Lebron James to the Heat.

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Lebron James to the Heat.

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:43 am

Yea of course if you take Lebron off the cavs you wonder if they will make the playoffs... isn't that a given???? usually if you take one of the best players off their team they wont be very good. You guys do not give his supporting cast credit at all. I for one am glad he left for one reason, he can't use that excuse any more. Oh boo hoo, my team isn't good enough... oh really Lebron, but they were good enough to win 60 plus games 2 seasons in a row?. Then they will need to bring in Chris Paul the next year. just to get lebron his first championship.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:03 am

Rey Finkle(lacesout) wrote:Lebron Quit

Yep! he did quit,
he quit letting $$$$$ dictate his life.....he quit trying to make it to the summit with amateur climbers, he quit trying to please everyone else (formula for failure to success).....and he quit being the Golden Boy of the NBA.
He will now show his true colors (that he makes a good teammate) and I feel sorry for his opponents. You will truly see the best player being the best player this next season.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 am

baseball wrote:
classB4ever wrote:
baseball wrote:
classB4ever wrote: I think the owner is right and James is a disgrace to the Cleveland community.

How? Because he wore a Yankees hat to an Indians game? Because he wore a Cowboy hat to a Browns game? Because he signed with Miami? I didnt know that since he lived in Cleveland he had to be a fan of the Indians and Browns. It's very well documented that LeBron is a huge Yankees fan, so why wouldn't he wear Yankee gear? It would be like Jack Nicholson moving to Dallas and wearing a Dirk jersey when the Lakers come to town.

I've gone to Kansas vs. Colorado games in Boulder to support Dufault, I wore Kansas gear. He had no problem with it because he knew I'm a huge Kansas guy, but still wanted to see him have success. That's something that the citizens of Cleveland never understood about LeBron. Loyalties dont change just by moving towns. If you see LeBron wearing a Marlins hat around Miami, then you can wonder, but i doubt that will happen.

I have never seen/heard LeBron say he was from Cleveland...always Akron. He was drafted by Cleveland, he had no say in that. He supported is favorite teams when they came to town. What an absolute horrible human being, just disgraceful...He had no right to be himself while he Cleveland. He should have put on an act and portrayed himself as a completely different person.

He owes Cleveland nothing.

Not sure what the first 3 paragraphs are about. I personally could care less whether or not he wore LA Laker paraphernalia during the regular season of the NBA. Just as long as he came to do his job. And Lebron did. My problem is he says he's the King. Then why doesn't he bring better players to Cleveland? Why wasn't he willing to take a pay cut in Cleveland to bring better players there? He is doing it now. I am sure that the owner of Cleveland would have loved to bring more talent there. During Jordan's reign, he was the 9th - 24th (depending on the year) highest paid player in the NBA. There was a reason they could surround him with more talent. KG was no better. I don't expect anybody to agree with me on this, and don't care. It is about loyalty. It's been gone in pro sports for many years. Doesn't mean we all have to agree with it. When KG went to Boston it was because Minny couldn't surround him with talent. They tried, but only so much they could do. When you are getting 120 million over 6 years, it's not that easy to find quality players to work into the system (and the Joe Smith debacle didn't help). Why didn't KG take a pay cut if a ring was so important? You can all call it smart, savvy, whatever. I call it selfish. That's the beauty of us all being able to have our own opinion. You know who the smart one is? It's not Lebron. It's D-Wade. He's the one that pulled it all off and is sitting at home smiling right now.

The first 3 paragraphs were a response to you saying he was a disgrace to teh city of Cleveland. Then your reply made it sound like the only reason you called him a disgrace was because he moved.

Scenerio for ya....you are offered 2 jobs, same wages, same duties, everything's the same, only difference is one's in fargo, and the other is in bismarck. you work at the company in bismarck and the job they are offering is a promotion, while the one in Fargo is a fresh start. now since championships arent really awarded in teh business world...say the promotion in bismarck offer is various hours with occasional weekends. now the one in fargo is straight 9-5, M-F, never a weekend ever. Which do you take? Do you stay in bismarck because you don't want people mad at you? Or do you go to Fargo, where it's more convienient for yourself?

My reply was to the owner calling him selfish for leaving. But I will give you one thing. I read some of the owner's further remarks last evening and think he has went WAY over the top.
As for your 2 scenarios, you are comparing apples to oranges. Lebron's schedule, duties, etc. are not going to change. You use weekends in your scenario as the so called chance at a ring. This assumption is saying that Lebron had no chance at winning a ring in Cleveland, which isn't true. Cleveland has been in the hunt for the past number of seasons. If you want to know something personally about me, I have turned down very large job offers to stay at a current job. 2 reasons. Liked the area to raise my children and felt loyalty to the company that gave me a chance to get experience. That's just me and maybe I was wrong for doing it. Once again, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, it's just my opinion. This is perhaps why I feel so strongly against Lebron's reasoning for leaving.

winner-within wrote:
Rey Finkle(lacesout) wrote:Lebron Quit

Yep! he did quit,
he quit letting $$$$$ dictate his life.....he quit trying to make it to the summit with amateur climbers, he quit trying to please everyone else (formula for failure to success).....and he quit being the Golden Boy of the NBA.
He will now show his true colors (that he makes a good teammate) and I feel sorry for his opponents. You will truly see the best player being the best player this next season.

winner, so are you saying he has not been a good teammate and has not been giving it his all in Cleveland? Then maybe it is a good thing he left.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 am

you are right, its good that he left!!

for his critics, I am assuring them that this move will bring out the best in LeBron, as a Player, a teammate and a marketing icon, not to mention a Champion... there is no "I" in team and in Cleavland it was all "I"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:16 am

Fair enough.
Lebron's situation is very unique in a number of ways. First, it has been said that he has given Cleveland 7 years and that should be long enough. The problem with this is he was 18 when this process started. The 7 years have not been his best years. Very young, immature (although mature for his age) and he is just getting into the prime of his basketball career and now he is jumping ship. This is very different then players coming out of college.
Second, his coming from Ohio and being a superstar playing for his home state. This situation is similar to Joe Mauer with the Twins. If Mauer would have left Minnesota, there would have been similar fan based feelings.
Lebron is taking less money to play elsewhere. He could have done this in Cleveland. Jordan's situation is close to this. He took less money and they could upgrade the talent around him. But he could also afford to do it because of his lucrative business deals. Lebron is in a very similar situation.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

classB4ever wrote:Fair enough.
Lebron's situation is very unique in a number of ways. First, it has been said that he has given Cleveland 7 years and that should be long enough. The problem with this is he was 18 when this process started. The 7 years have not been his best years. Very young, immature (although mature for his age) and he is just getting into the prime of his basketball career and now he is jumping ship. This is very different then players coming out of college.
Second, his coming from Ohio and being a superstar playing for his home state. This situation is similar to Joe Mauer with the Twins. If Mauer would have left Minnesota, there would have been similar fan based feelings.
Lebron is taking less money to play elsewhere. He could have done this in Cleveland. Jordan's situation is close to this. He took less money and they could upgrade the talent around him. But he could also afford to do it because of his lucrative business deals. Lebron is in a very similar situation.

I hear ya cluckin big chicken......but I look at this as a more complicated ordeal.....I think we now know there was bad blood with he and Gilbert, you dont repair that...not in today's "big business era"....... the truth is, is he could have done everything possible to stay... but he didn't... we cant relate this to our favorite Pro Athlete...each one is different and each one has their own agenda...hence Farve!!
The LeBron to Miami thing was orchestrated by one of the most prolific individuals in the History of the NBA! Riley...and without Riley LeBron would have not ended up in Miami....
I still think he would have bolted out of Cleavland....with is character emerging as a young man looking for more stimulation I just dont think the Midwest could have competed...not even Chicago.....I personally wanted him to play with Amare (NY)... I think there styles are alike and they would have been able to build on that, not to mention a fierce combo....but I had stated half way through this past season that he and D-Wade would be fun to watch play together also.
All in all not everybody will embrace the move but in time there will be another Topic stealing the show in the sports world...and that's what makes it so fun!!! its real life, not fiction... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm

I just hope all 3 can stay healthy for the next 5 to 6 seasons because I think thats the only way this team doesn't win 3 or 4 championships in the coming years. Not sure what they will have for bench players but it can't be anything to great right now.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:05 pm

winner-within wrote:
classB4ever wrote:Fair enough.

I hear ya cluckin big chicken......but I look at this as a more complicated ordeal.....I think we now know there was bad blood with he and Gilbert, you dont repair that...not in today's "big business era"....... the truth is, is he could have done everything possible to stay... but he didn't... we cant relate this to our favorite Pro Athlete...each one is different and each one has their own agenda...hence Farve!!
The LeBron to Miami thing was orchestrated by one of the most prolific individuals in the History of the NBA! Riley...and without Riley LeBron would have not ended up in Miami....
I still think he would have bolted out of Cleavland....with is character emerging as a young man looking for more stimulation I just dont think the Midwest could have competed...not even Chicago.....I personally wanted him to play with Amare (NY)... I think there styles are alike and they would have been able to build on that, not to mention a fierce combo....but I had stated half way through this past season that he and D-Wade would be fun to watch play together also.
All in all not everybody will embrace the move but in time there will be another Topic stealing the show in the sports world...and that's what makes it so fun!!! its real life, not fiction... :)

:lol:
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:31 pm

ndfan wrote:I just hope all 3 can stay healthy for the next 5 to 6 seasons because I think thats the only way this team doesn't win 3 or 4 championships in the coming years. Not sure what they will have for bench players but it can't be anything to great right now.

I don't think they win it all this year. I do think they are poised to win a lot of them in the future, just not this year. The reason being, it will be very hard to find good role players this year. It will take time to maybe draft some good role players and the big thing, IMO, is that they don't have the mid-level exception this year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Indy5 wrote:
ndfan wrote:I just hope all 3 can stay healthy for the next 5 to 6 seasons because I think thats the only way this team doesn't win 3 or 4 championships in the coming years. Not sure what they will have for bench players but it can't be anything to great right now.

I don't think they win it all this year. I do think they are poised to win a lot of them in the future, just not this year. The reason being, it will be very hard to find good role players this year. It will take time to maybe draft some good role players and the big thing, IMO, is that they don't have the mid-level exception this year.

regardless of the depth, role players, etc. etc..... there is nobody in the league that can catch this trio.....this dwarfs any draft story or free agency story of all time....I think if they stay healthy that they could even make a run at Chicago's 72-10 record.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:18 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

regardless of the depth, role players, etc. etc..... there is nobody in the league that can catch this trio.....this dwarfs any draft story or free agency story of all time....I think if they stay healthy that they could even make a run at Chicago's 72-10 record.

I agree with you that in years to come they could. You have to realize that they can't play 3 on 5. In the NBA you HAVE to have role players and a bench. When Boston won(even though it's not the same because they were at the end of their careers) they had good production from Perkins, and Rondo stepped it up. Posey and House were both good off the bench.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I agree with you that in years to come they could. You have to realize that they can't play 3 on 5. In the NBA you HAVE to have role players and a bench. When Boston won(even though it's not the same because they were at the end of their careers) they had good production from Perkins, and Rondo stepped it up. Posey and House were both good off the bench.

The heat have a good pg in Chalmers (who will prob. have the same production Rondo did during boston's title year). Haslem will be serviceable and guys like eddie house are a dime a dozen.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Don't have a bench right now haha...as of the last time i saw they only have a 5 man team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:01 pm

The Schwab wrote:The heat have a good pg in Chalmers (who will prob. have the same production Rondo did during boston's title year). Haslem will be serviceable and guys like eddie house are a dime a dozen.

I don't think Chalmers will even be at the level Rondo was. And last I had heard, Haslem didn't have a deal in place. He is still a free agent.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Indy5 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:The heat have a good pg in Chalmers (who will prob. have the same production Rondo did during boston's title year). Haslem will be serviceable and guys like eddie house are a dime a dozen.

I don't think Chalmers will even be at the level Rondo was. And last I had heard, Haslem didn't have a deal in place. He is still a free agent.

Haslem turned down a 25 mil. offer to sign a 12 mill offer to stay with the heat. And no one was talking about Rondo that year, we are talking the Rondo of the title season, not rondo in the playoffs this year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Haslem turned down a 25 mil. offer to sign a 12 mill offer to stay with the heat. And no one was talking about Rondo that year, we are talking the Rondo of the title season, not rondo in the playoffs this year.

I know that, But even that Rondo had some spirtability back then.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 am

Mike Miller just said he was going to sign a 5 year deal with the Heat. He might have the highest 3pt fg percentage in the league this year with all the open shots he's going to get.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 am

The Schwab wrote:Mike Miller just said he was going to sign a 5 year deal with the Heat. He might have the highest 3pt fg percentage in the league this year with all the open shots he's going to get.

I like Mike Miller....South Dakota boy I believe!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 am

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Mike Miller just said he was going to sign a 5 year deal with the Heat. He might have the highest 3pt fg percentage in the league this year with all the open shots he's going to get.

I like Mike Miller....South Dakota boy I believe!!

yes he is. went to college at florida
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigboyd » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 am

I think LeBron made a pretty good decision, I mean the guys gotta be worried about his health. There can't be much left of his back after carrying Cleveland for 7 years....
bigboyd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classbboy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:49 pm

If Bosh, Wade, and Lebron had all signed with the heat within a span of 2-5 years, instead of all in one offseason, this would not have been as big a deal as it is made out to be.

But on the topic of Lebron, he made the smart choice, but not the right choice. The right choice would be to carry Cleveland to a title for his "hometown" (no matter how hard that would be).
classbboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 pm

classbboy wrote:If Bosh, Wade, and Lebron had all signed with the heat within a span of 2-5 years, instead of all in one offseason, this would not have been as big a deal as it is made out to be.

But on the topic of Lebron, he made the smart choice, but not the right choice. The right choice would be to carry Cleveland to a title for his "hometown" (no matter how hard that would be).

I can't even respond to this.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:47 am

Recent article:

Michael Jordan played on the Dream Team in the Olympics, but says he never dreamed of putting together an NBA supergroup like the one that formed in Miami this summer.

In an interview after playing in a charity golf event in Nevada, Jordan questioned LeBron James' decision to join the Miami Heat after seven years in Cleveland.

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team. But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Jordan won six titles with the Chicago Bulls, before moving on to play for the Wizards and work in their front office. He now is the majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats.

His good friend and fellow former NBA great, Charles Barkley, bashed the move earlier in the week to the Arizona Republic.

"Mike and I are in 100 percent agreement on this. If you're the two-time defending NBA MVP, you don't leave anywhere. They come to you. That's ridiculous. I like LeBron. He's a great player. But I don't think in the history of sports you can find a two-time defending MVP leaving to go play with other people."
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:50 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/post/_ ... bron-james

I agree with this article 100%. times are different then when MJ played.

"But something funny happened in Springfield, Mass. Remember his Hall of Fame acceptance speech? Didn't we all come away from that with the news that life inside Jordan's shoes is not all peachy? He's bitter! About a lot of things! With the world's blessing to discuss whatever he wanted, Jordan mostly just spat insults.

One of the first things he brought up was the guy who built the Bulls team he won all those titles with, Jerry Krause. "Jerry’s not here," explains Jordan. "I don’t know who’d invite him. I didn’t. ... " All this bitterness, even though they won championships together!

The reason I bring this up is: Jordan proved right there and then that letting someone else build the roster for you can make you a very bitter man, even if you win six titles.

Players have the power of free agency, which, James and Wade have demonstrated, is one new way to solve that problem.

Jordan's career is widely seen as an example of why James and Wade ought not play together. It costs them both points as the man.

But you can also see Jordan's life to date as a textbook case of why building your own roster might be the smartest thing you can do, even if it isn't how things used to be done."
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 am

my opinion on what MJ said is....he shouldn't have said it!!..too many variables in his reference to Magic and Larry example....I wont go into all of them but the obvious is that Larry and Magic had both set the stage for MJ in the NBA.....they were the NBA in the 80's.... and had already made the huge impression(winning Championships before jordan was even out of high school)....hence not even worried about MJ or MJ's future.
MJ referred to the three BIGS of all time.......... of course this wasn't going to happen!!....dumb reference!
anyway, out of the three players in Miami now.... LeBron is by far the Icon and after play starts this fall the world will know that.
Lebron having Wade and Bosh is no different than MJ having Pippen and Grant, or Magic having Kareem and Worthy, or Larry having Johnson and Machale.
I am not a big fan of MJ's since he left the NBA, he displays to much arrogance and hasn't given back like he was given to. Charles Barkley after the NBA (and actually during somewhat) has always been an Idiot (when he talks) in my opinion.

Bottom line, dont put to much weight into these statements LeBron....the fact of the matter is you wont have to worry ever hearing from a Sports announcer or sports figure, these words "he should have left Cleavland in 2010 when he had a chance"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things