their number on it.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Indy5 wrote:While I don't think we should pay the athletes, I do think they should be allowed to make money off of their likeness being in video games, jerseys sales, and other memorabilia profits. Their play creates A LOT of revenue for the schools, I feel they should at least get some money from a jersey with their number on it.

Although this is true can't you see where this would be abused?

Someone had this idea on ESPN and I agree. If a coach knows about something underhanded that is going on and he doesn't report it he could fined in the neighborhood of $500K-$1M.
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby WINTER13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:40 pm

My thought is what kind of punishment is out there for the student athlete that takes money or sells tickets or whatever? A lot of the time the coach is in the dark, it is usually some booster athlete doing the illegal transactions. Maybe if the NCAA could come up with some type of punishment, even if he is out of school that would make the athlete think twice about these types of activities.
WINTER13
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby Flip » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:14 pm

WINTER13 wrote:My thought is what kind of punishment is out there for the student athlete that takes money or sells tickets or whatever? A lot of the time the coach is in the dark, it is usually some booster athlete doing the illegal transactions. Maybe if the NCAA could come up with some type of punishment, even if he is out of school that would make the athlete think twice about these types of activities.

There is nothing you can do to punish the students.
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby JessHessing1989 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 am

Indy5 wrote:While I don't think we should pay the athletes, I do think they should be allowed to make money off of their likeness being in video games, jerseys sales, and other memorabilia profits. Their play creates A LOT of revenue for the schools, I feel they should at least get some money from a jersey with their number on it.



let's leave that one to the players and hope they see it


________________________
To buy silver or check my credit rating & lookfor affiliate marketing now
JessHessing1989
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm

IMO, I would like to see the athlete sit out from being draft for X number of years for any violations. I think this would stop alot of the violations. Some may think this is hard but why should the school pay for it, when the athlete moves on and leaves a mess at the school. Let the athlete pay for their mistakes not the school.
"Here I am to save the day!"
User avatar
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 am
Location: Minot

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:IMO, I would like to see the athlete sit out from being draft for X number of years for any violations. I think this would stop alot of the violations. Some may think this is hard but why should the school pay for it, when the athlete moves on and leaves a mess at the school. Let the athlete pay for their mistakes not the school.

What happens if they are already drafted? The Reggie Bush stuff didn't come out 'til he was gone, same with Derrick Rose.

What about a player at a smaller school, like NDSU, that isn't going to get drafted how much do you think your rule will stop those players from receiving improper benefits?
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 am

Flip wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:IMO, I would like to see the athlete sit out from being draft for X number of years for any violations. I think this would stop alot of the violations. Some may think this is hard but why should the school pay for it, when the athlete moves on and leaves a mess at the school. Let the athlete pay for their mistakes not the school.

What happens if they are already drafted? The Reggie Bush stuff didn't come out 'til he was gone, same with Derrick Rose.

What about a player at a smaller school, like NDSU, that isn't going to get drafted how much do you think your rule will stop those players from receiving improper benefits?


Flip you miss my point which was to go after the individuals who were involved. If it was the school, sure go after them. But most of the individuals are players, alumi, agents and coaches. After the violations comes to the surface, they move on and leave the school to hold the punishment. They move on to bigger and better things and the schools have to pay for it., i.e., USC and Ohio State lately. Carroll moved to the NFL and USC pays for his promotion and violations. Tressel, Pryor at OSU, Pryor moves to NFL and who know for what's happening w/Tressel and OSU pays for it.

I'm responsible for my actions why not make this athletes, coaches, alumi, and agents responsible for theirs. This is my point. :D
"Here I am to save the day!"
User avatar
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 am
Location: Minot

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Mighty-Mouse, I do like your idea of sitting out X number of years, but the NCAA does not have that power, which I think is a very good thing. I have sat through a 3 hour session on compliance rules, and I can tell you that it would be very easy to accept a benefit without even realizing it. Yes, there are cases where a person commits an obvious violation, and in these cases, there is no reason for that athlete not to, and there is really nothing that can be done about it. It is a flawed system, but I do not think that giving the NCAA more power over professional sports would be a good thing. What they should look at doing is having the penalty follow the coach or athlete whenever that individual tries to get back in to college sports. As an example, John Calipari should be penalized for his behavior, not the school. He leaves and goes to a new school, while the school he was at pays for his behavior, and I think it is obvious that the NCAA could ban him from coaching for a period of XX years. I think this could help with coaches.

Agents and players are pretty much free to do as they please, and will continue to do so.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Re: NCAA SUSPENSIONS

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Flip wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:IMO, I would like to see the athlete sit out from being draft for X number of years for any violations. I think this would stop alot of the violations. Some may think this is hard but why should the school pay for it, when the athlete moves on and leaves a mess at the school. Let the athlete pay for their mistakes not the school.

What happens if they are already drafted? The Reggie Bush stuff didn't come out 'til he was gone, same with Derrick Rose.

What about a player at a smaller school, like NDSU, that isn't going to get drafted how much do you think your rule will stop those players from receiving improper benefits?


In smaller schools where players are not worried about getting drafted, they are usually playing for pride. Losing their eligibility and having their name in the paper are usually good enough ways to prevent this in smaller schools.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer, President/Coach 17u Boys
North Dakota Phenom AAU
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~It does not take talent to hustle!
User avatar
balla45
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3727
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA


Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest