UCONN girls

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: UCONN girls

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:08 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I hate to say it, but I actually agree with winner on this one. In my book, the record is now 90. Do I think Gino is a better coach than Wooden? No, the number of titles UCLA had makes Wooden far and away the better coach because of the other accomplishments. titles mean more to me than consecutive games won.

Titles do mean more....But when I started this thread it was to give Kudo's for the streak to Gino and the UCONN ladies program, it was also to get opinions on how Gino was handling the situation, and in hind sight he (like a few have noted) might be wishing he would have said something different, I don't know...most of those coaches are so bull headed (thats why they are good) that they would never own up to, or retract anything.

I have heard Wooden speak and have read about him and I think he would have come across (in today's world) as extremely Brass even more so than Gino... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 pm

baseball wrote:so its ok for men and women to be compared in some sports, just not others?

Its totally OK to Ball (no pun intended) this streak into one accomplishment, one record, yes...Gender is not the issue, Gino (maybe grudgingly, probably even regretfully) made gender an issue.
I personally, did get where he was coming ...

the media was willing and ready to make this the new NCAA record.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 pm

winner-within wrote: the media was willing and ready to make this the new NCAA record.

Exactly...the media was ready to make it an NCAA record. Only one thing stops that, the NCAA doesn't want to make it the new NCAA record.

NCAA Women's Division I[edit] All games90 games — Connecticut

Streak started November 18, 2008 (defeated Georgia Tech 82–71)
Streak ended December 30, 2010 (defeated by Stanford 59-71)
Note: The Wayland Baptist University women's basketball team achieved a winning streak of 131 games which started November 7, 1953 and ended March 20, 1958 (ended by Nashville Business School 42-46). However, since women's basketball was not sponsored by the NCAA at that time Wayland Baptist played in an Amateur Athletic Union[4].

[edit] Regular-season games onlyBy NCAA convention, the "regular season" does not include games in conference tournaments or in any national postseason tournament.

71 games — Connecticut

Streak started February 9, 2008 (defeated Seton Hall 82-36)
NCAA Men's Division I
All games88 games — UCLA

Streak started January 30, 1971 (defeated UC Santa Barbara 74-61) following 82-89 loss to Notre Dame, January 23, 1971
Streak ended January 19, 1974 (ended by Notre Dame 70–71)
[edit] Regular-season games onlyBy NCAA convention, the "regular season" does not include games in conference tournaments or in any national postseason tournament.

74 games — UCLA

This streak was a subset of UCLA's overall winning streak of 88 games, with the same starting and ending dates.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:05 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote: the media was willing and ready to make this the new NCAA record.

Exactly...the media was ready to make it an NCAA record. Only one thing stops that, the NCAA doesn't want to make it the new NCAA record.

NCAA Women's Division I[edit] All games90 games — Connecticut

Streak started November 18, 2008 (defeated Georgia Tech 82–71)
Streak ended December 30, 2010 (defeated by Stanford 59-71)
Note: The Wayland Baptist University women's basketball team achieved a winning streak of 131 games which started November 7, 1953 and ended March 20, 1958 (ended by Nashville Business School 42-46). However, since women's basketball was not sponsored by the NCAA at that time Wayland Baptist played in an Amateur Athletic Union[4].

71 games — Connecticut

Streak started February 9, 2008 (defeated Seton Hall 82-36)
NCAA Men's Division I
All games88 games — UCLA

Streak started January 30, 1971 (defeated UC Santa Barbara 74-61) following 82-89 loss to Notre Dame, January 23, 1971
Streak ended January 19, 1974 (ended by Notre Dame 70–71)

74 games — UCLA

This streak was a subset of UCLA's overall winning streak of 88 games, with the same starting and ending dates.

Thats my point, isn't the Media usually the instigator??.........your research is enlightening and well appreciated but the record stands at 90.

taken from ABC sports:
"But the Lady Huskies haven't just beaten the competition to get this far -- they've flat-out trounced them, winning by an average of 30 points since their streak began more than two years ago with a win against Georgia Tech on Nov. 16, 2008. Their streak has earned them two national championships along the way."

and I say they will land another in March.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:22 pm

So leagues/divisions/sports/etc. base records on what the media says should be record? Look around, there isnt one link that has mens and womens records combined, so why would this be any different?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... index.html

Also...what does your ABC piece have to do with the winning streak at 90 being the record?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm

baseball wrote:So leagues/divisions/sports/etc. base records on what the media says should be record? Look around, there isn't one link that has mens and womens records combined, so why would this be any different?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... index.html

Also...what does your ABC piece have to do with the winning streak at 90 being the record?

I just liked how it sounded, and it emphasises their dominance while setting the record....probably a female writer writing it, RIGHT! but a games a game! its like the world chess champion is always a male.....is that because they are smarter? wait, don't answer that.... or is it women (the ones that run the court) just don't like to sit around on their behinds all day.

all in all, 2 impressive feats on the hard court, and lets just go with your Idea of "its not near the feat" tell that to your daughter....or better yet try and bring up the what UCLA did in the 70's without UCONN women coming into the conversation.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

wheres the post i said its not near the feat? its a great accomplishment, yes.

I'll try to make it more clear for you:

UCONN women set a record for most consecutive wins with 90, they just didn't "Break" UCLA's streak of 88. They set a women's record, not an overall record because the sports are compared with combined record books.

How about this, Tiger Woods has 14 major, Jack Nicklaus has 18. Is Tiger in 3rd place, or trailing just Jack? Afterall, Patty Berg has 15 majors on the women's side.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:08 pm

So does UCLA have the men's record or the overall NCAA record in your opinion?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm

baseball wrote:wheres the post i said its not near the feat? its a great accomplishment, yes.

UCONN women set a record for most consecutive wins with 90, they just didn't "Break" UCLA's streak of 88. They set a women's record, not an overall record because the sports are compared with combined record books.

How about this, Tiger Woods has 14 major, Jack Nicklaus has 18. Is Tiger in 3rd place, or trailing just Jack? Afterall, Patty Berg has 15 majors on the women's side.

Pro Sport, athletes are paid, sponsored, etc. etc..... what I mean is its a total different animal than the NCAA, the NCAA is not worried about a streak they make rules for the Games and competitions of the Colleges involved, they do not make special rules for women and special rules for men....you follow their guidelines, their schedules their everything.

They now have 2 institutions with over two seasons of straight wins, one has 88 the other has 90, thanks to Wooden, Kareem, Walton, Gino, Moore, and the supporting cast's. That's how I see it.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:21 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:wheres the post i said its not near the feat? its a great accomplishment, yes.

Pro Sport, athletes are paid, sponsored, etc. etc..... what I mean is its a total different animal than the NCAA, the NCAA is not worried about a streak they make rules for the Games and competitions of the Colleges involved, they do not make special rules for women and special rules for men..

So because pro athletes are paid, sponsored, etc. etc....it's not as competative as college?

As far as no special rules...go back and read the post about the shot clocks being different, women with no 10 count, different 3 point lines...what do u consider "special rules" if something is called for one gender and not the other?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 pm

different rules don't matter to me in this situation. You still have a team that has beat their competition for 90 straight games....doesn't matter what sport, what gender, what level, etc.

The one thing that I'm wondering in the argument is what do you think about the UCLA record. Is it "the" NCAA record or is it the men's division I NCAA record?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:42 pm

I think it is the men's Division I record.

If you go by what you said in your first paragraph, doesnt matter the sport, gender, or level....UCONN wasnt even 1/5 the way to the record. So they basically just celebrated any other win, which i think they did anyway. They should have celebrated win 71? i believe they previously set it at 70 with Taurasi and co.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:12 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Pro Sport, athletes are paid, sponsored, etc. etc..... what I mean is its a total different animal than the NCAA, the NCAA is not worried about a streak they make rules for the Games and competitions of the Colleges involved, they do not make special rules for women and special rules for men..

So because pro athletes are paid, sponsored, etc. etc....it's not as competative as college?

As far as no special rules...go back and read the post about the shot clocks being different, women with no 10 count, different 3 point lines...what do u consider "special rules" if something is called for one gender and not the other?

Not as competitive nor not as real, when you throw business into it you lose that competitive edge that will get you a streak of 90 wins.... pride for you team diminishes with the money factor, it becomes more me, me ,me!......You have made it clear that the UCONN huskies women BBall team's run is less the run of UCLA's when its actually 2 more. what am I missing? As i must be missing something else, If UCONN Plays UCLA in women's BBall don't they both have to go by your "special rules" ?? and how would this benefit their streak?
Don't you watch ESPN ?? the only thing different than the two teams we are referring to, is a M and a W............... NCAAW-NCAAM
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 am

to say athletes are competative when they get paid is absolutely ridiculous. If they were just about money, wouldnt they then be MORE competative? after all, there is this thing called a performance incentive in every athlete's contract.

sayin college sports are more competative then professional sports is nothing more then a misconception. The reason they seem more intese is the crowd. Then their are sports like Golf, how is professional golf not MORE competative then college? Whats the difference between a college golfer finishing 4th and finishing 12th at a meet? Some professional tournaments the difference between 4th and 12th is a half-million dollar paycheck.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 am

baseball wrote:to say athletes are competative when they get paid is absolutely ridiculous. If they were just about money, wouldnt they then be MORE competative? after all, there is this thing called a performance incentive in every athlete's contract.

sayin college sports are more competative then professional sports is nothing more then a misconception. The reason they seem more intese is the crowd. Then their are sports like Golf, how is professional golf not MORE competative then college? Whats the difference between a college golfer finishing 4th and finishing 12th at a meet? Some professional tournaments the difference between 4th and 12th is a half-million dollar paycheck.

The topic is UCONN women, and College Sports are much more competitive (if thats the term your using) put the crowd out in the parking lot and the teams are still out to kill one another.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:22 am

baseball wrote:I think it is the men's Division I record.

If you go by what you said in your first paragraph, doesnt matter the sport, gender, or level....UCONN wasnt even 1/5 the way to the record. So they basically just celebrated any other win, which i think they did anyway. They should have celebrated win 71? i believe they previously set it at 70 with Taurasi and co.

That's fine with me and I agree with you. It just wasn't clear with your argument if you were saying UCLA holds the overall record because mens sports are more competitive than womens sports.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am

this is what he said

"I never saw the media say it shouldnt count, althought i think it shouldnt. Now there might be one sportswriter out there who agrees with me and says they shouldnt be compared and thats what he was lashing out at. but the media has a whole has given it more respect then it deserved by comparing it to UCLA's men's record...just my opinion."

....and there were allot more than one sportswriter....thats what Gino noted out....remember Gino is the head coach and the one attending the conferenses not Baseball.....I think he knows who the big wig writers are throughout the nation....Oh! but thats right he's not near the coach Wooded was.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby imTOUGHonTHEnet » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 am

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:to say athletes are competative when they get paid is absolutely ridiculous. If they were just about money, wouldnt they then be MORE competative? after all, there is this thing called a performance incentive in every athlete's contract.

The topic is UCONN women, and College Sports are much more competitive (if thats the term your using) put the crowd out in the parking lot and the teams are still out to kill one another.

the reason you don't see 90 game win streaks in pro sports is because they are much more competitive than college sports!
imTOUGHonTHEnet
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ratman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:24 am

It is 10x easier to recruit in girls college basketball that its getting ridiculous. Tenessee, Stanford, Uconn and maybe Baylor get every top recruit because none of the women players objective is to get to the WNBA because the WNBA is a joke. u can make more money with the job they receive in college, this results in the players wanting to win 4titles in college so they automatically pick the team with the best chance to win titles where as in mens bball the top recruits would pick the best team and system for them to improve and be able to take their game to the next level, the NBA
ratman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 am

ratman wrote:It is 10x easier to recruit in girls college basketball that its getting ridiculous. Tenessee, Stanford, Uconn and maybe Baylor get every top recruit because none of the women players objective is to get to the WNBA because the WNBA is a joke. u can make more money with the job they receive in college, this results in the players wanting to win 4titles in college so they automatically pick the team with the best chance to win titles where as in mens bball the top recruits would pick the best team and system for them to improve and be able to take their game to the next level, the NBA

This is true, they wanna become Mom's and contribute to society rather than sit and cry they aren't being paid enough or are not on a good enough team "so trade me"...... Division 1 NCAAW is far from a cake walk, and if the good schools are getting the top recruits then so be it, Women players are also not worried about being overshadowed thats why the wanna be on a good team, so they can win....allot of great Mens players choose a school so they can be the Star.

Dont get me wrong I love Sports Pro and College Men and Women....but these were some of the same arguments when Blacks wanted to play along with whites.....Nobody or no Gender or no Ethnic group is inferior.

UCONN women won 90 in a row....so anyone out there, please tell me why this is deflatable....in doing so, Make some sense!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Still not sure how you figure someone is "deflating" the accomplishment just by stating it should be a seperate record....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:20 pm

baseball wrote:Still not sure how you figure someone is "deflating" the accomplishment just by stating it should be a seperate record....

You've said enough to read between the lines, and in fact "separate record" is enough....Isn't that why Gino was upset?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:Still not sure how you figure someone is "deflating" the accomplishment just by stating it should be a seperate record....

You've said enough to read between the lines, and in fact "separate record" is enough....Isn't that why Gino was upset?

No lines to read between..if you combine one record, combine them all, thats all im saying. and this is the first time ive ever heard a women's accomplishment compared to a men's. Until someone other then the media, and by that i mean the NCAA, recognizes the UConn streak as THE record...its just the women's record in my book.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:34 pm

UCONN doesn't have a record. They is no record that is THE RECORD. There is a men's record and a women's record. UCLA holds the men's record with 88 straight wins. Wayland Baptist holds the women's record with 131 in my book. If you don't count that since it wasn't sanctioned with the NCAA back then, thats fine. Then UCONN holds the women's record with 90.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 pm

My last post on the topic

Longest D1 Basketball win streak

UCONN women 90

other college win streaks
UCLA men 88
Wayland Baptist 131

in order, degree of difficulty
1.UCONN women
2.UCLA
3.Wayland Baptist
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things