SO COME ON GURU'S

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

SO COME ON GURU'S

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Do they do it... do they win the world series...and if they do why? lets go a little deeper in the well, do we have a contender like in 88' or 91' or dont we?

My vote....they do
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: SO COME ON GURU'S

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 pm

They won the World Series in 1987 and 1991...not 1988!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Anyone that makes the playoffs can win it all. So the Twins could win it all but they always seem to choke.

I could look this up, but I'm too lazy right now, since 2003 I think the Vikings have more playoffs wins than the Twins.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:32 am

No they dont. Twins cannot beat the Yankees in 7 games. Even if they have home field. It's in their heads. Phillies over Yankees
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 am

baseball18 wrote:No they dont. Twins cannot beat the Yankees in 7 games. Even if they have home field. It's in their heads. Phillies over Yankees

This year that wont matter....Twins have the Horses, especially if Morneau comes in to hit..

They also have the best Bull Pen...and that will be the difference
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 am

I think the Twins will make to the ALCS and then get beat by Tampa Bay in 6. I don't think their pitching will hold up against Tampa Bay. (If they meet Tampa in the 1st round they will get beat in the 1st round.) I hope I am wrong and they go all the way but I just don't see it happening. I would feel a lot better if Mourneau was 100% healthy and Mauer's knee was 100%.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 am

Good pitching always beats good hitting in the playoffs. The Twins have good pitching, but not great pitching. The Yankees and Rays pitching, especially the starters they can throw in a short series, are a tick or two better than the Twins. The Twins bullpen doesn't matter if they are down 3-1 in the late innings. Twins are going to have to show me that they can score on great pitching.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Hinsa wrote:Good pitching always beats good hitting in the playoffs. The Twins have good pitching, but not great pitching. The Yankees and Rays pitching, especially the starters they can throw in a short series, are a tick or two better than the Twins. The Twins bullpen doesn't matter if they are down 3-1 in the late innings. Twins are going to have to show me that they can score on great pitching.

The Twins Bull pen will matter in each series and its Better than the others...and if there down in the late innings by one or two that's obvious it dont matter, Da!! What matters then is they know how to rally and come back at the Bat....Pavano will make the hugest impression this Fall in Baseball...he will prove that he is Ace material.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:08 pm

winner-within wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Good pitching always beats good hitting in the playoffs. The Twins have good pitching, but not great pitching. The Yankees and Rays pitching, especially the starters they can throw in a short series, are a tick or two better than the Twins. The Twins bullpen doesn't matter if they are down 3-1 in the late innings. Twins are going to have to show me that they can score on great pitching.

The Twins Bull pen will matter in each series and its Better than the others...and if there down in the late innings by one or two that's obvious it dont matter, Da!! What matters then is they know how to rally and come back at the Bat....Pavano will make the hugest impression this Fall in Baseball...he will prove that he is Ace material.

My point is that I don't think the Twins are going to have enough leads to make their bullpen relevant, Da!!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 am

oh ok :lol: so whos your team ??
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I've been a Twins fan for almost 50 years. But I am also a realist. I am simply stating my opinion of what the Twins will face in the playoffs this year.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:07 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball18 wrote:No they dont. Twins cannot beat the Yankees in 7 games. Even if they have home field. It's in their heads. Phillies over Yankees

This year that wont matter....Twins have the Horses, especially if Morneau comes in to hit..

Your "if" is relying on a guy who hasnt seen a pitch in nearly 4 months to come in and power the team to victory?

IMO for the twins to make a run at the WS they need to have April Liriano show up and get Blackburn out of the rotation. theres enough breaks in teh playoffs that they dont need 5 starting pitchers.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:53 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Your "if" is relying on a guy who hasnt seen a pitch in nearly 4 months to come in and power the team to victory?

IMO for the twins to make a run at the WS they need to have April Liriano show up and get Blackburn out of the rotation. theres enough breaks in teh playoffs that they dont need 5 starting pitchers.

well seems I'm not afraid to rely...Hes been hitting....but if he never plays another inning then some day there will be a movie about Justin taking a cheap shot in the head from a looser 2end baseman...the Morneau story is so sad fro me and because of it his teammates and manager are going to take this new stadium and the best fans in the world and win a world series....and the vikes are going to win the Superbowl because the nation is finally going to quit crying about Katrina (I picked Atlanta on all three pools, Thank you) Twins win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:16 am

winner-within wrote:well seems I'm not afraid to rely...Hes been hitting....but if he never plays another inning then some day there will be a movie about Justin taking a cheap shot in the head from a looser 2end baseman...the Morneau story is so sad fro me and because of it his teammates and manager are going to take this new stadium and the best fans in the world and win a world series....and the vikes are going to win the Superbowl because the nation is finally going to quit crying about Katrina (I picked Atlanta on all three pools, Thank you) Twins win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Another post where more then half of it is irrelevant. And if you think hitting a Rick Anderson batting practice pitch is hitting then theres really nothing i can say to that. If that's the case why do they have rehab assignments? who cares if a pitcher just got off the 60 day dl, hes been throwing in the bullpen so lets throw him into the fire right away. Justin's been taking swings in the cage, oh we're facing Sabathia today, why not throw him in the lineup. I could take a bat and go to a cage for a month, doesnt mean I'm ready to see Major League pitchers.

And how would that be considered a cheap shot? Maybe if Morneau slid more then 3 feet from the base he wouldve been able to get his head down. you make it sound like the 2nd baseman just stood there and intentionally kneed him in the head.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 am

I think we will see Justin, if not...so be it! I do know that if he shows up he will contribute...just the type of player he is.

The irrelevancy of my post's is the story teller in me.......I have a tough time staying directly on the topic in life....allot of times something said or something I see reminds me of a song, so then I sing it. or in this case write it down. :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 am

I don't think we'll be seeing Justin. He has headaches every time he runs.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 am

cubsfan wrote:I don't think we'll be seeing Justin. He has headaches every time he runs.

that reminds me of a story (true besides) I once heard, Doc asked this certain young fella "how often do you have a Bowel movement" and the Kid replied "only when I run" :lol:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:03 am

winner-within wrote:
cubsfan wrote:I don't think we'll be seeing Justin. He has headaches every time he runs.

that reminds me of a story (true besides) I once heard, Doc asked this certain young fella "how often do you have a Bowel movement" and the Kid replied "only when I run" :lol:

What relevance does this have towards my comment? He has had multiple concussions. He is suffering from post-concussion syndrome. The doctors will not clear him until his headaches subside.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:58 pm

guess Morneau just wasnt hitting them batting practice pitches well enough huh?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 am

baseball wrote:guess Morneau just wasnt hitting them batting practice pitches well enough huh?

sadest story in baseball....he wouldve been MVP!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:35 pm

winner-within wrote:The Twins Bull pen will matter in each series and its Better than the others...and if there down in the late innings by one or two that's obvious it dont matter, Da!! What matters then is they know how to rally and come back at the Bat....Pavano will make the hugest impression this Fall in Baseball...he will prove that he is Ace material.

Yankee bullpen 1
Twins bullpen 0
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:40 am

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:The Twins Bull pen will matter in each series and its Better than the others...and if there down in the late innings by one or two that's obvious it dont matter, Da!! What matters then is they know how to rally and come back at the Bat....Pavano will make the hugest impression this Fall in Baseball...he will prove that he is Ace material.

Yankee bullpen 1
Twins bullpen 0

Series aint over yet......Larino chocked that game away.....not the bull pen
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51 am

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:

Yankee bullpen 1
Twins bullpen 0

Series aint over yet......Larino chocked that game away.....not the bull pen

The only person who choked that game away was Crain wreck. Come on winner defend Crain wreck on that one, the guy is down right terrible and I don't care what anyone says.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:16 am

I'd like to point out Crain got no help from the ump on the first pitch of that at-bat...fastball right down the middle (even shown on the PitchTrack online) and it was called a ball...seiously?!?! Liriano didn't choke away the game...Gardy should have brought in Mijares against Granderson.

but really the Twins had their chances late in the game and couldn't quite get the big hit.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:17 am

ALSO...listening to those announcers sickens me...they are so ANTI-Minnesota!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things