NDHSAA Board minutes fro Sept 26 meeting

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby point/center » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:36 am

Shiloh gets penalty? What is it? 28-32 increase in A class FB teams. Dakota Bowl is ALL in ONE day--
  1. Approved the agenda.
  2. Approved the minutes of the August 10, 2006 regular meeting and the August 24, 2006 special meetings.
  3. Approved the finance report.
  4. Approved the following cooperative sponsorship dissolutions were considered:
  1. New Dist. 8 and Williston in girls’ and boys’ hockey for 2006-2007
  2. Starkweather and Devils Lake in football for 2007-2008
  1. Approved the following cooperative sponsorship applications
  1. Bishop Ryan and Sawyer in wrestling, boys’ and girls’ track, 2006-2007 (late fee)
  2. Minot and South Prairie in junior high cross country, football, gymnastics, soccer, swimming, track, wrestling, tennis and golf, 2006-2007 (no late fee)
  3. Grafton, Minto and St. Thomas in wrestling, 7-12, 2006-2007 (no late fee)
  4. Standing Rock and Solen in football, 7-12, 2006-2007 (no late fee)
  5. Jamestown and Midkota in gymnastics, 7-12, 2006-2007 (no late fee)
  6. New Salem and Glen Ullin in football, 9-12, 2007-2008 (no late fee)
  7. Cando, Bisbee-Egeland and Starkweather in football, 7-12, 2007-2008 (no late fee)
  1. Placed the 2007 State Class B Boys’ and Girls’ Golf Tournament site in Williston.
  2. Approved the purchase of a new Dodge Caravan from Miller Motors to replace the older of the two current association vans.
  3. Changed the ticket prices for the Dakota Bowl to $10 adults and $6 students.
  4. Heard the report of the Football Committee.  Changed the number of teams from 28 to 32 in Division 11A.
  5. Denied a request from Wahpeton to waive the 20 year-old rule for a student.
  6. Approved a $25 charge to officials who register with a NSF check and this official will not be eligible until that fine and registration is paid.
  7. Denied the request from TMCHS to be moved down one division for football.
  8. The Executive Board reported on the penalty placed on Shiloh Christian school.
  9. Approved the winter regulations for basketball, hockey, gymnastics and wrestling with the addition of the shirt regulation.
  10. Set the East Region Boys’ Golf site in Fargo with Dale Hammerschmidt, Shanley High School as manager.
  11. Heard a report from the Executive Secretary on the number of schools that had not fulfilled the requirements for placement of fall sport information on the website.
  12. Approved the request to offer Policy Debate for one more year and review at the end of the year.
  13. Approved the recommendation for a format change for Class B Plays:
  14. Approved electronic testing for our officials and coaches through the NFHS in sports where offered.
  15. Heard representative reports:
a. Jungling reported on National Federation information
b. Knodle reported tennis officials indicate a positive result
c. Lyson reported superintendents are talking more about a three-class system.
d. Jungling reported the NDIAAA would like to suggest to the Board there be assistance to the staff with a full-time technology person.
e. The Executive Secretary gave his report:
  1. The Dakota Bowl is scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m. Friday, November 10th with 9-man.  The following two games will begin 20 minutes after the completion of the previous game.  The AAA championship game is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. that evening.
  2. At the NDIAAA and regional meetings, the topic of the all-star rule was discussed.  A meeting with NDHSAA attorney, Gary Thune is scheduled to discuss this rule and the ramifications of the current wording.
  3. Three hardships have been heard with two approved and one denied.  At this point there has been no appeal.  Also, one request for additional semesters of eligibility has been approved.
  4. The schools in designated areas will be contacted for nominations for the upcoming vacancies on the NDHSAA Board of Directors.
  5. Financial and Personnel committee will be asked to start discussion on a possible addition to staff.
  1. The next meeting will be October 18 in Bismarck.
Image Image
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:45 am

9am for a football game? 20 minutes to warm up? Whats the rush?
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:31 am

alot of it comes down to the TV contract and rental/revenue. it costs less to rent the Alerus for one day than two. costs less for TV to produce one day of games vs two. I don't like it but money is the driving force behind it all. players/fans/coaches come in a distant 5th.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:02 pm

No title games should be stuck in a corner of the state.  Play them in the central part of the state outdoors if needed.  That goes for any state tournament in my opinion.  It makes it tough for a lot of people to attend....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:04 pm

scruffy wrote:No title games should be stuck in a corner of the state.  Play them in the central part of the state outdoors if needed.  That goes for any state tournament in my opinion.  It makes it tough for a lot of people to attend....

bismarck and minot would love that i think. but fargo and forks would get kind of angry about it. and i'm sure the dickinson motels loved having state girls hockey there.

on a side note for state hockey i don't know if there is any place in the state better than the ralph.
Last edited by rep on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby point/center » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:19 pm

For the love of Sherm, let's not let this digress into where State Tourneys should/should not be held. It's more about the money and less about the 'best' or 'central' location. NDHSAA has a bottom line to worry about and that to comes back to the benefit of the kids.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:20 pm

point/center wrote:For the love of Sherm... 

priceless
rep

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:33 pm

point/center wrote:For the love of Sherm, let's not let this digress into where State Tourneys should/should not be held. It's more about the money and less about the 'best' or 'central' location. NDHSAA has a bottom line to worry about and that to comes back to the benefit of the kids.

If state was more centralized you could get more people to attend. Divide County is way in the NW and Fargo is way in the SE. Thats quite a jog to watch a football game. Where a Richland can drive an hour or less and bring their whole town. A centralized tourney will bring in more money. Its just too bad Bis/Man or Minot dont have an indoor facility. The weather can be nasty in early november. We would want to see the championship teams at their best and they should be playing indoors.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:09 am

It seems to me the Bison's best days were playing in the cold before the dome was built.  Football was meant to be played outdoors.  Have you seen a high school game in the dome, or have you seen football in the Metrodome?  Very bland and dull.....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:38 am

Yes, outdoors is a nice setting. But I know as a player it was always a dream to make it to play in the Fargodome. 
Last edited by NATURAL TALENT on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:40 am

take a look at NDSU attendance since going into the Fargodome. WAY UP.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:35 am

I think the dome has more seating capacity then their old stadium!  HOWEVER...The hotdogs stay warm longer indoors.  Thats a plus!!!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:34 am

NATURAL TALENT wrote:Yes, outdoors is a nice setting. But I know as a player it was always a dream to make it to play in the Fargodome. 

i hated the dome...it was the equivalent of playing ball in a closet. i never felt like i could catch my breath. you either had to wear long sleves or have torn up elbows for weeks. there is nothing worse than trying to shower with a fresh rasberry on your elbow.

i think that kids dream about making it to the dome because it is the state championship. if the state championship was in mayville, all kids would talk about is makin it to jerome berg field.
rep

Postby ndfan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:42 pm

Well then I think Minot or Bismarck need to get a dome too then because until somebody else does its gonna be in Grand Forks or Fargo, Or its 70 degrees or higher in North Dakota in November.

Also nobody would ever wanna play on Jerome Berg Field, it could sprinkle for 5 minutes and it would have a tough time handling the water. :D
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tv sports guy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:20 pm

point/center wrote:alot of it comes down to the TV contract and rental/revenue. it costs less to rent the Alerus for one day than two. costs less for TV to produce one day of games vs two. I don't like it but money is the driving force behind it all. players/fans/coaches come in a distant 5th.

it isn't the tv people setting it up...its the ndhsaa. i know for a fact that last year the tv people were upset with 3 games on friday and one on saturday. its horrible for tv, because there is no audience for high school football at noon on a friday. if the tv guys had it their way, there would be two games friday and two saturday...one at 5 or 6 and one at 7 or 8...both in primetime and on consecutive nights. the ndhsaa doesnt think about that...they are just concerned with getting a place and getting the games done.
tv sports guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:50 am

but it's the contract which the TV agrees to. a couple years ago it wasnt on TV becuase network told NDHSAA to get bent---that's what it takes. NDHSAA loses a good chunk of revenue if network doesnt pay for the TV rights. network TV holds the trump card in this.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Notorious » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:02 am

Why not go back to playing them at the home field of the team with the best record.  The Hilarious is an ok facility, but Grand Forks is so far out of the way......FargoDome is good facility also, but as someone already mentioned, indoor football is horrible.  I imagine having hockey in Grand Forks works because of the Ralph and tradition, etc.  In my humble opinion, and based on experience, "State" in Minot is average, at best.  Remember when state track was in Minot?  Compare that to the way it is now at Bismarck's Community Bowl.  I know, I know, being A/B combined makes a difference also, but it has really become a great event in Bismarck.

Is there that much more revenue having the games in one location and played in one day?

I certainly do not know the motivation of the association, but would be interested in hearing what drives some of the decisions.  And, I am not saying I disagree with them, just wondering how they make decisions.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:43 am

Notorious wrote:Why not go back to playing them at the home field of the team with the best record. 

Both teams worked hard to make it to the ship, there shouldnt be a homefield advantage. Plus, a small town team couldnt house all of the people that show up for 9-man football. Its bad enough being able to see the game during the regular season for a lot of teams. Go up to Leeds on Friday nite when Maddock comes to town, you'll see what I mean. That place is going to be rockin!
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:15 am

How do you say who gets home field if both teams go into the championship game 11-0??
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:24 am

Yep, I thought about that too. And this year it could be very possible that both teams are undefeated.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things