Tom Brady

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Tom Brady

Postby classB4ever » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:14 pm

I have read somewhere that they did a study on the throwing mechanics of a football and that Tom Brady has the best mechanics of all quarterbacks. They say his mechanics are nearly flawless. This of course doesn't mean it makes him the best in game situations, etc., but thought it was interesting.
classB4ever
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Then depth wise the AFC is stronger. I think both conferences are really strong though.
Hail the Bison!
User avatar
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Cass County

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Tom wins better than anyone ever has at the QB position...combine that with the fact that he was picked #199 and Peyton was picked #1....he's a better QB...there final answer
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby thatguy422 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 pm

winner-within wrote:Tom wins better than anyone ever has at the QB position...combine that with the fact that he was picked #199 and Peyton was picked #1....he's a better QB...there final answer


Why does the fact that he was drafted later make him better? That's dumb. You can tell me he surprised the world, which he did, but that doesn't make him better.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm

thatguy422 wrote:
winner-within wrote:Tom wins better than anyone ever has at the QB position...combine that with the fact that he was picked #199 and Peyton was picked #1....he's a better QB...there final answer


Why does the fact that he was drafted later make him better? That's dumb. You can tell me he surprised the world, which he did, but that doesn't make him better.


did he really suprise the world??....I think the surprise is the #1 pick (Peyton). has only gotten one ring (at the ripe old age of 34)....or let me guess. Your so smart you would have predicted that...Right?

think about it... you know your good....you have to wait till the 6th round... waiting.... hoping that someone saw somthing they liked....your picked and you work you butt off and get 3 rings by the time your 32...2 superbowl MVP's...play in another super bowl...first one to a hundred wins in the regular season (soon, he's at 98)................when you walk on, or your drafted late, or have to prove your last name...rather than being born with it..then that makes you better
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 am

Drafts are based alot on needs. You could be talented enough to be the #1 pick, but if that team doesnt take you, you could easily slide down to 8-9. Same with being a borderline 1st round pick. A player projected to go in the late 1st, early 2nd, could easily slip to the 3rd or 4th round.

I know its basketball, but a draft is a draft. Portland decided to pick Oden over Durant, Durant is and was out of college clearly the better player. the kicker...Portland had Roy on the perimeter and absolutely no inside game. So you tell me, would you go with the guy who can control the paint, or another scoring wing?

In the 2000 draft, Brady's class. there were only 3 QB's taken in the first 154 picks.

hindsight is always better then making a decision when you have to isnt it?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 am

winner-within wrote:when you walk on, or your drafted late, or have to prove your last name...rather than being born with it..then that makes you better


It's easier to play when you have a last name no one knows. when youre "born with it" you have the pressure of living up to expectations and nothing you do will ever be good enough. When you exceed those loftly expectations, that makes you pretty dang good.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:47 pm

baseball wrote:Drafts are based alot on needs. You could be talented enough to be the #1 pick, but if that team doesnt take you, you could easily slide down to 8-9. Same with being a borderline 1st round pick. A player projected to go in the late 1st, early 2nd, could easily slip to the 3rd or 4th round.

I know its basketball, but a draft is a draft. Portland decided to pick Oden over Durant, Durant is and was out of college clearly the better player. the kicker...Portland had Roy on the perimeter and absolutely no inside game. So you tell me, would you go with the guy who can control the paint, or another scoring wing?

In the 2000 draft, Brady's class. there were only 3 QB's taken in the first 154 picks.

hindsight is always better then making a decision when you have to isnt it?


unfortunately your analysis of the draft is incorrect....lets use one of the particular QB's we are eluding to for an example....if in fact the colts would have had Brett Favre at QB back when Peyton came in...they still may have taken Peyton (crazy not to) but if your analysis in correct he slips to 8th or 9th if everybody else is sitting good at QB also....If you are the #1 talent out there coming out of college headed to the NFL (cause the NFL is different than the NBA) than your #1 pick...plain and simple.....I'm not being disgruntle, I just think I am closer to reality on the draft....especially in the 2010 era of sports are concerned.
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby Indy5 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 pm

winner-within wrote:If you are the #1 talent out there coming out of college headed to the NFL (cause the NFL is different than the NBA) than your #1 pick...plain and simple.....I'm not being disgruntle, I just think I am closer to reality on the draft....especially in the 2010 era of sports are concerned.

Most positions, you are right. But, if that team has a franchise QB (doubtful, since they were the worst team in the league) they will probably go another direction because they wouldn't want to waste that talent for that long.

The flipside of that thinking can be seen last year. The Rams needed a franchise QB, so they take Bradford instead of the best player in the draft, Suh. It also happened in 2007 when the Raiders took JaMarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:If you are the #1 talent out there coming out of college headed to the NFL (cause the NFL is different than the NBA) than your #1 pick...plain and simple.....I'm not being disgruntle, I just think I am closer to reality on the draft....especially in the 2010 era of sports are concerned.

Most positions, you are right. But, if that team has a franchise QB (doubtful, since they were the worst team in the league) they will probably go another direction because they wouldn't want to waste that talent for that long.

The flipside of that thinking can be seen last year. The Rams needed a franchise QB, so they take Bradford instead of the best player in the draft, Suh. It also happened in 2007 when the Raiders took JaMarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson.


think of it like this....a lot of QB's picked early in the draft throughout the years have not lived up to their hype
you could almost say this about Peyton......he has the #'s but not the championships...somebody knew somthing about Brady and snagged him....now in the ending phases of their careers Brady has proved to be a better finisher, a more prolific Winner, just as good as a leader.....he may not see the defense as good (virtually irrelevant in this debate) but does he really have to, this late in the game.

Peyton is over rated in the sense that he is the best....its like saing Bonds was the Best...he may have been but he was inward and self serving like Peyton....You play Team sports to win with your team, if you happen to stat out, so be it.
You play individual sports to feed the self serving soul you were given...If you become the best or #1 you have accomplised what you need as an individual player. I dont like to give any one player to much recognition if he or she has commited to the team sports, they never seem to realize their nothing without their team.....Brady knows this.
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 pm

winner-within wrote:If you are the #1 talent out there coming out of college headed to the NFL (cause the NFL is different than the NBA) than your #1 pick...plain and simple.....I'm not being disgruntle, I just think I am closer to reality on the draft....especially in the 2010 era of sports are concerned.


That's why the Lions are still the bottom feeders of the NFC Central. Instead of building a "team" they went with the best player philosophy and draft WR's for about 3-4 straight years.

2002 - Joey Harington - QB
2003 - Charles Rodgers - WR
2004 - Roy Williams - WR
2005 - Mike Williams - WR
2006 - Ernie Sims - LB
2007 - Calvin Johnson - WR
2008 - Gosder Charilus - OT

Wonder why they cant win games....Maybe its not that the passing game is garbage, more so that they have no time to get a passing game when you're o-line is pathetic. year in and year out Detroit is near the top, if not at the top, of league in times sacked. That must mean the receivers are bad and cant get open...nothing to do with the lack of an o-line to block, so why draft a lineman.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby Indy5 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:13 pm

baseball wrote:2003 - Charles Rodgers - WR
2004 - Roy Williams - WR
2005 - Mike Williams - WR

How can you miss so badly on a receiver 3 years in a row? Roy Williams was at least pretty decent in Detroit. He's stunk with Dallas, but was, I think, a one time pro bowler in Detroit.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Tom Brady

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 pm

winner-within wrote:....its like saing Bonds was the Best...he may have been but he was inward and self serving like Peyton....

Give one example where Manning was "inward and self serving."
User avatar
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 pm

winner-within wrote:think of it like this....a lot of QB's picked early in the draft throughout the years have not lived up to their hype
you could almost say this about Peyton......he has the #'s but not the championships...somebody knew somthing about Brady and snagged him.....


You make it sound like they took a gamble to take him. did you not know he was an All-Big Ten player? Led his team to 2 wins in major bowl games. set records at Michigan...which you may or may not know...has a pretty nice football history.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby thatguy422 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:41 am

I still don't understand what being drafted late has to do with how good somebody performs. If you have two people with identical stats but one got drafted later does it really make him better? If so, for what reasoning? They're doing the same thing. I"m not arguing for or against Brady right now I"m just saying I think your reasoning is faulty.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:09 am

thatguy422 wrote:I still don't understand what being drafted late has to do with how good somebody performs. If you have two people with identical stats but one got drafted later does it really make him better? If so, for what reasoning? They're doing the same thing. I"m not arguing for or against Brady right now I"m just saying I think your reasoning is faulty.



Being Drafted late was a point of referense, not reasoning
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:12 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:think of it like this....a lot of QB's picked early in the draft throughout the years have not lived up to their hype
you could almost say this about Peyton......he has the #'s but not the championships...somebody knew somthing about Brady and snagged him.....


You make it sound like they took a gamble to take him. did you not know he was an All-Big Ten player? Led his team to 2 wins in major bowl games. set records at Michigan...which you may or may not know...has a pretty nice football history.



his history or his talents haven't impressed you much.....Oh...did I mention how he is putting another chapter in the history books this season....MVP
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby shooter! » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 am

winner-within wrote:My favorite is when they state Manning will make a great coach or GM and we know once he is done with the game you wont see him again on the field, he will go right to the box and analyse like the rest of the guys who think they know everything....Brady and Favre are the type that will want to keep the game going and share their knowlege with the young guys and help them become better......by coaching them or training them.

Manning might have the STATS (like lebron) but the tough guys and the guys with rings still win with the true Football fans hearts over....Peyton is an arogant player who is lucky he had the recievers he's had.



you are probably one of the least intelligent people on here. Manning is arrogant? does he ever talk himself up?? his recievers are lucky to have him, he makes collie a 5th rounder look like he's going to the pro bowl!
shooter!
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby shooter! » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 am

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:think of it like this....a lot of QB's picked early in the draft throughout the years have not lived up to their hype
you could almost say this about Peyton......he has the #'s but not the championships...somebody knew somthing about Brady and snagged him.....


You make it sound like they took a gamble to take him. did you not know he was an All-Big Ten player? Led his team to 2 wins in major bowl games. set records at Michigan...which you may or may not know...has a pretty nice football history.



his history or his talents haven't impressed you much.....Oh...did I mention how he is putting another chapter in the history books this season....MVP


vick
shooter!
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:52 pm

shooter! wrote:
winner-within wrote:My favorite is when they state Manning will make a great coach or GM and we know once he is done with the game you wont see him again on the field, he will go right to the box and analyse like the rest of the guys who think they know everything....Brady and Favre are the type that will want to keep the game going and share their knowlege with the young guys and help them become better......by coaching them or training them.

Manning might have the STATS (like lebron) but the tough guys and the guys with rings still win with the true Football fans hearts over....Peyton is an arogant player who is lucky he had the recievers he's had.



you are probably one of the least intelligent people on here. Manning is arrogant? does he ever talk himself up?? his receivers are lucky to have him, he makes collie a 5th rounder look like he's going to the pro bowl!


and you are from Pembina...:wink:
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby ndfan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:00 pm

winner-within wrote:
shooter! wrote:
winner-within wrote:My favorite is when they state Manning will make a great coach or GM and we know once he is done with the game you wont see him again on the field, he will go right to the box and analyse like the rest of the guys who think they know everything....Brady and Favre are the type that will want to keep the game going and share their knowlege with the young guys and help them become better......by coaching them or training them.

Manning might have the STATS (like lebron) but the tough guys and the guys with rings still win with the true Football fans hearts over....Peyton is an arogant player who is lucky he had the recievers he's had.



you are probably one of the least intelligent people on here. Manning is arrogant? does he ever talk himself up?? his receivers are lucky to have him, he makes collie a 5th rounder look like he's going to the pro bowl!


and you are from Pembina...:wink:


ialto
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Re: Tom Brady

Postby cubsfan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 am

[
winner-within wrote:My favorite is when they state Manning will make a great coach or GM and we know once he is done with the game you wont see him again on the field, he will go right to the box and analyse like the rest of the guys who think they know everything....Brady and Favre are the type that will want to keep the game going and share their knowlege with the young guys and help them become better......by coaching them or training them.

Manning might have the STATS (like lebron) but the tough guys and the guys with rings still win with the true Football fans hearts over....Peyton is an arogant player who is lucky he had the recievers he's had.


I wouldn't call Peyton arrogant, I would call him confident like all other hall of fame caliber players. He does have the stats like Lebron but unlike Lebron, Peyton has a ring already.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Re: Tom Brady

Postby shooter! » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:28 am

how can manning be the best qb day in and day out, but brady is still the best?
shooter!
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Tom Brady

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:38 am

cubsfan wrote:[
winner-within wrote:My favorite is when they state Manning will make a great coach or GM and we know once he is done with the game you wont see him again on the field, he will go right to the box and analyse like the rest of the guys who think they know everything....Brady and Favre are the type that will want to keep the game going and share their knowlege with the young guys and help them become better......by coaching them or training them.

Manning might have the STATS (like lebron) but the tough guys and the guys with rings still win with the true Football fans hearts over....Peyton is an arogant player who is lucky he had the recievers he's had.


I wouldn't call Peyton arrogant, I would call him confident like all other hall of fame caliber players. He does have the stats like Lebron but unlike Lebron, Peyton has a ring already.


I know he is Arrogant...but I will give you this....It may not be what you see (arrogance) on the field.....so I will rephrase....He is always blaming someone for a play gone bad....He and his brother are, Bar None the two biggest pouters in the NFL...Why? because they are Mannings....I firmly believe they don't have near the respect from there players that Brady or Favre has, or many other QB's in the league do....there fun to watch because of their skills but AI cant look at them when a play goes wrong or when they take off their helmets.
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Tom Brady

Postby Indy5 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:44 pm

winner-within wrote:I know he is Arrogant...but I will give you this....It may not be what you see (arrogance) on the field.....so I will rephrase....He is always blaming someone for a play gone bad....He and his brother are, Bar None the two biggest pouters in the NFL...Why? because they are Mannings....I firmly believe they don't have near the respect from there players that Brady or Favre has, or many other QB's in the league do....there fun to watch because of their skills but AI cant look at them when a play goes wrong or when they take off their helmets.

Peyton is not always blaming someone for bad plays. He gets extremely upset because he is such a perfectionist, but he doesn't blame people. Most the time when you see him shaking his head and muttering he is just mad with himself for missing a throw.
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron