Carl Gerbschmidt

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Real or fictional?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Carl Gerbschmidt

Postby digger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:15 pm

ndfan wrote:Real or fictional?

Yes, ndfan, there is a Carl Gerbschmidt. He exists as certainly as Elk Mound, Leinenkugels, and Brett Favre exist, and you know that they exist and give to all Wisconsinites joy and meaning in their lives. How dreary KFAN would be if there were no Carl Gerbschmidt. Not to believe in Carl Gerbschmidt? Why, one might as well not believe in Curley Lambeau. You might prowl all the bars in Wisconsin in search of Carl Gerbschmidt, and even if he was not seen what would that prove? Nobody sees Carl Gerbschmidt, but that is no proof that he is not there.

No Carl Gerbschmidt! Thanks to Barreiro he lives. A 1000 Leinie's from now, nay, 10,000 Leinie's from now, he will continue to make glad all hearts across Packerland.

(Apologies to Frank Church)
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 pm

digger wrote:

Yes, ndfan, there is a Carl Gerbschmidt. He exists as certainly as Elk Mound, Leinenkugels, and Brett Favre exist, and you know that they exist and give to all Wisconsinites joy and meaning in their lives. How dreary KFAN would be if there were no Carl Gerbschmidt. Not to believe in Carl Gerbschmidt? Why, one might as well not believe in Curley Lambeau. You might prowl all the bars in Wisconsin in search of Carl Gerbschmidt, and even if he was not seen what would that prove? Nobody sees Carl Gerbschmidt, but that is no proof that he is not there.

No Carl Gerbschmidt! Thanks to Barreiro he lives. A 1000 Leinie's from now, nay, 10,000 Leinie's from now, he will continue to make glad all hearts across Packerland.

(Apologies to Frank Church)

haha ialto
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Fictional, but who is it? I listened to a lot more KFAN years ago and at the time I think I thought it was Kevin Seifert, but that can't be now that he has moved on to ESPN. Could it be Common?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Ok, what in the world are we talking about here? Who is Carl Gerbschmidt?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 am

Gerbie is a mythical(?) character that is a frequent guest on the Bumper to Bumper show on KFAN in the Cities, which is broadcast by 740 The Fan in Fargo. Dan Barreiro is the host of the show.

A few years back they started calling this guy who is supposedly from Wisconsin and a life long, diehard Packers fan that talks with a wimpy little voice that is a cross between a hairlip and a lisp. Barreiro picks on him unmercifully and has brought Gerbie to tears many times on the show. Now he has become a regular and is on their panel of "experts" that makes weekly football picks during the Friday show.

His character is dumb as a box of rocks. Anyone on the Packers is god to Gerbie. Anybody on the Vikings or anyone who likes the Vikings is an idiot to Gerbie.

It's a pretty funny gig most of the time.

Anyone have a favorite Gerbie story?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 pm

One that had me in tears, was he was running late for his radio gig because he threw down against another parent at their 6th grade daughters' hockey practice. This was 2 or 3 years ago. Definitely a classic.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Flip wrote:

Fictional, but who is it? I listened to a lot more KFAN years ago and at the time I think I thought it was Kevin Seifert, but that can't be now that he has moved on to ESPN. Could it be Common?

I don't think it's Common because I think both Common and Gerbie are on the Friday afternoon football picks talking at the same time.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Hinsa wrote:Anyone have a favorite Gerbie story?

I can't remember how many years ago it was, but the Packers weren't supposed to be that good going into the season and Gerbschmidt predicted the Packers would go 14-2 and too. He was laughed at and he responded that he actually thinks they'll go 16-0, but he figured no one would take him seriously if he predicted 16-0.

Last season (I think) it was before the Badgers and Gophers played and he kept call TCF Bank Stadium "Banky Stadium." I laugh just thinking about him saying, "We're going to go into Banky Stadium..."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm

I remember Gerbie absolutely crying and blubbering on the air when he heard that Brett Favre was retiring from the Packers. He thought the world was coming to an end. He was saying that Favre was the greatest player ever and such a wonderful human being.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:31 am

Hinsa wrote:I remember Gerbie absolutely crying and blubbering on the air when he heard that Brett Favre was retiring from the Packers. He thought the world was coming to an end. He was saying that Favre was the greatest player ever and such a wonderful human being.

What did he have to say about Favre's Sister????
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:50 pm

I haven't heard ol' Gerbie for a while. But as long as Favre played for the Packers, anyone in Favre's family was golden.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Hinsa wrote:I haven't heard ol' Gerbie for a while. But as long as Favre played for the Packers, anyone in Favre's family was golden.

Gerbie was on Friday, he was in hotlanta with his brother Randy. He did the interview from inside a bathroom stall, it was pretty funny.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Did his brother talk at all? Did he sound like Gerbie?

Inside a bathroom stall????? Man, they have fun with that bit!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

I follow him on twitter him and his brother randy will be heading to Chicago for the game in their RV, I can't wait!!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm

He left Barrero a voicemail on his way back from Hotlanta. He was chirping away like a bird about what a glorious day it was to be alive and how everyone is happy. How could anyone be unhappy on such a nice day. Then he said "oh wait, I bet the people in Minnesota are unhappy." Then he went on to rant about how the Packers were going to play their rival the Bears in the NFC championship. The Vikings aren't their rival because they aren't any good. The Bears are their real rival.

He was in fine form.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things