NCAA Womens tournament

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NCAA Womens tournament

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 am

I'm assuming not a lot of you guys follow this tournament, but I thought I'd share a few facts about this years Elite 8 field.

All 8 teams had 30 plus wins

262-28 is their combined record

4 of the teams went undefeated in conference.

1,2,3,4,6,8,10,20 were their rankings in the final poll

Maybe that's why no one watches? There are very few upsets.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: NCAA Womens tournament

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am

The Schwab wrote:I'm assuming not a lot of you guys follow this tournament, but I thought I'd share a few facts about this years Elite 8 field.

All 8 teams had 30 plus wins

262-28 is their combined record

4 of the teams went undefeated in conference.

1,2,3,4,6,8,10,20 were their rankings in the final poll

Maybe that's why no one watches? There are very few upsets.

watch it quite abit, Pat was sure happy with her girls Lol!...very predictable IMO...Size matters in this league...Stanford has a bunch of Giants at every position, they just had forgotten that in the first half against Zaga....VanDersloot (good old Dutch name) can sure play.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:41 am

I watched Gonzaga play EVERY game...VanderSloot is a joy to watch. She learned alot from her mentor John Stockton. VanderSloot is the only player (Man or Woman) to score over 2,000 points in her career and have 1,000 assists.

I'm now cheering for anyone to beat UCONN.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

I was really surprised that gonzaga was only an 11 seed.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am

yeah the girls seeds are always messed up...Marist was a 10 seed...they should have been better than that (especially at 30-2 and having a good resume).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 am

I found it funny how Louisville (even though they upset Xavier) received a 7 seed after they had only 1 vote in the final poll.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 am

The Schwab wrote:I found it funny how Louisville (even though they upset Xavier) received a 7 seed after they had only 1 vote in the final poll.

Probably because of Shoni Schimmel

“There’s so many Native Americans that coulda-shoulda-woulda but didn’t do anything,” she said. “It’s almost sickening how much talent is (on the reservation),” she told the Courier-Journal. “I am very proud of who I am and where I came from, but I wanted to be one of the ones that made it out. My job is to play basketball, and I love doing it.”

Shoni Schimmel
23 Shoni Schimmel
Class:
Freshman
Hometown:
Mission, Ore.
High School:
Franklin HS

Height:
5-10
Position:
G
Experience:
HS

High School: A four year varsity starter...Played her first two years at Hermiston High School leading the Bulldogs to a 4th place and 2nd place finish in the Oregon 5A State Championships...Named Intermountain Conference Player of the Year her freshman and sophomore seasons...Played her junior and senior seasons for Franklin High School in Portland...Finished her senior year averaging 29.8 points, 9.0 rebounds, 7.3 assists and 5.5 steals...Ranked No. 8 in the nation by ESPN Hoop Gurlz...Finished her junior year averaging 22.8 points, 5.9 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 4.4 steals per game...Named ESPN Rise First Team All-American her senior year...Named PIL Player of the Year her senior year...Earned first-team all-conference and all-state honors all four years...Led her Franklin Quakers team to back-to-back state quarterfinal finishes finishing 6th her senior season in the Oregon 6A State Championships...Finished her career with 2,120 points, ranking her sixth on Oregon's all-time scoring list...Selected to the 2010 WBCA All-American team...Named a First-Team Parade All-American...Named the Oregonian Class 5A Player of the Year her sophomore season and the Oregonian Class 6A Player of the Year her senior season...Played AAU basketball for American Horse from 2002-07, Team Concept in 2007 and the Oregon Reign from 2008-09...Also a stand-out athlete in cross country and softball... Earned First Team all-state honors her freshman year in cross country...Named PIL First Team her junior season in softball.

This girl should be an inspiration to all Native Americans throughout the Nation...She says there is better Talent then she is on the Rez but they cant leave the Social trap...this is true on all Reservations.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

VanderSloot made second team all american
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things