Where is Lebron going?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Where is Lebron going?

Postby dwade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 pm

So where does everybody think Lebron James is gonna end up and why?
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Where is Lebron going?

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I think he will remain in Cleveland and that Chris Bosh will end up there also. No startling evidence to back this opinion up, just a gut feeling. (or maybe its the burritos I had for supper!)
I hope he stays in Cleveland and Duane Wade stays in Miami. Just my feelings.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:03 pm

dwade wrote:So where does everybody think Lebron James is gonna end up and why?

Chicago....... Midwest city, no big change in reference to fans...Mentor to Rose...and could actually make a dent in Jordans legacy....I said dent!!....remember West, Wilt, and Magic and Kareem all have legacy's in the same City....so no need to worry about a clash...different era's anyways....and the Bulls deserve a chance a t redemption...they have slowly climbed out of the post legacy slump and would be ready to rule the east with the king.... 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby tayshaun_prince » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 am

I honestly have Lebron going to Los Angeles. The LA Sparks would be a good fit for Lebron because it would be the closest thing he is ever going to get to an NBA ring. I think going to the Sparks would allow him to get his most important attributes , his stats, up. Its really only speculation right now, but with Lebron's mind set on his stats and willness to forgo an NBA championship, which might I add is a decision most players arent willing to risk, he could very well wind-up a Spark come July!
tayshaun_prince
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

By the time Lebron is finished he will have atleast 3 NBA championships under his belt. THe guy is to good not to lead a team to a championship. I honestly have no idea what team he will be playing for when he does.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:26 pm

ndfan wrote:By the time Lebron is finished he will have atleast 3 NBA championships under his belt. THe guy is to good not to lead a team to a championship. I honestly have no idea what team he will be playing for when he does.

No way Lebron gets more than 1! He just can't win the "big games." I think Lebron is going to stay put in Cleveland for the simple reason that its his home and would feel like he betrayed them if he leaves without bringing them atleast 1 championship. He will stay with them, maintain his stats, but probably not win a championship because he doesn't have a consistent shot and certainly cant hit the big shots.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:15 pm

dwade wrote:
ndfan wrote:By the time Lebron is finished he will have atleast 3 NBA championships under his belt. THe guy is to good not to lead a team to a championship. I honestly have no idea what team he will be playing for when he does.

No way Lebron gets more than 1! He just can't win the "big games." I think Lebron is going to stay put in Cleveland for the simple reason that its his home and would feel like he betrayed them if he leaves without bringing them atleast 1 championship. He will stay with them, maintain his stats, but probably not win a championship because he doesn't have a consistent shot and certainly cant hit the big shots.

either your trying to get the LeBron boys riled up or your blind "doesn't have a consistent shot and cant hit the big shot" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby dwade » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:33 pm

winner-within wrote:
dwade wrote:

either your trying to get the LeBron boys riled up or your blind "doesn't have a consistent shot and cant hit the big shot" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

I'm just saying it like it is!
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am

dwade wrote:
winner-within wrote:
dwade wrote:

I'm just saying it like it is!

whats your real opinion on LeBron....vs.... Wade, one on one....OH OH!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:38 am

I don't get why everyone acts like there is no way he can go back to Cleveland without being a failure. He has been successful there. Just not in the postseason. If Cleveland can sign LeBron and another player like Bosh or Dirk or Joe Johnson, they would be a perfectly fine option.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 am

Indy5 wrote:I don't get why everyone acts like there is no way he can go back to Cleveland without being a failure. He has been successful there. Just not in the postseason. If Cleveland can sign LeBron and another player like Bosh or Dirk or Joe Johnson, they would be a perfectly fine option.

He could stay...but he wont...I predict He and Bosh and Rose at Chicago...he will retire #23 (wants to anyway) and he will be off to a new beginning!!....if this happens...he has a ring by this time next year. they will play phoenix in the finals...Phil will retire (for sure) and the west will be wide open....By the end of July of this year you are going to see the hugest shake up of the NBA in history........!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:41 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:I don't get why everyone acts like there is no way he can go back to Cleveland without being a failure. He has been successful there. Just not in the postseason. If Cleveland can sign LeBron and another player like Bosh or Dirk or Joe Johnson, they would be a perfectly fine option.

He could stay...but he wont...I predict He and Bosh and Rose at Chicago...he will retire #23 (wants to anyway) and he will be off to a new beginning!!....if this happens...he has a ring by this time next year. they will play phoenix in the finals...Phil will retire (for sure) and the west will be wide open....By the end of July of this year you are going to see the hugest shake up of the NBA in history........!!

I think he has 3 options left. Miami(Have 7 mill more cap space than the knicks), Chicago or Cleveland. Reports have been that Miami might have enough room to resign Wade and 2 other max contracts.

I was also surprised to see all the draft moves that were affected by free agency.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I think he has 3 options left. Miami(Have 7 mill more cap space than the knicks), Chicago or Cleveland. Reports have been that Miami might have enough room to resign Wade and 2 other max contracts.

I was also surprised to see all the draft moves that were affected by free agency.

Oh he will have options but Chicago is his best bet IMO....Cleavland will be just fine they actually lucked out having him this long and he can drag all his loyals right across the bay and loose nothing in that dept, it would be like if Jordan would have left Chicago after his 88-89 seoson and hooked up with Ewing in the Big Apple Chicago could have done nothing about it.... you know thats why Collins got the axe and phil was brought in, otherwise MJ would have bolted. Gilbert and Cavs will suffer way more than the city itself....its like the timberwolves...neither franchise is ever going to make it when their owners are scrounging every dime they can get for nothing put back in.....for LeBron to stay in Cleavland would make no sense.
He owes them nothing...they actually owe him for the entertainment and Gilbert owes him millions more for packing the house every time and getting the TV time for the team. I look foward to watching LeBron next season...he is almost as fun as it was to watch AIR!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:52 pm

winner-within wrote:Oh he will have options but Chicago is his best bet IMO....Cleavland will be just fine they actually lucked out having him this long and he can drag all his loyals right across the bay and loose nothing in that dept, it would be like if Jordan would have left Chicago after his 88-89 seoson and hooked up with Ewing in the Big Apple Chicago could have done nothing about it.... you know thats why Collins got the axe and phil was brought in, otherwise MJ would have bolted. Gilbert and Cavs will suffer way more than the city itself....its like the timberwolves...neither franchise is ever going to make it when their owners are scrounging every dime they can get for nothing put back in.....for LeBron to stay in Cleavland would make no sense.
He owes them nothing...they actually owe him for the entertainment and Gilbert owes him millions more for packing the house every time and getting the TV time for the team. I look foward to watching LeBron next season...he is almost as fun as it was to watch AIR!!!

You accuse the Cavs owner of being cheap and think going to Chicago is the best option for Lebron? The Cavs had the 4th highest payroll last year and Bulls have NEVER paid the luxury tax.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:15 pm

LeBron will end up in Miami
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:05 pm

tayshaun_prince wrote:I honestly have Lebron going to Los Angeles. The LA Sparks would be a good fit for Lebron because it would be the closest thing he is ever going to get to an NBA ring. I think going to the Sparks would allow him to get his most important attributes , his stats, up. Its really only speculation right now, but with Lebron's mind set on his stats and willness to forgo an NBA championship, which might I add is a decision most players arent willing to risk, he could very well wind-up a Spark come July!

Honest question here: I thought the LA Sparks were WNBA?
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:Oh he will have options but Chicago is his best bet IMO....Cleavland will be just fine they actually lucked out having him this long and he can drag all his loyals right across the bay and loose nothing in that dept, it would be like if Jordan would have left Chicago after his 88-89 seoson and hooked up with Ewing in the Big Apple Chicago could have done nothing about it.... you know thats why Collins got the axe and phil was brought in, otherwise MJ would have bolted. Gilbert and Cavs will suffer way more than the city itself....its like the timberwolves...neither franchise is ever going to make it when their owners are scrounging every dime they can get for nothing put back in.....for LeBron to stay in Cleavland would make no sense.

You accuse the Cavs owner of being cheap and think going to Chicago is the best option for Lebron? The Cavs had the 4th highest payroll last year and Bulls have NEVER paid the luxury tax.

Payroll means squat...its capped.... and when the seats are sold out every home game than your payroll is payed for.....He rode out the LeBron Craze...the word I shoulda used is GREEDY!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:37 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:

Payroll means squat...its capped.... and when the seats are sold out every home game than your payroll is payed for.....He rode out the LeBron Craze...the word I shoulda used is GREEDY!!!

All the 4th highest payroll means is the cavs are limited with what they can do. It's not like baseball, there is the soft cap and then the hard cap in basketball.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 am

The Schwab wrote:
All the 4th highest payroll means is the cavs are limited with what they can do. It's not like baseball, there is the soft cap and then the hard cap in basketball.

If I understand it correctly, there is the Cap and then there is the luxury tax. You can exceed the Cap and still be fine. All it means is that you can't sign players(Maybe minimum contract guys? I'm not positive on that one) and if you trade it has to be dollar for dollar or have you making money.

Once you pass the luxury tax, you have to pay that player his salary, plus a dollar for dollar tax to the league and there is another 40% that comes in somewhere.

Example, if you give a player a contract that is 10 mill over the luxury tax, you pay the player his 10 mill, the league 10 mill, and 4 mill somewhere else. So 10 mill becomes 24 mill. That is the explanation I got from a former GM.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 am

Indy5 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

If I understand it correctly, there is the Cap and then there is the luxury tax. You can exceed the Cap and still be fine. All it means is that you can't sign players(Maybe minimum contract guys? I'm not positive on that one) and if you trade it has to be dollar for dollar or have you making money.

Once you pass the luxury tax, you have to pay that player his salary, plus a dollar for dollar tax to the league and there is another 40% that comes in somewhere.

Example, if you give a player a contract that is 10 mill over the luxury tax, you pay the player his 10 mill, the league 10 mill, and 4 mill somewhere else. So 10 mill becomes 24 mill. That is the explanation I got from a former GM.

In basketball there is the soft cap, there are a lot of ways you can exceed this (mid level exceptions, filling your roster to the minimum, a player you have "bird rights" on). The hard cap is not supposed to be exceeded, but if you do, you hit the nail on the head with what it will cost you.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

A "hard cap" is a cap you can't go over. The NBA doesn't have a "hard cap."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:55 am

this exactly how I have viewed LeBrons future, some on here have diagreed but I think they should read this article

Wilbon: Winning should be all that matters to LeBron
James needs to choose team with best chance of winning multiple titles
OPINION
By Michael Wilbon
Columnist
updated 11:31 p.m. CT, Thurs., July 1, 2010

This LeBron James decision shouldn't be all that difficult, really. He's going to make about $20 million a year wherever he signs to play. He's going to earn as much as another $50 million a year off the court whether he's playing for the Knicks, Clippers, Bulls, Heat, Nets or Cavaliers. It's not like LeBron is choosing between New York and Missoula, Mont. There's not a Sacramento or Oklahoma City among the free agent suitors. His lifestyle isn't going to vary much from one city to another because he's going to be filthy stinking Powerball rich wherever he goes. He'll have a gated estate and bodyguards, never fly commercial and have access to anything and everything the world has to offer.

The notion that he somehow needs New York City is beyond preposterous. Madison Avenue has been known to travel. If fame and fortune found Brett Favre in Green Bay, Wis., or for that matter LeBron in Cleveland, then he doesn't need New York.

Given that LeBron has said more than once that he wants to win championships, plural, and that he wants to be considered one of the greatest players ever, his decision ought to come down essentially to one thing: Where can he win and win quickly? The only way to enhance his brand, the only way to grow the business of Being LeBron, the only way to take his place alongside the greats in his profession is to win championships. He'll have more pressure to win next year than any player has ever had in his life, and he might as well make his call with that in mind.

He's completed seven NBA seasons already without winning a title. Any examination of league history tells us that even though LeBron's only 25 years old, he's still got no more than eight additional years (presuming relative health) of great basketball in him. Nobody in the history of the game has had more than that. It's not the age, it's the mileage. At the age of 25 Michael Jordan had played in 312 regular season games. At the age of 25 LeBron has played in 548 regular season games — and LeBron won't be 26 until December.

In other words, LeBron's window of opportunity for winning multiple championships, which is how legendary greatness is measured in the NBA, isn't as wide open as his age suggests.

Video: Cavs fan: 'LeBron, we still love you'
As a very, very smart NBA executive suggested to me recently, start taking real life factors into account. Wherever he goes, one year is likely to be lost to injury, either his or a critical teammate's. Another year is likely to be lost to another team being better. What, Kobe Bryant and the Lakers aren't going to seriously contend this coming season? Kevin Durant and Oklahoma City are young and potent. Another year is likely to be lost to a fluke, a Derek Fisher shot with four-tenths of a second left, or a Ralph Sampson, no-look turnaround, bounce-twice-off-the-rim-at-the-buzzer shot.

That takes LeBron down from eight potential championship seasons to five. heck, Kobe's already got five. Shaq and Duncan have four. LeBron's not even in the conversation yet.

So going to New York, even with a second A-list free agent, would be a waste of two more years at least. Even if Chris Bosh went with him, who's the Knicks' point guard? Where's the rebounding help, the specialists you need to win a championship? The Knicks don't have any of those things and can't acquire them together for at least two seasons. The Nets are further along, but we're still talking a third season. Cleveland hasn't done a thing to improve its roster, but hiring Byron Scott, who took New Jersey to the NBA Finals twice, might be the best thing the Cavaliers could have done. Problem is, Scott is going to inherit a roster, even if LeBron stays, that will begin the season behind Orlando, behind Boston, and probably behind Miami and Chicago. That's fifth in the Eastern Conference alone.

LeBron doesn't have the luxury, if he's looking to put his face on basketball's Mount Rushmore, to open the season with the fifth-best roster in the East. The Wizards can take that approach to building a contender. It's fascinating to observe the difference the last two days between Chicago, where every single conversation in the nation's third-largest city these days seems to start with, "You think LeBron is coming?" and Washington, D.C., where new Wizards owner Ted Leonsis is divorced from the current LeBron madness.

Leonsis, answering a question, said, "It actually feels good to not be holding our collective breath right now ... We will be the tortoise. We will rebuild slow and steady. We still want to win the race. Time will tell which plan works best." (At Redskins Park, Dan Snyder took note of this slow pace and asked: You can do that?)

Leonsis has two important things on his side: low expectations from his fan base and current success with building the Capitals with draft picks and smart trades — in other words, slow and steady.

Expectations for LeBron James, wherever he goes, will rage completely out of control. So his choices should have been pared before team executives started flying to Akron to give their recruiting pitches.

Knicks? Out. They have to be one of the least attractive teams in the league for him to join, with the expectation of winning. If LeBron goes to New York — and there are people in the Knicks organization who believe it's possible — he'd enter Year 10 of his career with all the fame in the world and zero championships, which means he made the wrong decision.

Nets? Out. Not winning the lottery and being unable to draft John Wall seem to have killed New Jersey's chances.

Clippers? Out. They've got a roster worth considering but an owner of unimaginable incompetence.

He should be left with Miami, presuming Dwyane Wade stays and Pat Riley can convince two more premier players to come to South Beach; and Chicago, where the Bulls already have a top-notch playmaker (Derrick Rose) and a threat to lead the league in rebounding (Joakim Noah).

Want to switch gears and go to Houston, where the Rockets are ready and have the pieces to facilitate a sign-and-trade, and still will be left with a roster than can seriously contend? That's understandable. The Rockets' GM, Daryl Morey, has already had just such a conversation with Chris Bosh, who reportedly listened, but has no such pressure guiding his interests.

Morey made the point that Bosh can join a team or a celebrity trio in Miami, which might not be as suited to win now, even with Riley coaching, as the hype over having such a threesome would indicate. If you don't think role players are important to winning championships, take a look at all those plays made over the years during championship runs by guys such as Michael Cooper, John Paxson, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Ron Harper, the aforementioned D. Fisher. Even a guy like James Posey, who helped Boston win two years ago, doesn't work for food. It takes money. Miami might be able to find some. The Knicks? Not so much. But it's up to LeBron to decide this is an urgent situation. If winning is the only thing to him, this might be his best chance to jump-start that part of his career.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:34 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:LeBron will end up in Miami

Good Call :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 am

Interesting tid bit from Gilbert...I actually agree with most of it....but I think for an owner to bash the man that filled the stadium, is real tacky..... he is also way off on the championship thing

Gilbert feels James quit on the Cavs during their second-round series against the Boston Celtics, who rallied from a 2-1 deficit to eliminate Cleveland.

"He quit,'' Gilbert said. "Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar.''

The Cavaliers were beaten by 32 points in Game 5. During the game, James appeared distracted and uninterested, often glaring at Cleveland's coaches as the Cavs tried to foul to get back into the game in the second half. James also made some puzzling post game comments, saying he had "spoiled'' people with his play over seven seasons.

Gilbert also said he believes James quit on the Cavs in Game 6 of their series in 2009 against Orlando.

"Go back and look at the tape,'' he said. "How many shots did he take?''

Gilbert, who has owned the Cavs for five years, said he was most disappointed by James' behavior in the months leading up to the superstar's announcement that he is going to Miami to play with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Gilbert said James never returned a single phone message or text since the end of the season and that the Cavs were not informed of James' decision until he went on the air.

Gilbert said Rich Paul, one of James' business partners, called the Cavs moments before the announcement.

"LeBron James needs to go to another team with two superstars already so he can win a championship,'' Gilbert said. "We will win a championship before [the Heat] do.''
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Cavs probably won't even make the playoffs before the Heat win a championship.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things