UCONN girls

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

UCONN girls

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 am

their coach is the best there is in any sport or in any forum pro or college...he in my opinion is doing what you should do with the Media thing......congrats, they will go to 100 wins real easily
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: UCONN girls

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 am

you mean he should imply that they are pathetic and say they are only there so they can say it shouldn't count because they are women?

I think there's a better way to approach the media...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:17 am

I didn't like what Gino was saying there, but I do kinda like him. He very outspoken so you can usually get some good press conferences out of him.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:57 am

his approach to the media blends with his style of coaching and recruiting I would say...he doesn't sugar coat....crying in your soup about minority or certain groups inferiority can get to me at times but Its never bothered me when the same is directed towards women....we all know how they have taken the back seat in society and he is just pointing it out to some of the ignorant reporters.

A person has to look at it from his perspective, honestly I believe part of it is his way of down playing the accomplishment....sorta Bobby Night style.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:41 pm

I think most of it is he knows he's never going to measure up to John Wooden, even by breaking the record, so he's trying to downplay it and make excuses. He's just trying to protect his ego because he will never be thought of on the same level as Wooden, and deep down inside he's full of envy and anger.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:43 pm

im not sure how to say this, so if its confusing im sorry haha.

but imo...the way he's talking, like media saying it shouldnt matter and getting "one paragraph in usa today and one line at the bottom of ESPN", that would hold more weight if the press conferences were empty. Yet each and every game the press room is full. so im not sure where he's getting it that the media is downplaying it because they are women. IMO, they are giving it more respect when comparing it to a men's record. Should they say they beat the record? i dont think so. it shoudl be it's own seperate record.

It would be like a women's softball player hitting more homeruns in a season then a male baseball player. It's a great accomplishment yes, but a different game. thus a different record.

the two should not be put together.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Indy5 wrote:I didn't like what Gino was saying there, but I do kinda like him. He very outspoken so you can usually get some good press conferences out of him.

them are some of my favorite press conferences. Lou Pinella, Ozzie Guillen, Stephen Jackson, Chad Ochocinco, etc. If the leagues are going to make you talk to the media, they shouldn't be able to punish them for what the say. Esspecially when it's an answer to a question a reporter asks.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:42 am

baseball wrote:im not sure how to say this, so if its confusing im sorry haha.

but imo...the way he's talking, like media saying it shouldnt matter and getting "one paragraph in usa today and one line at the bottom of ESPN", that would hold more weight if the press conferences were empty. Yet each and every game the press room is full. so im not sure where he's getting it that the media is downplaying it because they are women. IMO, they are giving it more respect when comparing it to a men's record. Should they say they beat the record? i dont think so. it shoudl be it's own seperate record.

It would be like a women's softball player hitting more homeruns in a season then a male baseball player. It's a great accomplishment yes, but a different game. thus a different record.

the two should not be put together.

His tune has changed since the 89th win, and I heard him say just that...."they should be separate".......... and I agree....fact is...Wooden has pointed out that they (UCLA) never scouted an opponent.......I really don't think Gino has to worry much about who's next either, (they are prepared for anyone in the nation)....Wooden had Alcindor for the first part and Walton for the last 60 wins during the stretch....and Gino has Moore....nough said.....I actually think Gino's record is more valuable....he is just playing games.....I'm mean winning them :D ....no pun intended! :lol: ...sorry I always laugh at my own jokes!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 pm

AND THE STREAK ENDS AT 90 GAMES!! Stanford pulls off the upset tonight beating UCONN 71-59
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 am

His tune has changed since the 89th win, sure. but the real Gino was shown. The real Gino was the bitter guy pre-win 89. post-win 89 was Gino trying to save face
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:19 pm

baseball wrote:His tune has changed since the 89th win, sure. but the real Gino was shown. The real Gino was the bitter guy pre-win 89. post-win 89 was Gino trying to save face

Saving face painstakingly? or not the real Gino?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:His tune has changed since the 89th win, sure. but the real Gino was shown. The real Gino was the bitter guy pre-win 89. post-win 89 was Gino trying to save face

I thought it was clear.

IMO the guy who was talking leading up to the record was the real Gino. He's a bitter guy because he knows no matter what he does he will never be in the same boat as Wooden. How did he figure that the media was disrespecting the record because they were women and that's the only reason they are there, to say it shouldn't count. I never saw the media say it shouldnt count, althought i think it shouldnt. Now there might be one sportswriter out there who agrees with me and says they shouldnt be compared and thats what he was lashing out at. but the media has a whole has given it more respect then it deserved by comparing it to UCLA's men's record...just my opinion.

Gino is a guy who thinks everyone is against him and his team, no matter what is said. In his mind he probably thinks the UCONN students show up just to see if they might lose. The only people on his side are the people on the bench with him.

Now...after "passing" UCLA, he tried to downplay it by saying himself that they shouldnt be compared to the great UCLA teams. so you tell me, which do you think is the REAL Gino...the guy insisting he and his team are being underappreciated, or the guy saying its not that big of a deal.

I'll go with the guy leading up to win 89...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I thought it was clear.

IMO the guy who was talking leading up to the record was the real Gino. He's a bitter guy because he knows no matter what he does he will never be in the same boat as Wooden. How did he figure that the media was disrespecting the record because they were women and that's the only reason they are there, to say it shouldn't count. I never saw the media say it shouldnt count, althought i think it shouldnt. Now there might be one sportswriter out there who agrees with me and says they shouldnt be compared and thats what he was lashing out at. but the media has a whole has given it more respect then it deserved by comparing it to UCLA's men's record...just my opinion.

Gino is a guy who thinks everyone is against him and his team, no matter what is said. In his mind he probably thinks the UCONN students show up just to see if they might lose. The only people on his side are the people on the bench with him.

Now...after "passing" UCLA, he tried to downplay it by saying himself that they shouldnt be compared to the great UCLA teams. so you tell me, which do you think is the REAL Gino...the guy insisting he and his team are being underappreciated, or the guy saying its not that big of a deal.

I'll go with the guy leading up to win 89...

I see your point....I think you can bet on one thing he's the same guy in the locker room and with Stanford being the only team to rain on his parade (twice) in their last 100 games or so, they just might go on another run.

It shouldn't count?? is this because your a chauvinist (male)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I've already stated why i feel it shouldnt count.

UCLA should have the men's record
UCONN should have the women's record

UCONN shouldnt have THE record. different game, different record.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:58 pm

baseball wrote:I've already stated why i feel it shouldn't count.

with absolutely no desire to argue, I wanna say this

Same game
Same gender Coach
Same Division
Different Gender of Players

If it were Black vs White players both Male gender, would it be a different record??
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:54 pm

winner-within wrote:

Same game
Same gender Coach
Same Division

If it were Black vs White players both Male gender, would it be a different record??

Black vs. white is different then male vs. female, so how is that a comparison? Like I mentioned earlier...it would be like a women's softball player hitting more homeruns then a male baseball player and saying they own the record.

If you're going to be picky and say softball and baseball are different, how about olympic swimming. why don't they share the same 100m record? why are they seperated?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Same game
Same gender Coach
Same Division

Black vs. white is different then male vs. female, so how is that a comparison? Like I mentioned earlier...it would be like a women's softball player hitting more homeruns then a male baseball player and saying they own the record.

If you're going to be picky and say softball and baseball are different, how about olympic swimming. why don't they share the same 100m record? why are they seperated?

Softball/baseball- the fence is closer....record has to be different
swimming- its a timed sport....record has to be different
Basketball- same size court, same free throw line, same three point line, same time on clock....winning 90, same difficulty, same difference.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

why does length of the fence matter? how many Division I baseball teams have the EXACT same dimensions along the outfield fence? say one team has a 360' fence down the left field line, and team 2 has a 330' fence. records should be different right?

times sport means it has to be different? it's the same length, same instrument to measure time, same number of lanes, same width of lanes..only difference is male/female.

There are plenty of differences between men's and womens basketball
- 35 sec shot clock for men, 30 for women
- women 3 point line is 19'9", men is 20'9"
- men have a 10 second back court call, women dont
- ball is 28.5 cm compared a 29.5 mens ball

its a different game...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm

baseball wrote:why does length of the fence matter? how many Division I baseball teams have the EXACT same dimensions along the outfield fence? say one team has a 360' fence down the left field line, and team 2 has a 330' fence. records should be different right?

times sport means it has to be different? it's the same length, same instrument to measure time, same number of lanes, same width of lanes..only difference is male/female.

There are plenty of differences between men's and womens basketball
- 35 sec shot clock for men, 30 for women
- women 3 point line is 19'9", men is 20'9"
- men have a 10 second back court call, women dont
- ball is 28.5 cm compared a 29.5 mens ball

its a different game...

mens Baseball and girls Softball are hugely different, your right....even comparing win streaks would be non-sense
swimming records cannot be compared between men and women, as like Track records.

Streaks on the hard court in NCAA (men or women) on the other hand are the same difference, for the simple fact each team, Men or Women, have to compete with the same intensity of opponent on a seasonal basis.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 pm

winner-within wrote:mens Baseball and girls Softball are hugely different, your right....even comparing win streaks would be non-sense
swimming records cannot be compared between men and women, as like Track records.

Streaks on the hard court in NCAA (men or women) on the other hand are the same difference, for the simple fact each team, Men or Women, have to compete with the same intensity of opponent on a seasonal basis.

Why can't swimming and track be compared? They have to compete against opponents everytime.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 pm

I realize softball and baseball arent identical twins (neither are mens and womens basketball), that's why i brought in swimming. so far the only reason swimming and track cant be compared is becore they are timed....anything, i dont know, better with that one? or is that just another example of you disagreeing to disagree?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 pm

baseball wrote:I realize softball and baseball arent identical twins (neither are mens and womens basketball), that's why i brought in swimming. so far the only reason swimming and track cant be compared is becore they are timed....anything, i dont know, better with that one? or is that just another example of you disagreeing to disagree?

two olympians go to the Olympics in swimming one male, one female...they both dominate, they are both from the same country, they both swim the same 6 events.....the mans times are better (naturally)....he wins six gold metals, she takes home 6 golds also. this happens 20 years apart from one another....different coaches different era's. These are 2 different achievement's, but equal in complexity, equal in improbability. Gino and his teams win 90 in a row....Wooden and his NBA hall of famers (made wooden's job easier) win 88, both equal in complexity, equal in improbability.....but the last time i checked 90 is 2 more than 88 so the record stands at 90 which is more of an accomplishment even if the players wear sports bra's and not jocks.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 am

so its ok for men and women to be compared in some sports, just not others?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 am

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:I realize softball and baseball arent identical twins (neither are mens and womens basketball), that's why i brought in swimming. so far the only reason swimming and track cant be compared is becore they are timed....anything, i dont know, better with that one? or is that just another example of you disagreeing to disagree?

two olympians go to the Olympics in swimming one male, one female...they both dominate, they are both from the same country, they both swim the same 6 events.....the mans times are better (naturally)....he wins six gold metals, she takes home 6 golds also. this happens 20 years apart from one another....different coaches different era's. These are 2 different achievement's, but equal in complexity, equal in improbability. Gino and his teams win 90 in a row....Wooden and his NBA hall of famers (made wooden's job easier) win 88, both equal in complexity, equal in improbability.....but the last time i checked 90 is 2 more than 88 so the record stands at 90 which is more of an accomplishment even if the players wear sports bra's and not jocks.

You don't think Gino's girls make it any easier for him, he gets the best recruits year in and year out just like wooden did back in the day. 90 is impressive no doubt about it, but I would say the 88 was more impressive.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 am

I hate to say it, but I actually agree with winner on this one. In my book, the record is now 90. Do I think Gino is a better coach than Wooden? No, the number of titles UCLA had makes Wooden far and away the better coach because of the other accomplishments. titles mean more to me than consecutive games won.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things